• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked my curiosity, went and checked.

Maaan, Bloodshot reborn is their breakout hit for june, 11k sold. Second place is Ninjak. NINJAK FFS.

then X-O and the other stuff hovers at the 7 to 5k range.

Given that Avatar is more than happy to keep Crossed around with its 5k monthly sales, i guess Valiant ain't doing too badly.

Also Crossed 100 selling barely 7k. Sad =/

Also

Zombeen x Korupt
Messi x Freeza
Kipp x Rocks

You can't ship yourself! Or do you just want senpai to notice you?

Maaan, Bloodshot reborn is their breakout hit for june, 11k sold. Second place is Ninjak. NINJAK FFS.

Given that Avatar is more than happy to keep Crossed around with its 5k monthly sales, i guess Valiant ain't doing too badly.

I love Valiant, but I have no idea how they stay in business.

Good lawd, Image comics the last bastion of indy books.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
My tier list would be:

Great:
GOTG
TWS
Avengers
Iron Man
Ant-Man

Good:
Captain America
Iron Man 3
AoU
The portal fight scene in Thor Dark World
Thor

Hmm:
The rest of Thor Dark World
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

Also I know Lebron James is getting all the props, but I think John Cena was a better athlete actor in Trainwreck.

Messi

You can't ship yourself! Or do you just want senpai to notice you?

I am sorry. Senpai never notices me. She used to be my best friend on here. Now it's Zombeen.
take that GrandHarrier

Wait. Where has GrandHarrier been recently?

I'm not sure how the math adds up, but they seem to be having success in their small part of the market. That's good enough for me.

AsfaeksBR

Is Sandman as good as people claim to be?
Really thinking about getting 1 Sandman Volume and 1 Batman volume every month to read through, mix things up a bit.

Any other good Vertigo comic? Fables? Is there a Fables Omnibus or something, like the Batman Volumes?

Really thinking about getting 1 Sandman Volume and 1 Batman volume every month to read through, mix things up a bit.

Any other good Vertigo comic? Fables? Is there a Fables Omnibus or something, like the Batman Volumes?
Yes. It is. Although I tell everyone new to sandman that it takes until issue #8 to find itself and its volume 2 where it truly starts to shine

volume 1 of Sandman aint really Sandman until #8 so stick with it

Sandman-8-4.jpg

Fables has only been collected in TPBs and OHCs, no omnibuses. Although, I'm not sure I get your meaning as I don't think there are any Batman omnibuses floating around.

Definitely check out Planetary. It was Wildstorm then Vertigo, but it's one of the best comics runs of all time. The omnibus is relatively inexpensive for the amount of content in it. Once you get a feel for Morrison's Batman stuff, then I suggest hitting up Doom Patrol.

Been reading a lot of comics with marvel unlimited again. I had read avengers+new avengers right up to the last issue of infinity, thought that was the stupidest thing, and gave up marvel for like 6 months (outside of ms marvel)

Got back into it, my to read list is like 104 items right now but it was like 140 a week ago, so i'm making some progress

saw ant man today

really liked it

probably #3 for me for MCU?

I like every movie right after its over, though. I'm not one of those guys who is groaning the entire time I'm in the theater and then feel good about being able to shit on it once its over
except when man of steel ended. Only movie in 28 years I HATED

What should I read first, Infinite Crisis or 52?

Identity Crisis -> Crisis of Conscience -> IC -> 52 -> Black Adam: The Dark Age

People give Identity Crisis a lot of flack but it's crucial to understanding why the league is falling apart. One major storyline in Identity Crisis is resolved in 52.

Sandman's a good comic but my enjoyment of it varied wildly. Some of the Shakespearean references were lost on me so those issues in particular I didn't enjoy so much.

Do you like to feel? Because Sandman will make you do it.

And I don't just mean sadness. You'll feel contempt, tenderness, forgotten, and most importantly hope.

Sandman is one of the finest comics ever made. It's so good, it won a World Fantasy Award, which was so controversial at the time they banned comics from the Short Fiction category!

There's LOTS of good Vertigo comics, just not that many recently, off the top of my head:
100 Bullets
The Unwritten
Y: The Last Man
American Vampire
Transmetropolitan
FBP: The Federal Bureau of Physics
Hellblazer (was a DC book until around #60 or so)
The Books of Magic (ties into Sandman a bit)
The Invisibles
iZombie
Preacher
Punk Rock Jesus
Sandman Mystery Theatre (not the same as Gaiman Sandman)
Joe the Barbarian (I don't think this is considered that good, but I love the shit out of it, plus it is only one book)
Pride of Baghdad (also only one book)

All worth your time, eventually of course. Man, this is why there should be an MU-like archive for DC, the Vertigo stuff alone would be incredible.

But yeah, Fables is a good place to start. There are Deluxe Editions available that collect the series and add tie-ins where necessary.

I'm not sure how the math adds up, but they seem to be having success in their small part of the market. That's good enough for me.

Given that they're also apparently one of the brands that pays the most dolla-per-page to artists, imma guess that the coupla dudes at the top are perfectly happy with not having a lambo collection or whatever. Probably also has something to do with running a lean and mean machine + #moneyballstrats.

I mean, we laugh at 5k sales, but they charge what, 4 dollah per ish? Can still be profitable if you don't have too many cooks in the kitchen. Add merch and TPB/Collection sales, and i can see it working.

Identity Crisis -> Crisis of Conscience -> IC -> 52

People give Identity Crisis a lot of flack but it's crucial to understanding why the league is falling apart.

Eh. I never read Identity, but I was able to pick up what was going on just fine in Infinite. Not necessary reading, IMO, so long as you know the general outline (and even then, they do a decent job of laying out the problems during the event).

Also: Waylon Jones (AKA Killer Croc) is Arsenal's AA sponsor, and that's amazing.

Eh. I never read Identity, but I was able to pick up what was going on just fine in Infinite. Not necessary reading, IMO, so long as you know the general outline (and even then, they do a decent job of laying out the problems during the event).

Also: Waylon Jones (AKA Killer Croc) is Arsenal's AA sponsor, and that's amazing.

I forgot to put in the original reason why in my post.

Mostly in 52 it's about the wrapping up of Ralph Dibny's storyline.

Given that they're also apparently one of the brands that pays the most dolla-per-page to artists, imma guess that the coupla dudes at the top are perfectly happy with not having a lambo collection or whatever. Probably also has something to do with running a lean and mean machine + #moneyballstrats.

I mean, we laugh at 5k sales, but they charge what, 4 dollah per ish? Can still be profitable if you don't have too many cooks in the kitchen. Add merch and TPB/Collection sales, and i can see it working.

$3 for solo series and $4 for events. Hmm yeah, they're definitely not making out like bandits, but I'm sure they're perfectly comfortable with that. It's a company built on passion rather than turning a profit.

However, with that film deal they cut recently, I can see their sales increasing a fair bit if the films turn out being good. Bloodshot with the John Wick directors sounds like it's got a solid shot of doing that.

However, with that film deal they cut recently, I can see their sales increasing a fair bit if the films turn out being good. Bloodshot with the John Wick directors sounds like it's got a solid shot of doing that.

That sounds incredible.

I know they planned to end at Harbinger Wars, but I hope we get Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps at some point, because I want to see the OT react to that title.

That sounds incredible.

I know they planned to end at Harbinger Wars, but I hope we get Bloodshot & H.A.R.D. Corps at some point, because I want to see the OT react to that title.

Heh. I'm actually thinking, even though they come in a little later in the Blooshot solo, they may introduce HARD Corps in the second Bloodshot film considering the role they play in Harbinger Wars. Should be pretty interesting to see how this whole thing ends up turning out.

By some miracle, they actually prove to be really successful and we get some more Valiant films... man, that would really be the dream.

Messi

Is there an article out there that can teach me more about how image is run and how they became as good as they are?

AsfaeksBR

Thanks, guys.
As someone who likes to get everything at once to complete the Collection as quickly as possible, I'm really working on not buying every comic you guys recommend.
Will try to get a feel for how much I'll read in a month, then get a feel for how much I can spend a month on comics while playing the bills, buying games, enjoying life and also saving, and then will start buying new series.

And then questions like "Should I get The Killing Joke and Sandman Volume 1 next month, or The Long Halloween and Sandman? Or maybe Volume 4 of the New 52's series?"

Fables has only been collected in TPBs and OHCs, no omnibuses. Although, I'm not sure I get your meaning as I don't think there are any Batman omnibuses floating around.

Definitely check out Planetary. It was Wildstorm then Vertigo, but it's one of the best comics runs of all time. The omnibus is relatively inexpensive for the amount of content in it. Once you get a feel for Morrison's Batman stuff, then I suggest hitting up Doom Patrol.

When I said "Batman Volumes" I refered to the Volumes of the New 52's series. But yeah, now I see that what I wrote is a bit confusing.

Is there an article out there that can teach me more about how image is run and how they became as good as they are?

There's a documentary floating around called The Image Revolution, but a lot of it is the early days. There is also a LOT of Liefeld stuff. Still, it's interesting.

Battleground was awful, fire everyone in the WWE management.

Can't believe they're wasting Lesnar's dates on the Undertaker, AGAIN. Guy can barely walk now. Watching EVO was the right choice for me, I think.

Messi

Spawn + letting creators keep their IP, no?

But what is the cut like? Like what's in it for image if not the ip.

--

Omg I am reading Saga and Hazels
breakfast screech has me rolling in laughter. Every panel where she is freaking out is killing me

REHHHHHHHHH REHHHHHHHH.

Owzers

There's a documentary floating around called The Image Revolution, but a lot of it is the early days. There is also a LOT of Liefeld stuff. Still, it's interesting.

Can't believe they're wasting Lesnar's dates on the Undertaker, AGAIN. Guy can barely walk now. Watching EVO was the right choice for me, I think.

I thought they were going to bring Sting in as a manager to rival the Authority, then instead they had old people wrestle. Now Undertaker is their next solution for hype. They fail at everything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yoooooooooo this twitch picture in picture across other apps feature is amazing

Infinite crisis. It leads straight into 52

Identity Crisis -> Crisis of Conscience -> IC -> 52 -> Black Adam: The Dark Age

People give Identity Crisis a lot of flack but it's crucial to understanding why the league is falling apart. One major storyline in Identity Crisis is resolved in 52.

Sandman's a good comic but my enjoyment of it varied wildly. Some of the Shakespearean references were lost on me so those issues in particular I didn't enjoy so much.

Thanks! Read Identitiy Crisis already and I bought IC and 52 during the sell a few weeks ago.

Cheska

The first 80 issues of Fables are spectacular, and I know a lot of people started to drop off after that, but I've still found the series to be enjoyable. It's ending this week with issue 150, which is a trade paperback in itself, so I'm sure they'll eventually collect in an omnibus/absolute edition format. However, that's likely going to to take yeeeeears knowing DC's history, so you're better off picking up the Deluxe Editions which are very nice and cost effective.

Messi

I just watched the trailer for the documentary and it looks cool. BUT I have realized that every time I see liefeld I think of Rafa. That is his face to me. Lol. He is ruined for me.

I thought they were going to bring Sting in as a manager to rival the Authority, then instead they had old people wrestle. Now Undertaker is their next solution for hype. They fail at everything.

SummerSlam: Because Filling WrestleMania With Old Guys Wasn't Enough

NXT Brooklyn is my SummerSlam this year.

Can Taker even survive another match with Lesnar?

I'm pretty sure if Brock suplexes Undertaker, the Deadman will explode into a thin mist. Taker will still win the match, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom