• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on picking up the trades unless I'm really uncertain. Not interested in having a load of singles lying around. Likely to invest in a tablet for digital in the coming months.

Ok, well Squirrel Girl isn't out till August. I highly recommend The Ghost Fleet if you haven't read it.

PsychBat!

Banned
How do you figure? Messi has like, half as many posts in this thread as I do. He ain't even pulling his weight this month.

It's not because of the post count that he's giving me the crown, Freeza. It's because of the posts... that count.

5UGsyF.gif

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WE'RE ACTUALLY BACK. THANK GOODNESS.

So. I read I Kill Giants. So one here promised me it would be a good time and that I would really enjoy it. I was left like this

That hit way too close to home.

Did I not tell you it was amazing and you'd love it!?

I personally didn't like it. I thought both the art and writing were pretty poor overall. I'm certainly an outlier though. Almost everyone else ever loved it.

I personally didn't like it. I thought both the art and writing were pretty poor overall. I'm certainly an outlier though. Almost everyone else ever loved it.

Kipp, you're an outlier amongst outliers on this one. Gaydos nails that gritty art. Only guy who's better at that style is Maleev.

TheStig88

Give Shutter vol 1 a go, vol 2 is out next week.
Will check it out, and on that note Saga as well.

Ok, well Squirrel Girl isn't out till August. I highly recommend The Ghost Fleet if you haven't read it.
Trades unless they're not available I should have said. Will probably grab Squirrel Girl 1-2 at least. Will put that on the list for future reading. I'm going to walk out broke today if I'm not careful.

Messi

Will check it out, and on that note Saga as well.

Trades unless they're not available I should have said. Will probably grab Squirrel Girl 1-2 at least. Will put that on the list for future reading. I'm going to walk out broke today if I'm not careful.

I just assumed you would have read Saga. Saga is stunning.

TheStig88

I just assumed you would have read Saga. Saga is stunning.
When I said I wasn't a comic reader I meant it. No joke, this is very nearly the first time I'm dipping my toes in, aside from the two books I mentioned and Lady Mechanika. These be uncharted waters for me.

Tizoc

We back!

It's not, strictly speaking, Comics! but I used the break to get caught up on Gunnerkrigg Court, which I adore but had sadly fallen off my radar as of late. Fantastic stuff, recommend it heartily to everybody, especially the Girly Hijinx club.

Also, this:

Really got to me, especially considering how dark the previous couple of chapters have been.

Gunnerkrigg Court is comics regardless of what goes on in this thread.
I needt o catch up already =_=

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Didn't love it. Those were tears of complete sadness :/

Meh. Close enough.

Kipp, you're an outlier amongst outliers on this one. Gaydos nails that gritty art. Only guy who's better at that style is Maleev.

Man, I'm all for that general style of art... but TO MY EYES (your opinion is totally valid as is everyone else's - I promise I'm not starting that fight here) he was totally amateur in many ways. His faces were super vague and didn't show any specific emotions and his copy and pasting panels was absolutely inexcusable. There were a few points where he almost seemed enjoyable, but they were few and far between.

With that said, anyone wanna buy my Alias omnibus? Haha
For real though, I'll sell it for like $35 + shipping if someone here wants it. No reason to keep a book on my shelf that I didn't enjoy that everyone else enjoys.

Messi

When I said I wasn't a comic reader I meant it. No joke, this is very nearly the first time I'm dipping my toes in, aside from the two books I mentioned and Lady Mechanika. These be uncharted waters for me.

But you said you read Sunstone yes? You read the best first I see.

Velvet by Brubaker and Epting is amazing also.

Bendis was asked this on twitter, loooooool

Will Miles Morales be getting a new girlfriend now that he's broken up with Katie Bishop?

sure. after he gets over HIS UNIVERSE BEING DESTROYED BY HICKM- i mean doom. lord doom.

Sex during red tide is the same damn thing as regular sex. Anyone that doesn't mind anal should have no reason to mind that (well, unless you gon try it on brand new white sheets or something). As for eating out a person during red tide, weeeell, there are two kinds of people, those that say that you shouldn't try it and those that say that period blood doesn't taste or smell. I call the latter folks filthy fucking liars.

Learned from experience, fwiw. A girl asking me to eat her out in that state is the equivalent of me asking for a bj while knowing that dick cheese is in place.
haha did you come out looking like a vampire?

hmm well I'd still try it. Though the opportunity is unlikely to come considering my wife is on birth control and doesn't have periods due to health issues.

I remember dating some girls who said guys would never have sex when they had their period. Smh.

Hmm on topic, I think I'm gonna make a couple big IST orders on my birthday in august. One big enough for free shipping and then one massive one right after to take advantage of the extra 2% offer.

TheStig88

But you said you read Sunstone yes? You read the best first I see.

Velvet by Brubaker and Epting is amazing also.

Bendis was asked this on twitter, loooooool
Sunstone is the very catalyst for this burgeoning interest. Freeza mentioned it once in FigureGAF, I binged it beginning to end twice that night, and now here I am.

frye

There's probably a lesson here about buying humongous hardbacks of things you've never read

...or naaah cuz those babies look hella good on my ikea bookshelves

Messi

Sunstone is the very catalyst for this burgeoning interest. Freeza mentioned it once in FigureGAF, I binged it beginning to end twice that night, and now here I am.

I believe it was freeza who pm'd me about it ages ago.

that girl loves her lewdness.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Looking to start trade-waiting a few series:

Ms. Marvel
Saga
The Wicked + The Devine

I'm waiting on The Manhattan Projects to wrap up completely, as I always lose the plot with Hickman.

I'm thinking of grabbing Black Science, Deadly Class or both of them. Do they lend themselves to trade reading or is similar to TMP where I should just wait til it's all done?

Messi

Looking to start trade-waiting a few series:

I'm waiting on The Manhattan Projects to wrap up completely, as I always lose the plot with Hickman.

I'm thinking of grabbing Black Science, Deadly Class or both of them. Do they lend themselves to trade reading or is similar to TMP where I should just wait til it's all done?

They are all great for trade reading. Fantastic choices.

Messi

So do I, admittedly. Half the reason I picked up the book at first glance. And then Stjepan went and pulled all that emotion stuff on me.

Thats how I was hooked. I mentioned bdsm stuff and she pm'd me with Sunstone. Sejic lured you in with the sex and allys glasses and hit you with the feels train repeatedly. So good.

BROTHER /liquidsnake

It took me a little bit to warm up to it. The first half of the book was really about getting familiar with the world they're living in, and the considerable amounts of old-timey language made things a bit more difficult in that respect. But I really like how they poured science-fiction elements into a medieval fantasy setting.

Man, I'm all for that general style of art... but TO MY EYES (your opinion is totally valid as is everyone else's - I promise I'm not starting that fight here) he was totally amateur in many ways. His faces were super vague and didn't show any specific emotions and his copy and pasting panels was absolutely inexcusable. There were a few points where he almost seemed enjoyable, but they were few and far between.

oh sure, he did a lot of panel-pasting and I won't defend him on that front. He's like a poor-man's Alex Maleev for sure, but I don't think he's a bad artist. Not nearly.

I vaguely remember that!

RIP FigureGAF

Deadly Class is amazing and you should definitely read each issue as it comes out.

Black Science on the other hand, while also super-awesome, is a book where I have similar issues as I (and you, seemingly) do with Manhattan Projects and other science-focused books wherein I tend to lose the plot from issue to issue, and therefore it reads much better in trade format.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They are all great for trade reading. Fantastic choices.

thanks for the input dude

Deadly Class is amazing and you should definitely read each issue as it comes out.

Black Science on the other hand, while also super-awesome, is a book where I have similar issues as I (and you, seemingly) do with Manhattan Projects and other science-focused books wherein I tend to lose the plot from issue to issue, and therefore it reads much better in trade format.

well both i'm going to trade-wait for. i'm gonna take a break from monthlies for a while.

i take it DC and BS are unique enough to read at the same time, and both read well in trades.

guess i'll grab both and see where we go!

well both i'm going to trade-wait for. i'm gonna take a break from monthlies for a while.

Probably a good idea for your wallet's sake.

i take it DC and BS are unique enough to read at the same time, and both read well in trades.

Absolutely. Deadly Class is set in the 80's and is about a group of students who attend a school for assassins. Black Science is a time-travel / alternate dimension-hopping adventure book.

OK, making a trip to my LCS today. On the shortlist of books that caught my interest: Rat Queens, Deadly Class, Sex Criminals, Gotham Academy, Squirrel Girl, and possibly some She-Hulk.

Anything must-reads you guys want to add to that list? Aside from Sunstone and Power Trip (which I really, really enjoyed) I don't have much to go off of as far as what I like, except that I'm more interested in stuff that isn't cape related, though that's not to say that I'm opposed to it.
Some good picks there, looks good to me.

Also you liked Power Girl?
d1pEdtP.gif

my friend
Did ya'll niggas read the Spire or nah

We had a small talk about it the other night b, shit's cash.

And GAF being down didn't really effect me much today but it led to some fun antics on twitter at least.

Messi

Stig, did you know that the current amazing comicgaf multi book of the month winner (once beating out the final issue of the amazing locke and key) Harley Quinn book is written by the Power Trip team.

Stig, did you know that the current amazing comicgaf multi book of the month winner (once beating out the final issue of the amazing locke and key) Harley Quinn book is written by the Power Trip team.

So is Starfire which is going to have Atlee in it in a few months

Rich Johnston sure does pass off some dumb shit as news.

But the sixth printing will actually have the first printing cover printed on top of the 6th printing cover, for some reason.

Which means that with the judicious use of a scapel, you could transform a sixth printing into a first printing and no one could tell the difference.

Possibly. Maybe there will be a tell-tale sign.

Mindwipe

I'd put good money on it going on sale the week that the show goes on Netflix. You've already waited twelve years :)

More on catching up on my backlog: Read Aphrodite IX over the last few days. Now there's a book that radically shifts in quality between volume 1 and 2, despite the same creative team. The main character not being a complete cypher helps, who'd know!

Also read Pretty Deadly vol 1 earlier on in the week, that was good. Went somewhere quite different to where I was expecting. Starting Death Vigil now, seems pretty good for an artist written book given the track record of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom