• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So good. Doom Patrol is just nonstop amazing. While I was reading it, I kept waiting for a dip in quality because how could anyone possibly keep up that pace? But the dip never came. It only got better and better.

And nice! That's a really good score.

Yeah, the villains are just so imaginative, I don't know how Morrison did it. The Brotherhood, the Scissormen, the Men from NOWHERE... it's just so good.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yeah, the villains are just so imaginative, I don't know how Morrison did it. The Brotherhood, the Scissormen, the Men from NOWHERE... it's just so good.

Yeah, just incredible. And what was insane to me was the amount of lore and background information created for villains/groups of villains who were only around for one or two issues.

Look, we know that the serious answer almost certainly involves various kinds of drugs.

11872123.gif

arkon

What's the reasoning of Marvel making a limited run on the Annihilation omnibuses last year? I looked into buying the series finally and they are already out of print and double the price from most sellers.
It's a business decision like any other. They'll have printed what they feel is the right amount to meet demand. Pretty sure omnibus sales figures are usually quite low. They're a niche within a niche's niche.

ErkieFresh

Neo Member
Hey guys. I wrote sort of a guide to getting people into comics that wouldn't normally read them. I tried to keep the focus narrow, only talking about what I think are the most accessible five comics, but I wanted to really sell them as being worthwhile for people who are normally comics-averse. I'd love to know what you think and if you feel that I missed something that deserves mention. http://www.fortfuego.com/new-blog/2015/7/20/d1desa0wtw491jneavbva2zhzicnek

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So, it may be old news that Scribd has comics, but they have every Valiant series published through December 2014. For $9 a month, it's pretty stellar for anyone that wants to play catch up on any series and missed out on the HB or doesn't want to throw down for trades.

i feel like this is a good time to repost this for all you non-Valiant heathens

Valiant Reading List

X-O Manowar 1-14
Harbinger 1-5
Bloodshot 1-9
Harbinger 6-10, 0

Harbinger Wars:
Bloodshot 10
Harbinger Wars 1, Harbinger 11, Bloodshot 11
Harbinger Wars 2, Harbinger 12, Bloodshot 12
Harbinger Wars 3, Harbinger 13, Bloodshot 13, Harbinger 14
Harbinger Wars 4

Bloodshot 0
X-O Manowar 15-18

Unity:
Unity 1, X-O Manowar 19
Unity 2, X-O Manowar 20
Unity 3, X-O Manowar 21
Unity 4, X-O Manowar 22

Harbinger 15-25, Harbinger: Faith 0, Harbinger: Bleeding Monk 0
X-O Manowar 23-25
Unity 5-7

Armor Hunters:
Armor Hunters 1, Unity 8, X-O Manowar 26
Armor Hunters 2, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot 1, Armor Hunters: Harbinger 1, Unity 9, X-O Manowar 27
Armor Hunters 3, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot 2, Armor Hunters: Harbinger 2, Unity 10, X-O Manowar 28, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot 3, Armor Hunters: Harbinger 3, Unity 11
Armor Hunters 4, X-O Manowar 29
Armor Hunters : Aftermath 1

and my new Launchpad-Approved Hat of the Season:

Hey guys. I wrote sort of a guide to getting people into comics that wouldn't normally read them. I tried to keep the focus narrow, only talking about what I think are the most accessible five comics, but I wanted to really sell them as being worthwhile for people who are normally comics-averse. I'd love to know what you think and if you feel that I missed something that deserves mention. http://www.fortfuego.com/new-blog/2015/7/20/d1desa0wtw491jneavbva2zhzicnek

the inclusion of Ms Marvel pleases me.

E the Shaggy

To the surprise of no one, Bendis reveals that the new Star Lord is
Kitty Pryde

Please Bendis, leave the book already. It's so bad.

Zombine

Banned

Its a hard list to argue with, and I particularly enjoy Private Eye as your #1 because it's quite dope. Southern Bastards is my favorite book of the past year hands down as well, but it's accessablity lies in your familiarity with certain themes in the book. It's not for everyone, but it is for those who are looking for something akin to a Tarantino film on print. It's kind of hard to dig into it right now because I'm at the gym, but there are a couple of other worthy titles you may want to consider as well.

To the surprise of no one, Bendis reveals that the new Star Lord is
Kitty Pryde

Please Bendis, leave the book already. It's so bad.

Please don't, Brian. I like your comic. If one voice really is going to influence your career choice that much, please, Brian, let it be mine and not his.

Ctrl+F "Valiant"

C'mon son!

will read later and comment

EDIT: well its ultimately a matter of opinion, and I'm far from the consensus, but I'm not sure Sex Criminals is a must-read.

i feel like this is a good time to repost this for all you non-Valiant heathens

Valiant Reading List

and my new Launchpad-Approved Hat of the Season:

Hell yes to everything. I wonder if we can start putting Valiant guides in the OP. That reading list is ace, and the fact that all of that is on Scribd makes it a great time to jump in.

Trashing Bendis on Guardians is so hip I have to wonder how much of it you guys have actually read. It isn't THAT bad. It's mediocre most of the time, sure, and I'd love to get somebody new on the book, but it's not the travesty people make it out to be. The Trial of Jean Grey is one of the best pure crossovers of the decade, and the Venom planet arc was a lot of fun. He doesn't write a great Starlord but he's got most of the other characters down.

What is it about Bendis on Guardians - or, rather, the idea of Bendis on Guardians - that repulses people so much?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone seen gketter? he might have finally snapped and raided MU offices, Michael Douglas un Falling Down style

tumblr_m6xc1trTti1qi2lrlo3_500.gif

E the Shaggy

Trashing Bendis on Guardians is so hip I have to wonder how much of it you guys have actually read. It isn't THAT bad. It's mediocre most of the time, sure, and I'd love to get somebody new on the book, but it's not the travesty people make it out to be. The Trial of Jean Grey is one of the best pure crossovers of the decade, and the Venom planet arc was a lot of fun. He doesn't write a great Starlord but he's got most of the other characters down.

What is it about Bendis on Guardians - or, rather, the idea of Bendis on Guardians - that repulses people so much?

You're right. It's a mostly mediocre book that should be one of the best in Marvel's stable. Go read all the Annihilation/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative stuff for what is arguably the best cosmic stories Marvel ever published.

Once the movie was announced, they could have given the book back to Abnett/Landing/Giffen to really capitalize on the rush of popularity. Instead, they gave it to Bendis who jumped on the book because a movie was coming out, rather than actually having stories to tell.

The Trial of Jean Grey was decompressed even for Bendis standards. The Venom arc made no sense with the character (Symbiotes were friendly this whole time? The hell??)

I've been reading most of it through Marvel Unlimited, hoping it would get better but it just doesn't. I don't think he gets the characters at all and their are entire arcs where nothing happens at all, like when they all got disassembled or whatever. Having Rocket say "BLAM! MURDERED YOU!" over and over is shitty writing.

You're right. It's a mostly mediocre book that should be one of the best in Marvel's stable. Go read all the Annihilation/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative stuff for what is arguably the best cosmic stories Marvel ever published.

Once the movie was announced, they could have given the book back to Abnett/Landing/Giffen to really capitalize on the rush of popularity. Instead, they gave it to Bendis who jumped on the book because a movie was coming out, rather than actually having stories to tell.

The Trial of Jean Grey was decompressed even for Bendis standards. The Venom arc made no sense with the character (Symbiotes were friendly this whole time? The hell??)

I've been reading most of it through Marvel Unlimited, hoping it would get better but it just doesn't. I don't think he gets the characters at all and their are entire arcs where nothing happens at all, like when they all got disassembled or whatever. Having Rocket say "BLAM! MURDERED YOU!" over and over is shitty writing.

I read the DnA saga and I am a huge fan.

Hey, at least you're reading the book you're criticizing....I have no issue with anyone for whom that is the case. It just seems like every time the book comes up a bunch of people pile onto Bendis who obviously aren't reading the book.

It's not a vote against Bendis on Guardians, it's a vote for a Steampunk Timemachine that spits out new issues of Annihilation.

PsychBat!

Banned

Pretty much this. None of the characters resemble their DnA selves. This is Bendis' laziest effort on a team book, so much so that I think that he just doesn't give a fuck about what happened a few years ago (and no Birdie, it's not ancient history) and the characters. This has been the lamest iteration of the Guardians to date.

I've read up to the second to last issue of Guardians, just to add.

Pretty much this. None of the characters resemble their DnA selves. This is Bendis' laziest effort on a team book, so much so that I think that he just doesn't give a fuck about what happened a few years ago (and no Birdie, it's not ancient history) and the characters. This has been the lamest iteration of the Guardians to date.

Johns' JLA Superman bears no resemblance to the current Truth iteration. Both are great books that manage to exist without erasing the other.

ShrugEmoticon.typedout

PsychBat!

Banned
Johns' JLA Superman bears no resemblance to the current Truth iteration. Both are great books that manage to exist without erasing the other.

ShrugEmoticon.typedout

You know, I typed that out because I knew you would respond to this discussion. :p

Yeah, I think this is true. If wishes were horses, we'd all still be riding the Annihilation Wave, but it's over guys. DnA had a good run.
Don't presume that we criticize Bendis' Guardians because "BENDIS" next time, either.

Zombine

Banned
I want Bendis to take Guardians out of the equation, write Kitty In Space, and then have Kitty In Space x Uncanny X-Men crossover in 2016.

E the Shaggy

Yeah, I think this is true. If wishes were horses, we'd all still be riding the Annihilation Wave, but it's over guys. DnA had a good run.

I'm not saying that the book will suffer under anyone that isn't DnA, but man oh man is it suffering under Bendis. The book requires having strength in his two weakest areas: Teams and Space. When every alien character sounds like they're from the Bronx and Bendis has trouble juggling multiple characters at once, you're gonna have a bad time.

Would have loved to have seen Fraction on it, or Yost, or hell bring in Grant Morrison. Imagine the stories we'd get from him.

PsychBat!

Banned
so you must have known i had a tautologically sound answer to it

No. I knew you would respond to it in jest regarding time travel and your usual shenanigans regarding DnA/Bendis Guardian discussions. Even though DnA is recent history, you still insist that it's a blast from the past or it came from once upon a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom