• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glue binding

AfnaGmfl.jpg

in 2015

Huh. I don't condone this nonsense, but it seems to be only with their classic series from the 90s. None of the reboot stuff has that.

Pretty lame to be honest.

Also, it seems to be just the X-O Manowar Classic Omnibus that has those black borders.

True, it doesn't look like a wide spread problem. I am interested in Archer & Armstrong but it will have to wait a bit. Too many other books on my to-read list.

Just read Green Arrow #41,42. Sort of a drastic shift? I figured the Panopticon stuff in 41 was just setup for a later plotline,
not part of the current plot.
I mean, there's a solid story to be told here in terms of the surveillance state and police brutality (Ollie gives a good explanation for why such tough-on-crime programs invariably hurt more than they help), but I was
kind of looking forward to some kinda semi-magic storyline with, like, actual monster Nightbird things.
Still, the actual storyline is okay too. Action Comics is doing a better job of tackling those themes, though. GA's take is a tad on the nose.

True, it doesn't look like a wide spread problem. I am interested in Archer & Armstrong but it will have to wait a bit. Too many other books on my to-read list.

Share your thoughts when you do. A&A isn't really my speed, but it's a good book and a lot of people who read Valiant love it.

Actually no. He uses no reference material.

And a lot of artists do nude commissions but keep those under wraps and don't post them.

Cho doesn't care.

he definitely uses photo reference

he may not use it for comics, I wouldnt know, but he certainly uses it for realistic drawing like the Mary Jane one. Unless you think he drew Katniss Everdeen out of memory

and just happened to draw it exactly like this photo

To me thats kind of beside the point. His talent isnt in question.

The way Frank Cho does nude/nsfw/sexy commissions/sketches shows a pretty gross view of sex and women imo. The difference between his nude/nsfw/sexy commissions/sketches and that of someone like Pichelli is pretty fucking big even if the subject is the same

I'm not sure I get the whole big deal about Cho drawing a nude of a character for a commission. Besides the fact that there's nothing inherently slutty, lewd or sleazy about the nude form. Hell in art school 4 years of drawing classes and we never had a model not be nude. I'm not seeing the big deal about it.

Calcium

Banned
I'm not sure I get the whole big deal about Cho drawing a nude of a character for a commission. Besides the fact that there's nothing inherently slutty, lewd or sleazy about the nude form. Hell in art school 4 years of drawing classes and we never had a model not be nude. I'm not seeing the big deal about it.

I'm curious, when said nude models came into the room did anyone shout "Holy wheat cakes!"?

I'm curious, when said nude models came into the room did anyone shout "Holy wheat cakes!"?

No but none of us were married to them. I'm sure there were times when they're husbands/wives/girlfriends/boyfriends said similar.

All though there was the one male model a few of the female students made giant bulging eyes at, and mother holy shit when he dropped his pants.

Why did Yen Press decide to print omnibuses.
Ugh.

It was great, but I don't know if I can take more of this garbage.

?

This one is pretty solid. I remember you had an issue with the spine bending; I can say with 100% certainty that was not an issue for me.

Not until mid-November. :(

Ah well, you could always read Monster Musume in the meantime.

Another lewd book, I presume?

actually, I know full well what it is lol

he definitely uses photo reference

he may not use it for comics, I wouldnt know, but he certainly uses it for realistic drawing like the Mary Jane one. Unless you think he drew Katniss Everdeen out of memory

and just happened to draw it exactly like this photo

To me thats kind of beside the point. His talent isnt in question.

The way Frank Cho does nude/nsfw/sexy commissions/sketches shows a pretty gross view of sex and women imo. The difference between his nude/nsfw/sexy commissions/sketches and that of someone like Pichelli is pretty fucking big even if the subject is the same

Used a reference for an image for a real life person.

Really?

I like you. But... that is a stupid argument. OF course he uses a reference when drawing a real life person.

And here is a non nude one from Pichelli.

pinups-sketch.jpg

Just finished Prison School.

Ughh, I'm having to wait another week because of my IST order mess up with Aphrodite IX HC.

Really looking forward to reading it.

Anyway decided to substitute Aphrodite IX for a Hellboy Library Edition Vol 1, so finally collecting that series.

Also the Kabuki Library Edition is HUGE, I was expecting it to be the same size as the Fear Agent books but it's wider.

Nah, I just don't like people saying things like the way a person draws is wrong when the person is one of the few artists who can draw females with proper anatomy with none of the shitty brokeback poses.

Who also, remember, donated a huge fund to a notable charity for abuse victims.

Monster Musume is surprisingly lewd, but it's also cute and pretty well-written, considering the plot.

I know a little bit about that one. I looked it up at one point.

I'll note it down on my "Freeza recommended" list, along with JL3K, but I wouldn't say I'm actively looking for more manga at the moment. I haven't even read some manga that is pretty much essential like Berserk.

Ughh, I'm having to wait another week because of my IST order mess up with Aphrodite IX HC.

Really looking forward to reading it.

Anyway decided to substitute Aphrodite IX for a Hellboy Library Edition Vol 1, so finally collecting that series.

Also the Kabuki Library Edition is HUGE, I was expecting it to be the same size as the Fear Agent books but it's wider.

Damn that blows man. CheapGraphicNovels and Midtown Comics still have Aphrodite IX in stock if you've got the cash for it still.

Lewdness with this prison school smut

I told ya man. It's coming. What I didn't tell you was
I'm one of them.

Used a reference for an image for a real life person.

Really?

I like you. But... that is a stupid argument. OF course he uses a reference when drawing a real life person.

And here is a non nude one from Pichelli.
Yup. I think that Pichelli one is leagues ahead of Cho's. If you don't see the difference, well maybe how about the fact that in Pichelli's commission it's not about men? As in, the commission isn't about man's reaction to a woman's body. It's just female characters partaking in power play. Big, big difference. Cho's nude/nsfw/sexy drawings are almost always actually about man and the male gaze.

You said he doesnt use reference with no qualifier. I gave evidence strongly suggesting that he does in realistic drawings like the MJ piece. If you provided anything that says differently, I must have missed it.

also, you should probably link to the image rather than post it.

Nah, I just don't like people saying things like the way a person draws is wrong when the person is one of the few artists who can draw females with proper anatomy with none of the shitty brokeback poses.

Who also, remember, donated a huge fund to a notable charity for abuse victims.
You're talking to someone who considers himself sex positive, and a fan of how Sejic and Manara draw women. My issues are with his attitudes that in turn impact the way he depicts women. If you want a longform explanation, I can try finding the time today/week to go over it. Although it would probably better serve you to read articles by women on why they think his work is problematic. Not only for their views but Cho's shitty responses.

And if you don't think Cho calling his female critics humorless and telling them to relax is problematic, then maybe you should also read feminist writing as to why that is mysogynist.

I don't think donating any amount absolves him of shitty attitudes. The same way winning an NAACP award didnt absolve Donald Sterling of shit. I can continue to call him out on his shit.

Yup. I think that Pichelli one is leagues ahead of Cho's. If you don't see the difference, well maybe how about the fact that in Pichelli's commission it's not about men? As in, the commission isn't about man's reaction to a woman's body. It's just female characters partaking in power play. Big, big difference. Cho's nude/nsfw/sexy drawings are almost always actually about man and the male gaze.

You said he doesnt use reference with no qualifier. I gave evidence strongly suggesting that he does in realistic drawings like the MJ piece. If you provided anything that says differently, I must have missed it.

also, you should probably link to the image rather than post it.

You're talking to someone who considers himself sex positive, and a fan of how Sejic and Manara draw women. My issues are with his attitudes that in turn impact the way he depicts women. If you want a longform explanation, I can try finding the time today/week to go over it. Although it would probably better serve you to read articles by women on why they think his work is problematic. Not only for their views but Cho's shitty responses.

And if you don't think Cho calling his female critics humorless and telling them to relax is problematic, then maybe you should also read feminist writing as to why that is mysogynist.

I don't think donating any amount absolves him of shitty attitudes. The same way winning an NAACP award didnt absolve Donald Sterling of shit. I can continue to call him out on his shit.

Why didn't you link the female artist who jumped to his defense on that shit? I did read the articles. As well as everything else. I guarantee more female artists would of jumped to his defense if they knew they wouldn't of been crucified. And the Manara pose, is the same damn pose Spidey does all the time.

NAACP did that BEFORE it was found out he was a closet racist.

I don't read feminist writting due to the fact that half of them will label something misogynist only when it fits there needs.

See GoT. A series with horrible things happening to everybody and they threw a fit when a female character got raped. When guys have been castrated on the show.

"Misogynist" is applied to too many things and rapidly losing its meaning, maybe you should read up on psychologist's opinion and rape counselors on the creation of the term "rape culture" and how it actually is harming real rape victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom