• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought Rivera went off DD to do his own stuff but he pops up 3 years later doing Valiant Comics (amazing work obvs but still!)

I've been thinking that for months.

But at least we got Chris Samnee on DD when he left. Thank you, Steve Wacker, for your immaculate taste in picking artists.

Also, not one of the best deals on Amazon right now, but for a mere $7 and change, The Valiant is a masterclass standalone story and a great entry point into the Valiant Universe. Here's some samples of Paolo Rivera's incredible work on that series. One of the few stories I felt like re-reading immediately after finishing.
You couldn't have blacked out the Lemire panels? Tired of his "why was I drawn" look on his characters.

arkon

It would have been faster for you to just awnser than it is for me to search for and load up the comic on MU because it's such a piece of shit app

But hey why awnser a comic question on a comic forum when there is snark to be done I guess

You and everyone else. It's one more of those "high priority" things I want to get to :/

No need to get uppity because somebody didn't cover for your laziness. The information is out there and easily googleable (ooer).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Waaaaaaaaaiit.... I thought you liked the MU app?

No I love the service. The app is an abortion. I have to reload my library like 3 times to get my actual updated list for example

No need to get uppity because somebody didn't cover for your laziness. The information is out there and easily googleable (ooer).

Ah yes I forgot asking comic book questions on comic book forums is laziness, because it can't just be prefering the interactivity with people that enjoy the same medium. You're right. Why even bother asking for opinions too, I can just Google reviews. Nothing we talk about here isn't "out there"

But hey, back to sex talk or dragonball or whatever I interrupted with my lazy question about a comic book artist.

Godzilla Half Century War Hardcover this week, and it's oversized.
... and then Godzilla in Hell the following week. FUCK YEAH.
CsmQJ6U.jpg

It would have been faster for you to just awnser than it is for me to search for and load up the comic on MU because it's such a piece of shit app

But hey why awnser a comic question on a comic forum when there is snark to be done I guess

Hey why pay attention at all to the people that make the comics you read and dismiss the notion that people would actually value the work artists put in enough to pay $800+ for original art.

To save you time, you might actually just want to search for it online. Typing 'ribic thor' in google will literally give you an answer for results in.

Steve Wacker: Kind of an asshole but also a Really Good Comics Editor

Yes but every once in a while he'll give us a top floor artist

Zombine

Banned
Is this a good thing? I've never read a Godzilla comic.

It's Stokoe, It's Godzilla, and it's amazing. IDW Godzilla comics get real stupid, but Stokoe went back to Godzilla's roots and made the Kaiju forces of nature. The story follows a soldier through his half-century journey trying to fight Godzilla and it's fucking ace.

How's the writing on those godzilla comics? Art is obv baller to the maxx.

Also, not one of the best deals on Amazon right now, but for a mere $7 and change, The Valiant is a masterclass standalone story and a great entry point into the Valiant Universe. Here's some samples of Paolo Rivera's incredible work on that series. One of the few stories I felt like re-reading immediately after finishing.

#sold. Thanks.

I've only read the Half Century War series and it's pretty good, it showcases most of Godzilla's rogues with wonderful Stokoe art.

OMG DAT ART AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's Stokoe, It's Godzilla, and it's amazing. IDW Godzilla comics get real stupid, but Stokoe went back to the characters and made the Kaiju forces of nature, and the story follows a soldier through his half-century journey trying to fight Godzilla. It's fucking ace.

Hm. Maybe I'll toss it in my IST order this week. How much is the list price on it?

Now that I think about it, Half Century War has a lot of double page spreads. Hopefully there isn't too much gutter loss in the hardcover.

Good thing I also got the digital trade.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey why pay attention at all to the people that make the comics you read and dismiss the notion that people would actually value the work artists put in enough to pay $800+ for original art.

To save you time, you might actually just want to search for it online. Typing 'ribic thor' in google will literally give you an answer for results in.

Oh shit this is about my comment about the $800 page days ago? Good lord dude do you hold a grudge or what? Damn :/

But hey it was a silly comment on my part, especially when I've spent as much or more on shit others would consider stupid (I just wouldn't be offended by it) so I do apologize for that.

Edit: that Godzila art is too pretty

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Stokoe is the god. Wish Orc Stain was a regular (or real...) thing.

that looks so good but Valiant is super intimidating. i wish i didn't miss that humble bundle :/

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Starting Wytches tonight. I have high hopes and got every issue for $1 each so I'm feeling so jazzed. I feel like I'm getting a steady stable of books to check out each month now with Providence, Afterlife, Chilling Tales of Sabrina, Nameless, Baltimore, and maybe Wytches.

I know not each of those books come out monthly but when they DO, I intend to pick them up. I got a credit enough to buy a new Baltimore one-shot tonight for answering surveys from Google, so that's pretty cool.

I see a "The Doom that came to Gotham" collection is coming out this December for a nice price. How did you guys feel about that. If it's Mignola, I'm there!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Starting Wytches tonight. I have high hopes and got every issue for $1 each so I'm feeling so jazzed. I feel like I'm getting a steady stable of books to check out each month now with Providence, Afterlife, Chilling Tales of Sabrina, Nameless, Baltimore, and maybe Wytches.

I know not each of those books come out monthly but when they DO, I intend to pick them up. I got a credit enough to buy a new Baltimore one-shot tonight for answering surveys from Google, so that's pretty cool.

I see a "The Doom that came to Gotham" collection is coming out this December for a nice price. How did you guys feel about that. If its Mignola, I'm there!

It seems that Wytches will be a series of 6-issue standalone stories.

I know based on the first set I will be there for as long as Snyder writes it. You're in for a treat.

Oh shit this is about my comment about the $800 page days ago? Good lord dude do you hold a grudge or what? Damn :/

But hey it was a silly comment on my part, especially when I've spent as much or more on shit others would consider stupid (I just wouldn't be offended by it) so I do apologize for that.

Edit: that Godzila art is too pretty

Comment was made yesterday (at least in my time zone) but w/e

Not offended by your comment. I've never bought original art. Artists work their asses off, few make good money, historically have gotten screwed by the industry and are criminally undervalued. Reason the industry tears through artists is because comics fans have historically not given a shit about how creators are treated.

That kind of attitude is the same kind of attitude that enables someone to think someone is silly for dropping hundreds if not thousands of dollars on pieces of art. Your comment isnt silly. It just completely misunderstands the value people place on art.

Owzers

Are you trying to shit on it, because it still sounds awesome.

i think "stokoe godzilla art book" is a decent proposition for comic money. Halfway through and it reminds me of the newest Godzilla remake movie, too focused on human soldiers when all i want to see is crazy monster shenanigans.

Rhaknar

Comment was made yesterday (at least in my time zone) but w/e

Not offended by your comment. I've never bought original art. Artists work their asses off, few make good money, historically have gotten screwed by the industry and are criminally undervalued. Reason the industry tears through artists is because comics fans have historically not given a shit about how creators are treated.

That kind of attitude is the same kind of attitude that enables someone to think someone is silly for dropping hundreds if not thousands of dollars on pieces of art. Your comment isnt silly. It just completely misunderstands the value people place on art.

I don't misunderstand it, I just don't value it. I don't have to agree with something to say "hey its your money do whatever you want with it, god knows I've spent my share of silly money", which didn't really come across in my comment the other day I admit, but it was a stupid jokey line that you are over analysing way too much.

I'm the guy that blows money on fucking costumes for videogame characters, I have no place criticising anyone for how they spend they money (which tbh I wasn't even doing, not really, it was just a stupid joke)

My favorite 90s xmen moment and one of my favorite xmen events ever is on sale on CMX. Age of Apocalypse! Embrace the 90s
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Age-of-Apocalypse-Sale/page/7299?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA&list7373_pg=1

0918df4dd0c189e67d3654d099aee5b5.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

I see a "The Doom that came to Gotham" collection is coming out this December for a nice price. How did you guys feel about that. If its Mignola, I'm there!

Be sure to read the essays at the end of the issues. I liked the story fine, but it made me like Scott Snyder even more as a person.

that looks so good but Valiant is super intimidating. i wish i didn't miss that humble bundle :/

Hopefully I can somehow ease you out of that intimidation. Most of the mythos of Valiant has been built from the ground up since the relaunch in 2012. There are some callbacks to the 90s stuff, but it's scant. The Valiant is a great story for jumping on because it provides context for a handful of heroes, and also gives you a glimpse at the larger universe. The kicker is that it's actually an event, yet it's one of the most self-contained and compelling tales I've read from Valiant so far.

From there, you can pretty much pick up any of the solo series without any prior reading if you end up liking it. Most of the series that they started in 2012 have already ended (most of them started with a planned 20-25 issue run), with the exception of X-O Manowar and that's probably the only one I would really recommend starting from the beginning. They launch fresh books every so often to provide readers new jumping-on points, like the recent Ivar, Ninjak, or Imperium ongoings.

That Humble Bundle was pretty swell, but there's really only a handful of stuff in that bundle that I've read and would say is absolutely worthwhile. I wish I hadn't missed it personally because of the classic series, but that's not really necessary to enjoy the new universe.

Reason the industry tears through artists is because comics fans have historically not given a shit about how creators are treated.

You're equating two very different things, mate.They can be (and often are) one and the same, sure, but the reason why the industry tears through artists is mostly related to shit pay and immense workload, not due to the big two trying to fuck people out of their IP's.

You're equating two very different things, mate.They can be (and often are) one and the same, sure, but the reason why the industry tears through artists is mostly related to shit pay and immense workload, not due to the big two trying to fuck people out of their IP's.
I'll try to expand on this later since I gotta go to sleep but I agree with you to a certain point.

I don't misunderstand it, I just don't value it. I don't have to agree with something to say "hey its your money do whatever you want with it, god knows I've spent my share of silly money", which didn't really come across in my comment the other day I admit, but it was a stupid jokey line that you are over analysing way too much.

I'm the guy that blows money on fucking costumes for videogame characters, I have no place criticising anyone for how they spend they money (which tbh I wasn't even doing, not really, it was just a stupid joke)

Alright, I think your comment came off differently than you intended. It happens. I probably took it too literally and here we are.

Anyway, to comics! *takes shot of nyquil*

Rhaknar

You don't value it?

I don't think that it's worth that or that it's a good way to spend money. But that goes for any...non-interactive art let's call it. Or brand clothes. Pants are pants, they don't need to be $500. In my opinion of course. But, like I said, I also don't care if someone does buy those things, which my initial (stupid) comment might have indicated that I did.

Alright, I think your comment came off differently than you intended. It happens. I probably took it too literally and here we are.

Anyway, to comics! *takes shot of nyquil*

It defiantly did not come off as I intended because I didn't intend anything with it, it was just a stupid joke. It came off as "lol what dumbass would do that" when what I think is "I do not agree with that purchase decision sir but you are a free to spend your hard earned money however you so choose like" :p

ReiGun

Randomly came home and read the end of Lemire's Animal Man run after dropping out post Rotworld. Now I'm sad he's not still working on this book. Especially since he left off introducing something pretty major to the canon.

ElNarez

Banned
Hopefully I can somehow ease you out of that intimidation. Most of the mythos of Valiant has been built from the ground up since the relaunch in 2012. There are some callbacks to the 90s stuff, but it's scant. The Valiant is a great story for jumping on because it provides context for a handful of heroes, and also gives you a glimpse at the larger universe. The kicker is that it's actually an event, yet it's one of the most self-contained and compelling tales I've read from Valiant so far.

From there, you can pretty much pick up any of the solo series without any prior reading if you end up liking it. Most of the series that they started in 2012 have already ended (most of them started with a planned 20-25 issue run), with the exception of X-O Manowar and that's probably the only one I would really recommend starting from the beginning. They launch fresh books every so often to provide readers new jumping-on points, like the recent Ivar, Ninjak, or Imperium ongoings.

The most direct spinoff out of The Valiant is Bloodshot Reborn and god damn that's a book that's so good I feel guilty for not reading more of it. It's Lemire at his best, like, Animal Man levels best.

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't think that it's worth that or that it's a good way to spend money. But that goes for any...non-interactive art let's call it. Or brand clothes. Pants are pants, they don't need to be $500. In my opinion of course. But, like I said, I also don't care if someone does buy those things, which my initial (stupid) comment might have indicated that I did.
No no, I get that. I mean, I have the desire to pay a lot of money for art that someone painstakingly made and was impressive but I'm not made of money.
Value is sort of a vague term if one is talking about something specific and without an adjective. Did you mean you do not value it monetarily? Well... no one actually does, unless you're selling a piece of art. Like, if you saw the value of something just for the money that means you're probably planning on selling it in the far off future thinking it will be worth more than what you originally bought it for. That means they care about the money and not the work behind it. But a lot of us here value the art artists put on comic books, not because it's going to be worth something more in the future, but because we value it differently.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I value good pants. Fuck comics.*

*Except Squirrel Girl, 'cause that shit is just delightful.

The most direct spinoff out of The Valiant is Bloodshot Reborn and god damn that's a book that's so good I feel guilty for not reading more of it. It's Lemire at his best, like, Animal Man levels best.

Yeah, the ending of The Valiant made me really want to read Bloodshot, though I haven't touched the original 6 volume run. I may pick up Reborn in trade when it's released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom