• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Finished Civil War #1. Surprised at how much I enjoyed this tie in. The art isn't really for me but the story kept me engaged. Nice to see some twists on some characters outfits like Spidey. It's a different kind of book compared to the rest of the Secret Wars books I've read. It's much more about talking and arguing.
That said, shit popped off at the end so it seems a whole heap of fighting is about to go down
. Recommended.

That's enough comics for tonight, got a good bit read from my backlog. I will say that I am enjoying almost all of the tie ins for Secret Wars that I have read. Really enjoying Secret Wars so far. Just wish the next main issue didn't get delayed but the tie ins are covering that gap.

edit: Sorry, double post.

173857faddc443a0acd352c9eed4a687.gif

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Civil War #1. Surprised at how much I enjoyed this tie in. The art isn't really for me but the story kept me engaged. Nice to see some twists on some characters outfits like Spidey. It's a different kind of book compared to the rest of the Secret Wars books I've read. It's much more about talking and arguing.
That said, shit popped off at the end so it seems a whole heap of fighting is about to go down
. Recommended.

That's enough comics for tonight, got a good bit read from my backlog. I will say that I am enjoying almost all of the tie ins for Secret Wars that I have read. Really enjoying Secret Wars so far. Just wish the next main issue didn't get delayed but the tie ins are covering that gap.

173857faddc443a0acd352c9eed4a687.gif

Civil War was pretty dope, I hope 2 will keep it going.

Also there's a dude walking around as Batman in downtown Santa Monica. Couldn't get a good picture unfortunately.

Saw Ant-Man. Fun movie. Exactly what I wanted, though two things bothered me:

1)
Hope and Scott getting together. Weird and I don't see why it had to happen.
2)
The extra scene at the end was way more than any other end credits scene had ever done. Tying into an entirely separate storyline with only a small phrase "I know a guy." Didn't like that.

Other than that, good, solid, fun movie.
They did. "Crimefighter Challenge Maps" is listed as a DLC item.

I swear if it's just 5 more of each AR challenge I will fight someone

I'm gonna see Ant-Man finally this weekend I think

I also think I might run to the shop and pick up the remaining BPRD hardcovers. Normally I'd wait but I think they're OOP so I gotta scoop dem boyz up so no one else can.

Black Canary #2 very stylish, interestingish characters and ok framework for a story right now. Annie Wu is killing it on art. I'd buy this book just for her art. In first at least the first arc. Enjoyed it.

Shit did that drop? Missed it when I went to go get my box. Wasn't on my pull list so they didn't set it aside. Aw crud. Oh well time to read some All-New X-Men until I fall asleep.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Saw Ant-Man. Fun movie. Exactly what I wanted, though two things bothered me:

1)
Hope and Scott getting together. Weird and I don't see why it had to happen.

Other than that, good, solid, fun movie.

I feel like that wasn't leading to anything.
They saved the world and made out of a second. It's not really a love story.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, it feels great to wake up and be like "Can't wait to read more comics today."

Feels good to be back in the game.

Kipp

I just remembered that I had a dream last night:

I went shopping - for myself - and I bought a purse, women's flip flops, and a handgun.
In typical Kipp fashion though, I decided to return it all.

Thank goodness I don't have a Freudian therapist or something, or else they'd have a field day with that.

Umbrella Academy Apocalypse Suite: That was awesome. It felt very Doom Patroley without actually reading like a tribute comic. Great art and very interesting characters and "family" dynamic. Maybe because it is the first arc, it felt like the villains were underdeveloped and, as you WWF kids say, jobbers. Hope that improves in the next volume.
Though I guess Vanya was supposed to be "villain" of this arc.

I just remembered that I had a dream last night:

I went shopping - for myself - and I bought a purse, women's flip flops, and a handgun.
In typical Kipp fashion though, I decided to return it all.

Thank goodness I don't have a Freudian therapist or something, or else they'd have a field day with that.

If you ever run into a therapist or the like that tries to interpret your dreams in any way, run like hell. For the record, that seems fairly tame for a dream.

Kipp

If you ever run into a therapist or the like that tries to interpret your dreams in any way, run like hell. For the record, that seems fairly tame for a dream.

No, I know. Haha. Thanks for the advice though!
And yeah, I mostly just thought it was pretty funny. Remembering my dreams is pretty new for me, so it's always a good laugh when I do remember them. :p

Owzers

my dreams are usually horribly depressing, i presume that's what happens when the list you are on gets thrown in the trash.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just want to dream normal again, I have for months horrible nightmares and am happy when I sleep more than a couple of hours in one track.

Bought a Thor Disney Infinity Figure today. Looks good, is my favourite Marvel figure so far.

My dreams are either me doing work dreams I guess working through problems. Or they're ones where I'm not an active participant and I'm observing others doing crazy things and I'm along for the ride watching it like a tv show.

Messi

Shit did that drop? Missed it when I went to go get my box. Wasn't on my pull list so they didn't set it aside. Aw crud. Oh well time to read some All-New X-Men until I fall asleep.

I want to say it came out two weeks ago.

Messi might like this,, its a little "lewd" as yous guys would say.

http://i.imgur.com/Dfw88P0.jpg
(by Stjepan Sejic)

Really funny. Love that he used Lisas lip bite for lois. Amazing facial expressions as always.

First DC Bombshells issue is out on CMX.

Just read it (thanks for the heads up btw).

ART: On point. Duh. Great stylized look, does a rock-solid job of capturing the 40's aesthetic.

STORY: Good! The bit at the beginning where she
foils Batman's origin story
was pretty great. The overall theme of trying to do her best but feeling trapped nevertheless hit home pretty effectively. Definitely left me curious to see what happens next.

WRITING: Dialogue got a bit awkward at times, mostly due to the sheer weight of exposition. They lobbed a little bit of fun at the opening monologue, which is good, but the scene in the apartment feels like it dragged on a little.

Just read it (thanks for the heads up btw).

ART: On point. Duh. Great stylized look, does a rock-solid job of capturing the 40's aesthetic.

STORY: Good! The bit at the beginning where she
foils Batman's origin story
was pretty great. The overall theme of trying to do her best but feeling trapped nevertheless hit home pretty effectively. Definitely left me curious to see what happens next.

WRITING: Dialogue got a bit awkward at times, mostly due to the sheer weight of exposition. They lobbed a little bit of fun at the opening monologue, which is good, but the scene in the apartment feels like it dragged on a little.

Two things:

Felt pretty bad for
Mags because she's competing against something she really can't.

Exposition in the apartment, while bloated, I felt was necessary. Revealed some interesting interweaving of Batwoman's past life in this universe with historical events. I thought that was well-executed.

This is like the perfect team to do a new Batwoman series, whatever period. Pls DC, for once, do the right thing.

Art in Bombshells looked really great. This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I said I wanted more FRESH faces doing interiors at Marvel for ANAD. It was new and it was great. The one panel where Kate is hitting the ball with her bat looked awkward (the way she was holding it looked off) but besides that it was awesome.

Overall premise is interesting too. Definitely looking forward to seeing where they go from here with Wonder Woman and Supergirl. Should be fun and it will definitely look good.

I love Kate's bombshell design too. The baseball cap with the loose hair and whole color scheme is really cool.

And I meant to say it earlier, but happy birthday Zombine!

Two things:

Felt pretty bad for
Mags because she's competing against something she really can't.

Exposition in the apartment, while bloated, I felt was necessary. Revealed some interesting interweaving of Batwoman's past life in this universe with historical events. I thought that was well-executed.

This is like the perfect team to do a new Batwoman series, whatever period. Pls DC, for once, do the right thing.

Yeah, Mags hit me right here. That's gotta be tough.

And... honestly? I dunno if it was all necessary; I get why they'd want to get the backstory out of the way, and I'm withholding judgement (could pay off), but for now? I think it might have been better to leave some of it unsaid and roll it out more organically.

Happy birthday Zombine!

Art in Bombshells looked really great. This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I said I wanted more FRESH faces doing interiors at Marvel for ANAD. It was new and it was great. The one panel where Kate is hitting the ball with her bat looked awkward (the way she was holding it looked off) but besides that it was awesome.

Overall premise is interesting too. Definitely looking forward to seeing where they go from here with Wonder Woman and Supergirl. Should be fun and it will definitely look good.

I love Kate's bombshell design too. The baseball cap with the loose hair and whole color scheme is really cool.

Sauvage is a really fresh, but great talent. I've seen some of her other interiors, and they're all good, but that she was able to capture this 40s feel so organically is remarkable. The designs are A++.

Yeah, Mags hit me right here. That's gotta be tough.

And... honestly? I dunno if it was all necessary; I get why they'd want to get the backstory out of the way, and I'm withholding judgement (could pay off), but for now? I think it might have been better to leave some of it unsaid and roll it out more organically.

While I'd normally be inclined to agree, there's no way of knowing how much focus Kate will get in this series moving forward; at least having built this small mythos for her origin was a fun way of doing that without taking up too much time. If Kate ends up sharing the limelight with Diana and Kara (and whoever else) moving forward into the series, I'll be happy they worked this in.

Hagi

So I've decided it's finally time to start reading Secret Wars because I have 21 issues of tie ins and 3 issues of the main series just sitting there glaring at me. I always seem to regret buying print for some reason, I need to just stick to digital.

Time to redeem 24 codes.

How many Earths are open or not discovered in the Multiverse?

Edit as I was typing this and I realized they undid CoIE and now they have an Infinite playground. Neat that in Bombshell world, she saves
Bruce Wayne's parents from being killed. Thus, no Batman.

Zombine

Banned
Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys! I never really do anything stupid obnoxious for my birthday, but I've had a great weekend so far.

Messi

You are aware that Marguerite Sauvage is doing the art for Angela right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom