• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FHeZtgI.png

giphy.gif

Some of this was posted earlier in regards to page rates and how little people in comics make, but Comics Beat did a nice write up on this issue and included comments from a podcast Sean Murphy was on. Well worth a (depressing) read if you missed it initially.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/sean-murp...oblems-getting-back-punk-rock-jesus-and-more/

That bit about the kind of "negotiations" they use on artists is disgusting.

That's the kind of stuff that scares away up and coming artists.

Usagi Yojimbo: Inazuma is such a badass.

how did Warren Ellis of all people manage to pump out SIXTY issues of Transmetropolitan? The guy barely manages to do 6 issues of something these days

That is one of the things I love about Ellis' work. Never overstays its welcome. It feels like he has what he wants to say mapped out right at the start, and then he stops.

Hell yes.
Who's gonna spot me $3000 for the set of colored Lord of Light prints?

http://shop.heavymetal.com/shm/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=5804

Holy shit. Is this based on Zelazny's Lord of Light? That is one of my favourite sci-fi books ever. At a minimum, I am going to get Heavy Metal 276. I might even get one of the prints. They look gorgeous.

http://comicsalliance.com/argo-jack-kirby-lord-of-light-art/

The Valiant finished. Technically good, very nice art and decent writing, but... ahm...

listen, i'm all for in media res and bloodshot was consistently hilarious, but i've no idea who any of those people were. Was basically a tale about The Worst Immortal Bodyguard Ever finding a way to cheat at some global game. As an introduction to the valiant universe, can't say that it worked.

Where should one go from here?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm a big fan of Ellis and have never read his best work :(

I'm dreaming of deluxe HC's

Hmm... Who am I thinking of then...

Regardless, I'm waiting on deluxe HCs too. Or just thicker TPBs. The two options available right now for Transmet collections are pretty lame.

Kipp

Uhhhh, you are thinking of SpiderJerusalem, who can hold a conversation only using Transmet panels.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=358

Also Kipp pls, take off your Kipp-tinted glasses. The Absolute edition is gorgeous.

D'oh. Yeah, that's exactly who I was thinking of. Not sure why I was thinking BuddyJoe. Haha

And see, my only issue with the Absolute edition is that
1) I've never read it and don't know if I'll love it enough to justify the price. If I'd read it before and knew I loved it, it'd be worth the price for me probably, but yeah. And
2) How many of them are there going to be? 4? 5? I can't remember. However many it is though, that's really gonna add up.

How is Snyder's Batman right now, guys?

What, like, right now, now?

It's pretty good. 41 does some solid setup work, character introductions, that sort of thing. It also tells a fairly entertaining story in and of itself, which is nice. Curious to see how long the new status quo lasts, I suspect Snyder's only really intending for it to stick around for the one arc.

I'll ask him to join when I go get Wolf signed at the end of the month.

How is Snyder's Batman right now, guys?

Best cape comic being written.

Well, DotF was a giant tease.
I mean, I was all like "Hahahaha, Alfred is getting dismembered!" only to find out nothing happened
. Endgame was more what I was hoping for when they were hyping DotF.

Endgame wouldn't have worked without the setup in DotF and Zero Year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Excited to
re
read Transmetropolitan, I never finished it and it was so long ago I barely remember what I did read ad it is

But for now, MU update has Ant Man #1 woot. Also Avengers #40 which I remember you guys all freaking about :)

Rotating between Rasputin vol 1, Rumble vol 1, Frank Miller Daredevil and Hellboy vol 1 today. Comic book bliss. Second volumes of Southern Bastards and Velvet on deck.

Dark Disciple came out today, well Wal-Mart had it today. They might have put it out early.

Star Wars novels don't sell as well as they used to, so most of them aren't street-dated anymore. My local Barnes & Noble had it today as well, but I'm waiting for the digital version, and those still don't go up for sale until the actual release day.

Endgame wouldn't have worked without the setup in DotF and Zero Year.

oh, I understand that, I'm just saying that Endgame was far superior.

tim1138

D'oh. Yeah, that's exactly who I was thinking of. Not sure why I was thinking BuddyJoe. Haha

And see, my only issue with the Absolute edition is that
1) I've never read it and don't know if I'll love it enough to justify the price. If I'd read it before and knew I loved it, it'd be worth the price for me probably, but yeah. And
2) How many of them are there going to be? 4? 5? I can't remember. However many it is though, that's really gonna add up.

It'll probably be three volumes

The Valiant finished. Technically good, very nice art and decent writing, but... ahm...

listen, i'm all for in media res and bloodshot was consistently hilarious, but i've no idea who any of those people were. Was basically a tale about The Worst Immortal Bodyguard Ever finding a way to cheat at some global game. As an introduction to the valiant universe, can't say that it worked.

I'd start from the beginning. XO #1.

Ack, now I feel I messed up, cuz the story in AC was weak as shit. AK is on the same path so far. Oh well.

Origins has the best story, best boss fights, the Batman and Joker VAs are fantastic substitutes, and the campaign just had a better flow to it. My main gripes with Origins are that their gameplay ideas weren't great and don't flow well with the gameplay I'm used to, and the bugs which were mostly fixed after a point. Otherwise, barring the fact you'll get burned on playing so many of these games, it's worth the time.

Kipp

It'll probably be three volumes

Ah okay. That's not terrible, I guess. $180 (if you buy all of them release week on IST) for a 60 issue run in Absolute Editions.
I'd still prefer some nice thick TPBs like the Preacher TPBs though. Talk about good value.

Well, here's the thing. I pretty much went into the book barely knowing who Blooshot was from tie-ins and only heard Eternal Warrior mentioned a few times. Geomancer was a completely fresh character to me. I didn't read any lead-up to it, either. I enjoyed the hell out of this book personally with little context. I had basically only read about those characters in the background that show up for a few panels.

That said, it's good in introducing a handful of characters, but Eternal Warrior is kind of boring, Armstrong and Ninjak only get a bit of facetime, and the rest of the heroes barely get mentions. However, even though it's described as an event book, it's focused on three main characters: Geomancer, Bloodshot, and Eternal Warrior. This was basically a Geomancer story throughout, though, as it was the only time she's gotten the spotlight in any story. The only series that would directly spin off or tie in to this are Eternal Warrior and Bloodshot: Reborn.

However, the main things to take away are: the book itself and the universe that's been built. Despite not having context, I think the intent is that the book raises interest in those background characters.

As for where to start, the direct sequel to this would be Bloodshot: Reborn which just started a few months ago. I don't know much about that series personally but I'm very interested considering how The Valiant ends.

X-O Manowar is what I would consider their flagship series. It follows a Superman equivalent with a completely different context, space stuff, bloodshed, Visigoths. It's a very good book overall, despite tying into a bunch of events. It eventually leads into the Unity team book, but as a solo series X-O is really top-tier.

Harbinger is perhaps my favorite solo book, at least of the starting batch. You'll get glimpses at other things going on in the universe, but the main story is where it's at. It's strange cross between X-Men and Teen Titans, but the stakes are just huge and it's all one long story until the end of the series. The story doesn't fully resolve by the end, but I'm not sure how they continued it in Imperium. There's a definite stopping point at the end of it, though.

Way out of left field, Ivar, Timewalker is definitely their best ongoing that they've launched recently. The art is pretty good, but what really stands out is the humor and the timetravel shenanigans. It doesn't tie back much into what's going on in the universe, but it's an incredible book on its own.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ant Man #1 was cute. So I guess goody 2 shoes Axis Doom resurrected Cassie's but as a younger Cassie's who was never a young avenger? Or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom