• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Them guide books had some detailed stuff but I found this interesting
tumblr_inline_nr1bkl2c8e1r3swmi_500.jpg

What the hell is a "snoot"?

Zombine

Banned
I will admit that I admire her dedication to the craft and the hours she puts into her costumes. That other one though? You know...that one? I can see through the bullshit and I don't admire "character x with cleavage." It's lazy as fuck.

Zombine

Banned
Some of the more high profile cosplayers seem to be frowned on. Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri ect. Maybe I shouldn't read the comments on their photos. I like what those two do.

Edit : there we go.

It is lazy, and you can't comment on it without being called out. Yaya is extreme talent and she's damn great at the craft and she's done a lot of quality work and is a stellar judge.

I just don't appreciate Nigri's approach. Do I believe that she is a nerd? In some context absolutely. But I do believe that Cosplay is the easy avenue for men and women who aren't cut out for Ford and settle for pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Messi

It is lazy, and you can't comment on it without being called out. Yaya is extreme talent and she's damn great at the craft and she's done a lot of quality work and is a stellar judge.

I think Jessica Nigri makes better costumes

Not a fan of her Pokémon ones though.

Zombine

Banned
Didn't know there was controversy surrounding this craft...

There is. It's very complex because all of the problems play into one another.

Oh man. Just read any comment thread about Jessica Nigri and see what people feel they are entitled to and what they say to her.

I do not believe that is right in any regard, but I do believe that critisim in her costumes and what is played up is incredibly valid.

There is no beating around the bush. Sexy Pikachu/Slowking/Charizard is lazy as hell and serves no purpose other than hits. Where as if it was say...Red Hood & The Outlaws Starfire it does.

Stellar cosplay:

24f8d12d11c3d60f49aab9aa317d7784.jpg

Bullshit:

T87zxXi.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Lol. Decided to read a bit of Sin City before getting going on Sleeper. I'm to the later stuff now after Miller's pretty much gone full crazy. The writing is so preposterous, but it's still some super entertaining comics.

One of my favorite things is that Miller created this location in Sin City called The Pit where some guy built a bunch of dinosaur statues at these tar pits. The best part is that you totally know that Miller just wanted to draw some badass dinosaurs one way or another, so he came up with that location just so he could draw dinosaurs.
So random and silly but so awesome.
There's this one full-page drawing of a T-Rex's head that he does that's the coolest.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I've caught up on my three week MU backlog. Now to CMX.

Finished Mutliversity #2. I think the series finished strong.

man im so behind on current MU, im pretty sure im also 3 week behind lol. Any stand outs?

Lol. Decided to read a bit of Sin City before getting going on Sleeper. I'm to the later stuff now after Miller's pretty much gone full crazy. The writing is so preposterous, but it's still some super entertaining comics.

One of my favorite things is that Miller created this location in Sin City called The Pit where some guy built a bunch of dinosaur statues at these tar pits. The best part is that you totally know that Miller just wanted to draw some badass dinosaurs one way or another, so he came up with that location just so he could draw dinosaurs.
So random and silly but so awesome.
There's this one full-page drawing of a T-Rex's head that he does that's the coolest.

For better or worse, Sin City is Frank Miller with no filter. Got to indulge in every fantasy idea he wanted.

But it always looked dope tho

man im so behind on current MU, im pretty sure im also 3 week behind lol. Any stand outs?
Hmm. For you it'll be avengers. I caved and bought those on CMX to catch up before SW. Loki was quite strong. Silver surfer was cool. It's so dr who I just love it.

And for an event spider verse is still decent. Which for events is pretty good. Thank god the miles dad exposition arc is over in ultimate spidey. Good lord that was a waste of 2 issues. And black widow was actually somewhat exciting. A rarity for edmonson and his ultra dull style. Bendis xmen is what it is. Bendis writing two Jeans was almost too much for me to handle.

Zombine

Banned
We can all pick and choose bad ones

gncZY15.jpg

There is a huge difference between cosplaying, which is by definition trying your best to become the character, and then playing dress up for theme night at the club and winner gets a free round on the house. I haven't seen anything that really puts her in the former. Great if you're at EDC, but not best in show.

Also, that cosplay you posted has a ton of effort into it and looks pretty damn close to the character.

My argument is not against the ethical treatment of costumed folks. I believe that Cosplay does not equal consent and that there is a critical failure in the nerd convention mentality which was perpetuated by the 90-00s booth babes that they are there to gawk at and touch and play with and that you can say/do what you want to the actors. It's disgusting. My issue is with the quality of the cosplay and playing up certain elements that feed into that mentality that they are just dressed up potential dates.

Edit:

Successful, because it looks like the character in the CGI trailers. Not "hot" for the sake of it, but a part of the character that she pulls off due to having the look for the role. My issue are all of the remixed costumes.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Still can't get over how amazing Sean Phillips' panel work is in Sleeper. Seriously the best paneling I've seen in any comic. The composition of the pages as a whole is so beautiful, yet it doesn't sacrifice any clarity in the reading order of the panels to do so. Brilliant stuff.
And it's every single page, too. It's not like every once in a while there'll be a page where I'm like "Whoa, great paneling." It's consistently amazing every single page.

For better or worse, Sin City is Frank Miller with no filter. Got to indulge in every fantasy idea he wanted.

But it always looked dope tho

Yeah, for sure. My thoughts exactly.

Squire

Banned
I thought that speech was fine. I didn't see what the big deal was.

X-Men's been doing the descrimination allegory thing for, what, fifty years? "Mutant" has never been the 616 equivalent to "nigger" and never will be. It's goofy as hell.

Like, even if you don't get why it's goofy, you gotta wonder why it took until 2012 for it to come up.

X-Men's been doing the descrimination allegory thing for, what, fifty years? "Mutant" has never been the 616 equivalent to "nigger" and never will be. It's goofy as hell.

Like, even if you don't get why it's goofy, you gotta wonder why it took until 2012 for it to come up.

But it still gives a negative reaction to the general Marvel populace. It wouldn't be a problem if Mutants were treated as much respect as Spider-Man or the Avengers but for some reason they are still to be feared. The speech was just Alex telling them to see past that word and know there's a person just like you.

Squire

Banned

Well, shit.

But it still gives a negative reaction to the general Marvel populace. It wouldn't be a problem if Mutants were treated as much respect as Spider-Man or the Avengers but for some reason they are still to be feared. The speech was just Alex telling them to see past that word and know there's a person just like you.

I really dont understand why Remender got called out over this speech.

I get the intent behind it and like I said, most of the dialogue in that run that's after that speech and related to the same subject is really good and convincing. That particular speech is just goofy. It's not even that I find it offensive. I don't, I just think it's really silly.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Loved ANX in the beginning, but I started to feel like it wasn't actually building to anything. I'm up to like issue #30 or so.

It's funny because I started Bendis' Uncanny issues at the same time and the books basically switched places for me. He doesn't use the kids enough, but I really like where the adult X-Men in the run have ended up and how the story basically culminated with
Xavier's will being read
. Everything surrounding that felt like it was a long time coming.

Kitty is great. The Star-Lord stuff sucks. I hate that Bendis writes her that well and then pulls that shit. :(
I think the concept behind this story is super fucking cool. Bringing the O5 back to show them how much they change, and then MORE fuckery happens? I love it. It's just...the execution is a bit, well...we'll see as I get further along.
It just seems nonsensical. Convincing the world to see past the word "mutant" and know there's a person? Admirable. Trying to erase the word "mutant" as an identifier? Never gonna happen.

Also, Storm states in X-treme X-men something along the lines of how mutants are born with these awesome powers, and about how there's only a select group. "No wonder why they hate us." Basically a part of the racism is that people are jealous that there's a group of people who are born with superpowers. In a world where superheroes dominate, you'd think that anyone left behind would feel super out of place and maybe even left behind, in a way. They're resentful that they got "left behind" essentially. I thought that was an interesting perspective.

Yeah Kitty was known for being a racist xenophobe(aliens) which is why the speech Bendis had her give was BS for her to give it.

But just Bendis being Bendis.

Gotta make his favorites look good.

Zombine

Banned
Aren't you a huge fan of Bombshell variants and statues? How is this much different?

Yes, but those are just objects depicting idealized characters of a bygone era of marketing and propaganda. People aren't objects. My criticism of Cosplay comes from lazy outfits which don't highlight the character, but instead highlight or zero in on the features of the actor. "____ with cleavage" is something you would encounter at a club like I said before, and it gets hits for all the wrong reasons. If it's a part of the costume and you can pull it off it looks great (see Nigri's second attempt at Harley), but if you're doing it just to pull contracts with vendors by dressing in skimpy outfits, its kind of lame.

Yeah Kitty was known for being a racist xenophobe(aliens) which is why the speech Bendis had her give was BS for her to give it.

But just Bendis being Bendis.

Gotta make his favorites look good.
Except all she's saying is that she wants respect for her heritage and who she is. It's not BS at all.

Plus, people grow up. Kitty's been around for what, at least three decades at this point (comics-wise)? Characters can grow and change.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But does she say it because she is racist or because wants she wants to express that the word is the same as nigger? Thats what I always got out of these moments tbh.

Its real easy for Havok for say "don't see me as a mutant brehs" when he looks like an Aryan supermodel with cool powers. Lot of mutants have SHIT powers with real deformities with no obvious advantage. They're stuck as a shark or their entire body is see-through or they have eyes all over their body or they have 3 faces that look like pigs. End up like the Morlocks, forced underground away from the pretty people and normal society. People are always gonna judge them as mutants, I mean thats what they are man.

Xavier aint shit for how treated them Morlocks either ayy lmao. Got all these attractive mutants up in the X-Mansion, always preaching about tolerance and acceptance, but as soon as that nigga find out about these ugly/useless mutants living underground, he like "Nah we full up tho #NoNikkas"
nonikkas.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom