• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
My best suggestion for both of you is to hit up your local public library and pillage the graphic novel section. They will be in one of two places (or both depending on how good the tech services people are), in the Young Adult section organized alphabetically by title and/or adult nonfiction in the 741.xxx call number range. Find books and creators you like without making a huge financial commitment and then you can spend money on stuff you know you'll like.

Hey Sarah and others trying to dive into comics--Tim's idea is excellent and super cost-efficient (like, it's free).

Comics-Gaf can give you a small list of writers/artists/books to potentially check out and then y'all can just grab whatever interests you and talk about it on here.

Noted. Honestly, I feel like that should have been so completely obvious. I've poked my head around there a few times before, hah.

Hey Sarah and others trying to dive into comics--Tim's idea is excellent and super cost-efficient (like, it's free).

Comics-Gaf can give you a small list of writers/artists/books to potentially check out and then y'all can just grab whatever interests you and talk about it on here.

That's where I read a majority of my comics (and possibly also the reason I am not up to date on newer comics). Set a lot of holds, then read them as they come in.

For example, I am picking up I Kill Giants today.

Plenty of good big two books out there. Pick a title that appeals to you and go from there. If you want recommendations I'd be happy to help. I pull almost all the big two stuff.

Oh, I know. You helped me with a bunch shortly after I joined, remember? I mostly haven't been asking for a lot of recommendations from people lately because I've got, uh, a nice backlog as it is from what I have and what I pick up myself.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That's where I read a majority of my comics (and possibly also the reason I am not up to date on newer comics). Set a lot of holds, then read them as they come in.

For example, I am picking up I Kill Giants today.

I Kill Giants is really great. If you're into Joe Kelly, see if you can find Four Eyes. It's one trade about a poor, early 20th century kid who tries to become a Dragon-tamer/fighter after some terrible circumstances. It's not a complete story, but I've had a soft spot for it for years.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh, I know. You helped me with a bunch shortly after I joined, remember? I mostly haven't been asking for a lot of recommendations from people lately because I've got, uh, a nice backlog as it is from what I have and what I pick up myself.

one of us
one of us

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
IST UPDATED

HOLY SHIT WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME BACCHUS OMNIBUS RELEASED TODAY

ALSO THAT JACK KIRBY ADAMANTIUM-EDITION-SIZED COLLECTION. Shame it's only his Marvel stuff...

Edit: Oooh, and Batmanga volume 2 came out today.

Well, I've already made the dive in a somewhat less cost-efficient manner, but this is certainly very good advice.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I apologize if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing, but I am just overwhelmed with excitement, and I wanted to share this with you all.

They physical copy of my first comic book, The Gamma Gals, Issue #1 arrived today in the mail, and I'm just over the moon. I've been drawing comic books since 1993, when I was 14 years old, and it has been my dream to one day actually complete one and have it on my shelf. 22 years later, I finally completed my first issue, and the physical copy arrived today! I can't tell you how fantastic of a feeling it is to see something through to the end, and then be able to hold it in my hands and flip the pages.

I'm not trying to pimp my book or sell it, I just wanted to share with GAF this milestone in my life as an artist. This is literally the fulfillment of a 22 year old dream, and I hope that other people who may read this post can get some encouragement from it if they were in a similar period of listlessness as myself. Don't be discouraged, and don't be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of trying!

11709680_10205420532326046_3592048970283291288_o.jpg
10426604_10205420532286045_2937850784075134598_n.jpg

If this isn't appropriate for this thread, I'll gladly edit my post. I just wanted to share my excitement with my fellow comic book lovers!

Anyway, I'm super behind on my list. I've been reading Jem, Invincible, The Walking Dead, All New X-Men, Ms. Marvel, and Miles Morales, but there is so much more I'm behind on, or haven't even started collecting. I'm trying to balance my monthly budget between comics and video games.

What else should I be picking up during my next round? I haven't been into DC comics the past few years, but I've been meaning to pick up Geoff John's run on Green Lantern. I have no idea where to start with that one, however.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I will never get over how good of a value the Dark Horse Library Editions are. $23.19 for a 400 page super-oversized-hardcover of the absolute highest quality.

Meanwhile, Half-Century War OHC is $25 for 150 pages. Yeeeesh...
As much as I adore HCW, I think I might hold off on it for now due to that price and just get Kabuki and Bacchus.

PsychBat!

Banned
I apologize if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing, but I am just overwhelmed with excitement, and I wanted to share this with you all.

They physical copy of my first comic book, The Gamma Gals, Issue #1 arrived today in the mail, and I'm just over the moon. I've been drawing comic books since 1993, when I was 14 years old, and it has been my dream to one day actually complete one and have it on my shelf. 22 years later, I finally completed my first issue, and the physical copy arrived today! I can't tell you how fantastic of a feeling it is to see something through to the end, and then be able to hold it in my hands and flip the pages.

I'm not trying to pimp my book or sell it, I just wanted to share with GAF this milestone in my life as an artist. This is literally the fulfillment of a 22 year old dream, and I hope that other people who may read this post can get some encouragement from it if they were in a similar period of listlessness as myself. Don't be discouraged, and don't be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of trying!.

One question:
Where can I buy it?

EDIT: Are you my dad? You literally have the same hand as he does. The thumb size is different but everything else matches.

I'm not trying to pimp my book or sell it, I just wanted to share with GAF this milestone in my life as an artist. This is literally the fulfillment of a 22 year old dream, and I hope that other people who may read this post can get some encouragement from it if they were in a similar period of listlessness as myself. Don't be discouraged, and don't be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of trying!

If this isn't appropriate for this thread, I'll gladly edit my post. I just wanted to share my excitement with my fellow comic book lovers!

Figboy, that is awesome and I don't think it's inappropriate at all. I'm sure comicgaf will all be very excited for you! What a huge achievement!

So, did you write this? If not, how did you and your writer find each other? I have been working on a novel which has been slowly transforming into a comic script the past few months, but I don't know how I would even begin to find an artist.

Your book looks terrific, by the way. The colors pop. Is it going to be on comixology?

Congratulations!

What else should I be picking up during my next round? I haven't been into DC comics the past few years, but I've been meaning to pick up Geoff John's run on Green Lantern. I have no idea where to start with that one, however

Skip it.

I Kill Giants is really great. If you're into Joe Kelly, see if you can find Four Eyes. It's one trade about a poor, early 20th century kid who tries to become a Dragon-tamer/fighter after some terrible circumstances. It's not a complete story, but I've had a soft spot for it for years.

Will definitely track it down if I enjoy I Kill Giants. Thanks.

Congratulations! It's rather understandable to be excited and eager to share this sort of thing with people you think would at least somewhat appreciate it. I know for sure I would be.

Also, all the questions the people above me have asked. Uh, except for the dad hands part.

I will never get over how good of a value the Dark Horse Library Editions are. $23.19 for a 400 page super-oversized-hardcover of the absolute highest quality.

Meanwhile, Half-Century War OHC is $25 for 150 pages. Yeeeesh...
As much as I adore HCW, I think I might hold off on it for now due to that price and just get Kabuki and Bacchus.

Yeah, the Library Edition pricing, even for the ones with lower page counts, tends to make pricing from most other publishers feel really painful.

Anyway, I'm super behind on my list. I've been reading Jem, Invincible, The Walking Dead, All New X-Men, Ms. Marvel, and Miles Morales, but there is so much more I'm behind on, or haven't even started collecting. I'm trying to balance my monthly budget between comics and video games.

What else should I be picking up during my next round? I haven't been into DC comics the past few years, but I've been meaning to pick up Geoff John's run on Green Lantern. I have no idea where to start with that one, however.

If you're looking for DC recs, I'd go with Snyder's Batman over Johns' Lantern run.

(Tho really, I think that the 2006 Blue Beetle run beats both of them, but that's not really critically acclaimed like the others.)

Filthy Slug

Are you my dad? You literally have the same hand as he does. The thumb size is different but everything else matches.

I just want this fucking sentence on every Comics OT page from now on.

TheStig88

Congratulations! I can only imagine how that must feel to hold your own work like that.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
One question:
Where can I buy it?

EDIT: Are you my dad? You literally have the same hand as he does. The thumb size is different but everything else matches.

Lol! I'm almost 70% sure I'm not your dad, but who knows!

Thanks for the support guys! It's available at 2 places right now; as a digital ebook on the Kindle Store at Amazon, and as a Physical book (and digital book) at Indy Planet. I'm working on Issue #2 right now.

Figboy, that is awesome and I don't think it's inappropriate at all. I'm sure comicgaf will all be very excited for you! What a huge achievement!

So, did you write this? If not, how did you and your writer find each other? I have been working on a novel which has been slowly transforming into a comic script the past few months, but I don't know how I would even begin to find an artist.

Your book looks terrific, by the way. The colors pop. Is it going to be on comixology?

Yes, I wrote, penciled, inked, colored, and lettered the entire book! I've worked with writers before, but never on anything that got finished. I tend to do all of the work myself, but I'd love a colorist and letterer on a future project.

Thanks! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It took me a few months to complete. I submitted it to Comixology, but their reviewing process takes a bit, so I have no idea when/if it gets approved by them.

Congratulations!

Skip it.

Will definitely track it down if I enjoy I Kill Giants. Thanks.

Thank you!

So I should skip the Geoff John's stuff? Any particular reason why?

Congratulations! It's rather understandable to be excited and eager to share this sort of thing with people you think would at least somewhat appreciate it. I know for sure I would be.

Also, all the questions the people above me have asked. Uh, except for the dad hands part.

Yeah, the Library Edition pricing, even for the ones with lower page counts, tends to make pricing from most other publishers feel really painful.

Are you sure you don't want me to answer the dad hands for you? We could go on Maury, and I could do a dance when it turns out I'm not the father! I want to be a used gif on GAF!

Also, thanks! I think I answered the questions above, but this has been a wonderful and difficult project to manage on my own. I'm working on Issue #2 now, but given my work schedule, and how I can only squeeze in pages during off time and breaks at work, it won't be out for a bit, but the process of penciling, inking, coloring, and lettering each page should go a lot smoother this time around. I've already written the 4 issue mini-series, now it's just the fun/hard part of actually producing the pages!

If you're looking for DC recs, I'd go with Snyder's Batman over Johns' Lantern run.

(Tho really, I think that the 2006 Blue Beetle run beats both of them, but that's not really critically acclaimed like the others.)

Interesting. I'll definitely give these a look too. I'm missing out on so much good stuff!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nvm. My friend called and she wants to watch TV with me. Will play it tomorrow/later in the bed :D

Had completly forgotten that I owned it, the Virtuas Last Reward Announcemd reminded me.

So I should skip the Geoff John's stuff? Any particular reason why?

I read it very recently (well, the first third of it, to be exact) and it felt very empty. The characters are usually one-dimensional and it felt like the run was built around what the author thought were "awesome moments".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can you give me a hand? I am looking for all Universe wide Ultimate Marvel events.
So far I listened

Ultimatum
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
Cataclysm: The Ultimates
not really
Last Stand

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom