• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second greatest single issue ever, behind that Mallah and the Brain issue.

Preacher is one of my all-time favorites. I'm not the hugest fan of how far Ennis goes at times with the crude humor, but any negatives I feel are totally crossed out by the insane peaks that he hits. So many amazing moments and such incredible characters and dialogue and everything and aaahhhh I love Preacher.

The Boys.

Thinking I liked Beard Hunter slightly more than the Mallah/Brain issue, but they were both incredible.

Man, I was already on the verge of ordering Book 1 of Preacher, then you give it the Kipp endorsement, what is a boy of low disposable income to do in times like these

The worst with Amazon are higher page count paperbacks. Sure, just dump them all together loosely in a box that's too big for them. That can never end badly with damaged covers or pages from them smashing together!

I rather they put the bigger ones in a mailer, but nope, makes too much sense! Let's put it in an oversized box so it bangs around a ton!

I gave up on Amazon, last time i bought a book from them it took 3 tries to get a Hellboy Library without dents and the one i ended up with still wasn't great. IST or DCBS.

My main issue is how damn long IST takes. Even with FedEx shipping. It doesn't help that I always seem to order one book it takes them 5 or so days to find in their warehouse.

If the price is right, I'll go with Amazon and send it back as many times as I need to.

Coriolanus and I have no handlers. The manga flows freely in our veins.

Wonder what happened to that guy that picked up LW&C. Aside from the brief blurb about book being baller, we haven't heard from him again.

To be fair i don't even distinguish between manga and comics. They all just stories and then sometimes i realize that i'm reading left to right when i should've been reading right to left or whatever. #abovetheinfluence

Man, I was already on the verge of ordering Book 1 of Preacher, then you give it the Kipp endorsement, what is a boy of low disposable income to do in times like these

Hit the library?

My main issue is how damn long IST takes. Even with FedEx shipping. It doesn't help that I always seem to order one book it takes them 5 or so days to find in their warehouse.

If the price is right, I'll go with Amazon and send it back as many times as I need to.

Oh, I'm pretty certain that's because IST doesn't keep all (most? none?) of the books they sell in stock, they just get them when they're being sold.

Amazon for me is there for when IST doesn't have a book available and that's about it.

I ordered Doom Patrol off of Amazon and they shipped it in a box a little bigger than the book and surrounded it with those air bubble things. Now, the Doom Patrol Omnibus is more than 8 pounds, so when I opened it up I found the book with some deflated plastic bags around it. Luckily my copy was fine but I just thought that was funny.

Also, I dunno if anyone else, except fauxtrot (I think), goes to Evo but I'm gonna try to go next year. If anyone else is interested you should try to go so we can meet up and talk about Messi.

Thinking I liked Beard Hunter slightly more than the Mallah/Brain issue, but they were both incredible.

Preacher exists pretty much solely to refute the validity of print. Its hardcovers are regular sized and printed on newsprint.

Enjoy.

Hit the library?

Without having to lower my standard, I mean.

I'm usually pretty flush, just a bunch of crap came up at the same time and I've bought a bunch of books in the past week already. I supposed I will just wait a bit.

Preacher exists pretty much solely to refute the validity of print. Its hardcovers are regular sized and printed on newsprint.

Enjoy.

Wasn't planning on doing the HCs though. The newer TPBs cover the same content.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Yeah, regardless of which is better, they fill up the 1 and 2 slots of my favorite single issues of all time. So amazing.
Which is another thing I love about Doom Patrol. It just flips from incredible drama/horror/whatever to absolutely brilliant pure humor. I had no idea Grant Morrison was so hilarious until I read Doom Patrol.

And nice :D
I feel like I hold so much power right now... I'll hold off on further recommendations until your pool of disposable income refills a bit.
But yeah, definitely let me know how you like Preacher! I re-read it semi-recently and I already want to re-read it again. It's one of my favorite things ever.

And regarding IST taking forever, that's what a massive backlog of unread comics is for! My shelf full of stuff I haven't read it yet acts as a buffer for IST's long shipment times.

Oh, on another note, just 4 more days of this stupid desk job and then I'll have a bit of free time again! Comics here I come!

Enjoy.

As a counterpoint, the new TPBs are printed on great paper, have those fabulously soft and amazing feeling covers, and are INCREDIBLE value. Just over $10 for like 400 pages off the top of my head. I wouldn't trade my 6 massive Preacher TPBs for anything.

As a counterpoint, the new TPBs are printed on great paper, have those fabulously soft and amazing feeling covers, and are INCREDIBLE value. Just over $10 for like 400 pages off the top of my head. I wouldn't trade my 6 massive Preacher TPBs for anything.

Well that's good to hear. Digital doesn't fare much better with most of the early issues stuck in SD hell.

Yeah, regardless of which is better, they fill up the 1 and 2 slots of my favorite single issues of all time. So amazing.
Which is another thing I love about Doom Patrol. It just flips from incredible drama/horror/whatever to absolutely brilliant pure humor. I had no idea Grant Morrison was so hilarious until I read Doom Patrol.

And nice :D
I feel like I hold so much power right now... I'll hold off on further recommendations until your pool of disposable income refills a bit.
But yeah, definitely let me know how you like Preacher! I re-read it semi-recently and I already want to re-read it again. It's one of my favorite things ever.

And regarding IST taking forever, that's what a massive backlog of unread comics is for! My shelf full of stuff I haven't read it yet acts as a buffer for IST's long shipment times.

I had an inkling Morrison had a good sense of humor from some of the B&R and Batman Inc I read, but Doom Patrol slays me.

Hmm alright I guess I can afford to do this first TPB for Preacher. I'll see how I like it before ordering the rest. I'm not too familiar with Ennis, though I know his standout work (this, Punisher, Hellblazer).

My main problem is how compulsive I am. I order stuff that I want to read at that minute, then I have to wait; by the time it gets to me, I'm on to the next thing (which may or may not already be on my shelf). I eventually get back to what I ordered, but I typically jump around a bit before doing so.

Kipp

Oh, Launchpad, one thing I forgot to mention that's mildly important is check out where the one-shots fit into the reading order for Preacher before you start reading it. The one thing the TPBs kind of drop the ball on is not having the one-shots in the correct order. They just kind of randomly plop them at the back of the TPBs without regard to the reading order.
They don't add anything to the main story, but they do rely on the information from the main story. So basically, it won't hurt your enjoyment of the main story at all to read them after they were intended to be read in the reading order, but you will be mildly confused in the one-shot and possibly spoil a plot development in the main story if you read them before they were intended.

Also worth noting that the one-shots aren't half as good as the main story. They're worth reading, but just know that they don't even come close to the main story in terms of quality. Some of them are certainly better than others though.

Oh, Launchpad, one thing I forgot to mention that's mildly important is check out where the one-shots fit into the reading order for Preacher before you start reading it. The one thing the TPBs kind of drop the ball on is not having the one-shots in the correct order. They just kind of randomly plop them at the back of the TPBs without regard to the reading order.
They don't add anything to the main story, but they do rely on the information from the main story. So basically, it won't hurt your enjoyment of the main story at all to read them after they were intended to be read in the reading order, but you will be mildly confused in the one-shot and possibly spoil a plot development in the main story if you read them before they were intended.

Also worth noting that the one-shots aren't half as good as the main story. They're worth reading, but just know that they don't even come close to the main story in terms of quality. Some of them are certainly better than others though.

Ok, I've got a guide for it now. Thanks for the heads up.

Kipp

Well that's good to hear. Digital doesn't fare much better with most of the early issues stuck in SD hell.

Hmm alright I guess I can afford to do this first TPB for Preacher. I'll see how I like it before ordering the rest. I'm not too familiar with Ennis, though I know his standout work (this, Punisher, Hellblazer).

My main problem is how compulsive I am. I order stuff that I want to read at that minute, then I have to wait; by the time it gets to me, I'm on to the next thing (which may or may not already be on my shelf). I eventually get back to what I ordered, but I typically jump around a bit before doing so.

Fair enough. Some people just don't like Ennis' writing, so I guess it's a good call to make sure you like him before going all in. If you do like it though, you'll be pretty bummed that you have to wait for the next volume to arrive. :p

Ennis' Punisher is one of my other favorite things. Particularly his Marvel Knights Punisher (even though MAX is also amazing, but for other reasons). His Marvel Knights Punisher has a very similar tone to Preacher. It's outlandish and incredibly fun. Though it doesn't have the amazing relationships, dialogue, and characterization that Preacher has.

And ah yeah, (when I used to read comics regularly) I was the same way. I'd order something from IST and be super hyped about it, but then by the time it arrived I was on to the next thing. Leading to having 3 volumes of Prophet sitting on my shelf unread because I bought the first 3 volumes totally blind for some reason because I felt really strongly about wanting to read them for unknown reasons. Haha

Ok, I've got a guide for it now. Thanks for the heads up.

Sweet. No problem.
It's not a huge deal, since the one-shots don't add anything to the main story, it's just a good thing to be aware of.

And ah yeah, (when I used to read comics regularly) I was the same way. I'd order something from IST and be super hyped about it, but then by the time it arrived I was on to the next thing. Leading to having 3 volumes of Prophet sitting on my shelf unread because I bought the first 3 volumes totally blind for some reason because I felt really strongly about wanting to read them for unknown reasons. Haha

More often than not, I forget what I had in an order and when it arrives it's like a surprise to find out what's in the box. Then it's like "oohhh yeah I was going to read that... for some reason.."

Whelp. Thankfully everyone here has seen Star Wars >_>

Your phone's ringing Messi.

12_zps48cbqhwr.gif

Ok so I finally started reading Silver Surfer. Wow this series is so fucking charming

i only have one friend who reads comics seriously and he just moved to socal to take a position at DC editing Superman

i'm happy for him, but bummed i lost another east coast nerd bro
Nice. Hope he does good work. Otherwise I'll be sure to talk shit about the title :p

Halfway through Book of Death this morning. Gotta say, Gill is upping his game.
Valiant stays Valiant.

c6249_ORIG-jack_nicholson_nodding.gif

I honestly haven't read it yet. I'll likely trade wait or at least until the mini is done. Sad they won't be collecting Legends of the Geomancer; hopefully they backtrack on that.

Same here being able to talk comics with people in person would be awesome.
Some of my friends like comic movies, but as for actual comics they have little interest.

I've never met anyone who reads comics like I do.

One guy I met through school who was really into comic movies and shows asked me some questions about comics recently. It was like opening the floodgates. I started dropping all my comics knowledge on him, and strangely he was actually really interested in the DC/Mahvel universe going-ons. If I had known him a little better, I'd have recommended some stuff, but he was really just a dude I knew because we had some classes together.

One of my friends is a massive comic fan but she's stopped reading them because, in part, she got tired of reboot/major retcon/lack of growth nonsense. When talking to her about the details (she's still vaguely aware of some of the more general stuff) of some of the more recent stuff you can just see the "I do not really miss this" on her face. But she's still super knowledgeable about characters and older storylines and is open to hearing about new stuff, so that works.

Messi

Ok so I finally started reading Silver Surfer. Wow this series is so fucking charming

Nice. Hope he does good work. Otherwise I'll be sure to talk shit about the title :p

Dawn is just amazing. Slott has created two charming characters in the past few years. Dawn and Anna Maria. He has that kind of relationship down.

Enjoy the surfer ride.

Owzers

One of my friends is a massive comic fan but she's stopped reading them because, in part, she got tired of reboot/major retcon/lack of growth nonsense. When talking to her about the details (she's still vaguely aware of some of the more general stuff) of some of the more recent stuff you can just see the "I do not really miss this" on her face. But she's still super knowledgeable about characters and older storylines and is open to hearing about new stuff, so that works.

no love for Image comics?

Kipp

Aaaahhh. I'm getting so excited for my new job/leaving my current job. It's all starting to become real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom