• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I've heard great things about Morrison's old Animal Man and Doom Patrol. If I'm not necessarily into straight-up superhero stories would they still be must read?

ABSOLUTELY yes. If you don't like straight-up superhero stories, those two Morrison runs were made for you. I'm the same way, not really into standard superhero stuff, but I absolutely love those two runs. Doom Patrol in particular is one of my top 3 favorite runs of all time. Just incredible.

I said IF I was buying comics, Im not even buying them these days so im extra killing it. But I paid my dues for years so that shit dont work on me. I was "saving the industry" for 15 years of my life, as my many thousands of comics prove
So you're saying that you did it before it was cool, eh?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So you're saying that you did it before it was cool, eh?

what? when was buying comics ever cool :eek:

edit: somehow I lost one of my Preacher trades (but I knew that long before I did my recent scavange unfortunately), at least its the 4th one which only has the side story books. If I was going to lose one of them at least its that one >_>

tim1138

Holy CRAP this thread moves fast.

I've heard great things about Morrison's old Animal Man and Doom Patrol. If I'm not necessarily into straight-up superhero stories would they still be must read?

And comixology just got a new French label Delcourt, anyone know if they have some good series?

You're in luck, because neither of Morrison's Animal Man or Doom Patrol are straight up superhero stories! Both are absolute must reads.

Savitar

Whats thing with the beaver?

Harley can come to Canada.

09e29-the-majestic-canadian-beaver-riding-a-goose-while-wearing-a-maple-leaf-bikini.jpg

We keep it real.

tim1138

stuff I aparently own and never read, and isnt on MU (because its not Marvel >_>)

Authority
Planetary
something called Filth
The Invisibles like I said yesterday
some Warren Ellis joint called Global Frequency

not sure if its all of those runs or not, Im going to have to see what I own and how long they ran. I never finished Transmetropolitan either which makes me sad, but I found a couple of loose issues, 59 and 60 which I think are the last so I should own the whole run

You own these and have never read them?
Rhaknar please

<Gameproff avatar quote>

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how did Warren Ellis of all people manage to pump out SIXTY issues of Transmetropolitan? The guy barely manages to do 6 issues of something these days

stuff I aparently own and never read, and isnt on MU (because its not Marvel >_>)

Authority
Planetary
something called Filth
The Invisibles like I said yesterday
some Warren Ellis joint called Global Frequency

not sure if its all of those runs or not, Im going to have to see what I own and how long they ran. I never finished Transmetropolitan either which makes me sad, but I found a couple of loose issues, 59 and 60 which I think are the last so I should own the whole run

Top tier backlog. You should get on that.

Rhaknar

are these full (well...full up to when I stopped) runs of Spawn, Witchblade, Darkness, Savage Dragon etc even worth anything?

not that I would have anyware to sell them here in Portugal nor am I interested in ebaying (the packaging alone would be nightmare), but im curious. Is there even a market for old comics?

are these full (well...full up to when I stopped) runs of Spawn, Witchblade, Darkness, Savage Dragon etc even worth anything?

not that I would have anyware to sell them here in Portugal nor am I interested in ebaying (the packaging alone would be nightmare), but im curious. Is there even a market for old comics?

There are collectors and whatnot, but on the whole, comics really aren't something you get into for the money. I mean, last I checked, a Spawn #1 was only worth like, $12 or some shit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Depends on what you are selling, I guess.
On most books I bid on I dont really have competition, but when it comes to pricier books, it can be quiete expensiv.

Rhaknar

There are collectors and whatnot, but on the whole, comics really aren't something you get into for the money. I mean, last I checked, a Spawn #1 was only worth like, $12 or some shit.

thats what I thought. They arent even mint or anything (I mean they are fine but not bagged etc). Man I loved that shit when I was younger, I was big on Image (it was still image back then right?), maybe even more so than Marvel for a time.

Pretty sure none of them would hold up, maybe Savage Dragon because it was always less serious / grimdark

Depends on what you are selling, I guess.
On most books I bid on I dont really have competition, but when it comes to pricier books, it can be quiete expensiv.

you just reminded me most of this Witchblade, Spawn and shit was bought in bulk from my "dealer" (I had no comic stores so I had to resort to a "guy on the internet"), not when they actually came out. I was really trying to get the full collections, I remember Spawn was the hardest ones to find

edit: Wildcats, Strikeforce, Gen 13...dat 90s Image :D

tim1138

how did Warren Ellis of all people manage to pump out SIXTY issues of Transmetropolitan? The guy barely manages to do 6 issues of something these days

Because he has no desire to do more than six issues on work for hire cape comics? Not really that hard to understand at all

Rhaknar

Planetary only finished in 2009 aparently, after a long hiatus (its only 27 issues long), so I definately dont own all of it :/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is Ultimate Comics Spider-Man worth reading though?

I think I like the art style of what I can see in the preview pages on comiXology.
I hate Lafuntes art. Far far inferior to the stuff that Bagley did.
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is also for me the point where the Peter Part of USM became shitty. Death of... is good again.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Is Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man his first own series? And is this the one were he have his first appearance?

It went:

Ultimate Spider-Man: 1-133
Ultimatum Spider-Man Requiem
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-15, 150-160
Ultimate Fallout 1-6, with introduction of Miles
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 2 1-28. 200 (Miles is Spider-Man)
Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man. 1-12

and Miles was also a part of All-New X-Men 31-36, which was good, and All-New Ultimates, which was not (or the art was so bad that I couldn't even tell if the writing was good).

Remember when Ultimate was supposed to be the easy universe?

Alright, I think I'm just gonna read through Ultimate Spider-Man first then. 150+ issues PHEW. I hope it's worth it.

It's all part of the same story. They changed the title a bunch of times, I think it went USM Vol 1 > USM vol 2 > UC:SM > MM:USM. It's all worth reading. Personally, I thought all the Miles Morales stuff was great whereas USM vol 2 started losing steam before the end.

Rhaknar

who was our resident Spider Jerusalem fan again?

Pachimari

I have no idea if Ultimate were supposed to be the easy Universe, but man does it seem hard to follow characters and such, jumping from one series to another. That is what I am scared of while coming back to comics.

Pachimari

Hmm, very interesting. I'm gonna buy Ultimate Spider-Man issue #1 and see how it goes.

I also remember they introduced a middle easter n Spidey, but have forgotten the name. That seemed like an interesting concept?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea if Ultimate were supposed to be the easy Universe, but man does it seem hard to follow characters and such, jumping from one series to another. That is what I am scared of while coming back to comics.

The general rule is that the only things to care about are Ultimate Spider-man and Hickman's stuff. Everything else is secondary.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That doesn't mean the magazine is instantly going to go from what it is to something amazing.

No, but it means that my interest in it goes from "Nothing" to "Yo I'm Interested"

I'm willing to plunk down 20 bones for a years worth of potential magic and mayhem from Morrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom