• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Great, that first issue was so well done.

And already got the whole run of The Fade Out, it's pretty tremendous so far. Copperhead is the one I'm wondering if it's worth getting or not though, the premise and art are fantastic but the first two issues are pretty slow.

I found Copperhead kind of tips on at that pace and never really builds up to a big bang for the end of the first arc. BUT. That said, I find my self compelled to read it each month and it is one of the first books I read each month. Its an odd one. I felt the first issue of the second arc had a smoother start now that I am familliar with the characters.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One more question, does Y The Last Man just keep getting better and better, and buying the whole run while it's on sale is my best bet? Or is there a good stopping point?

Calcium

Banned
One more question, does Y The Last Man just keep getting better and better, and buying the whole run while it's on sale is my best bet? Or is there a good stopping point?

You'll want to see the story through to the conclusion. I can't imagine stopping early anywhere that would feel like a satisfying end.

Messi

That was like over a week ago

...how long has Inorigo been banned?!

Something seems to have happened involving slurs from some members and his reaction to them in a persona thread according to his posts.

edit: He hasnt been on since the 24th so I guess thats when it happened.

The comixology Image/Eisner sales have made me grab tons of first issues of a lot of series...anyone got word on whether these are really great and worth buying the whole runs of?

Rumble (great start!)
Copperhead
Sex Criminals
Wicked + Divine
Trees
Ex Machina

........Oh. But man, it seems so cool...
Ex machina is one I really liked. y the last man is overall stronger but the politics + super hero stuff was a lot of fun. And sex criminals is a must read.

frye

You'll want to see the story through to the conclusion. I can't imagine stopping early anywhere that would feel like a satisfying end.

It does that BKV thing where every issue with maybe 4 or 5 exceptions ends on a cliffhanger of some kind so there's really no natural stopping point until the end

Inorigo requested a self-ban, he'll be back.

Forgot to mention it but I also grabbed that Batman Adventures Holiday Special while it was on sale along with Year 100, gonna read that now.

Thanks for linking the article, JC... I really enjoyed it. I'm surprised thought balloons stuck around for as long as they did, honestly.

Well like he said, the thought balloon is a distinctly comic book idea. Its a way to tell the reader how a character feels about actions in a way you can't do in a movie or a book. It definitely had its usage. But the caption box just has more utility. You can put them anywhere on the page because they don't have a tail you have to connect. They can be utilized for dramatic effect in their placement and how they connect us in the heads of the characters.

DKR.JPG

Because of their "remove" from the narrative, they don't have to "pause" the action for a character to think all those complete thoughts. They don't have to comment on the current action in the panel, it could be about anything. They can show a juxtaposition between what's happening on the page and what the character really thinks, like that Black Panther page in the article. You can do that playful Alan Moore thing when he uses dialog in another scene to thematically link the action in another scene:

watchmen-313.jpg

I use DKR and Watchmen because I always felt that was the major shifting point from thought balloons to narration captions. They were such huge influential works on just about everybody, even the really early work of Grant Morrison or old-school comic lover Mark Waid

zenith-2.jpg

flash_return_of_barry_allen.jpg

Slowly but surely the Thought Balloon just got wiped out, to the point where Jason Aaron has to explain them to people in his new Thor series.

don't know WTF that nigga is doing on the Uncanny Avengers cover tho. All-New, All-Different indeed. Is this a John McCrea reference or something

uncannyavengers1-142003.jpg
Like I said probably a cover change. Remender's cover for UA was probably his typical of serious pose in the middle. Quick cover change when Remender said he was leaving.

He said it was not a rush job when he replied to my commentary on Twitter about the cover. Style change.

I know we're only a couple issues into most of the tie-ins, but what seem to be the best or most interesting secret wars tie ins so far? For me, I think it might just be Old Man Logan. The book itself isn't all that interesting so far, but I enjoyed the what if? world that the original story crafted that I like that it is exploring it a bit more.

The one old comic book convention that annoys me the most isn't really thought bubbles but how every line of dialog ended with an exclamation mark.

It was surprising how long that convention lasted. So when I read classic comics I have to train my eyes to ignore them.

The one old comic book convention that annoys me the most isn't really thought bubbles but how every line of dialog ended with an exclamation mark.

It was surprising how long that convention lasted. So when I read classic comics I have to train my eyes to ignore them.

How is "narrating on-panel action" not worse than either of those?

I know we're only a couple issues into most of the tie-ins, but what seem to be the best or most interesting secret wars tie ins so far? For me, I think it might just be Old Man Logan. The book itself isn't all that interesting so far, but I enjoyed the what if? world that the original story crafted that I like that it is exploring it a bit more.
I really like The Infinity Gauntlet. Having a Nova family set in a post-apocalyptic world is really interesting and the ending parts to the second issue make me really excited for the rest of it.

Owzers

As a skinny person i approve of Stegman's cover, but it does look like bites were taken out of Deadpool's arms. And Rodger's torso. And....okay i don't want to look at this cover anymore it's really creepy where people just have parts of their body missing.

Messi

not even Chris Burnham can make that outfit work

2279533a64960c52da1188f20bbcf997.jpg

I can't fuckin stand Joker white skin Harley omg who is this person

stop these hurtful comments she's #damaged

Don't know why they bothered using that cover. It's total trash. Should have just used another Conner cover.

Cade

guys i was joking the joke spoilers were in the post when would i ever know anything about spider-man y'all trippin

frye

XMen96.jpg

Someone pointed out that Cylcops loses an argument with Claremont's captions here once and now I snicker every time I see this sequence

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I found Copperhead kind of tips on at that pace and never really builds up to a big bang for the end of the first arc. BUT. That said, I find my self compelled to read it each month and it is one of the first books I read each month. Its an odd one. I felt the first issue of the second arc had a smoother start now that I am familliar with the characters.
Exactly, the plot seems nonexistent but it's still really compelling. Space-western with (hopefully) good characters and that art, so guess I'll keep going.

Zombine

Banned
Zombeen likes everything confirmed.

I liked it a lot more than Jurassic World. I thought that film was kinda boring. Freaking Arnie killed it in this movie, and it pretty firmly established that these movies exist in a multiverse. So if you like DC or Marvel...you should dig this.

I liked it a lot more than Jurassic World. I thought that film was kinda boring. Freaking Arnie killed it in this movie, and it pretty firmly established that these movies exist in a multiverse. So if you like DC or Marvel...you should dig this.

That's some, uh, interesting logic there.

TheStig88

instocktrades.com love those prices and amazing shipping quality
Dayyyum, you weren't kidding about those prices. Scooped up a couple more from my list and I'm going to give Velvet a shot because it looks positively badass after a quick perusal. That also linked me to Fatale, which sounds equally awesome. Starting to feel like I've opened Pandora's Box.

About to have a friend at work beating that gong. He's absolutely convinced it's going to be awesome. I'm... not.

Zombine

Banned
About to have a friend at work beating that gong. He's absolutely convinced it's going to be awesome. I'm... not.

I thought it was going to be complete shite from the get go. We went because we were exhausted from shopping all day and just wanted to sit down. Way better than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom