• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Definitely X-O Manowar up until #18. It helps to know who Harada is, as well; the first few issues of Harbinger would cover that. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot of series that lead into Unity.

Unity is actually part of the second act. Here's a list of the reading orders by trades. Most of the books are unrelated except where an event is involved (Harbinger Wars [Harbinger + Bloodshot, though Bloodshot is missable], Armor Hunters[X-O+Unity+tie-ins]). Unity is kind of a weird breed because it's the team book, but the build-up was in all of X-O.

Also, gattamn, nobody does a beat down like Valiant.

thanks! i'll throw x-o 1-18 & harbinger 1-8 in the backlog

Owzers

Arkham Knight....these Riddler batmobile "missions",
Catwoman is on her own
, i'm not doing any more of them. It's kind of obnoxious that they would have the Riddler only make set-ups for the batmobile, as if he'd contain himself to your dumb new gameplay mechanic.

PsychBat!

Banned
Do you like hickman?

If yes, yes.
If no, yes.

Best answers ever?
Yes.

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with East of West and I'm forgetting a lot of it each day. Which is weird because I definitely remember Manhattan Projects The Sun Beyond the Stars #1. That shit was amazeballs.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Catwoman is on her own
, i'm not doing any more of them. It's kind of obnoxious that they would have the Riddler only make set-ups for the batmobile, as if he'd contain himself to your dumb new gameplay mechanic.

Have you tried to switching to First Person Camera (with R1 or RB)? It makes it a lot easier for the racing ones.

Edit: Oh, snap. I'm a full blown Member. When did that happen? I shall christen the change with the Zombeen-ian practice of avatars that you own.

Prepare for all my disastrous OT comic threads pitting fan against fan, where the only winner is no one.

I'll probably never make a thread.

Owzers

Have you tried to switching to First Person Camera (with R1 or RB)? It makes it a lot easier for the racing ones.

I haven't, mainly stuck with the regular camera for all batmobiling. Relegating the Riddler as an exclusive "batmobile guy" and the circle strafing drone battles where you're just dodging and shooting 20 drones are two things i'd immediately get rid of in the game, same with Witcher 3's first half " have you seen an ashen-haired woman? Yes, i'll do you a favor." Quit ruining games for me developers.

Also, I am never drawing this many rods/rails again

Doing lines and shit always drove me nuts when I used to draw and make things. Sooo repetitive and I would just get lazy gah.

Looks nice though. Really clean.

Edit: Oh, snap. I'm a full blown Member. When did that happen? I shall christen the change with the Zombeen-ian practice of avatars that you own.

Prepare for all my disastrous OT comic threads pitting fan against fan, where the only winner is no one.

I'll probably never make a thread.

The real NeoGAF begins here.

I always forget that Planetary and Transmet were DC. Why did they create both helix and wildstorm instead of running all these experimental titles under Vertigo?
I thought transmet was vertigo from the get go?

Planetary was wildstorm because it hadn't been bought by DC yet if I remember right

Anyone get the Absolute Edition on Y the Last Man that came out today? How is the art blown up? Can't find any info on it.

Same question for the Vol 1 Absolute Transmetropolitan.

frye

I'd credit to Vuaghn. Millar just comes up with the ideas.

I'd argue Ultimates is the best thing Millar has done

The first Ultimates is a perfect comic imo but my preference is his and JRJR's Wolverine, which is basically 12 issues of fights strung together by a barely coherent plot

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need to read the Joe Mad Ultimates, because...Joe Mad. That is volume 2 correct?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All these upcoming Amazon fishes sound wonderful again. DC War Year books for Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman, Nocenti Daredevil, a big ass Flash Deluxe Edition.

Man, wonderful times. I hope I finally get my Long Halloween/Dark Victors Deluxe Edition. And a new Spidey Omnibus (or two).

Edit: Yeah, Harley/Ivy Deluxe Edition.l This has to be Paul Dini stuff, am I right? World Finest Omnibus.

I talked about it recently, but I finished rereading Milligan's and Ribic's Sub Mariner MK Mini froma while back. Its gorgeously painted and the story is really good. Reads more like a psychological thriller than a cape book. Loved it. Highly recommend it.

Transmet went from Helix to Vertigo after a year or something. Both DC owned to begin with, so it's weird to even have created Helix in the first place.
Honestly, I never heard of Helix before. Anything else of note come out of there?

The first Ultimates is a perfect comic imo but my preference is his and JRJR's Wolverine, which is basically 12 issues of fights strung together by a barely coherent plot
I dont remember much of it now. I sold my copy so I could buy more comics and I never read the second half. Ill probably read it on MU tomorrow. I *do*remember it being mostly about Wolverine being on the run fighting everybody.

I may have said it before, but I think Millar is likely the best action writer there is. It's difficult to split what is due to the artist and writer, but Mark Millar's comics consistently have great action in them. I think its just one of the reasons top artists love to work with him

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No one tell him. He doesn't need to read it.

But...but...Joe Mad :(

And incest Wanda / Pietro

survivor-smile.gif

frye

I *do*remember it being Wolverine fighting everybody.

yes

I may have said it before, but I think Millar is likely the best action writer there is. It's difficult to split what is due to the artist and writer, but Mark Millar's comics consistently have great action in them. I think its just one of the reasons top artists love to work with him

and agreed

I mean, ultimately it's the artist who does the heavy lifting but Millar is one of the few guys who can provide a solid foundation for artists who don't necessarily have that ability to pace fights if the only thing the script says is "go wild for 2 pages" (unlike guys like David Aja or Tradd Moore for example).

Amazing action scene's seem to be kind of rare nowadays.

Warren Ellis has got to be up there with the best of them,

Bii

And I was just about to hit you up for a full 11x17 rods/rails page commission too.

Oh shi- haha

Leaving for San Diego tomorrow morning and I'm not even finished packing. :/
Just sorted through some comics I want signed. I guess I'll get the clothes and everything else ready tomorrow morning.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My DC purchase for the day......

DC Sneak Peek: Grayson (2014-) #1
Grayson (2014-) #7
Starfire (2015-) #2
New Suicide Squad (2014-) #10

Mindwipe

Anyone read Ghosted or Manifesr Destiny? Both are cheap and sound like I may like them.

I read volume 1 of Ghosted, it wasn't bad, enough that I took a punt on volume 2 in this sale.

Vol 1 is self contained if that helps.

I see there's also a bunch of Marvel trades discounted at CMX too. Mostly Deadpool, but there's volume 1 of Loki: Agent of Asgard.

I knew there'd be a Dark Horse sale. Bah, I already spent too much this month.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I know how people feel about the Dark Horse app, but EVERYTHING is 50% off until like the thirteenth. Hello, every current issue of Baltimore!

Hey, I picked up Buzzkill for cheap at NYCC last year and posted a little about it! Book had a great premise but I didn't think it pushed the addict thing far enough. I know it was only four issues, and by the end it kinda turned into a kinda cliche cape-slug-fest, but it really had a great foundation if they were willing to build it. Also, the art totally reminds me of Mateo Scalera as well. I'll be looking into Payback, though.

Well said!
Def has a Scalera / Murphy look to it.

Snyder's Batman post-Black Mirror isn't even that good though

..............hmm

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing, but I am just overwhelmed with excitement, and I wanted to share this with you all.

They physical copy of my first comic book, The Gamma Gals, Issue #1 arrived today in the mail, and I'm just over the moon. I've been drawing comic books since 1993, when I was 14 years old, and it has been my dream to one day actually complete one and have it on my shelf. 22 years later, I finally completed my first issue, and the physical copy arrived today! I can't tell you how fantastic of a feeling it is to see something through to the end, and then be able to hold it in my hands and flip the pages.

I'm not trying to pimp my book or sell it, I just wanted to share with GAF this milestone in my life as an artist. This is literally the fulfillment of a 22 year old dream, and I hope that other people who may read this post can get some encouragement from it if they were in a similar period of listlessness as myself. Don't be discouraged, and don't be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of trying!

Awesomeness! Looks great btw

Thats amazing! Making comics is tough and exhausting but ridiculously rewarding.

Do you have a link for us to buy/read it?
?

Mindwipe

The 50% CMX DH sale doesn't seem to understand the meaning of "50%". It's like, 50% and then round up or down to the nearest full pound, completely randomly.

ElNarez

Banned
Amazing action scene's seem to be kind of rare nowadays.

Warren Ellis has got to be up there with the best of them,

Why are you posting this and not the goddamn Aja issue of his Secret Avengers, what the heck's wrong with you?

UO316fH.jpg

edit: okay didn't see the last pic. STILL MINE IS BETTER.

Messi

All in on this sale. I bought

All of Empowered
All of Fear Agent (I hope I dig it)
All of Blacksad
Superman Doomed

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just finished up Wytches and really loved it. Particularly the final issue. It seems this was just the end of the first arc but that there's no rush in them making a follow-up. I'm very interested to see where Snyder and Jock go from here.

Catwoman is on her own

Yup same here, fuck that shit. That and the bombs in the ground can go fuck themselves. Seriously you're putting me in a small tight space where I can barely move and I have to fight 48 fucking drones to be able to blow up this bomb, no fuck you Rocksteady.

I'm like 3/4 of the way through the game overall and its such a disappointment, worst entry in the series. : (

On a good note I finally read Midnighter 2, this series is pretty legitimately awesome.

CMX trying to kill me with this Dark Horse sale. I'm buying something like 13-14 floppies today, gotta limit myself to Hellboy vol 2, Empowered vol 1 and Lone Wolf & Cub vol 1.

...mayyyyybe more later in the week ;p

ElNarez

Banned
I would like to confirm that there are no dragons sucking their own dicks in Archie #1. It's in fact a super cute romcom, without any splashes of oversized genitalia.

Anyone get the Absolute Edition on Y the Last Man that came out today? How is the art blown up? Can't find any info on it.

Same question for the Vol 1 Absolute Transmetropolitan.

I got Absolute Transmet and it looks great. I didn't see any problems with the blown up art when I flipped through it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168447402&postcount=7140

All 3 Usagi omnibuses for $20. All hail CMX

Everyone, pls get these of you don't already have them. $20 for 2000 pages of great comics. (Well, Iv'e only read the first 650 pages of that but it wouldn't be wrong to extrapolate).

Here is the link for your convenience.

https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yojimbo-Saga-Vol-1/digital-comic/225640

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The 50% CMX DH sale doesn't seem to understand the meaning of "50%". It's like, 50% and then round up or down to the nearest full pound, completely randomly.

Man, all this Darkhorse CMX stuff you guys are telling here sounds like ist a horrible disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom