• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Got this lady in the custom figure swap I do once/twice a year on another site. :D

IMAG0289.jpg

Also got my Guardians of the Galaxy boxset in from Entertainment Earth but didn't open it yet.

Why didn't you link the female artist who jumped to his defense on that shit? I did read the articles. As well as everything else. I guarantee more female artists would of jumped to his defense if they knew they wouldn't of been crucified. And the Manara pose, is the same damn pose Spidey does all the time.

While I think Manara's work is great, I can see how people find the piece problematic. Is seeing the same thing difficult for you?

Also, it sounds like you are speculating and speaking on behalf of female artists? Is that normal for you? Why not link to the piece if you think it should not be omitted from the discussion?

'I don't read feminist writting due to the fact that half of them will label something misogynist only when it fits there needs. '

I probably should stop replying to you here. Their need to be seen as equals? Yeah fuck that shit. amirite

In the future, I hope you look at this statement of yours and smh in real life at yourself.

See GoT. A series with horrible things happening to everybody and they threw a fit when a female character got raped. When guys have been castrated on the show.
Horrible things happen to women in Mad Max and you didn't see many call it sexist did you? In fact, many celebrated it (myself included) as a feminist action movie. If you can understand why there is a difference in reception between the two, then maybe things will fall in place for you.

"Misogynist" is applied to too many things and rapidly losing its meaning, maybe you should read up on psychologist's opinion and rape counselors on the creation of the term "rape culture" and how it actually is harming real rape victims.
To give you a better idea of my education, I took a handful of classes that had to with sex and psychology/sociology. Almost all my girl friends are politically active feminists and there is plenty of discourse among us. If you want to make the judgement that Im not well versed enough to speak with authority on the subject, fine, but you should probably address the issues you have with my statements with some form of substance instead of what you've been bringing.

NAACP did that BEFORE it was found out he was a closet racist.
Donald Sterling was already known as a racist before that. Unless you somehow missed his wholesome repuatation as a slum lord. In LA, where he received the award, this was well known.

Ughh, I'm having to wait another week because of my IST order mess up with Aphrodite IX HC.

Really looking forward to reading it.

Anyway decided to substitute Aphrodite IX for a Hellboy Library Edition Vol 1, so finally collecting that series.

Also the Kabuki Library Edition is HUGE, I was expecting it to be the same size as the Fear Agent books but it's wider.

Yeah, Fear Agent is weird in its sizing. Hellboy and Kabuki are the same size.

While I think Manara's work is great, I can see how people find the piece problematic. Is seeing the same thing difficult for you?

Also, it sounds like you are speculating and speaking on behalf of female artists? Is that normal for you? Why not link to the piece if you think it should not be omitted from the discussion?

I probably should stop replying to you here. Their need to be seen as equals? Yeah fuck that shit. amirite

In the future, I hope you look at this statement of yours and smh in real life at yourself.

Horrible things happen to women in Mad Max and you didn't see many call it sexist did you? In fact, many celebrated it (myself included) as a feminist action movie. If you can understand why there is a difference in reception between the two, then maybe things will fall in place for you.

To give you a better idea of my education, I took a handful of classes that had to with sex and psychology/sociology. Almost all my girl friends are politically active feminists and there is plenty of discourse among us. If you want to make the judgement that Im not well versed enough to speak with authority on the subject, fine, but you should probably address the issues you have with my statements with some form of substance instead of what you've been bringing.

Donald Sterling was already known as a racist before that. Unless you somehow missed his wholesome repuatation as a slum lord. In LA, where he received the award, this was well known.
Actually wrong. I can post the link where a female artist did defend him. And no not speculating. Stating a fact.

And WRONG. Equal pay, bigger penalty for rapists, quit only showing toothpicks in Hollywood, society needs to quit slut shaming, etc.

I don't read feminist writings but do want better treatment and change in society for females.

GoT horrible things happen to everyone. Part of the story.

Slumlord did not equal a racist. Shitty person.

Goon is gettong library editions?
Oh my. Time to buy!

Goon, too? Shit! I was wanting to read that a while ago but was all like "WHOOAOAOAOA THAT'S A LOT OF TRADES!"

It was in the Dark Horse September Solicitations
The Goon Library Volume 1 HC
Eric Powell (W/A/Cover)
On sale Nov 11
FC, 496 pages
$39.99
HC, 8" x 12 3/16"
Lonely Street comes under all manner of threats both tragic and hilarious in this deluxe hardcover edition of The Goon.
The Nameless Man, the Zombie Priest, has come to town to build a gang from the undead. Yet even with an unlimited supply of soldiers, the Priest cannot move in on the territory controlled by the crime boss Labrazio and his unstoppable enforcer—the Goon. But when the Priest discovers Goon's most closely held secret, the balance of power threatens to change forever! Collects The Goon Volumes 0–3.
• Created by Eisner Award winner Eric Powell!
"Powell has done something truly special with the art and made Goon more captivating than ever." —AiPT!
"The action flows so cohesively from one panel to the next, you're engaged from the first smashed window." —Nerds on the Rocks

oh there's the size

Uh oh my CMX digital library is now hitting steam library issues. All this preacher talk got me thinking of the book and then realized soon there'd be a preacher sale once the AMC Show gets close to airing. That lead me to look at my collection to realize I already own preacher in digital form.

A pleasant surprise but it made me sad I didn't know I owned it.

Uh oh my CMX digital library is now hitting steam library issues. All this preacher talk got me thinking of the book and then realized soon there'd be a preacher sale once the AMC Show gets close to airing. That lead me to look at my collection to realize I already own preacher in digital form.

A pleasant surprise but it made me sad I didn't know I owned it.

This happened to me with American Vampire when they launched the new version of CMX. Well, look at this critically lauded book I've been wanting to buy just moldering away in my library!

Actually wrong. I can post the link where a female artist did defend him. And no not speculating. Stating a fact.

And WRONG. Equal pay, bigger penalty for rapists, quit only showing toothpicks in Hollywood, society needs to quit slut shaming, etc.

I don't read feminist writings but do want better treatment and change in society for females.

GoT horrible things happen to everyone. Part of the story.

Slumlord did not equal a racist. Shitty person.

You were speculating on the many other female artists. If you feel the defending post from the female artist is important why haven't you posted it?

The rest of your post lets me know you either dont know or dont care to rebuke any of the other points I feel like I've brought up either in my last post or the previous ones today. Dismissing any criticism of GoT's depiction of rape by saying 'bad shit happens in the story, deal with it. it doesnt matter how its presented' misses the point so much that I have to think you are doing it intentionally as not to address the point.

Your list of what makes up feminism are so common and surface level that I would hope you would have expanded on the list or simply gotten to the central tenets of feminism. Your list gives me no real insight into your beliefs.

It seems that you and I are not interested in having the same kind of discourse. If you feel like continuing, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, I think everybody else has had their fill of this conversation here.

Finally had time to sit down with the Kabuki library edition vol 1. Oh my is this beautiful. I can wait to reread this amazing series again in the larger format. It'll make his amazing and dense work come to life even more

Messi and Kipp you better be buying these.

Freeza have you checked out your copy yet?

Of course. It's beautiful. I haven't read it yet because I'm reading through the first Usagi omnibus at the moment, but Kabuki is a gorgeous book. Does the second volume have a release date yet?

From the September solicits
Kabuki Library Edition Volume 2 HC
David Mack (W/A/Cover)
On sale Nov 25
FC, 400 pages
$39.99
HC, 9" x 12"
Celebrating twenty years of Kabuki, this second volume in a complete set of large, oversized library editions of the entire critically acclaimed Kabuki series collects the Kabuki volumes Skin Deep and Metamorphosis.
Isolated and psychologically tormented, Kabuki finds her only friend in a mystery woman who sends her handwritten notes folded into origami animals. Featuring a total of twelve separate issues and collected with loads of extras, this is the next great edition that fans of Mack and Kabuki have been waiting for.
"You're going to be blown away by the amazing work in this collection!"—Brian Michael Bendis
"One of the true geniuses of the medium."—Entertainment Weekly

Reading through Ostrander's run right now, kind of jumbled in the Janus Directive when it cross overs with checkmate. They didn't have that part of the sale on comixology :(.

Waller, Boomerang and Bronze Tiger are my favorite team members so far. Strewth is my new favorite aussie lingo.

Has Ostrander written anything recently?

Reading through Ostrander's run right now, kind of jumbled in the Janus Directive when it cross overs with checkmate. They didn't have that part of the sale on comixology :(.

Waller, Boomerang and Bronze Tiger are my favorite team members so far. Strewth is my new favorite aussie lingo.

Has Ostrander written anything recently?

Waller/Boomerang/Layton GOAT SS characters

Also, I know he wrote a bunch of Star Wars: Legacy before Marvel got the rights.

Waller/Boomerang/Layton GOAT SS characters

Also, I know he wrote a bunch of Star Wars: Legacy before Marvel got the rights.

Yeah so far

Flag just seemingly got himself blown up doing a crazy suicide mission against the Jihadists, Lawton shot a senator before Flag could and took the fall, and is now in Arkham Asylum. The dysfunctional relationships between all the characters is what makes the squad work so well.

I have nearly bought new Suicide Squad Vol 1 like 4 times this week. I know it's bad but I can help it.

My tolerance for bad is pretty high so I'll probably end up checking out both suicide squad volume ones.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For the one person besides me that might care, they added Wolverines #2 to MU now (the skipped #2 and went straight to #3 in this week's update)

Buddy you jumping on the Kabuki hype train too? Let's do it!

Kabuki is really beautiful. The story flow is a bit odd for me though

btw you live in Houston right?

Are you gonna go to Space City Comic Con this weekend?

it's honestly great weird Kirby-inspired adventure, and Dean White paints the shit out of it
Its p good! Dean White is the best thing about the book imo. He totally made look JRJR like a new artist. JRJR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom