• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

can't wait, love Locke & Key

Even better than Kick-Ass (film)?

yessir

I say the same thing every time I read a new Millar book. Jupiter's Legacy is pretty dope.

is it though?

I'd credit to Vuaghn. Millar just comes up with the ideas.

I'd argue Ultimates is the best thing Millar has done

Ultimates was pretty good, i'll give em that

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I read Ultimate Enemy / Mystery / Doom to see how kid reed became evil...

It was all kinda shit :/

X-O Manowar

Cary Nord slays. Rob Venditti seems to have written Aric as Steve Rogers with functional gonads. Pretty ok so far.

So I read Ultimate Enemy / Mystery / Doom to see how kid reed became evil...

It was all kinda shit :/

You gotta keep going until he acquires his battle scar.

Or just skip straight to the books Hickman writes, tbh.

X-O Manowar

Cary Nord slays. Rob Venditti seems to have written Aric as Steve Rogers with functional gonads. Pretty ok so far.

This series doesn't miss a beat in its art department. Story-wise, the first bit is an origin story and borrows from tropes. It picks up a bit as it goes on, but things really come to a head at around issue 14-15.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You gotta keep going until he acquires his battle scar.

Or just skip straight to the books Hickman writes, tbh.

I did? Johnny fucked his face up with fire. Unless you mean something else. Last I saw him he was floating in space / another dimension. The name Maker never actually comes up

Maaan
I could look at Immonen's pencils all day.

AlX76XJ.jpg
J1n3Ysw.jpg
wvUnClc.jpg
fv3DKTp.jpg
RcxF8KL.jpg

Not even interested in Star Wars but I might buy this book anyway

Also, I am never drawing this many rods/rails again

Rhaknar

That reminds me that gketter said we would start getting star wars stuff this week on MU and we didn't.

We didn't.

Gketter is a liar ladies a gentlemen. He lies. It's what he does.

You approaching hickman, mate. Nevah give up.

So what should I read now? The Maker guide / jpg started listing uncanny x-men and shit and i was like "nope". It never actually listed ultimate fantastic four lol

Owzers

I reread issue #1 of East of West after reading #2 last night....i forgot so much and i still didn't understand some of it, that's a crazy first issue.

That reminds me that gketter said we would start getting star wars stuff this week on MU and we didn't.

We didn't.

Gketter is a liar ladies a gentlemen. He lies. It's what he does.
I said in the next week or so. We gotta be close!

I just looked it up. Star Wars came out 1/14. It's gotta come out next week!

So what should I read now? The Maker guide / jpg started listing uncanny x-men and shit and i was like "nope". It never actually listed ultimate fantastic four lol

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates 1-12, 28-30.

Hickman and Ribic, fwiw

In retrospect we shoulda just told you to read Ultimatum, keep in mind that johnny melted his face, sue tried to explode his head and the thing stole his girl, and skip straight to it.

Owzers

Hickman usually reads better in trade than issue-to-issue. It's not uncommon to have to reread.

I am eying the OHC at IST but i have every single issue of the series in my stacklog. It would be so much easier to order that than actually reading 15 issues to see if i like it....

Rhaknar

Ultimate Comics: Ultimates 1-12, 28-30.

Hickman and Ribic, fwiw

In retrospect we shoulda just told you to read Ultimatum, keep in mind that johnny melted his face, sue tried to explode his head and the thing stole his girl, and skip straight to it.

Off to read ultimates then. Also when you describe that sequence of events it sounds much better than it actually was lol

Also thank you.

Also also, any reason why I should skip 13-27?

Rhaknar

Yoooooooooo Ultimates #1 was awesome. Dat Hickman >_<

So at this point, we are not supposed the masked guy (Maker) is Reed I assume? I like to try to get in the mindset of "reading it at the time" as much as possible

How bad would you like to read an arc about Captain America becoming prez then quickly giving up cuz being prez = hard?
Humphries is the writer. Nuff said

giphy.gif

What's the reading order leading up to it? I'd love to dive into the first arc of Valiant, but I have no idea what to cop.

Definitely X-O Manowar up until #18. It helps to know who Harada is, as well; the first few issues of Harbinger would cover that. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot of series that lead into Unity.

Unity is actually part of the second act. Here's a list of the reading orders by trades. Most of the books are unrelated except where an event is involved (Harbinger Wars [Harbinger + Bloodshot, though Bloodshot is missable], Armor Hunters[X-O+Unity+tie-ins]). Unity is kind of a weird breed because it's the team book, but the build-up was in all of X-O.

Also, gattamn, nobody does a beat down like Valiant.

Man, that article about the death and ressurection of valiant was correct. There`s such a ridiculous... boldness to this writing that really makes it stand out.

It's like... they know that they won't ever a make the character relatable, and they ain't interested in doing that. And yet it doesn't give me the same feel of sterility that i usually get with DC.

Ninjak remains a totes silly name, tho

Man, that article about the death and ressurection of valiant was correct. There`s such a ridiculous... boldness to this writing that really makes it stand out.

It's like... they know that they won't ever a make the character relatable, and they ain't interested in doing that. And yet it doesn't give me the same feel of sterility that i usually get with DC.

Ninjak remains a totes silly name, tho

Basically, yeah. Their main characters consist of a megalomaniac, a rapist, a washed-out drunk, a religious fanatic... the list goes on. lol

Not sure what you mean by sterility.

And hey, cut Ninjak some slack, he was created in the 90s.

Yousefb

Hello ComicGAF. In the past couple of years I've been collecting a bunch of classic and new comics. As a kid I was always into the comics culture but I never actually read any, most of my knowledge about superheroes was from cartoons. With that said I have always thought of myself as more of a DC fan. However when I look at my shelf now I realize that most of my collected trades are Marvel events or series. My DC stuff is pretty much Batman related lol.

So my question what are some essential DC events or series that I can get as a collected trade? I don't care if it's new or old I just want to know what people's favorites are and I'll check it out! Thanks a bunch.

Edit: for reference this is what I currently have to get a better idea about what I'm missing.

Hello ComicGAF. In the past couple of years I've been collecting a bunch of classic and new comics. As a kid I was always into the comics culture but I never actually read any, most of my knowledge about superheroes was from cartoons. With that said I have always thought of myself as more of a DC fan. However when I look at my shelf now I realize that most of my collected trades are Marvel events or series. My DC stuff is pretty much Batman related lol.

So my question what are some essential DC events or series that I can get as a collected trade? I don't care if it's new or old I just want to know what people's favorites are and I'll check it out! Thanks a bunch.

52. Forever Evil is fun.

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing and Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison are both pretty great.

Comixology is having a sale on... like, every notable DC event. Check that out, see what catches your eye.

Personally, I haven't gotten around to reading 52, but I've heard great things. Knightfall holds up surprisingly well for something out of the 90s, mostly because it serves as a kind of subtle deconstruction of a lot of popular 90s comicbook tropes.

Hellblazer. If your tolerance for writers drugged out of their minds is high, start from the very start. Otherwise, start from Garth Ennis.

Lucifer. all of it.
Sandman. Same.
Preacher. Same.
Hitman. Same.

unless you mean DC cape books, in which case i guess Hitman is the only one i can recommend that sorta fits.

Rhaknar

Dat Maker reveal doe

If there is a "everything dies" line during this I'll lose my shit

It's technically Vertigo but you should definitely check out Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol. It's fantastic.

I really love Power Girl: Power Trip too. Just fun comics if you're looking for something more lighthearted and goofy.

You guys are making some far-out suggestions to someone who's only read Batman. Not that I have anything better to offer. lol

Wait, I take that back:
Batwoman: Elegy then Blackman and Williams III's Nu52 run.
Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
All-Star Superman
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, Quiver, Archer's Quest, Lemire's Nu52 run
Planetary

Hellblazer. If your tolerance for writers drugged out of their minds is high, start from the very start. Otherwise, start from Garth Ennis.

Lucifer. all of it.
Sandman. Same.
Preacher. Same.
Hitman. Same.

unless you mean DC cape books, in which case i guess Hitman is the only one i can recommend that sorta fits.

Good list.

Boogiepop

Guys, wait, does Guardians of the Galaxy come AFTER the stuff in the Annihilation Conquest Omnibus? I thought it came first but I got half-way through the first issue and think I made a mistake there...

Yousefb

Lucifer. all of it.
Sandman. Same.
Preacher. Same.
Hitman. Same.

I already have Sandman just need yup get volume 4 of the Absolute verdion. And was planning on starting Lucifer right after. I've heard good things about Preacher and I never heard of Hitman so I'll give those a look.

But yeah I suppose I should have been more clear I was more curious about the superheroes and capes. For some reason to me it just seems more confusing than Marvel, at least when it comes to the big events.

Guys, wait, does Guardians of the Galaxy come AFTER the stuff in the Annihilation Conquest Omnibus? I thought it came first but I got half-way through the first issue and think I made a mistake there...
Yup it comes after. The guardians form for the first time during conquest.

Boogiepop

I already have Sandman just need yup get volume 4 of the Absolute verdion. And was planning on starting Lucifer right after. I've heard good things about Preacher and I never heard of Hitman so I'll give those a look.

But yeah I suppose I should have been more clear I was more curious about the superheroes and capes. For some reason to me it just seems more confusing than Marvel, at least when it comes to the big events.

Yup it comes after. The guardians form for the first time during conquest.
Welp. Whoops! Guess I didn't spoil too much for myself, hopefully. But yeah, time to switch books then!

Also, the front of this book advertised a Rocket Raccoon and Groot Complete Collection at me. That worth looking into?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Thats amazing! Making comics is tough and exhausting but ridiculously rewarding.

Do you have a link for us to buy/read it?

Thanks! I just assume any guy with a hispanic name is a Spanish Jobber (TM)

It's available as an ebook for Kindle on Amazon here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MRBNNI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And as a physical copy on Indy Planet here: http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?product=126758

Yeah, it was insanely hard work, but I'm incredibly proud of how it all turned out. The physical copy looks way better than I anticipated! I'm working on issue #2, which I'm hoping to complete in the next two months if my work schedule permits. It's just a 4 issue mini-series, and I'm looking to maybe extend it to a full series if the feedback is good. I have a LOT of stories to tell in this universe beyond the first 4 issues. I'm already planning volume 2 and 3 and so on. Just notes in my notebook and Scrivner at the moment.

EDIT: Man, I'm super bummed I couldn't go to ComiCon this year. It's been decades since I last went. It's just hard to get the time off, and put the money aside. Me and my wife are saving up for a vacation to Hawaii, so my budget is tight!

SO they revealed the new Luis Royo DC statue. This one comes after Catwoman and Harley. Its Wonder Woman.

attachment.php

I love it and will be getting one.

Oh my. This statue is gorgeous! I want it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom