• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh a Portuguese artist at Marvel (dude's doing Spider Verse #3), thats cool

Dude kept it all in iambic pentameter, all while fusing colloquialisms and modernized language successfully. It's so damn impressive even before you factor in the actual art.

Well that sounds like something I need to track down

Doesn't appear to be on comixology, unfortunately

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hmmmm, Prince of Cats is on kindle, though. Anybody have experience reading comics with kindle?

Actually, yes. Haha. Basically the first comic I ever read was Batman Year One on my Kindle (the very basic $79 one). Suffice to say, I did not really appreciate Mazzucchelli's brilliant art on that screen...

I think the two hardest things about my getting back into comics recently are:
1. Figuring out who the hell all the modern (and modernish) creators are.
2. Coming in knowing basically nothing about non-big two stuff.

In other words, I always feel a bit lost in most creator and non-big two discussions here. A learning curve!

Hmmmm, Prince of Cats is on kindle, though. Anybody have experience reading comics with kindle?

The app or the devices?

I read comics on my Kindle Fire. I backdoor the apps in and it works really well.

As for the app, I'd guess it works well enough on any tablet.

Sounds like you need some Valiant in your life.

The app or the devices?

I read comics on my Kindle Fire. I backdoor the apps in and it works really well.

As for the app, I'd guess it works well enough on any tablet.

Yeah, I use a Fire too with CMX, just wondering how the reading experience is for comics in the native kindle app.

PsychBat!

Banned

1. Hmm I guess. But I think this comes after starting getting into comics.
2. This is much harder and much more rewarding. Finding out that there's better stuff out there without superheroes is a beautiful thing.

tim1138

Kindle format comics are a mixed bag, it all depends on the publisher. DC/Vertigo stuff can have really crap resolutions that look bad super high res screens. You also can't rotate on double page spreads, which is super annoying.

Sounds like you need some Valiant in your life.

Maybe! I admit that most of what very little I know about Valiant is from the early-mid 90s and that they don't even own the rights to like half of the properties I tend to associate them with. This resulted in my being a bit puzzled seeing properties like Magnus, Solar, and Turok being on sale under the Dynamite label on CMX this last week or two.

1. Hmm I guess. But I think this comes after starting getting into comics.
2. This is much harder and much more rewarding. Finding out that there's better stuff out there without superheroes is a beautiful thing.

Oh, I already knew there was other stuff, it's just, as you say, harder to work with.

TheStig88

In other words, I always feel a bit lost in most creator and non-big two discussions here. A learning curve!
You and me both. It's almost suffocating sometimes. There's so much fantastic stuff out there and I'm finding something new every day, and it's all just a jumbled mess as I try and sort it out. I spend 90% of my time just lurking wondering what the hell everyone is even talking about as I creep along, one book at a time. Teeny bit of a learning curve, yeah.

Well I just bought 5 issues at full price last night. D'oh!
the post you quoted tripped me up because for i second, I thought i actually made an accidental post that i didn't remember posting!
Strange Fruit tomorrow.

Mark Waid and JG Jones
this has potential to be a good book by talented creators

or very bad
It starts out okay but eventually turns into this.

d5d52ee86edaf38121ffc87e44a05680.jpg

1. Ghost Rider jobbing :(
2. It's hilarious to read this in Cage screaming voice
3. It's twice as hilarious because I just watched all of Inferno Cop the other day

How is that hard? Pick the guardians of the galaxy book since the film was awesome, then track down everything that the dude wrote. Foolproof.
I mean, he wrote guardians AND also Age of Ultron? Ain't no way that's gonna be bad.

tim1138

You and me both. It's almost suffocating sometimes. There's so much fantastic stuff out there and I'm finding something new every day, and it's all just a jumbled mess as I try and sort it out. I spend 90% of my time just lurking wondering what the hell everyone is even talking about as I creep along, one book at a time. Teeny bit of a learning curve, yeah.

Maybe! I admit that most of what very little I know about Valiant is from the early-mid 90s and that they don't even own the rights to like half of the properties I tend to associate them with. This resulted in my being a bit puzzled seeing properties like Magnus, Solar, and Turok being on sale under the Dynamite label on CMX this last week or two.

Oh, I already knew there was other stuff, it's just, as you say, harder to work with.

My best suggestion for both of you is to hit up your local public library and pillage the graphic novel section. They will be in one of two places (or both depending on how good the tech services people are), in the Young Adult section organized alphabetically by title and/or adult nonfiction in the 741.xxx call number range. Find books and creators you like without making a huge financial commitment and then you can spend money on stuff you know you'll like.

Learn to love Image.

Forget capes because 99% of them are horrible. Batman is good. Pick up the Multiversity collect in a few months. There have been some good runs. Remender's Captain America was awesome. Grayson is a good book but it's a spy comic. The first 12 or so issues of Fraction's Hawkeye are pretty good. It takes a huge nosedive.

Seriously capes are at an all time low unless you buy into shitty gimmicks like Birdie does. Just give image and indie comics your money. That's where the good storytelling and diversity strives.

Here is a name you should get familiar with.

ALES KOT. The dude is great. Fucks with people's exceptions. Writes good and believable dialogue. Interesting story ideas.

Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison are still the best writers in the medium. This will probably never change.

PsychBat!

Banned
Learn to love Image.

Forget capes because 99% of them are horrible. Batman is good. Pick up the Multiversity collect in a few months. There have been some good runs. Remender's Captain America was awesome. Grayson is a good book but it's a spy comic. The first 12 or so issues of Fraction's Hawkeye are pretty good. It takes a huge nosedive.

Here is a name you should get familiar with.

ALES KOT. The dude is great. Fucks with people's exceptions. Writes good and believable dialogue. Interesting story ideas.

Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison are still the best writers in the medium. This will probably never change.

Do NOT listen to this person. Honest to whatever deity anyone believes in, do not listen. It's not that he has good taste or not, but this is a limited worldview when it comes to comics.

I think I may have had a slight advantage over you in this regard since I've long found myself picking up a level of awareness to DC/Marvel stuff from here, there, and everywhere even while not actually reading their books, so hopping back into most stuff from them has been pretty easy for me.

How is that hard? Pick the guardians of the galaxy book since the film was awesome, then track down everything that the dude wrote. Foolproof.
I mean, he wrote guardians AND also Age of Ultron? Ain't no way that's gonna be bad.

Haha. Actually, the modern GotG team confused me a bit because I actually had passing familiarity with the original team. I know I had gotten my hands on the annual from the 90s GotG series waaaaaaay back in the day.

Do NOT listen to this person. Honest to whatever deity anyone believes in, do not listen. It's not that he has good taste or not, but this is a limited worldview when it comes to comics.

It just goes to show how divisive this hobby is, and how little consensus there is on, well, anything. I don't even like Ales Kot, but enough people do that it's probably worth a look for newbies regardless. It's why "forget capes" is just bad advice. You really do have to pay attention to your own critical voice and personal enjoyment and take everything one issue at a time.

I actually did read comics last night, I reread + read the rest of the first arc of Jimmie Robinson's Five Weapons, a YA comic that's like, Harry Potter in an assassin school (it's not like Deadly Class at all) where you choose between five different weapon clubs to join and this one kid enrolls and tries to make it without using any weapon. It's fun and the art is very good, but the first arc is 5 issues, so it introduces a bunch of characters and has to resolve the plot and the several twists & turns really quickly, so it feels a bit cramped. It'd have been super dope if it were like, twice as long and got to breath more because the world it creates and the characters are really cool and interesting, but there's only so much time for each of them. I still dug it, though.

Haha, I've been here a couple months already guys and I've been listening and learning. I'm past the initial reentry phase and am more into intermediate book awareness levels. There may still be a lot to learn, but I am learning.

Well, I mostly agree with the stuff the post points to as being positive, but yes, I have much broader tastes than that. :p

Haha, I've been here a couple months already guys and I've been listening and learning. I'm past the initial reentry phase and am more into intermediate book awareness levels. There may still be a lot to learn, but I am learning.

Well, I mostly agree with the stuff the post points to as being positive, but yes, I have much broader tastes than that. :p

You know nothing. We will continue to spoon-feed you until you have outlandish opinions about Ann Nocenti or Mark Millar. It's the way things are done here.

Messi

Plenty of good big two books out there. Pick a title that appeals to you and go from there. If you want recommendations I'd be happy to help. I pull almost all the big two stuff.

Only conformist basic dudes want loved. See Messi.

How about you keep comments like this to yourself? Deal?

TheStig88

My best suggestion for both of you is to hit up your local public library and pillage the graphic novel section. They will be in one of two places (or both depending on how good the tech services people are), in the Young Adult section organized alphabetically by title and/or adult nonfiction in the 741.xxx call number range. Find books and creators you like without making a huge financial commitment and then you can spend money on stuff you know you'll like.
Noted. Honestly, I feel like that should have been so completely obvious. I've poked my head around there a few times before, hah.

I think I may have had a slight advantage over you in this regard since I've long found myself picking up a level of awareness to DC/Marvel stuff from here, there, and everywhere even while not actually reading their books, so hopping back into most stuff from them has been pretty easy for me.
Oh definitely. I'm starting from the ground up on all fronts. A mountain to climb, that's for sure, but damned if it isn't an enjoyable one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom