• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faiz

Just finished reading the first Miles Morales Ult Spider-Man series. Great stuff, almost makes me wish they hadn't canned the Ultimate Universe altogether, but it really was the only thing worth saving.

On to Cataclysm.

Edit: just realized Hunger, the lead in for Cataclysm, is a followup to the Age of Ultron series. Ugh.

My poor walking dead Waifu. How could they do rosita like that? The only thing I found funny afterwards was that they revealed each death due to your increasing familiarity with the characters. A couple of them I was like

200_s.gif

But Rosita and Ezekiel really got me...

Let's not forget poor Olivia.

Had me going for a minute there, I was getting ready for the double splash of Andrea and Michonne.

Is Blackest Night a good read? Either of the N52 Lantern events?

Blackest Night is, imo, very fun. Not top tier but not bad either. A very blockbuster-y sort of event that didn't quite do a "THE DC UNIVERSE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN" but it's another huge mythology builder of Johns' GL mythos.

As for the two N52 events...I'm guessing you mean Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern? Rise isn't really an event...just more of a storyline that was a bit of a McGuffin (????) and a setup to the finale of Johns' 9+ year run in Wrath. Wrath is good, gorgeus art, pretty explosions of colours, a ridiculously pretty gatefold and an emotional ending to Johns' run.

Warning: HUUUUUGE image.

Zombine

Banned
Let's not forget poor Olivia.

Had me going for a minute there, I was getting ready for the double splash of Andrea and Michonne.

Its really weird losing some post prison people like Olivia and Rosita ._. Eugene is the only one of the Abraham crew that is left.

omgkitty

Ugh I just saw the Dark Horse sale. I guess I can finally get Blacksad and Umbrella Chronicles. I'd like to get Grendel too but why the hell is it not in HD?? :\

Its really weird losing some post prison people like Olivia and Rosita ._. Eugene is the only one of the Abraham crew that is left.

Poor Eugene. This is going to be the death of him. Somebody is going to attack the Whisperers for this against Rick's wishes and I'm betting it'll be Eugene.

Ezekiel ; ;

Owzers

All time best. I can't believe this sale. WOW!

So far i'm in for Monsters! , i don't see the Usagi Yojimbo Saga volumes on CMX outside of the third. Also, what's the appeal of a rabbit samurai? You guys know rabbits can't be samurais, right?

Also Also, Umbrella Academy is my second favorite book ( maybe? ) after Nextwave, so it is heartily recommended and you don't have to pretend rabbits are samurais to enjoy it.

Zombine

Banned
Poor Eugene. This is going to be the death of him. Somebody is going to attack the Whisperers for this against Rick's wishes and I'm betting it'll be Eugene.

Ezekiel ; ;

They killed the blacksmith as well. That's going to really fuck things up a bit

I just got back into Walking Dead and what a freakin' issue to pick up.

Geez.

Oh man go back and catch up. This arc has been badass.

So far i'm in for Monsters! , i don't see the Usagi Yojimbo Saga volumes on CMX outside of the third. Also, what's the appeal of a rabbit samurai? You guys know rabbits can't be samurais, right?

Also Also, Umbrella Academy is my second favorite book ( maybe? ) after Nextwave, so it is heartily recommended and you don't have to pretend rabbits are samurais to enjoy it.

Only 3 omnibuses are out at the moment.

Asking about the appeal of a rabbit samurai is like asking about the appeal of a cat detective. Doesn't hinder Usagi Yojimbo or Blacksad from being great comics.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
God dammit! I just jumped to the last page and clicked on the spoilers, not realizing they wee for The Walking Dead!

I'm still a few issues behind because my comixology app acts stupid sometimes on my Surface Pri, and won't let me read comics I've bought! Now that it's fixed, I'm looking to read all the books I bought when I have some time.

Man, what a horrible time to click on unmarked spoilers!

Zombine

Banned

Asking about the appeal of a rabbit samurai is like asking about the appeal of a cat detective. Doesn't hinder Usagi Yojimbo or Blacksad from being great comics.

I believe Stan used animals in Usagi to bring Japanese history to children in a way where the violence was offset by rabbits and pandas. It's pretty brilliant. The only book that deviates from using history for the stories is Senso.

Yo all these TWD spoilers, I might have to back out of here until I get to reading it later.

I hope I didn't ruin anything. I made sure I marked literally everything. The reason why I got so excited is because Carl finally stayed in the house.

Owzers

why would i ever buy a book about a cat detective...maybe a bat detective.

only kidding though :p

Mignolaverse and Hellboy have sentenced SO many DC and Marvel books to Wish List Country.

I just can't square myself with reading rushed comics instead of meticulously crafted masterpieces where artists are given the time to be perfect.

Because those books inspired me to really linger on each panel, if you do that with ANY mainstream book, instead of just breezing through it to just get story beats, you see how rushed DC and Marvel artists are. Even a great comic like Infinity Gauntlet by a great artist like Weaver, look at each panel, look at how rarely his lines are joined, how sketchy it turns out.

And then pick up literally any Mignolaverse book. Rock solid linework, perfect coloring. DC and Marvel just don't cut the mustard anymore. Good enough is no longer

Good enough.

I hope I didn't ruin anything. I made sure I marked literally everything. The reason why I got so excited is because Carl finally stayed in the house.

Not yet. But I'm getting scared I might accidentally click it and I know I don't want to know what's underneath those marks...

Saga was terrific. Great ending to a great arc.

Now to read this stack of Marvel #1s and see how they turned out: 1872, Spider-Island, Civil War and Age of Apocalypse.

Owzers

I don't like the idea of having Dark Horse Books on their app AND CMX, why can i not link my account like with Marvel? What if i buy volume 1 of a book on CMX and then vol 2 goes on sale on DH's digital store but not cmx? All my BRPD 1948 mini's and stuff are on the dark horse store.

I don't like the idea of having Dark Horse Books on their app AND CMX, why can i not link my account like with Marvel? What if i buy volume 1 of a book on CMX and then vol 2 goes on sale on DH's digital store but not cmx? All my BRPD 1948 mini's and stuff are on the dark horse store.

Because they stink.

You gotta go all in on CMX and just wait. I did the same thing, had pretty much a full run of Mignolaverse on their app in singles, but just deleted the DH app and never looked back. I'll get it in trade eventually. And the DH books, to a one, are at garbage resolution. DH cares more about server space than image quality. At least with the remaining SD DH books on CMX, I can bug them weekly until they're replaced. I tried to ask DH what was up with their resolution for months and just got the high hat. They'll never change, their books will always look like trash on their app.

I give them a month before they put new floppies on CMX, once the invoices start rolling in.

It's not often I see a recommendation from sillymonkey, so I'm guessing Umbrella Academy is the real deal. Maybe I'll pick that up since I already decided to go physical for the whole Hellboy universe.

So damn happy that DH is on Comixology.

Zombine

Banned
Hey I read Pisces this morning. No idea wtf is going on yet but I got some Jacobs Ladder meets Sunshine vibes. I think I'll see it through.

Anybody familiar with Jeff Dekal's work? His commissions are gorgeous. He's in Florida. Hit him up Messi!

Mignolaverse and Hellboy have sentenced SO many DC and Marvel books to Wish List Country.

I just can't square myself with reading rushed comics instead of meticulously crafted masterpieces where artists are given the time to be perfect.

Because those books inspired me to really linger on each panel, if you do that with ANY mainstream book, instead of just breezing through it to just get story beats, you see how rushed DC and Marvel artists are. Even a great comic like Infinity Gauntlet by a great artist like Weaver, look at each panel, look at how rarely his lines are joined, how sketchy it turns out.

And then pick up literally any Mignolaverse book. Rock solid linework, perfect coloring. DC and Marvel just don't cut the mustard anymore. Good enough is no longer

Good enough.
Once my birthday rolls around, Im jumping fully onboard Mignolaverse and buying every library edition.

You're right. There are so many panels in Marvel/DC that are just there. They're functional and still look good because of the skill of the artist, but they could do better.

right below

It's available as an ebook for Kindle on Amazon here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MRBNNI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And as a physical copy on Indy Planet here: http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?product=126758

Yeah, it was insanely hard work, but I'm incredibly proud of how it all turned out. The physical copy looks way better than I anticipated! I'm working on issue #2, which I'm hoping to complete in the next two months if my work schedule permits. It's just a 4 issue mini-series, and I'm looking to maybe extend it to a full series if the feedback is good. I have a LOT of stories to tell in this universe beyond the first 4 issues. I'm already planning volume 2 and 3 and so on. Just notes in my notebook and Scrivner at the moment.
Great. I've saved it for when I finally get money to spend this friday. How much time are you putting in per day to make it? Two months per issue is pretty quick.

Amazing action scene's seem to be kind of rare nowadays.

Warren Ellis has got to be up there with the best of them,
Yes. I think so too. There was a great round up some months ago where Declan Shalvey talked about the way he approaches action. Im gonna try to look it up but it was a while back.

And I was just about to hit you up for a full 11x17 rods/rails page commission too.
sonofa-

ahem

how many rods/rails are you looking to have drawn, good sir?

Looks fantastic. He draws a great Leia. I've enjoyed Cassaday's run on the book but Immonen will make a nice change.

Im always impressed with his work, but his character resemblence is really good. Amazing how he manages to pull it off within his own style. Masterclass artist.

Why are you posting this and not the goddamn Aja issue of his Secret Avengers, what the heck's wrong with you?

UO316fH.jpg

edit: okay didn't see the last pic. STILL MINE IS BETTER.
Aja is too good. I look forward to seeing him draw about 3 more issues of anything before he dies.

SugarNSpike-3c609.jpg

"Someone is blackmailing the worlds greatest superheroes with embarrassing secrets from their past, and it's up to the only people every hero trusts, detectives Sugar and Spike, to find the culprit before these secrets are revealed," he [Didio] said in a post revealing the cover at right (shown with an original Mayer cover for comparison). "Personally, I can't wait."

Okay, my "15 years of Marvel in a few months" run is getting damn close to the present day now.

I'm post Infinity now and just finished Trial of Jean Grey. Loved it. Bendis shifting gears away from the Avengers and on to X stuff really revitalized him, it feels like. And while his GotG isn't DnA, I'm growing to like it. Pichelli and Immonen being his main partners post Marvel Now sure helps, too.

There's still a lot of times where Bendis has a vision and just kludges the status quo into place that kind of irks me, of course. The latest example being: the Starjammer swooping in to save everyone, cool, who's on it?? Who ARE the Starjammers now? I turn the page and...

It's Corsair and Hepzibah. Hmm. As soon as I see them, I just know deep down I'll get no explanation as to why he's alive and she's back in space, and of course there isn't one. A quick search tells me that a flimsy explanation is offered later in the Cyclops book, evidently.

Oh well, I've learned by now that Bendis just does what he wants and you just have to give his continuity a squint test.

Anyway, I thought the Trial of Jean Grey was great, and I'm starting to come around to BMBGotG.

Nudull

Banned
This is heavy.

Bob Gale and "Back to the Future" are like time travel and a DeLorean -- you can't have one without the other. With IDW announcing a new comic book series based on the beloved film series, it made perfect sense to get the screenwriter on board to oversee the ongoing series announced ahead of preview night at Comic-Con International.

Gale, who has written "Daredevil" and "Amazing Spider-Man" comics in the past will not be shouldering the writing chores alone, however. He's heading up a team that includes IDW veteran writers John Barber ("Transformers") and Erik Burnham ("Ghostbusters"). The idea is for Gale to offer suggestions and oversee the issues which will be broken up into smaller stories penned by Burnham and Barber with a rotating cast of artists lending their styles to the time-weaving tales. The first will feature "Batman '66" artist Brent Schoonover as well as "Ghostbusters" penciller Dan Schoening.

The October release will also answer long-held questions about the film series like how Doc and Marty first met and Doc's work with an infamous group of scientists during World War II before going on to feature different artists drawing a variety of smaller stories that fit within the existing framework of the films.

Any website to look for comics to read? Advanced search (tags, genres, date)? Comic book user reviews and comments?
Something like myanimelist or mangaupdates but for comics.

Or in case someone here wants to add a recommendation, I'm looking for graphic novels or completed comic series with SciFi/Fantasy/Cyberpunk and a focus on character development and/or romance.
I've only read Saga (1-29) so far. I like it, but the release cadence is a worse than manga, so I'm dropping it until whenever the story arc is completed.

Any website to look for comics to read? Advanced search (tags, genres, date)? Comic book user reviews and comments?

Or in case someone here wants to add a recommendation, I'm looking for graphic novels or completed comic series with SciFi/Fantasy/Cyberpunk and a focus on character development and/or romance.
I've only read Saga (1-29) so far. I like it, but the release cadence is a worse than manga, so I'm dropping it until whenever the story arc is completed.

Black Science
Low
Hellboy/BPRD

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I'd recommend looking into Fear Agent.

Completed series?

Cyberpunk - Transmetropolitan
Fantasy - Sandman, Fables (This ends this month. Last tradepaperback will release this month too.)
SciFi - The Incal, Global Frequency, We3, Top Ten, Life and Times of Martha Washington (though I don't know if this would be strictly Sci-Fi).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom