• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHWSk94.jpg

Owzers

Omnibus' were a mistake, they're nothing but trash. I want my Hawkeye omnibus now please Marvel.

I await my volume 2 oversized hardcover of Hawkeye while respecting gravity. One hardcover should not support so many pages.

You can just send all your omnibuses my way then I guess.

Not exactly what i had in mind...i think I might sell my sagging Wolverine Claremont omnibus though along with a couple other OHCs.

Cheska

First off I have to say going back and getting all the previous Astro city comics is totally worth it as they're amazing. But Astro city isn't about heavy continuity. It's a comic about the city and residents where Busiek has an amalgam of almost every DC & Marvel character/team hanging out. He does arcs that focus on some of the heroes and then also does one shot stories of random people or characters that live or come into the city. It's half pulpy cape fun and half slice of life.

So really you can jump right in at the start of any new arc and be totally fine. None of the books or arcs really tie together in any meaningful way. I'd say the only past comic event you might be spoiled on is the Confessor arc done way back in the day (it's my favorite stand alone arc...and of course based on batman). But that only affects the one batman/Superman/Wonder Woman homage arc in the restart. And really where the comic shines is the smaller stories.

Perfect, that's really encouraging to hear! I'll have to place the first three volumes in my next order along with Kabuki :)

Messi

Some hardcovers are an absolute trash reading experience. Batman Superman Vol 2 is one of those books. For some reason the artist chose to do all the art so that you have to hold the book sideways to read it. It is fucking awful and doesn't work in trade. I am considering dropping it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
TPB is the actual trash reading experience. I would rather read on a black and white Nook.

I forget how bad they are until I read something better. They are not great.

Bust speaking of great, I'm around issue 40 of Sandman and it's shaping up to be as good as people say that it is. I didn't quite get it at first, but after the first arc it really becomes something special. Though I did think Lucien and Cain were the same person until I just looked it up.

I am so glad you brought this up. I was listening to last weeks iFanboy and they made Astro City their book of the week (as they have done many times in the past), and it's piqued my interest. I looked it up and it appears they relaunched the series in 2013, and it's a current ongoing, but there were a ton of series and mini series that came before it. Would I be completely lost if I just started at the beginning of the 2013 series? I mean, the series essentially ran from 1995-2000 O_O

I would recommend reading it from the start. As gketter said, the volumes in the series can be read in any order (I did that too) but I also think reading it in order would have been great. Busiek builds the mythos of the city very well.

If you are reading on comixology, the order is fairly straightforward. All volumes are also available as TPBs. Some HCs are OOP but DC is slowly reprinting them.

tim1138

Perfect, that's really encouraging to hear! I'll have to place the first three volumes in my next order along with Kabuki :)

Seriously, Astro City is great, month in and month out it's one of my favorite books. The only real dip in quality it ever had was the Dark Ages arc, and that's when Busiek was extremely sick. It's such a fascinating and fully realized world, there is so much thought that goes into not only the heroes and villains, but the every day people that live there. It really feels like a living, breathing city. I can't imagine someone being a fan of cape comics and not liking Astro City.

I loved the one issue of Astro City I did read.

Also been reading BPRD this afternoon and it's great. I love how some stories are over in a handful of pages with pretty simple conclusions, it really keeps things fresh. Lobster Johnson is really cool too. About to start the actual Plague of Frogs part.

Chrononauhts #4 - wow that was a fun mini. Millar can still be good when he tries and also puts a little heart into his work and characters. Not everything needs to be crazy shocking things. I'd love this to be the next Vaughn movie!

Black Science #15 - I swear Remender is in some competition with BKV for putting in the most random acts of badness in their stories. Still love the art and we'll see how this goes

Zombine

Banned
Black Science #15 - I swear Remender is in some competition with BKV for putting in the most random acts of badness in their stories. Still love the art and we'll see how this goes

To be fair though I actually understand the universe of Black Science unlike Saga which feels pretty cheap in every death.

To be fair though I actually understand the universe of Black Science unlike Saga which feels pretty cheap in every death.
I disagree. It's just were so used to death in stories having so much build up and grandiose that the way BKV and others do it it's so sudden and quick that it throws us off. There's no poetic final last words, no character taking a hundred bullets and still doing one last saving act. It's a violent world and things can escalate and go very badly very quickly.

Messi

Chrononauhts #4 - wow that was a fun mini. Millar can still be good when he tries and also puts a little heart into his work and characters. Not everything needs to be crazy shocking things. I'd love this to be the next Vaughn movie!

Didn't Chrononauts get picked up as the first one came out?

Hagi

Didn't Chrononauts get picked up as the first one came out?

The news that it was picked up broke in March but he was talking about a screenplay before the first issue even came out. I quite liked what I read of Starlight so I think the movie of that might be cool.

Millarworld just trucking away.

I can't wait for the eventual Nemesis film.

If it's not done by Vaughan I can wait. He's the only person I trust to elevate that shit into something watchable.

Messi

I disagree. It's just were so used to death in stories having so much build up and grandiose that the way BKV and others do it it's so sudden and quick that it throws us off. There's no poetic final last words, no character taking a hundred bullets and still doing one last saving act. It's a violent world and things can escalate and go very badly very quickly.

The way BKV does it is brutal. Even for big characters. He is just like... There I did it. Deal with it.

I get to the end of a Saga issue and my favorites are still alive I'm like.

FE_DA_120823ObamaSweat425x283.jpg

Hasn't been much of that around #19-21.

:(
Haha yea. And what makes it so damn effective is he can build up great characters with unique voices so quickly that you care about them in a short amount of issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom