• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember how Vargas bodied Rogue, Beast, and Psylocke?

Remember how he actually killed Psylocke?

Remember Vargas?

Vargas from Power Stone is the only Vargas I remember.

latest

Afrodium

Banned
So I read Final Crisis recently and really liked it. I didn't find it all that difficult to follow though and didn't quite see how it's a deconstruction of comic books and the superhero genre. Yeah, it was pretty heady for a corporate comics event and the implication that the multiversal worlds were really just different places (comic books) where these stories were told was kind of meta, but at he end of the day it was just about a big bad guy taking over the world and then getting beaten in the last issue. Am I missing something?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I read Final Crisis recently and really liked it. I didn't find it all that difficult to follow though and didn't quite see how it's a deconstruction of comic books and the superhero genre. Yeah, it was pretty heady for a corporate comics event and the implication that the multiversal worlds were really just different places (comic books) where these stories were told was kind of meta, but at he end of the day it was just about a big bad guy taking over the world and then getting beaten in the last issue. Am I missing something?

Nah, you got it. A lot of people get tripped up trying to comprehend every single tiny little thing that's going on. Final Crisis works best when you just kind of roll with it and don't try to think about every tiny little detail. Just kinda feel the epicness of it.

You must have seen this several times

I just came out of Ant-Man and I'm forgetting it right now

Lying! You just posted the synopsis a couple of posts above. Though the Cure are from the 80s, not the 70s.

something something McGuffin something quip quip pre-viz action scene something something announcing backstory out loud something villain nobody remembers something something quip quip heroic sacrifice(but not really because Marvel) something something 3rd act climax where big CG things crash into each other quip smash, credits, commercial for next episode after credits

Throw in some 70s pop songs and an overriding self-satisfied attitude of "WE'RE REALLY WACKY AND IRREVERENT (but not really)"

Scene.

Owzers

Trump is going to be on O'Reilly tonight, you have one chance to turn this all around Donald! Or i could watch Raw despite saying i wouldn't.

Owzers

He's been around more than GH.

Hm. Which one is going to be the bigger disappointment?

This donald story arc is great, who'd have thought he'd go after prisoners of war? Illegal Immigrants? Sure, that's an easy, but he really went for it. Wrestling on the other hand.....i don't know if i want to see Brock pretend to look scared of the Undertaker in highlights every twenty minutes.

edit: I still need to watch Humans....i am caught up with Wayward Pines and that's it, but i like it.

edit: flipped to raw and undertaker is staring me down.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Grandharrier is also missing in action. Although he may be in zombeens freezer.

I'm worried somewhere there is a Marvel intern with a axe on his head and a frothing gketter asking where his star wars is. Check the news y'all

Rai Vol 1 - why the FUCK did I not order the two volumes together? I need to have more faith in the Kindt-Valiant power. What an incredible read. The plot, the mythos, the art, Lula - it's just so freaking good.

Here are some pages so ya'll don't need to use your imagination.

Grandharrier is also missing in action. Although he may be in zombeens freezer.

Wait, he was in here earlier... what happened?

PsychBat!

Banned
I thought we weren't going to go back and forth on this...you're free to disagree with my stance and leave it at that. I don't like uninformed pile-ons in any case, Bendis Guardians is just an example. It muddies the water of actual discussion to have people who don't know anything about what's happening in a book weigh in with how bad they think the book is. Maybe it is a little unfair to those people, but does that kind of posting really add anything of merit to a discussion?

Since this is starting to get kind of academic, I suppose I should point out that in all likelihood I have engaged in that sort of posting here on comicgaf at some point. I think most of us do. It's only problematic when there's enough of it to drown out discussion.

Like I said, I don't know. All I know is that this discussion did not help my self esteem.

just finished the Unity event... might need to skip ahead and check Rai out

Wait, since you're already that far, read Unity vol 2 Trapped by Webnet. You'll get some added context from that. It's not at all necessary, but might as well since you're already up to that point.

Messi

Rai Vol 1 - why the FUCK did I not order the two volumes together? I need to have more faith in the Kindt-Valiant power. What an incredible read. The plot, the mythos, the art, Lula - it's just so freaking good.

Wait, he was in here earlier... what happened?

He had to be dealth with, it was done.

You don't recall this fellow right here?

Nope. Not even a little bit.

The art is pretty enough, but what's the story like?

Nope. Not even a little bit.

The art is pretty enough, but what's the story like?

Very engaging. It's standalone, as it takes place in several thousand years ahead of the rest of the Valiant stuff. The really incredible thing is how realized the whole lore is. It certainly draws a bit from the Valiant universe as a more involved reader would know it, but it feels like it's entirely its own thing.

I'm not really sure how to sum it up better than a regular synopsis would, but I can try. The story takes place in 4001 on a satellite over Earth containing several major cities of different nations - New Japan, Old Los Angeles, a few others that haven't been mentioned. It follows Rai, who is a sentinel for a larger disembodied intelligence known as Father, who investigates the first murder to take place in a thousand years. As it unfolds, other characters get dragged into the investigation, and you learn more about Rai and the significance of the murder.

Aaaand it's on Scribd.

Just got home from work so haven't looked closely yet. And I haven't been posting as much because work has been nuts this month.

At least I saw that epic EVO final last night. Leave it to razer to have a product break

Thankfully it didn't end the tournament, but it really just killed the last round.

Afrodium

Banned
Trying to get in to Superman what is the difference between Action Comics and Superman?

If you're trying to get into Superman I'd recommend reading All-Star Superman, Superman Birthright, and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? instead of trying to jump into his ongoing stories. You can also look up some other recommended Superman trades, but those are my recommendations. It's a cheaper way to get into the character and the content is of much higher quality.

Also, I haven't read Superman or Action Comics so I don't know the difference.

So I was reading A Death in the Family and of course the Joker is in it and the art has a really exaggerated chin and I came to the conclusion that I didn't like that version. I started to think about what has been my favorite visual representation of The Joker and I thought it would be interesting to talk about it here. Obviously this is not all of them but I found some pics.

I'm going to sound even more like a Capullo fanboy that I already am but I really like the dapper slicked back hair look of the Joker from Endgame. What say you ComicGAF?
TAS is my favorite. I grew up with the design yeah, but he's just great.

I think Joker from Endgame is mostly okay but I just don't like the shaved sides thing that Capullo is all about. Not my thing. I like ElNarez's answer with Jock though, that one piece he did with Joker for The Black Mirror is DOPE.

I read the first... 4 issues of this earlier in the year? Only Valiant I've read and I really dug it. Cyberpunk styled Japan is too cool.
Trying to get in to Superman what is the difference between Action Comics and Superman?
I'm not so sure what's going on right now but at the beginning of New 52 AC was basically an origin story while Superman was current stuff. They're just sister books really, like Batman along with Detective Comics or Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom