• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Zombeen, guess what else is being made:

331529.jpg

Zombine

Banned
One should expected the R film to have the lesser budget nowadays, especially when you're hiding the star power behind a mask for 90% of the film.

Eh the trailers are giving me a vibe that we're going to see a fair amount of his face ala Spider-Man, where he just can't help but to take his mask off every five minutes to remind the audience that he is indeed Ryan Reynolds and that it is a Ryan Reynolds film.

Hey Zombeen, guess what else is being made:

When in doubt buy both.

So guys! I have Marvel Unlimited and I want to know the best comic lines I can read on there regardless of characters. I want to know the ones with the best plots, the biggest plot twists, and the best set of characters without making it to hard to follow. I don't mind the character or group the line is based on as long as its great! Thanks!

So guys! I have Marvel Unlimited and I want to know the best comic lines I can read on there regardless of characters. I want to know the ones with the best plots, the biggest plot twists, and the best set of characters without making it to hard to follow. I don't mind the character or group the line is based on as long as its great! Thanks!

I'll throw out Bendis & Maleev's Daredevil run. Fucking stellar. And from there it goes right into Brubaker's run, which was also very very good.

Zombine

Banned

Superior Foes of Spider-Man. It's really clever and funny.

Start here:
GJCE1Jil.jpg

Is there a Batman story were Waynes Identity is made avaiable to a larger public?
Yes, in the Elseworlds tale "The Tyrant."

NfKFvGO.jpg

Bruce Wayne is raised by Jonathan Crane after his parents' murder, and is unmasked in one of his early adventures as Batman only to be praised by the city's populace. As one might imagine from the story's title, it doesn't go so well.

Nudull

Banned
Depends. Why did you think it was shit?

It does nothing new or truly interesting with its universe, and just ends up being a grocery list of nearly every cliché and problematic element of a "dark superheroes" story one could imagine. Much of what would've been some interesting insights into how some characters ended up amounted to little else but glorified cameos, including
some deaths, including Silas and Victor Stone, which is pretty damn suspect when you realize that they are the only major/named black characters aside from Amanda Waller in the entire film.

There's also a huge-ass problem I have with
Superman's rapey-as-hell origin, and how it was ultimately handled. It's very much a "child by rape" origin, and it's mostly used for little else but giving Superman angst throughout the last third of the movie when he eventually figures things out. Aside from the very obvious issues with all of this, may I ask; why even do this when the film (being an AU story) could've easily went with so many alternatives that would retained Superman's character arc with being Zod's son without subjecting Lara to all of that crap? "Mainstream Superman's origin, but with alien rape" just reeks of horrible, problematic writing for the sake of being "edgy".

Then, there's the other problem;
the film's ultimate villain. Namely, Dr. Will Magnus and the Metal Men. Granted, this is a alternate universe story, but this comes right the hell out of nowhere. It honestly just seemed like they just pulled a random science-based character's name out of a hat so that they and pre-vampBats Kirk Langstrom could be college buddies, fight and have tensions over a woman (which is a big part of the film), who (of course) gets fridged to send them both over the edge. And then, there's Platinum's nipples. Just...why?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Going back to a topic only me and gketter care about, MU releases are wack. They just added spider verse #2 from November when this week's releases range from January to March releases. Wtf is going on lol

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Aaaand just read the last 10 issues of Sleeper and finished the series.
Basically the same feelings I've already repeated like thirty times since starting it. Excellent comic and I enjoyed it massively.

The only thing I have to add at this point is that I'm super happy I was able to just jam through an omnibus so quickly like that. I'm officially back into comics, boys. :D

I'll throw out Bendis & Maleev's Daredevil run. Fucking stellar. And from there it goes right into Brubaker's run, which was also very very good.

For this, should I just jumo straight into Bendis and Maleev or read the whole entire Daredevil line where they then show up?

Like should I start at DD #26 where Bendis and Maleev show up or start at #1?

For this, should I just jumo straight into Bendis and Maleev or read the whole entire Daredevil line where they then show up?

If you feel like reading 25 issues for continuity's sake, by all means. Though as long as you have a general understanding of the character you can jump right into the Bendis run without issue. I don't even know specifically what came before the Bendis run, honestly.

Going back to a topic only me and gketter care about, MU releases are wack. They just added spider verse #2 from November when this week's releases range from January to March releases. Wtf is going on lol
Haha I posted about that yesterday. Last week in spiderverse I'm reading comics that are referencing tie in books that MU hadn't released until this week. I don't know why they don't just have their releases all synced up together. This doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

Agreed! I read these in anticipation of the release of Daredevil on Netflix and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
I think I OD'd on Daredevil and then went back for more it was that good. Damn I want those in hardcover but they are stupidly expensive.

Aaaand just read the last 10 issues of Sleeper and finished the series.
Basically the same feelings I've already repeated like thirty times since starting it. Excellent comic and I enjoyed it massively.

The only thing I have to add at this point is that I'm super happy I was able to just jam through an omnibus so quickly like that. I'm officially back into comics, boys. :D

I'm serious when I say your enthusiasm for good comics is one of my favorite things about this thread and I missed it

Boogiepop

I care about the weirdness, though not necessarily the stuff being added now. Like, they did a pretty piss poor job of the non-Spider-Girl stuff in that universe. Like, they added half of the brief runs for most of those short series. As in, like, Avengers Next or whatever only having 6 out of 12 issues. The worst being Fantastic Five (2007), which only got the first of it's five issues. Like, why even bother doing that?

If you feel like reading 25 issues for continuity's sake, by all means. Though as long as you have a general understanding of the character you can jump right into the Bendis run without issue. I don't even know specifically what came before the Bendis run, honestly.

Gotcha. I know the basics of Daredevil enough to understand I think. I watched the show and loved it so I'm down for some more DD.

Also, how do I delete stuff out of my library on Marvel Unlimited app?

Am I gonna be the only one on GAF who walked away from Gods and Monsters thinking it was utter shit?

Not utter shit but it wasn't super great. It was pretty middle of the pack. Timm is a bit too ambitious for a 1 hr 30 min film in terms of world building, the film felt like three origin stories (one great, one ok, one meh) + an underwhelming villain.

I don't care for heroes that kill without need.
inb4 avatar quote

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I care about the weirdness, though not necessarily the stuff being added now. Like, they did a pretty piss poor job of the non-Spider-Girl stuff in that universe. Like, they added half of the brief runs for most of those short series. As in, like, Avengers Next or whatever only having 6 out of 12 issues. The worst being Fantastic Five (2007), which only got the first of it's five issues. Like, why even bother doing that?

OG Thunderbolts is missing half it's run which is a crime against humanity

Don't skip out on the David Mack issues. Echo is an amazing character. I'm not sure how Kevin smiths issues hold up now. I remember liking them at the time.

OG Thunderbolts is missing half it's run which is a crime against humanity
Yea. Marvel treats it like a DC 90s series. I don't know why

Don't skip out on the David Mack issues. Echo is an amazing character. I'm not sure how Kevin smiths issues hold up now. I remember liking them at the time.

Yea. Marvel treats it like a DC 90s series. I don't know why

Mack and Starkings leads into Bendis who works with Mack on a few and then goes away only for Stan the man to work with Mack on one. After that it goes back to Mack and Starkings until it transitions to Bendis and Maleev. I'll start with Mack

Kipp

I'm serious when I say your enthusiasm for good comics is one of my favorite things about this thread and I missed it

Aww, thanks man. That's nice of you to say. It makes me happy to know you're enjoying my comics posts! Hopefully they'll keep on coming!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How's the new Ms Marvel?

Also, want to learn more and read more Dr Strange. Lead me!

One of the best "coming of age" superhero books I've read in years. There's a genuine voice to Kamala and her growth as a hero is well-done. The art is fantastic (even the fill-in artists are excellent) and New Jersey finally spawned something great: Ms. Marvel.

Kipp

All right, so before I read anything else, I'm going to finish the second Hellboy Library Edition. Because, let's be honest, I should've done that a looooong time ago.

And then after that I'm thinking Orion omnibus (I'll let you know when I start that, whatsinaname).

Messi

How long does Mikel Janin stay on Justice League Dark? I bought Vol 1 today for Zatanna and was surprised to see his name attached.

Is Finch and Huston's run of Moon Knight any good?

For Doctor Strange, where do I start?

Any good Star Wars comics worth reading?
Haven't read that moon knight run but I haven't heard good things

Doctor strange read the Oath mini. And then you're good.

I'll defer the SW to others. I bought a bunch at a sale but haven't read them yet. But hey, new SW #1 just came out on MU

Watching Agents of Shield for the first (ish) time...

The Avengers 2 transition is impressively jarring. Nowhere near as well handled as the Winter Soldier stuff. We go from
"hey, Coulson's got a Helicarrier!"
to
"Well, I guess Coulson saved the world with the Helicarrier... somehow?"
Oh, and everybody's friendly!

And then the Inhuman stuff keeps going without missing a beat. Very ood.

Zombine

Banned
Ok, so without giving anything major away I have to say that I thought Gods & Monsters was very good. I enjoyed the animation, and the fight scenes were really brutal. Acting was much better than your typical DC DTV movie, and with Timm involved the background got much more detail than what you would find in some of the other films. My interest in this universe is still very much intact, and I would love it if DC continued to release more books and shorts after the events of the movie.

The boobs were a lie. It was nothing.

But yeah, I would give the film a rock solid 8/10. It's a movie I think you should buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom