• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Yeah, I've only just started recently. Finished the Son of Batman trade the other day. Planning on picking up Batman RIP next. I think I remember reading Final Crisis is the next book to read.

Google the reading order, the trades are not very well ordered for Morrison's run in general.

Mindwipe

So, is there a consensus on the best tablet for comics, or should I just gun for the one that tickles my fancy most?

Depends too much on your requirements.

7inches/10inches is a religious split on it's own depending on how much you'll cart it round with you on the move.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
it's the only book i've ever trade waited for and the only book i ever will.

i'm also not buying "trades" really, just CMX collections

Mmhmm. Sure. You'll get a taste of tradewaiting and you'll start slippin.

don't forget to get robocop v terminator for like 4 bucks

Oh shoot. I still need to get this. Except the hardcover, not digital. Not really sure how much Kabuki and Half-Century War are going to be, but if they don't add up to $50 I'll get that hardcover too.

You're buying comics? iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Oh, I will post the receipts.

Yeah, this is pre-Poodlestrike continuity here

Hahaha.
See this is why new #1s are good. ComicsGAF is not new-reader friendly. We need a reboot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nonetheless, as ULTIMATES #1 opens, Ewing makes it clear where all eyes will be looking:

“The focus is where it should be: on the Devourer of Worlds!”

cant wait for Panther and Galactus interactions

Zombine

Banned
Ship Girl will forever be a part of our continuity. Civil War never happened. It was replaced by Freeza Spamming Gate. Messi is no longer king.

I miss hentai guy. He had potential.

So, is there a consensus on the best tablet for comics, or should I just gun for the one that tickles my fancy most?

i have a mini retina and it's brilliant. i suppose a reg ipad with retina would be even better, but mini horizontal at fixed width is basically the size of an oversized HC

Kipp

Ship Girl will forever be a part of our continuity. Civil War never happened. It was replaced by Freeza Spamming Gate. Messi is no longer king.

I miss hentai guy. He had potential.

Hentai guy is like the Uncle Ben of our canon. Forever dead... Just a memory...
We need an elseworld story where he lives and can show his true potential.

Anime and ship girls will be on Earth-2.

Then we blow up Earth-2.

Hahaha

Kipp

And then there was Jed, who I am 100% has an alt and is actually back here posting.

Oh shoot. I almost forgot about him. Did he get banned or did he just stop posting? I kind of miss that guy.

But no, no way he has an alt. If he did, we'd have a massive fight breaking out every time Morrison's name was mentioned.

Zombine

Banned
Oh shoot. I almost forgot about him. Did he get banned or did he just stop posting? I kind of miss that guy.

But no, no way he has an alt. If he did, we'd have a massive fight breaking out every time Morrison's name was mentioned.

Jed got banned because he tried to argue that the KKK weren't bad people. Lol it was the most fucking awkward shit I've ever read.

Wow first I'm hearing about this Archie relaunch with Waid and Fiona Staples. That's gotta be out of this world.

I'm really looking forward to this. Can't believe I dig so much of Archie's recent books.

Pretty sure he was permabanned.

I know this isn't technically comics, but holy shit guys, D.Gray-man is coming back from hiatus. Time to pick up some 3-in-1s and reread it.

headshot95

Neo Member
Finished All-Star Superman last night. I bought it awhile ago because I like Morrison's writing style and thought that it would lead to me enjoying the story, but I'm not sure it worked. I mean, I liked the story and the art was cool, especially the coloring, but it just didn't really stick with me. It doesn't help that I don't really know any of the Superman lore and only have a passing interest in the character as a whole. Idk, it was good, not great. Probably the only Superman comic I will read though.

Anyways, moving on to the last deluxe hardcover of Y: The Last man.

Kipp

Lol

Also, HELL YES. My neighbor just texted me asking me what night this week would work to have a meeting with the other owners of the frozen yogurt place. I need this so badly.

Strange Fruit tomorrow.

Mark Waid and JG Jones

MBmqs9n.jpg
What's to Love: Two of the industry's most respected and prolific creators come together for the first time in a deeply personal passion project. J.G. Jones (52, Wanted, Y: The Last Man) and Mark Waid (Irredeemable, Superman: Birthright, Kingdom Come) take on a powerful, beautifully painted story set during the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. Strange Fruit is a challenging, provocative examination of the heroic myth confronting the themes of racism, cultural legacy, and human nature through a literary lens, John Steinbeck's classic novel, Of Mice and Men.

What It Is: It's 1927 in the town of Chatterlee, Mississippi, drowned by heavy rains. The Mississippi River is rising, threatening to break open not only the levees, but also the racial and social divisions of this former plantation town. A fiery messenger from the skies heralds the appearance of a being, one that will rip open the tensions in Chatterlee. Savior, or threat? It depends on where you stand. All the while, the waters are still rapidly rising...

Kipp

Don't forget that Jason Aaron, a white dude, wrote the absolutely brilliant Scalped which focused on impoverished Native Americans.
I'd say this is one of those cases where you guys should reserve your judgement until at least one person here gives it a read.

Pachimari

Just bought Gotham Academy #1. I have been looking for some school stuff with mysteries ala Harry Potter. Hopefully this is along those lines.

Have anybody read Ninjak? Is it any good?

Just bought Gotham Academy #1. I have been looking for some school stuff with mysteries ala Harry Potter. Hopefully this is along those lines.

Have anybody read Ninjak? Is it any good?

In lieu of praise from myself because I haven't read Ninjak, yet I know Kindt has been killing it at Valiant, I offer up a Serpentine quote.

Serpentine said:
Ninjak continues to be mad decent. "Bruce Wayne if he became a ninja" is good enough of a sell for me that I'd probably buy it even if Clay Mann wasn't drawing them, but he is so I'll keep on. It's got a lot of origin flashbacks (#4 was all villain origins to give Mann a breather) but they're all cool and inventive.

yeah but has Mark Waid ever done a serious-topic book

Waid wrote an arc in Amazing Spider-man involving Electro and the financial crisis that got me to stop reading the book.
It was embarrassingly ham fisted in the way it tried to address the politics.

My worry with Strange Fruit is Waid takes that same heavy handed approach when it comes to race. Because "Black Superman" just isn't going to cut it, there needs to be nuanc. Should Waid get the benefit of the doubt? Sure, but this looks like it could turn into the "Amistad" of comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom