• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

I liked them enough to buy the hardcovers. They're nothing serious, but they're great fun, especially if you enjoy all the licenses. My favourite story of the whole lot is the Dungeons & Dragons: Eberron story in Infestation 2, which digs into Abraxis Wren who is an Inquisitor (kind of like a private detective).

My favourite of all IDW's crossovers is probably Mars Attacks IDW, which has the hilarious Mars Attacks the Transformers, which is based on a parody of the old G1 cartoon and is, simply, amazing.
Awesome, thanks a ton! Found out there's apparently a cheap omnibus that has seemingly all the Infestation stuff for a real low price, so I added that and Mars Attacks IDW to my IST wishlist!
I was hoping for a "not as good as HxH Chimera Ants arc, but better than Naruto pre-timeskip".

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. I don't think my shelves can handle a manga series atm, I'll have to go digital.
Hm... kind of a rough thing to compare. One Punch Man is a completely different beast than most anything. It's all comedy and insane, almost show-off-y displays off artistic mastery. It really is it's own thing, but it's a ton of fun and I can't wait to grab the print copies that are FINALLY going to be coming out over here.

And My Hero Academia does have a decent number of chapters, but it's still pretty early for one of these things for my tastes. But for what it's worth, it's definitely been my favorite thing that's running weekly in the American Shonen Jump, outside of One Piece. It's definitely a fun one, and as has been said it really is a love letter to the American side of comics, with some nice distinct twists.

Really recommend either series, easily.

Savitar

One Punch Man is worth it due to how you can do amazing things with the panels if you edit them into gif format.

Like this:

5hlyD.gif

Boogiepop

Something else I completely forgot; Bruce Banner used to be able to turn into the Hulk by shooting himself with concentrated gamma rays

Didn't they make it so he had to stand on some weird scale thing when he wanted to be the Hulk? And he was much more intelligent/in control? I feel like I'm pulling all this from an old FF issue, where the Thing was fighting him to a standstill.

Also funny from old FF: how insanely useless poor Sue is for forever, and I also distinctly recall a particularly great image of the Mole Man's tunnels where he clearly hollowed out like half the Earth's mass. Oh, and Reed just straight up hypnotizing those poor Skrulls into thinking they were cows.

Awesome, thanks a ton! Found out there's apparently a cheap omnibus that has seemingly all the Infestation stuff for a real low price, so I added that and Mars Attacks IDW to my IST wishlist!

Hm... kind of a rough thing to compare. One Punch Man is a completely different beast than most anything. It's all comedy and insane, almost show-off-y displays off artistic mastery. It really is it's own thing, but it's a ton of fun and I can't wait to grab the print copies that are FINALLY going to be coming out over here.

And My Hero Academia does have a decent number of chapters, but it's still pretty early for one of these things for my tastes. But for what it's worth, it's definitely been my favorite thing that's running weekly in the American Shonen Jump, outside of One Piece. It's definitely a fun one, and as has been said it really is a love letter to the American side of comics, with some nice distinct twists.

Really recommend either series, easily.

Reminds me, I still haven't caught up with One Piece. Every time I try, I make a dent but I eventually give up. I'm just before Punk Hazard, as I recall.

Hagi

Hmm is there no larger volumes for Bendis's Uncanny like there is All New X-Men? Only really interested in owning Uncanny so that's disappointing.

Hmm is there no larger volumes for Bendis's Uncanny like there is All New X-Men? Only really interested in owning Uncanny so that's disappointing.

Yeah, just the standalone hardcovers. The final one isn't coming for a while considering it's supposed to include #600 which got kicked to October.

Hagi

Magik's costume continuing to make her look completely out of place.

She's on a team with someone who shoots golden balls out of himself. Even is she was dressed as Hello Kitty she still wouldn't look out of place in that book. I really like her costume though.

Yeah, just the standalone hardcovers. The final one isn't coming for a while considering it's supposed to include #600 which got kicked to October.

That sucks guess I'll have to buy the trades then.

Owzers

I started reading Slott's Spidey and Human Torch old timey feeling OHC, it reminds me of Silver Surfer's tone. I wasn't sold on it after issue #1 but #2's role swap between Spidey and Johnny was a lot more interesting.

Messi

Uncanny X-Men #35: what a fun issue. I was always curious what would happen if the kids sans Eva went out and tried to be heroes.
Well we got to see that and it was a glorious disaster. Fucking Goldballs man.
Nice breather issue that moved at a nice pace and had good art. Not Bachalo but still good. I see this thread will continue in #600. What are the odds we don't hear anything about the new xmen going forward until nearer #600? I can see them doing a new book with the hero squad and a team leader maybe Storm? Or who else? Magik had that uncanny issue with kitty recently where they went and saved a new mutant kid and Magik said she wanted to get back to helping new mutants, so maybe her? That thread is also going to continue in #600

I really love the cookoos.

Boogiepop

Spidey/Human Torch mini one of my all-time faves

Wait, which mini is this, and is it on IST?

Also, how did opinions on Spiderman and the Xmen fall? It sounded interesting, but then I recall some discussion that maybe the first issue was not so great? If it's at least decent though, I may add it to my next IST order...

Also, how did opinions on Spiderman and the Xmen fall? It sounded interesting, but then I recall some discussion that maybe the first issue was not so great? If it's at least decent though, I may add it to my next IST order...

It appears to be OOP. Here it is on CMX but not HD :/
https://www.comixology.com/Spider-Man-Human-Torch/comics-series/6479?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

It's also on MU

Messi

I really enjoyed Spidey and the X-Men. It is goofy fun and I wish it went on longer. Spider-man in a blazer

tumblr_ni72gb9wJ01qb1i3go1_500.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spidey and the X-Men #2

"I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn people into dinosaurs"

Sauron hitting on Shark Girl high school style.

"Spider-Man how does a man with a internal alarm clock fall into so many traps" lol

This book is great

Yousefb

Finally all caught up with Grayson. It took a whIle for me to really get ino it, wasn't feeling the first few issues honestly. But things are heating up now, the characters are growing on me, and the premise is just simply a fun time. I'm curious where they're going with connecting it to the rest of DC. Also Dick calling
Lex "Mr Clean"
in issue 10 cracked me up. Only thing I didn't really understand is
why Dick is confused about Batman's disappearance. He was involved in Endgame so shouldn't he know Bruce is missing?

Other books I read recently are E is for Extinction which I found to be entertaining and funny. The art is really poppy I love it. Started Weirdworld, definitely a big surprise for me. Refreshing and creative as hell, and talk about amazing art! Another book that looks gorgeous is Infinity Gauntlet. I was hesitant to read any non Richie Nova stuff but this book is actually quite good. Finally also read Master of Kung Fu, feels like a love letter to Kung Fu movis and that is a fantastic thing. Im loving the fact that the books that I least expected to look at are becoming my favorite out of the Secret Wars tie ins.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finally all caught up with Grayson. It took a whIle for me to really get ino it, wasn't feeling the first few issues honestly. But things are heating up now, the characters are growing on me, and the premise is just simply a fun time. I'm curious where they're going with connecting it to the rest of DC. Also Dick calling
Lex "Mr Clean"
in issue 10 cracked me up. Only thing I didn't really understand is
why Dick is confused about Batman's disappearance. He was involved in Endgame so shouldn't he know Bruce is missing?

Bruce isn't missing though, just Batman. Bruce is hanging out with his high school sweetheart, they're totally dating, and doing charity work.

Yousefb

Bruce isn't missing though, just Batman. Bruce is hanging out with his high school sweetheart, they're totally dating, and doing charity work.
You're right I should have said Batman not Bruce. But does Dick know that or does he think he's dead like everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom