• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yo Messi, do you listen to Damien Rice at all?
I should hope the answer is yes. He's part of your heritage m8.

But anyways, his latest album is soooo gooood. As is everything else he's ever done.

Messi

Yo Messi, do you listen to Damien Rice at all?
I should hope the answer is yes. He's part of your heritage m8.

But anyways, his latest album is soooo gooood. As is everything else he's ever done.

I don't listen to music that isn't Britney Spears. No I am not joking.

frye

Is this a metaphor about his sales?

ha, not this time. The eagle/ant metaphor for the relationship between creators and fans was a dumbish Peter David thing. That said creators participating in communities like this don't tend to turn out that well from what I've seen and things like twitter have mostly eliminated that impulse anywaysss

Messi

I lived a sheltered life and Britney came along right as I hit like 10 years old. It reminds me of simpler times tbh.

Savitar

Go get 'em, Messi.

Has Simon Furman written anything that wasn't Transformers in the last, I don't know, 25 years or so?

Terrible isn't it.

Once he was great, beloved by the fandom. Even now still looked at fondly for what he had done, but anything he's done in the last few years, even his Transformers stuff he picked right up was pretty garbage.

Marv is kind of in the same boat, beloved for what has been, but these days out classed or just behind the times. Why this is who can say, mentality, times and attitudes changing, what people enjoy not what once was.

But the fortunes of past swing to others.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Tyrant, you're hilarious.

Also, Coriolanus, be real, that's you on twitter as Ash Watson right now.

Pachimari

I think it have been around 15 years since I last read a Spider-Man comicbook. I remember the whole clone saga and Ben Reilly Spidey from my childhood.

Anyway, if I want back into Spider-Man as well. Which run should I start out with this time and by who?

styl3s

In a drunken hype of those Walking Dead HC's i ended up buying all those mcfarlane lego bootleg sets at wal-mart light night. They are pretty fucking cool.

jqrGSF2.jpg

0D2zMCp.jpg

Haven't started the others but my books arrive today so im hyped to the max. Also, Outcast TV show? Where the hell is my thief of thieves? I feel that shit been in development since the first season of TWD.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Maybe not as extreme as Messi but I'm not a big music person anyway. The vast majority of my music comes from the 90's and the only thing I've added to my collection the last 10 years or so is about 15 Black Keys songs. 90% of the time I'm listening to a podcast instead of music.

TheStig88

Not all that crazy to me either. Didn't listen to basically anything right up until about 16 and then a switch flipped. Ridiculously selective though.

I think it have been around 15 years since I last read a Spider-Man comicbook. I remember the whole clone saga and Ben Reilly Spidey from my childhood.

Anyway, if I want back into Spider-Man as well. Which run should I start out with this time and by who?

Ultimate Spider-Man is the most obvious one. There are also pieces of Slott's ASM (and Superior) that are pretty great. I'm actually not sure how ComicGAF reacted to SSM, but I loved it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
In a drunken hype of those Walking Dead HC's i ended up buying all those mcfarlane lego bootleg sets at wal-mart light night. They are pretty fucking cool.

Haven't started the others but my books arrive today so im hyped to the max. Also, Outcast TV show? Where the hell is my thief of thieves? I feel that shit been in development since the first season of TWD.

Those are really cool, and very creepy.

Also, I used to intern at one of the production companies behind the Outcast show. I'd left before they were done with the first episode but I got to see some of the dailies. It looked good. Lots of creepy stuff with the possession.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I'd probably read all of Ultimate Spider-Man. I re-read it all a couple years back and it's as good as it ever was.

I am subscribed to 62 podcasts. That will do for listening.

I'd imagine. I can't keep up with the 8 I'm subscribed to. At least in the Fall and Spring when Survivor and The Amazing Race are on.

Podcast list time!

-How Did This Get Made?
-My Brother, My Brother & Me
-Lore
-The Giant Beastcast
-The Adventure Zone
-The Black Tapes Podcast

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'd probably read all of Ultimate Spider-Man. I re-read it all a couple years back and it's as good as it ever was.

Podcast list time!

Rob Has Podcast Survivor
Rob Has Poidcast The Amazing Race
The Michigan Insider
Buzzer In My Pants
11 O'Clock Comics
Comedy Bang Bang
ESPN U College Basketball Podcast
CBS Sports College Basketball Podcast

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Ultimate Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man from Brand New Day on.

LaserTime
RoosterTeeth Podcast
Travis Bickle on the Riviera

Infrequently/rarely, but still subbed:

War Rocket Ajax
Cheap Popcast
Cape Crisis
You Must Remember This
Good Job Brain
Nerdist (when there's a good guest on)

Pachimari

Ultimate Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man from Brand New Day on.
So I'll start with Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and the read the whole series. And then I go on to Amazing Spider-Man starting with A Brand New Day.

I'll also get Spider-Gwen #1, cause I'm curious.

I'm actually really interested in why and what Marvel wants to do with new characters like Jane Thor, Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Potta Iron Man etc. Have Marvel made any other new big characters lately?

I am subscribed to 62 podcasts. That will do for listening.

Damn, I thought I had a lot. Where do you get the time, srs?

Podcast list time!

This I can do!

Games:
Giant Bombcast
Giant Beastcast
Polygon presents Quality Control
Kinda Funny Gamescast
The Co-Optional Podcast
The Co-Optional Lounge
The Adventuring Party

Sport/Wrasslin:
Second Captains @ The Irish Times
Team 33
The Guardian's Football Weekly
Talk is Jericho
The Steve Austin Show
The Steve Austin Show Unleashed

Movies:
Kermode & Mayo's Film Review
The Empire Podcast
Tranquil Tirades
Sean Moncrieff's Movies & Booze

News/Current Events:
Freakonomics Radio
NPR's Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!
NPR's Planet Money
RTE Documentary on One
RTE Today with Sean O'Rourke (if I'm working, otherwise listen live on the radio)

Comics:
Comic Vine Podcast
Nerdist's Comic Book Club
The Comic Conspiracy
War Rocket Ajax

History:
BBC's In Our Time with Melvin Bragg
Hardcore History
BBC World Service Documentaries

Stories:
The Thrilling Adventure Hour
Welcome to Night Vale
Lore
Serial

General Nerd/Tech Stuff:
This is Only a Test
The Nerdist
Wired's Geek Guide to the Galaxy
Vergecast
The Geek Box
Stuff You Should Know
TED Radio Hour

Other:
RTE 2FM's Chris & Ciara

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Also you should give Mark Millers Marvel Knights: Spider-Man a try.
I just love his run.

Have you ever read Matt Kindt and Marco Rudy's MK: Spider-Man run? It's really fucking awesome.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So I'll start with Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and the read the whole series. And then I go on to Amazing Spider-Man starting with A Brand New Day.

I'll also get Spider-Gwen #1, cause I'm curious.

I'm actually really interested in why and what Marvel wants to do with new characters like Jane Thor, Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, Potta Iron Man etc. Have Marvel made any other new big characters lately?

USM is a really long book, FYI. 100+ issues.

As far as new characters: Kamala Khan is the only one you need to know about and she'll be returning in a new book by her original author & artists. It will likely be every bit as amazing as her current god-tier book.

So this question is going to seem like a dumb one, but it's real. For the longest time I've only read Marvel comics on Marvel Unlimited, which means aside from the time commitment there's no real reason NOT to just read every comic that comes out. I like that, since it allows me to keep up on every hero and team, and I feel like I'm getting an all-encompassing view of the Marvel Universe.

Now that I'm trying to get into DC more, the equivalent would cost me thousands of dollars if I were to buy every comic I'm even passively interested in. How do people decide which books to pick up, and do you ever feel like you're "missing" something from the universe. Like I could just pick up Batman since I like that hero a lot, but starting from the New 52 launch (which is where I'd be starting) there's like 10 Batman and Batfamily books. But the financial commitment for all those books is enormous.

So my actual legitimate question is: how do you guys decide what to commit to financially, and do you ever feel like you're missing something from the DCU if you're not reading all of it?

Pachimari

Be careful, it is a perilous journey.

Also you should give Mark Millers Marvel Knights: Spider-Man a try.
I just love his run.

Have you ever read Matt Kindt and Marco Rudy's MK: Spider-Man run? It's really fucking awesome.

USM is a really long book, FYI. 100+ issues.

As far as new characters: Kamala Khan is the only one you need to know about and she'll be returning in a new book by her original author & artists. It will likely be every bit as amazing as her current god-tier book.
Phew, I gotta make a list. So much information and suggestions to take in. Very nice.

Right now I'm really into The Immortal Iron Fist, Alias and Frank Miller's Daredevil, which I'll read first. And then I'll read:

Ultimate Spider-Man (+100 issues wow!)
Marvel Knights: Spider-Man by Frank Miller
-||- by Marco Rudy

I'll probably mix my Spidey up with other comics.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So my actual legitimate question is: how do you guys decide what to commit to financially, and do you ever feel like you're missing something from the DCU if you're not reading all of it?

I wait for sales for the most part. Or if I only hear great things about a book (like for Grayson) then I'll get on it in the middle. It is tricky. They'd kill with a MU equivalent.

So this question is going to seem like a dumb one, but it's real. For the longest time I've only read Marvel comics on Marvel Unlimited, which means aside from the time commitment there's no real reason NOT to just read every comic that comes out. I like that, since it allows me to keep up on every hero and team, and I feel like I'm getting an all-encompassing view of the Marvel Universe.

Now that I'm trying to get into DC more, the equivalent would cost me thousands of dollars if I were to buy every comic I'm even passively interested in. How do people decide which books to pick up, and do you ever feel like you're "missing" something from the universe. Like I could just pick up Batman since I like that hero a lot, but starting from the New 52 launch (which is where I'd be starting) there's like 10 Batman and Batfamily books. But the financial commitment for all those books is enormous.

Honestly you have to do one of two things; Commit to characters or commit to creative teams. The first is the easiest to do. You like Batman and Superman? Great, buy books that are in those family of titles. Can't get them all? Narrow it down by concept; maybe you like Superman but you don't like any of his extended family like Superboy or Supergirl, so you avoid those. Check out reviews and see which books tend to get higher ratings in general. On the other end, as you get more knowledgeable about comic creative teams, you'll know that X Writer or Y Artist does it for you so you can check out those runs, assured you're probably going to do alright.

For most people you can't get everything so you just cull, adjust, tweak your lists until you're overall happy with it. Maybe you learn a few issues down the line that a book is REALLY good and you just have to get it so you make it happen somehow.

If you don't want to do single issues then trades will of course save you more money in the long run. Same as above, just do your research, ask people for suggestions (and give some ideas of what you like) and pick up some of what are considered the must read collections of characters.

arkon

Super best friendcast
Uhh Yeah Dude
Mega64
Football Weekly
Football Ramble
WTF
Comic Books Are Burning In Hell
War Rocket Ajax (depending on guests)
Legion of substitute podcasters

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its still on my shelf. Seems like a book you need to be concentrated for and I have big problems with my concentration over the last three months. I often cant even watch a movie or read a couple of pages on a real book.
I dont want to waste it since it seems very ambigious.

Calcium

Banned

I prioritize by reading reviews on CBR and reading impressions here. If a book I'm interested in isn't well received I can just pass on it or hold off until I've run out of quality books to buy. I generally always have around ten books that I want to get and I just wait for the right time.

As far as missing something that's just bound to happen. It is the writers job to make sure even new readers know what is happening, so if the book is good I assume that is handled. Sometimes when reading events I'm a little lost, but a quick google search can resolve that. I'd rather have to look stuff up then be in the mindset that I have to buy everything to stay in the know.

hell yea. it might be my favorite podcast in terms of consistency

I agree, but I love almost everything RT does so I am a bit biased.

Other than asking here, I google X characters best stories and see the results. I also use the DC Wikia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom