• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How many books are in your comixology downloaded backlog. I am at 191.

My MU backlog is 205 atm, and considering oy about 30 of those are single issues (the recent stuff) and the rest are pretty much first issues of whole series...yeah

GAMEPROFF

Banned
commieredghost.jpg

The "OOOH OOH OOOH AHHH!" sound effect is my everything, I want to say that was Dan Slott's idea

Red Ghost is one of the most goofiest villains ever. I am always like oO when he is used today.

This is like Spider-Man originally making his webs with asbestos.

So Aunt Mays health issues came from Peters web? Man, today that would have delivered a really great storyline *g*

This is what I'm hyped about:

bigdaddy.jpg

My god. I want this. My god.

Started Hellboy: Strange Places tonight and just finished The Third Wish.

Not as big and dynamic as Conqueror Worm but still great. Taking Hellboy under the sea made for some really beautiful visuals throughout and the central conflict was definitely entertaining (liked the bit with Hellboy befriending the mermaid). I really like how focused the whole overarching story is too, and how you can see the hints along the way. I also love how Hellboy can just reference things like him being cursed by a being that was throwing garbage at him like it's nothing-- it's great how Mignola manages to sneak in some humor with things like this. It opens the door for an almost unlimited amount of potential oneshots and short stories with the cast of this universe.

I think the last series I read this quickly was Doom Patrol. I'd probably go even faster if I had all of the books and I didn't work more than I did previously. I'm tempted to go buy the BPRD 1946-1948 HC just so I'll have it.

Up to issue #7 of Avengers Vs X-men. The art has gotten better and the writing more tolerable. The Phoenix Five designs are cool, minus Emma.

Magik's costume continuing to make her look completely out of place.
Well Magik's a terrible character

Unless someone recommends me a good story where she's not just a generic sarcasm machine, I will assume that this is her character and she boring as fuck. Peter has a shitty sister.
Love that mini. Paste pot Pete!
Excuse me please

The Trapster
I really enjoyed Spidey and the X-Men. It is goofy fun and I wish it went on longer. Spider-man in a blazer

tumblr_ni72gb9wJ01qb1i3go1_500.png

Spidey and the X-Men #2

"I don't want to cure cancer I want to turn people into dinosaurs"

Sauron hitting on Shark Girl high school style.

"Spider-Man how does a man with a internal alarm clock fall into so many traps" lol

This book is great
Easily one of the best books of this past year.

Another bad thing about Marvel Unlimited is the image quality. Pretty much compression artifacts on every page. Wonder if it's that bad even if you buy issues.

Mindwipe

How many books are in your comixology downloaded backlog. I am at 191.

I only tend to keep about fifteen - twenty downloaded books on my tablet.

But my unread backlog on CMX is 1079 books.

I don't think it's actually quite that bad, some of it is bad data from introducing that feature. And a bunch are free issue #1s of books I've actually read as part of the trade or MU etc. I did get all those freebie Marvel #1s a while back.

I think it's currently about thirty trades worth of unread CMX stuff. But probably another twenty Humble Bundle ones.

Mindwipe

Another bad thing about Marvel Unlimited is the image quality. Pretty much compassion artifacts on every page. Wonder if it's that bad even if you buy issues.

On the plus side it's legions better than the Kindle app - I bought Nu-52 Suicide Squad there on some ludicrous sale and I literally couldn't read it, the image quality was so bad the text wasn't legible.

Amazon didn't seem to give a shit about fixing it.

Ok sorry for not posting these earlier but I was pretty tired from each day and didnt really have a way to make a proper post, but here is a relatively quick summary of how Space City Comic Con went.

Drove from my base of operations (Austin) to Katy (Houston Suburb) with no A/C around 3. It's hotter than hell in my car. Objective: cover costs of getting table/parking and thow a couple bucks in piggy bank for new compressor.

I was able to get a small print run of the first two chapters of Rage Against the Jackal in time for the convention so I had posters, original artwork and my comic for sale. Thankfully there was enough interest for each to sell reasonably well for my first con outside of Austin.

First, the three original pieces I sold

One guy bought a Mucha study I did and a Morpheous/Sandman piece.

I also said goodbye to this baby. Forgive the scan quality and shitty cell phone pics

The same couple that bought the Kiki piece had me do a Totoro sketch

I did this Wicked Witch of the West piece for a guy who had just gotten through some finals. I believe he was studying to be a lab tech.

I did this Furiosa sketch for a girl who had bought an original Iron Giant piece last year at Austin Wizard World.

This Zatanna piece was a lot of fun to do. I still need to read Blood Spell

Harley Quinn came out kind of creepy looking in this. Probably not Messi approved

This was part of an art jam a guy went around commissioning. These are characters from Martian Manhunter from back in the day IIRC. Mine is the last on the right.

My last commission of the con. I was getting tired. You can kind of tell

Head sketch of The Rock. Came out OK-ish. I think I was in a hurry trying to get through all my commissions.

I also got to do a sketch of my own character from Rage Against the Jackal (Ramzey). At this point, I had run out of ink in my brush pen and my back up brush is trash because I treat it like trash so the inking is very 4/10

There were a few others I didn't get pictures of. I forgot to get one of Iron Chef (Iron Man in a chef outfit) and a few others were portraits of the people who got the pieces or their significant others so I'm not sharing those.

Overall, I did pretty good. Certainly enough to cover costs and it helped to have a remastered version of my book to put in front of people. I had one guy contact me after the show to tell me what he thought of my book.

He called it a 'comic' that 'could be read or not'
Actually, he said he thought the story was original and art was great. Yay! First time I've had someone contact me to tell me what they think of the book

Also, if anybody is interested in reading the comic, you can read it here. I also have physical copies, but they're $7 plus shipping (digital printing is not very efficient in regards to cost) but I can offer a free head sketch in there of any character you want. Just PM me

Bad ass ed ,, I fucking love it all.
ill forsure get a physical from ya here shortly

Nudull

Banned
Another bad thing about Marvel Unlimited is the image quality. Pretty much compassion artifacts on every page. Wonder if it's that bad even if you buy issues.

That's the thing with some digital comics, unfortunately.

CMX sale. Indie all-stars

https://www.comixology.com/Indie-All-Stars-Sale/page/7556?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

Had cafe racer on my wish list. Think I'll look into that

I should catch up on Fresh Romance.

So after seeing all the great things about Valiant I decided to start reading it with XO Manowar. I'm 8 issues in and its....ok I guess? Honestly don't think I would continue if I didn't have the Scribd subscription.

The mytholgy/plot is just kind of boring.
The Vine is a total snoozefest of a concept and the alien designs just neutered any potential threat that they have.

Alric ha,s like, zero characterization so far. He's just angry dude displaced out of time. Honestly I think it's Alex that keeps me reading- he's a much more interesting character.

Don't like the art either but I think it may be the inks. Cory Nord usually does great work and I absolutely loved Lee Garbett's work on Batman Last Rites. Just feel like everything is very low impact.

Not giving up on Valiant or anything just a little disappointed because I was under the impression this was their flagship series.

headshot95

Neo Member
Finished Superior Foes of Spiderman last night. What a fantastic book. Looking forward to reading Ant-Man so I can get more of Nick Spencers great comedic writing.

So after seeing all the great things about Valiant I decided to start reading it with XO Manowar. I'm 8 issues in and its....ok I guess? Honestly don't think I would continue if I didn't have the Scribd subscription.

The Vine is a total snoozefest of a concept and the alien designs just neutered any potential threat that they have.

Alric ha,s like, zero characterization so far. He's just angry dude displaced out of time. Honestly I think it's Alex that keeps me reading- he's a much more interesting character.

Don't like the art either but I think it may be the inks. Cory Nord usually does great work and I absolutely loved Lee Garbett's work on Batman Last Rites. Just feel like everything is very low impact.

Not giving up on Valiant or anything just a little disappointed because I was under the impression this was their flagship series.

I feel like X-O is really the Superman of Valiant. I don't mean just in that he has mostly the same power set, but he's the main guy most of the big universe stuff centers around even if he's not altogether that interesting himself. In particular, I enjoy watching how all the other characters react to his existence. I think you should keep reading, though; the crossovers are totally worth it, as they are some of the best stuff Valiant has going for them.

That said, you should check out some of their other stuff since it's all pretty different. My favorite completed run is Harbinger, but aside from Shadowman and Eternal Warrior, everything is spectacular: Ivar, Timewalker; Archer & Armstrong; Quantum & Woody; Ninjak; Bloodshot; Divinity; The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage. I would say it's all varied enough that even if X-O isn't your thing, there's still might be something that pulls you into the universe.

Oh, and The Valiant is the best thing they've put out, imo. It's an epic story/pseudo-event which can be read with little context. If you're willing and able, working up to it isn't too bad; Archer & Armstrong 5-9 and maybe a little Bloodshot would set you up for that.

I'd say x-o and harbinger are their flagship books. And I think harbinger is the stronger book

And Archer & Armstrong my favorite book

And for the record, art is never Valiant's strong point.

I feel like X-O is really the Superman of Valiant. I don't mean just in that he has mostly the same power set, but he's the main guy most of the big universe stuff centers around even if he's not altogether that interesting himself. In particular, I enjoy watching how all the other characters react to his existence. I think you should keep reading, though; the crossovers are totally worth it, as their some of the best stuff Valiant has going for them.

That said, you should check out some of their other stuff since it's all pretty different. My favorite completed run is Harbinger, but aside from Shadowman and Eternal Warrior, everything is spectacular: Ivar, Timewalker; Archer & Armstrong; Quantum & Woody; Ninjak; Bloodshot; Divinity; The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage. I would say it's all varied enough that even if X-O isn't your thing, there's still might be something that pulls you into the universe.

Oh, and The Valiant is the best thing they've put out, imo. It's an epic story/pseudo-event which can be read with little context. If you're willing and able, working up to it isn't too bad; Archer & Armstrong 5-9 and maybe a little Bloodshot would set you up for that.

Thanks. Definitely not giving up. Might go ahead an switch over to Harbinger for a little while to see what's up with that. I actually have the Archer & Armstrong Deluxe Hardcover sitting here as well.

Has Venditti ever written anything of note before or after this? He's never been on my radar before though I see that he is doing Green Lantern now.

B..b..but Paolo Rivera! Honestly I think it was that gorgeous shot of Paolo's that LaunchpadMcQ had for an avatar a little while ago that pushed me into finally getting around to getting into this. That was from The Valiant, correct?

I actually like Cary Nord's work on X-O, but the colors play a huge factor. There was an Armor Hunters tie-in where they tried something completely different with the colors and it blew me away. I think it was the first X-O issue in the event.

That said, i don't usually have huge problems with the art. I was reading Bloodshot: Reborn last night and that's in really good shape artwise. And occasionally they get someone like Paolo Rivera to tear shit up.

Thanks. Definitely not giving up. Might go ahead an switch over to Harbinger for a little while to see what's up with that. I actually have the Archer & Armstrong Deluxe Hardcover sitting here as well.

Has Venditti ever written anything of note before or after this? He's never been on my radar before though I see that he is doing Green Lantern now.

Dont. Just dont. Venditti is good at Valiant stuff and that's it. Armor Hunters is his masterpiece, but that's as far as it goes.

Finished Superior Foes of Spiderman last night. What a fantastic book. Looking forward to reading Ant-Man so I can get more of Nick Spencers great comedic writing.

Yeah you'll definitely enjoy Ant-Man if you liked Superior Foes. The tone is very similar. I do miss Lieber's art though, he was great at humor and nailed a lot of visual jokes.

B..b..but Paolo Rivera! Honestly I think it was that gorgeous shot of Paolo's that LaunchpadMcQ had for an avatar a little while ago that pushed me into finally getting around to getting into this. That was from The Valiant, correct?

Yes, that was by Rivera. He only worked on The Valiant, but it was masterful. His character art is just insane to me.

Phase 2 Valiant they start reinvesting in better dudes (like Rivera and Hairsine and Kano and Erica Henderson and then also the Archer and Armstrong dudes who were always above average become quite great)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom