• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
Welcome back.

Welcome back!

Thanks guys!

I did my part to keep the industry alive and stopped buying digital comics read a bunch of stuff while I was gone.

X-Factor: The 2005-2013 run. I love this series in my bones. There's a really defined style to Peter David's writing. He's in the same wheelhouse as Gail Simone and Joss Whedon and he's easily my favorite of those three. I love the way he transitions scenes and he defines the characters and their voices so clearly; they're incredibly well-realized.

My biggest takeaway has been that this series really benefited from most typically staying away from the other x-books. By not getting caught up in faux civil rights bullshit, X-Factors way more successful at incorporating themes in a way that doesn't make you cringe if you think too hard. The book isn't about the experience of being a mutant in a world that hates and fears you, it's about being human and everything that comes with that and it's much better for it.

This is the Marvel TV show we truly deserve, but will never get. Lupacchino is probably my favorite artist now, too.

Uncanny Avengers: I'd read like six issues of this, but always meant to get back to it. TyRave almost swore on the Apocalypse Twins and goddamn was he right. Read the rest of this run in a single evening, more or less. Remender really is a pro with the dramatic writing. I loved the way the unity theme was incorporated and the clashing of the ideologies, the Havok/Wasp romance, all the little call backs to Uncanny X-Force, and Daniel Acuna's art was beautiful throughout. Excellent work. This led me too...

AXIS: AXIS, man. Just... Fuck. What the actual fuck? AXIS belabors a point that Uncanny Avengers just made (quite well, I might add) only it does it much worse. The story moves at a brisk pace, but the whole thing just feels like Remender minus planning. I'm not even gonna bother figuring out how it fits with Hickman's series. Best part was Deadpool talking down Genesis and I wish they'd kept Mystique inverted since the Sabretooth romance had potential. I suppose they can still act on that regardless, though.

And where the fuck is Wasp?! AXIS was pretty bad, man. Damn.

Secret Six: I bought the first collection and I'm almost done with it. It's dope, it's like the Showtime show of cape comics where it makes it a point to be naughty and raunchy, but it's not obnoxious about it. Scandal Savage = BEST

Hawkeye #22: The series that really got me into comics had a beautiful, fitting end with a ton of payoffs. Clint and Kate are my favorite duo and I don't think that could ever change. I really hope Lemire gets it together for the relaunch because the characters deserve it. (Hoping he delivers on that new main X-book, too...)

That's about it. I'm reading new stuff, too. Starfire is delightful. Black Canary is slick. Secret Wars is probably better than we deserve, but I haven't read recent tie-ins. I'm hyped for some ANAD books. Uncanny X-Men #35 was a good, weird issue. I wish I liked those kids more than I do and it's sad because with the way that issue ends, I don't think anyone will come behind Bendis and deliver on that potential. Oh well.

Well, I'm assuming IST will stock it for 50% off for the first week when it comes out. So it's definitely worth $25.

I'm kidding. If I check out Secret Wars at all, assuming it ends up being a good story throughout and I get affidavits to that effect from every member here, I'll find a way to make it happen. Truth be told, I'm not all that interested at the moment, but hey, I change opinions like I change my underwear so who knows how I'll feel when it's finally collected.

That said, it definitely won't be in this format. That's a pretty weak collection, even by Mahvel's standards and even at 50%.

$25 (at 50%) is still too expensive. Dial H deluxe edition is $17.50 and that has twice the number of issues.

Good example.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hawkeye #22: The series that really got me into comics had a beautiful, fitting end with a ton of payoffs. Clint and Kate are my favorite duo and I don't think that could ever change. I really hope Lemire gets it together for the relaunch because the characters deserve it. (Hoping he delivers on that new main X-book, too...)

Honestly, I found the ending to Hawkguy a little dissapointing. Just seemed quite dull and by the book. At first I thought they'd killed
Pizza-dog
but nope. Maybe they should have.

Uncanny Avengers: I'd read like six issues of this, but always meant to get back to it. TyRave almost swore on the Apocalypse Twins and goddamn was he right. Read the rest of this run in a single evening, more or less. Remender really is a pro with the dramatic writing. I loved the way the unity theme was incorporated and the clashing of the ideologies, the Havok/Wasp romance, all the little call backs to Uncanny X-Force, and Daniel Acuna's art was beautiful throughout. Excellent work. This led me too...

I saw you enjoyed it on Twitter and that makes me really glad! I still prefer X-Force but Uncanny Avengers is quality superhero reading. I forget if it was frye or JC who mentioned it, but you can tell from reading it that Remender loves Marvel comics and enjoys reading them. Like, I've only read a little of Busiek's Avengers but you can really feel the admiration towards it reading UA. He just does an incredible job at building up towards the big climax in this series along with the various arcs in X-Force.

I am very sad that he's taking a break from Marvel, especially knowing he was going to be doing X-Men, but Deadly Class is fantastic enough to make me forgive him. Need to catch up on Black Science and Low again and Tokyo Ghost looks pretty damn great too.

Marvel just likes to charge more for HCs than they need to. AXIS HC MSRP was like $50 too and who would buy that shit at cover price? I bought the floppies as it was going on and I wouldn't even do that for whatever IST had it for.

It's a shame considering how Dark Horse sells these gorgeous hardcovers that offer more for less. The BPRD HCs are $35 MSRP and contain like what, three trades inside of them? AND they have sewn binding.

Squire

Banned
I saw you enjoyed it on Twitter and that makes me really glad! I still prefer X-Force but Uncanny Avengers is quality superhero reading. I forget if it was frye or JC who mentioned it, but you can tell from reading it that Remender loves Marvel comics and enjoys reading them. Like, I've only read a little of Busiek's Avengers but you can really feel the admiration towards it reading UA. He just does an incredible job at building up towards the big climax in this series along with the various arcs in X-Force.

I am very sad that he's taking a break from Marvel, especially knowing he was going to be doing X-Men, but Deadly Class is fantastic enough to make me forgive him. Need to catch up on Black Science and Low again and Tokyo Ghost looks pretty damn great too.

Totally agreed. I prefer Uncanny X-Force as well, but that entire run is really high bar, I think. I haven't read the Busiek stuff, but from what I can tell Remender really appreciates the established Avengers lore and UA really is old school in spirit. It occurred to me at one point that unity, as a theme, is a very basic, old idea. It's been done to death and yet Renender makes it so compelling here. He devastates you by showing you what we are without it and almost inspires you when he shows what people are capable of when they come together.

Yeah, I love Remender. X-Men would've been nothing short of great underneath him. It's really a shame. I do lie what I've read of Deadly Class though and I'm interested in Low! You should tell me how that one is.

everybody keeps thinking "let me read AXIS for myself can't be that bad UA was fire tho"

tryant rave didn't break out the sirens for nothing

Man

MAN

He actually told me it wasn't that bad and I rarely think this stuff is bad as it's made out to be, but god damn.

I took Viewtiful's advice and went with Tardi's Goddamn This War for my next read. Last time I ignored his advice, I read John's Green Lantern instead of Martha Washington. That was a... mistake.

He actually told me it wasn't that bad.

mistake.jpg

the man is a monster

Remender was to suppose to save X-Men, nigga left us with Jeff "Hawk-Eye" Lemire, Cullen Bunn, Greg Land/Mark Bagley/Humberto Ramos

this wasn't how things were suppose to end

I took Viewtiful's advice and went with Tardi's Goddamn This War for my next read. Last time I ignored his advice, I read John's Green Lantern instead of Martha Washington. That was a... mistake.

I'm glad we can all learn from our
mistake.jpg
s

Squire

Banned
mistake.jpg

the man is a monster

Remender was to suppose to save X-Men, nigga left us with Jeff "Hawk-Eye" Lemire, Cullen Bunn, Greg Land/Mark Bagley/Humberto Ramos

Exactly what I've been saying.

Remender was supposed to bring balance to the X-Men, not leave them in darkness. ;_;

REMENDER

k5zsuY2.jpg

Sandfox

Exactly what I've been saying.

Remender was supposed to bring balance to the X-Men, not leave them in darkness. ;_;

REMENDER

k5zsuY2.jpg

If anything Remender would've lead them to the darkness when you look at his writing style. The new run sounds interesting enough to me after the post-schism stuff.

Totally agreed. I prefer Uncanny X-Force as well, but that entire run is really high bar, I think. I haven't read the Busiek stuff, but from what I can tell Remender really appreciates the established Avengers lore and UA really is old school in spirit. It occurred to me at one point that unity, as a theme, is a very basic, old idea. It's been done to death and yet Renender makes it so compelling here. He devastates you by showing you what we are without it and almost inspires you when he shows what people are capable of when they come together.

Yeah, I love Remender. X-Men would've been nothing short of great underneath him. It's really a shame. I do lie what I've read of Deadly Class though and I'm interested in Low! You should tell me how that one is.

Man

MAN

He actually told me it wasn't that bad and I rarely think this stuff is bad as it's made out to be, but god damn.
Low is really good. I love the art in it. Tocchini's art is wonderfully fluid and really incredible in it. I don't think it's as strong as Deadly Class but I think I like it more than Black Science.

I do think you would probably like Busiek's Avengers. The narration boxes can be a little excessive but the dialogue is fun and it's good wholesome Avengers comics with fun action and drama.

And on AXIS: It's definitely not good but things happened and it didn't make a big deal of Cap sitting down unlike a certain other event I read :p

He has a real hawk-eye sometimes (but only sometimes)

Just read AXIS as Remender bitching about Marvel editorials and fanbases and other writers. Made him change what AXIS was two times. First into an event and then changed what he had planned(character dying, wanda becoming sorceress supreme)

The Wanda vs Doom showdown was him just venting his frustration about what Bendis did.

But it did give us Carnage Man and Hobgoblin, trainer of heroes and of course Heroic Loki.

Squire

Banned
If anything Remender would've lead them to the darkness when you look at his writing style. The new run sounds interesting enough to me after the post-schism stuff.

haha, true. Those Grim Reaper deaths in UA were a little much for me. Just gruesome.

Just read AXIS as Remender bitching about Marvel editorials and fanbases and other writers. Made him change what AXIS was two times. First into an event and then changed what he had planned(character dying, wanda becoming sorceress supreme)

The Wanda vs Doom showdown was him just venting his frustration about what Bendis did.

But it did give us Carnage Man and Hobgoblin, trainer of heroes and of course Heroic Loki.

Heroic Loki I felt was more him following up on a path Gillen put Loki on. It was satisfying, regardless. That's a good point about Wanda. She should've gotten that title in the end.

Owzers

Bought a bucket of chicken. About to fuck it up real bad. Y'all reading tonight?

Where from?

I'm reading Hellboy, "the black pages". Just trying to get to some white borders so i can life without splotch fear. It's still pretty good but i the arc is winding down and I don't think it's met the hype.

I'm also watching a weird sci-fi tv movie called Lavalantua about spiders that came out of a volcano and spit lava and an older goofy movie star has to combat them. I think i'm squandering my awake time.

Bought a bucket of chicken. About to fuck it up real bad. Y'all reading tonight?

Already did some pain rustique and a lemon cake, so sure. Got some locke & key to tap.

Also can't get popeye's appeal. Purchased ghost pepper wings and some tenders when i was in FL. Bland city. Those biscuits were particularly bad.

Already did some pain rustique and a lemon cake, so sure. Got some locke & key to tap.

Also can't get popeye's appeal. Purchased ghost pepper wings and some tenders when i was in FL. Bland city. Those biscuits were particularly bad.

Are you sure you went to a real Popeye's and not some fake location?

ElNarez

Banned
mistake.jpg

the man is a monster

nah

the man was always the harbinger of the end times

UA started with the desecration of Xavier's corpse

and then there was the "m-word" speech

the book's name was Uncanny AVENGERS

the signs were there, but y'all didn't look

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Goodness. Just read two more issues of Sleeper. Soooooooo good. This comic is just amazing. More people need to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom