• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
And finished The Painting That Ate Paris.
Doom Patrol so good.
Now time to read that Japan/reality TV show scene and the Mallah and the Brain issue and then it's back to reading Sleeper. There's a chance I'll be able to finish it today. We'll see.

Kipp

That Mallah and Brain issue of Doom Patrol is TOP TIER. Best ever.
Also, just remembered that I used to have that one panel of Mallah kissing Brain as my avatar for a long time. That was a good avatar.

Heh, and I took the wife out for froyo last night...

Not in San Marcos by chance, was it? Haha

Kipp

I'm totally ok with using Freeza's name as a verb from now on

A bit of ComicsGAF lore for you and all the other more recent regulars:
About a year ago Freeza was screwing up spoiler tags like ALL THE TIME (or probably like twice), so we just started using his name as a verb for when he screwed up spoiler tags.
Clearly we've been slipping on the usage of his name as a verb though.

the-more-you-know.jpg

About a year ago Freeza was screwing up spoiler tags like ALL THE TIME (or probably like twice), so we just started using his name as a verb for when he screwed up spoiler tags.

the-more-you-know.jpg

the opposite of new lore

Halo_Lore_Current.png

Halo_Lore_History.png

the-more-you-know.jpg

Thanks for the history lesson, Uncle Kipp

Wait, isn't Freeza a girl?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Just finished the first issue of The Tape mini-arc on Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye. I really do love the book. It's a great intro to Superhero books since it has a lot of the trappings but doesn't look out or feel like one.

Have these two done anything else together? Also, if I wanted to introduce myself to Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange, what would be good arcs that are ideally on Unlimited?

I'm about halfway through Superior Spider-Man now (Phil just got outed as Hobby), and I'm loving it. I love how Spock almost gets it, but he just can't quite keep from talking and acting like the classic supervillain. He kinda sort of understands what Peter's moral motivation was, but the ethics... the actual means to those goals are completely beneath his notice. Fighting crime is the objective, so... Why not just kill the criminal? Why not set up surveillance robots everywhere and pay henchmen? Why not blackmail the mayor and influence the police? These themes have been done before, in other "anti-hero" kind of books, but seeing it in Spider-Man really drives home how jarring it is to see Batman themes and questions in the light of Spidey's sunny NYC.

Plus, the lighter moments brought on by Otto's complete lack of social skills are pretty entertaining. He just can't help being a clueless, douchey asshole with a bluetooth device in his ear, occasionally trying to force out some Parker style humor.

And I have to say, while I (like most readers) have a love/hate relationship with Ramos, his style fits here. A fucked up artist on a fucked up Spider-Man.

I'm about halfway through Superior Spider-Man now (Phil just got outed as Hobby), and I'm loving it. I love how Spock almost gets it, but he just can't quite keep from talking and acting like the classic supervillain. He kinda sort of understands what Peter's moral motivation was, but the ethics... the actual means to those goals are completely beneath his notice. Fighting crime is the objective, so... Why not just kill the criminal? Why not set up surveillance robots everywhere and pay henchmen? Why not blackmail the mayor and influence the police? These themes have been done before, in other "anti-hero" kind of books, but seeing it in Spider-Man really drives home how jarring it is to see Batman themes and questions in the light of Spidey's sunny NYC.

Plus, the lighter moments brought on by Otto's complete lack of social skills are pretty entertaining. He just can't help being a clueless, douchey asshole with a bluetooth device in his ear, occasionally trying to force out some Parker style humor.

And I have to say, while I (like most readers) have a love/hate relationship with Ramos, his style fits here. A fucked up artist on a fucked up Spider-Man.

I'm sure Slott wrote a lot of Superior as a way to show why superheroes like Spidey and Batman have a line they won't cross. Of course there are some idiots that missed the point and talk up Spock because they think he was cool and getting the job done.

Just finished the first issue of The Tape mini-arc on Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye. I really do love the book. It's a great intro to Superhero books since it has a lot of the trappings but doesn't look out or feel like one.

Have these two done anything else together?

Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja(and assorted fill-ins) did a great run on Immortal Iron Fist not too long ago

MG310

My first actual shift at the FroYo place was last night. Enjoyed it as much as I thought I would! It's very very nice to actually work with people again. I can already tell this is going to be way better than my old job.
Also my cowork-... employees... are super cool too.

Oh, and one of my best friends from Banana Republic totally visited me on my first shift too. She was super wasted the other night and was like "Kipp! I'm totally going to come visit you on your first shift!" and I had assumed that she was just saying that because she was super drunk, but then she actually showed up. It was the best.

Also, having free time again is so crazy. It's awesome. I have pretty much the whole day off again today. Like whaaat.

I'm living vicariously through all of the posts about quitting the job you didn't like and enoying the new one.

Have these two done anything else together? Also, if I wanted to introduce myself to Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange, what would be good arcs that are ideally on Unlimited?

For Fraction and Aja, read it, love it:
On MU, you'll want The Immortal Iron Fist #1–16, Annual #1, Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death, The Origin of Danny Rand

For Doctor Strange:
The Oath
Strange: The Doctor is Out (called Strange (2009) on MU)
Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment (not on MU for some reason, but well worth tracking down)

For Ghost Rider, the best recent one is probably Arron's run, which is Volume 4 #20-35, plus the Heaven's On Fire miniseries.

still a rumor tho right?

and which thunderbolts

please be parkers please be parkers

It'll be Citizen V and co, but with the Ellis-era trappings, if I had to guess.

I'm sure Slott wrote a lot of Superior as a way to show why superheroes like Spidey and Batman have a line they won't cross. Of course there are some idiots that missed the point and talk up Spock because they think he was cool and getting the job done.

Yeah, it seems like that always happens. The same group who misunderstood and idolized Heisenberg/Tony Soprano/Scarface etc.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
For Fraction and Aja, read it, love it:

On MU, you'll want The Immortal Iron Fist #1–16, Annual #1, Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death, The Origin of Danny Rand

For Doctor Strange:
The Oath
Strange: The Doctor is Out (called Strange (2009) on MU)
Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment (not on MU for some reason, but well worth tracking down)

For Ghost Rider, the best recent one is probably Arron's run, which is Volume 4 #20-35, plus the Heaven's On Fire miniseries.

It'll be Citizen V and co, but with the Ellis-era trappings, if I had to guess.
Excellent! Thanks.

I can't believe I'm reading superhero comics!

Kipp

Kipp is the yogurt free? Don't eat the yogurt if it isn't free. That is theft.

It is free for employees. It's a shame I don't even like sweets though. Just figured I ought to give it a try last night since I hadn't had it in ages, but I probably won't be having any more anytime soon.

Kipp

It was better than Hawkeye. There I said it!

I've only read the first 11 issues of Hawkeye, so I can't say with total certainty, but I enjoyed Hawkeye much more than IIF. Don't get me wrong, I thought IIF was an excellent comic, but Hawkeye was groundbreaking and extraordinary.

Hmm I wonder what the chances of another Valiant bundle this year are. I pretty much own everything, but it would be a good excuse for others to get in on it.

Zombine

Banned
I'm just going to pretend that the Wonder Woman figure that comes with Gods & Monsters isn't the same size as the Harley Quinn that came with Assault On Arkham because Wonder Woman is an Amazon.

Hmm I wonder what the chances of another Valiant bundle this year are. I pretty much own everything, but it would be a good excuse for others to get in on it.

If it's Humble, they probably won't re-offer anything that came with the first bundle.

That's what they did with the second big Dynamite bundle anyway, it was all more volumes of stuff that was in the first one.

There IS a new book bundle tomorrow though.

If it's Humble, they probably won't re-offer anything that came with the first bundle.

That's what they did with the second big Dynamite bundle anyway, it was all more volumes of stuff that was in the first one.

That's what I was thinking, but there are some new solid jump-on points they didn't have in the old bundle.

Mindwipe

The Transformers bundles had some duplication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom