• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hot damn, I'm feeling GOOD. Finished both Shaolin Cowboy and the Point Blank mini from the Sleeper omnibus today and yesterday, and just finished reading a book book too.
I'm back, guys. I'M BACK.
Being free of that dumb desk job has breathed new life into me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctu19mkflo4vmkc/IMG_20150724_120055.jpg

Doomsday sketch right before doors open at space city comic con. Vyer gets this for free if he shows up this weekend haha

Ed, your art is seriously cool. I really love your style. Excellent stuff there.
Definitely post pics of any other sketches you do at the con! I'd love to see them.

What are some good stories with him on art? JC?

He was pretty much the definitive Batman artist for a generation growing up on Burton's Batman movies and getting into the comics. He did a Detective Comics run mostly with Alan Grant, then moved to Batman with Grant a bit later. They invented a couple of key Batman rogues, including the Ventriloquist and Anarky. They launched another Batman ongoing "Shadow of the Bat" a bit later with "The Last Arkham" story, where Batman gets put inside Arkham Aslyum with all the other crooks.

(Detective Comics #583-594, 601-621, 627, Batman #455-466, 470-476, Shadow of the Bat #1-5)

There's also this GREAT Elseworlds one-shot he did with Alan Brennert called "Holy Terror", so check that out, too.

tim1138

What are some good stories with him on art? JC?

Sadly I don't think a lot of his run has been collected. You can find his art in Knightfall, Batman Birth of the Demon, and I think DC just put the Anarky mini by he and Grant back in print. Thankfully this was jus released - http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/LEGENDS-OF-THE-DARK-KNIGHT-NORM-BREYFOGLE-HC/MAR150284

I'm sure JC can correct me on anything in print that I missed.

I'd have to check, but I'd be surprised if at least part of his six year run on Batman with isn't on CMX though (Tec from 87-90, Batman from like 90-91/92, and then a year on Shadow of the Bat). Basically any Bat book featuring him and Alan Grant is worth checking out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also thx Kipp I'll take photos and update later in the day. I sold a copy if my comic within the 1st 5 min of opening!

Sweet. Looking forward to it. I need to get a commission from you one of these days.
And nice! That's awesome.

Kipp is now the person here who reads comics, i feel like we time jumped in our comics-gaf continuity.

Soon you're going to be raving about even the most mediocre comics and Birdie is going to start talking about how comics are a dying and lifeless medium.
And Cade will become -Cade once again.

I read books at my own pace it's why I can't do comic clubs.

Yeah, I learned through the SiP reading club that I can't do reading clubs anymore. Kinda glad I did for SiP though, because otherwise it probably would've taken me a year to get through it if I didn't force myself to read 3 issues every day. I mean, I absolutely loved it, but I'm still a slow reader and probably wouldn't have averaged 3 issues a day otherwise.

He was pretty much the definitive Batman artist for a generation growing up on Burton's Batman movies and getting into the comics. He did a Detective Comics run mostly with Alan Grant, then moved to Batman with Grant a bit later. They invented a couple of key Batman rogues, including the Ventriloquist and Anarky. They launched another Batman ongoing "Shadow of the Bat" a bit later with "The Last Arkham" story, where Batman gets put inside Arkham Aslyum with all the other crooks.

(Detective Comics #583-594, 601-621, 627, Batman #455-466, 470-476, Shadow of the Bat #1-5)

There's also this GREAT Elseworlds one-shot he did with Alan Brennert called "Holy Terror", so check that out, too.

Sadly I don't think a lot of his run has been collected. You can find his art in Knightfall, Batman Birth of the Demon, and I think DC just put the Anarky mini by he and Grant back in print. Thankfully this was jus released - http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/LEGENDS-OF-THE-DARK-KNIGHT-NORM-BREYFOGLE-HC/MAR150284

I'm sure JC can correct me on anything in print that I missed.

I'd have to check, but I'd be surprised if at least part of his six year run on Batman with isn't on CMX though (Tec from 87-90, Batman from like 90-91/92, and then a year on Shadow of the Bat). Basically any Bat book featuring him and Alan Grant is worth checking out.

Damn! Thank guys! Will check some of this stuff out on CMX.

Those colors!

otXzkPu.jpg

Finished Eternal Warrior mini. It was pretty good, but I have to say I was not completely in love with it, which is saying a bit considering my experience with Valiant so far. I feel like there are elements to the character which are pretty cool and I would have rather they explored those than was Pak did in this series. The first half of the story was kind of bland; the second half had a really friggin' cool premise, which it didn't really capitalize on. Art was good throughout, at least I have no real complaints in that department; Gill is not that bad. Definitely my least favorite Valiant title I've read so far. And, at least he's not that much of a jobber in this series.

On that note, I wanted to bring up the Scribd app for Android since that's what I used to read it. I'm currently on the one month free trial. The app itself works pretty well. Books load up quickly; page turning is quick and responsive. The main issue is that the comics are in SD. I'm not sure how MU holds up in that respect as I've never used it, but at least it's noticeable to me from just using this app. I would say for $9 a month, it's pretty good considering all the content you get - not just comics, but there's already a healthy selection of IDW, Valiant, BOOM, and Dynamite. Of those, I can see at least Valiant keeps their content very well updated, as they have stuff on there from as late as March of this year; also, they have issues that have not to my knowledge been collected in trade yet. The SD is just a small caveat of the app, but I think there's a good enough amount of content to justify the price.

Hagi

I thought it all clicked perfectly with the bus scene. Really one of the best street magick scenes I've seen in a comic.

But Freddie is just an awesome character, and I love his introduction.

Yeah I was just a bit confused as to what was going on when he confronted him on the bus. I did enjoy the scene though, I like the showing of assholes who use their powers/gifts/mutations on petty crimes in fiction.

That breakaway with the vampires would be enough to keep me with the book till next month. As for Freddie Lovecraftian horrors loving coffee just seems like a perfect fit to me.

OK, I'm at the mall and the only comic here that caught my attention was Batman Noel.

Is it worth it?

Don't pay full price. It's good but it's Christmas Carol with Batman characters.

Batman is Scrooge.
Catwoman is ghost of Xmas past
Surprise
Joker is ghost of Xmas Future

Don't pay full price. It's good but it's Christmas Carol with Batman characters.

Batman is Scrooge.
Catwoman is ghost of Xmas past
Surprise
Joker is ghost of Xmas Future

Yeah but, as I recall, he lives in Brazil and ordering books from anywhere is costly and/or a pain anyway.

AsfaeksBR

I've heard good things. Art is stellar.

It's a solid read, a fun twist on A Christmas Carol with killer art.

Thanks. Will get it.

i've never read it but it seems well-reviewed. do they have Batman The Black Mirror?

No, just Noel...

-----

Another questions: How's American Vampire, of Vertigo/Stephen King/Scott Snyder?
Found the Volume 1, contains the numbers 1 through 5.
Solid read? Is the series long?

Zombine

Banned
It's still going. American Vampire is the definitive take on the Vampire Mythos. I love what Snyder and Albequerque accomplished with the original series.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Another questions: How's American Vampire, of Vertigo/Stephen King/Scott Snyder?
Found the Volume 1, contains the numbers 1 through 5.
Solid read? Is the series long?

The first run for American Vampire is 40 or so issues. It's really good. Plays with established vampire lore and adds new stuff and has great character stuff. They brought it back for American Vampire: Second Cycle, which is up to issue 8 maybe. Haven't read that yet.

Hagi

I think it's just the picture messing with my mind but his proportions look kinda weird there. Did it come with that normal Steve head? big reason I didn't get the Strike Suit was because you needed to buy the set to get an unmasked head. :/

Looking forward to the Mark XLV because that's the sexiest suit out of the bajillion they've had in the MCU.

Messi

I think it's just the picture messing with my mind but his proportions look kinda weird there. Did it come with that normal Steve head? big reason I didn't get the Strike Suit was because you needed to buy the set to get an unmasked head. :/

Looking forward to the Mark XLV because that's the sexiest suit out of the bajillion they've had in the MCU.

Yep it comes with a Steve head and spare helmet

I'm such a digital snob now. I wish for the books in my physical collection that I still have to read that I could just put them on my iPad and read there.

I'm such a digital snob now. I wish for the books in my physical collection that I still have to read that I could just put them on my iPad and read there.

Yup, right there with you. I've been reading through all my favorite Daredevil storylines and I don't know what I will do when I get to Bendis and have to, urgh, dig out the trades...

Owzers

i like reading on my ipad for color pop and because i can hold it closer to my face than a large heavy hardcover that has to be read in the Kipp Position. I was thinking about the same thing while starting on the Hellboy Library editions last night and i was glad i picked up the BPRD frognibus collections during the last cmx sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom