• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught up on the books that arrived last week while I was on holiday.

Secret Wars #4 - Wow, didn't expect Doom to
off Strange especially after they seemed like BFFs in the last couple of issues.
I had a feeling when I turned that last page that it
wouldn't end well for Stephen.
Halfway through and I've really enjoyed SW so far. Don't stay away too long Hickman!

Darth Vader #7 - BOSSK! Love how Gillen is introducing such a large supporting cast. It'll be interesting to see what Vader has planned for Aphra. Definitely still the best Star Wars series.

Leia #5 - A good ending to what has been my least favourite Marvel Star Wars comic. I'm not really sure why but it just didn't click with me. I liked the idea of Leia trying to reunite the Alderaanian people and Evaan was good, hopefully she turns up again.

I wait for sales for the most part. Or if I only hear great things about a book (like for Grayson) then I'll get on it in the middle. It is tricky. They'd kill with a MU equivalent.

Honestly you have to do one of two things; Commit to characters or commit to creative teams. The first is the easiest to do. You like Batman and Superman? Great, buy books that are in those family of titles. Can't get them all? Narrow it down by concept; maybe you like Superman but you don't like any of his extended family like Superboy or Supergirl, so you avoid those. Check out reviews and see which books tend to get higher ratings in general. On the other end, as you get more knowledgeable about comic creative teams, you'll know that X Writer or Y Artist does it for you so you can check out those runs, assured you're probably going to do alright.

For most people you can't get everything so you just cull, adjust, tweak your lists until you're overall happy with it. Maybe you learn a few issues down the line that a book is REALLY good and you just have to get it so you make it happen somehow.

If you don't want to do single issues then trades will of course save you more money in the long run. Same as above, just do your research, ask people for suggestions (and give some ideas of what you like) and pick up some of what are considered the must read collections of characters.

I prioritize by reading reviews on CBR and reading impressions here. If a book I'm interested in isn't well received I can just pass on it or hold off until I've run out of quality books to buy. I generally always have around ten books that I want to get and I just wait for the right time.

As far as missing something that's just bound to happen. It is the writers job to make sure even new readers know what is happening, so if the book is good I assume that is handled. Sometimes when reading events I'm a little lost, but a quick google search can resolve that. I'd rather have to look stuff up then be in the mindset that I have to buy everything to stay in the know.

Other than asking here, I google X characters best stories and see the results. I also use the DC Wikia.

Thanks for the advice, peeps. So I guess now the question is: what were the best books coming out on the New 52 launch?

1. I borrow stuff.
2. Bahahahah missing dcu stuff? Sturgeon's law, mate.

Sure, but when you get used to reading comics as a holistic thing from MU, it's kind of a hard habit to break

Savitar

Secret Wars #4 - Wow, didn't expect Doom to
off Strange especially after they seemed like BFFs in the last couple of issues.
I had a feeling when I turned that last page that it
wouldn't end well for Stephen.
Halfway through and I've really enjoyed SW so far. Don't stay away too long Hickman!

Been wondering if this is the first time Stephen has been blasted, he said he had eyes all over. Maybe they are to tell him what's happened every time he pissed off Doom and was remade.

Calcium

Banned
Thanks for the advice, peeps. So I guess now the question is: what were the best books coming out on the New 52 launch?

The Snyder/Capullo Batman run is probably the best thing. Other than that I enjoyed Swamp Thing and most of Geoff Johns New 52 books were good.

Bii

Pls tell Sejic how much I love him. Hopefully he puts all those prints online :(

His sketches from that store signing are so good. I'd do anything. ANYTHING.

I'm gonna try to hit up Sejic for a commission. Top Cow is actually selling a package of sorts and it's only $50. Sounds like a deal to me. Think I might get a Harley Quinn from him. :p

i have like... 8 artists targeted lmao

I would have aimed for more if I had more than two days there. :(

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This mini had hardly any presence here at all when it was coming out, I thought I dreamed all that Marco Rudy art.

Great series.

Yeah, it didn't get talked about much outside of a few of us, but it's a really unique mini-series that introduced me to Marco Rudy's fucking phenomenal art:
3487472-marvel-knights-spider-man-03-(of-5)-(2014)-(digital)-(nahga-empire)-08.jpg

Spiderman-99Problems-issue02-Finished-06-07-021f4.jpg

marvel-knights-spider-man-1-of-5-2017-comic-book-review-panel.jpg

tim1138

A couple of underrepresented gems:

Animal Man (read issues 1-11, 0, 20-23, Annual 2, 24-29 or volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5 in trade)
Frankenstein Agent of SHADE

Since you mentioned Batman, I'd suggest:

Batman (#1+)
Batman and Robin (#1+)
Grayson (#1+)
Batgirl (#1+ or #35+)
Green Arrow (Volumes 4-6, then #41+)

Alot of the #41s or #1s of last month are good jumping on points such as Action Comics/Superman for the new take on the character. Action Comics has been consistently good to great since #1, while Superman itself has been up and down (mostly down during the Lobdell stuff).

I'm gonna try to hit up Sejic for a commission. Top Cow is actually selling a package of sorts and it's only $50. Sounds like a deal to me. Think I might get a Harley Quinn from him. :p

Whoa, only $50? I'm gonna def grab one then

8's just a rough estimate of how many i think i'm gonna get sketches from, I haven't even budgeted or anything yet

Since you mentioned Batman, I'd suggest:

Batman (#1+)
Batman and Robin (#1+)
Grayson (#1+)
Batgirl (#1+ or #35+)
Green Arrow (Volumes 4-6, then #41+)

Alot of the #41s or #1s of last month are good jumping on points such as Action Comics/Superman for the new take on the character. Action Comics has been consistently good to great since #1, while Superman itself has been up and down (mostly down during the Lobdell stuff).

I've sort of already mentally decided that I'll just start at the New 52 launch, since I enjoy picking up TPBs instead of single issues

How's Batman: The Dark Knight and Detective Comics from that time?

Thanks for the suggestions btw

Messi

Pls stop twisting the knife :(

Bii

Whoa, only $50? I'm gonna def grab one then

8's just a rough estimate of how many i think i'm gonna get sketches from, I haven't even budgeted or anything yet

Stejpan Sejic Sketch Package - $50:
The one and only Croatian Sensation is back in the States for the first time in 3 years, and who knows when he'll be back! Better get in while the gettin's good, Top Cow fans, because with this package you're going to get -
-Sketch Ticket, good for one original sketch -Ravine vol. 1&2 OR Sunstone vol. 1&2

More info such as sketch times and how many sold each day listed here: http://topcow.com/moos/43-latest-moos/912-san-diego-comic-con-2015

I plan on hitting Top Cow's booth on Thursday as my second destination once the exhibit floor opens.

Messi

The one and only Croatian Sensation is back in the States for the first time in 3 years, and who knows when he'll be back! Better get in while the gettin's good, Top Cow fans, because with this package you're going to get -
-Sketch Ticket, good for one original sketch -Ravine vol. 1&2 OR Sunstone vol. 1&2

More info such as sketch times and how many sold each day listed here: http://topcow.com/moos/43-latest-moos/912-san-diego-comic-con-2015

I plan on hitting Top Cow's booth on Thursday as my second destination once the exhibit floor opens.

In a heartbeat :(

TheStig88

Oh man, first time in three years? Maybe it won't be smooth sailing for next year. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
found the rest of my loosies, good lord. Im pretty sure I was buying every Marvel, DW, Top Cow, whatever you can think of besides DC (although I did buy some Vertigo) monthly. I really went off the deep end. Especially with all the DW and Top Cow stuff. Basically if it had a manga-esque looking cover I got it I guess >_>

anyway found my missing 3 Alias issues, the rest of Punisher volume 2 (up to #37) and some missing Punisher Max issues. I only have Punisher Max up to #14 and since that was around 2004ish, Im going to go ahead and assume Im not missing any more loosies, thats just when I went cold turkey and stopped collecting alltogether, the timing fits.

I really need to organize all this shit one of these days, but not today.

edit: aparently Top Cow not only had a Battle of the Planets comic, but it actually crossed over with Witchblade lol

Bii

In a heartbeat :(

The fact that I had planned on buying Sunstone in the near future makes the deal even better. Plus he can sign the trades in person. I just hope they're not sold out by the time I get to the booth.

Oh man, first time in three years? Maybe it won't be smooth sailing for next year. :(

Especially at the bigger cons, I have noticed that there's been an increase in fans wanting original sketches and it's been a bit difficult to get everyone you want. I actually have to plan out my schedule and prioritize who I want to get just to increase my chances of getting a commission. Otherwise the artists get booked for the whole day within the first 10 minutes they're available. :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
stuff I aparently own and never read, and isnt on MU (because its not Marvel >_>)

Authority
Planetary
something called Filth
The Invisibles like I said yesterday
some Warren Ellis joint called Global Frequency

not sure if its all of those runs or not, Im going to have to see what I own and how long they ran. I never finished Transmetropolitan either which makes me sad, but I found a couple of loose issues, 59 and 60 which I think are the last so I should own the whole run

yesssssssssssss

Rhaknar

my latest comic scavange only reminds me how awful it is to store comics. At least single issues. If I was buying comics these days I would definately trade wait, and least those you can put on a shelf like books :/

I've sort of already mentally decided that I'll just start at the New 52 launch, since I enjoy picking up TPBs instead of single issues

You could also consider Batwoman: Elegy from the pre-N52 which runs directly into the start of the N52 Batwoman run. Two things about that, though.

First, the Batwoman stories are pretty much entirely self-contained and it shouldn't be considered a Batfamily book, so if you're looking for something that ties into the broader Batfamily world during N52 this isn't what you want.

Second, if you do this then understand you'll need to stop either after the third N52 trade (Pretend it's the ending of a movie that never gets a sequel) or after the forth (Pretend the DC offices got hit by a meteor and obliterated completely in the middle of things, since the plot is entirely dropped when the creative team changes after #24). Anything after that (post #24) really isn't worth reading and mostly exists to make people mad.

Pachimari

I see MAX and Vertigo are publishers. Are they subsidiaries of Marvel and DC?

Are they different companies with a connection of are they actually part of Marvel and DC, focusing on the darker stuff?

my latest comic scavange only reminds me how awful it is to store comics. At least single issues. If I was buying comics these days I would definately trade wait, and least those you can put on a shelf like books :/

Grats on helping to kill the industry. You're pulling food straight out of the mouths of creators. And it's a sbarro slice covered in ranch sauce.

Rhaknar

Grats on helping to kill the industry.

I said IF I was buying comics, Im not even buying them these days so im extra killing it. But I paid my dues for years so that shit dont work on me. I was "saving the industry" for 15 years of my life, as my many thousands of comics prove

im jelly of those pictures full of trades and hardcovers on shelves tho, I would trade all my loose shit for those in a heartbeat

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Holy CRAP this thread moves fast.

A couple of underrepresented gems:

Animal Man (read issues 1-11, 0, 20-23, Annual 2, 24-29 or volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5 in trade)
Frankenstein Agent of SHADE
I've heard great things about Morrison's old Animal Man and Doom Patrol. If I'm not necessarily into straight-up superhero stories would they still be must read?

And comixology just got a new French label Delcourt, anyone know if they have some good series?

The Dark Knight and Detective Comics are filler Batman stories. They deal with more of Batman's traditional villains. Of the two I'd recommend Detective Comics. It's quality remained more consistent.

In the Superman family I'd recommend Action Comics and Supergirl. Action Comics can get a little bizarre in the beginning because it's Morrison, but it's still Morrison and thus pretty good. It gets better later on, too, imo. Supergirl kind of meandered a little bit after the first few trades but it's still one of the better Super-family titles imo. Superman had great art for most of the run but got saddled with Lobdell who is just sort of boring most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom