• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrodium

Banned
Did people in the 60s not understand the awful repercussions of nuclear bombs in the 60s? I've seen two casual uses of nuclear weapons in densely populated urban areas The Fantastic Four already. One usage was by the city itself and another was by The Fantastic Four. This is like Spider-Man originally making his webs with asbestos.

There's been a ton of civil war threads in OT. Mostly ppl responding don't read it haha. I'm still reading it, but are there any comic event you guys do recommend?

Depends on the type of event, really.

I always liked how TV Tropes did it. You've got:

Crisis Crossovers - Your line-wide events like, say, Civil War. None of the post-Avengers Disassembled (which was the start of Marvel's annual summer crossovers, and is ELEVEN YEARS OLD OMG!) are that good, certainly not without context at least. The best are probably 2013's Infinity (the tie-ins are muck apart from Avengers and New Avengers which are required) and the current Secret Wars, both of which are part of Jon Hickman's wider Avengers saga. Most of that is on MU and well worth reading IMO.

Red Skies Crossovers/Cross Throughs - An event happens where all the books are affected but don't interact. Named for the skies turning red in the build up to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. The best example of this, at least the first one that comes to mind, is not a comic. Big Finish did a series of stories for the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who called The Destiny of the Doctor, where Eleven sent messages back in time to each of his past selves, each one preparing for a final battle.

Massive Multiplayer Crossover - Any inter-company or multi-franchise crossover. IDW and Dynamite do TONS of these. Recent examples are the likes of X-Files: Conspiracy (where the Lone Gunmen met the Ghostbusters, Transformers, the Crow and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and Dynamite's Swords of Sorrow featuring a whole bunch of heroines like Red Sonja, Vampirella, Jennifer Blood and Irene Adler from The Shadow. I really dug both of IDW's Infestation crossovers, and their Star Trek TNG/Doctor Who story, though that one's gone out of print because IDW have lost the Doctor Who license.

Bat Family Crossover - Only titles within one group (like say, Batman or X-Men books) are affected. Named for the likes of Knightfall and No Man's Land.

Hagi

Then you would have had NO MOVIE.

It would have been a different movie yeah. :p

I think the story of her depression would have been a lot better without the cute little head people is all. They were the least interesting aspects of the whole thing.

but that was the movie...

That's like asking for Die Hard taking place entirely outside the Nakatomi Plaza

I want Inside Out With a Vengeance.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What Hagi said. It appears to be after New Hope and it "feels" just like the original movies.

Boogiepop

I really dug both of IDW's Infestation crossovers,

A tiny thing from a big (nice) post, but hey, finally an opinion on Infestation on here! I've asked at least once or twice, but I don't believe I got any answers, so I haven't grabbed it yet. But I've been more and more curious as I've added to my IDW collection. So they're worth reading?

Hagi

I was hoping I could just read the comic and be ready for the new movie. Ah well.

Pretty sure there's an event or something coming up that is set before the new movie. Not really sure how accessible the comics are for people who've never seen Star Wars.

Pretty sure there's an event or something coming up that is set before the new movie. Not really sure how accessible the comics are for people who've never seen Star Wars.

There's a novel coming called "Aftermath" that takes place after ROTJ, but I haven't heard of anything comic-wise yet.

Savitar

Did people in the 60s not understand the awful repercussions of nuclear bombs in the 60s? I've seen two casual uses of nuclear weapons in densely populated urban areas The Fantastic Four already. One usage was by the city itself and another was by The Fantastic Four. This is like Spider-Man originally making his webs with asbestos.

Are you kidding. It wasn't until late 70's and still further in the 80's some people finally got clued into what radiation meant.

Even when chernobyl happened in 86's many still had no idea. The government told them they were safe and sound, even when a huge radioactive cloud was floating over parts of Europe.

People really did believe in dumb shit like duck and cover for the longest time because the government really had no good way to really protect people from being absolutely horrified about what a nuke could really do.

You guys saw the One Punch Man Nendoroid, right?

57.jpg

A tiny thing from a big (nice) post, but hey, finally an opinion on Infestation on here! I've asked at least once or twice, but I don't believe I got any answers, so I haven't grabbed it yet. But I've been more and more curious as I've added to my IDW collection. So they're worth reading?

I liked them enough to buy the hardcovers. They're nothing serious, but they're great fun, especially if you enjoy all the licenses. My favourite story of the whole lot is the Dungeons & Dragons: Eberron story in Infestation 2, which digs into Abraxis Wren who is an Inquisitor (kind of like a private detective).

My favourite of all IDW's crossovers is probably Mars Attacks IDW, which has the hilarious Mars Attacks the Transformers, which is based on a parody of the old G1 cartoon and is, simply, amazing.

There's a novel coming called "Aftermath" that takes place after ROTJ, but I haven't heard of anything comic-wise yet.

There's a comic called Shattered Empire taking place after Return of the Jedi coming out as part of the Journey to The Force Awakens merch/EU event, by Rucka and Noto:

LTTP: Messi Not Having Watched Star Wars Yet Somehow

I don't want him to watch it at this stage. It would ruin all the fun.

I'm too hot (hot damn)
Called a police and a fireman
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Make a dragon wanna retire, man
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Say my name, you know who I am
I'm too hot (hot damn)
And my band 'bout that money
Break it down

My shoulder dislocated and popped into place during a squat set while a kate foxx set was playing. Coincidence? I think not.
original.jpg

#hnng tho

Afrodium

Banned
Are you kidding. It wasn't until late 70's and still further in the 80's some people finally got clued into what radiation meant.

Even when chernobyl happened in 86's many still had no idea. The government told them they were safe and sound, even when a huge radioactive cloud was floating over parts of Europe.

People really did believe in dumb shit like duck and cover for the longest time because the government really had no good way to really protect people from being absolutely horrified about what a nuke could really do.

Wow, I always just assumed that after Hiroshima and Nagasaki people wised up. Learn something new every day.

Hagi

I'm actually not all familiar with the current SJ either; anything from the past as a comparison would do.

Hmm outside of them being fairly common battle type shonen I don't think there's much to compare them to in regards to older titles. My Hero is very much a love letter to Superhero comics and One Punch Man is a mix of comedy and action drawn to a ridiculously fine detail. If you've read Eyeshield 21 before it's the artist for that drawing One Punch Man and by god is he drawing it.

There's a comic called Shattered Empire taking place after Return of the Jedi coming out as part of the Journey to The Force Awakens merch/EU event, by Rucka and Noto:

This is what my comic guy was telling me about when I was half listening to him. Noto and Rucka guarantee me picking it up.

Messi

Found that Vampirella Masters Series Vol 1 in a store today. It is 25$ and ain't that big. I was like nah. IST.

Hagi, loving the new avatar.

Hmm outside of them being fairly common battle type shonen I don't think there's much to compare them to in regards to older titles. My Hero is very much a love letter to Superhero comics and One Punch Man is a mix of comedy and action drawn to a ridiculously fine detail. If you've read Eyeshield 21 before it's the artist for that drawing One Punch Man and by god is he drawing it.

I was hoping for a "not as good as HxH Chimera Ants arc, but better than Naruto pre-timeskip".

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. I don't think my shelves can handle a manga series atm, I'll have to go digital.

Hagi

I was hoping for a "not as good as HxH Chimera Ants arc, but better than Naruto pre-timeskip".

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. I don't think my shelves can handle a manga series atm, I'll have to go digital.

I haven't really read enough of either of them yet to make that kind of distinction, sorry. I'm weird that way I can quite happily go digital with comics but given the choice I'll never give up printed manga.

Hagi, loving the new avatar.

Thanks Emma is my favourite female Marvel character, she's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom