• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLDW0VD.gif

omgkitty

So I was looking through all of the Hellboy stuff, and I realized a lot of it outside the main book is not drawn by Mignola, but it all looks pretty much exactly like his style. Does he specifically pick artists to do this or what's the deal?

Mindwipe

Any website to look for comics to read? Advanced search (tags, genres, date)? Comic book user reviews and comments?
Something like myanimelist or mangaupdates but for comics.

Or in case someone here wants to add a recommendation, I'm looking for graphic novels or completed comic series with SciFi/Fantasy/Cyberpunk and a focus on character development and/or romance.
I've only read Saga (1-29) so far. I like it, but the release cadence is a worse than manga, so I'm dropping it until whenever the story arc is completed.

Completed or is something which has a coherent and fully wrapped story in the initial volume which was followed on with new arcs later okay?

Mind MGMT is a good example - they're on volume 4, but made sure to wrap Volume 1 up in case it got cancelled.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Completed or is something which has a coherent and fully wrapped story in the initial volume which was followed on with new arcs later okay?

Mind MGMT is a good example - they're on volume 4, but made sure to wrap Volume 1 up in case it got cancelled.
how is Mind MGMT? i know its ending in a few issues and im thinkin of divin in

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
probably old because I just woke up but first month of MU for 1 penny

Ryan Penagos ‏@AgentM 11m11 minutes ago
New #MarvelUnlimited subscribers get the first month for 1¢. Promo code: PENNY http://marvel.com/unlimited #MarvelSDCC

edit: I dont know my american currentcy lol

styl3s

I relapsed and bought all the marvel books this week don't look at me i am a disgusting human being.

Archie #1 getting a lot of great reviews is it worth picking up?

Tim is right, today I fell in love with Travel Foremans art in Justice League United today. Great first issue for the team. Really loved the moment where
Ivy geeked out meeting Swampy. Fun moment.

So, after starting All-New X-Men, I've realized that I know essentially nothing about Illyana. I know she's Colossus' sister, and that she was possessed by something at one point (Shadow King?) and that she can wield a magic sword.

Beyond that I know nothing. Nothing about her character or the type of person she is at all. Nothing.
It starts out okay but eventually turns into this.

d5d52ee86edaf38121ffc87e44a05680.jpg

HAHAHAHA da fuck is this?!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well I certainly didn't expect (spoiler with no context)

Took one for the team. It's definitely a Marvel spoiler and looks like a Secret Wars spoiler. Can't be 100% sure about the Secret Wars part though.

So I was looking through all of the Hellboy stuff, and I realized a lot of it outside the main book is not drawn by Mignola, but it all looks pretty much exactly like his style. Does he specifically pick artists to do this or what's the deal?
I'm thinking so... and I love it too. lol

Is this sarcasm? I thought it was getting rave reviews.

Archie was great, really enjoyed it.

Can't believe I look forward to so many of their books now. Before Afterlife came out, my total exposure to them was the "STAY OUT OF RIVERDALE!" gag in the Simpsons.

Archie was great, really enjoyed it.

Can't believe I look forward to so many of their books now. Before Afterlife came out, my total exposure to them was the "STAY OUT OF RIVERDALE!" gag in the Simpsons.

You mean you never experienced seeing various Archie Digests and Double Digests there next to the mini-crossword puzzle books in the grocery checkout line? You missed out.

I considered getting the Archie relaunch but the short term artist stuff sort of soured me so I decided to pass. Getting a "big name artist" for three issues just seems like why.

Some are closer to him than others. In the early years there's a ton of people trying to just Woody Allen it and do their best impression. But as the line grew there were a lot more unique artists coming on board, but Mignola was heavily involved on the layout side, so that immaculate storytelling is still completely intact, even as different voices come to the forefront visually.

But also, it's always Mignola picking new artists, so, except for a few wonky one-shots in the first BPRD Omnibus, you're looking at incredibly skilled craftsmanship.

Like when you get James Herren's work in BPRD: Hell on Earth, it's just unbelievable.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ugh. All this Hellboy/BPRD talk makes me wish I didn't suck so much at actually reading comics.

Also, the newest Sufjan Stevens album is top notch.

Oh and also off topic, ever since my pinky started hurting at some point from bouldering, it's been getting cold much faster than all of my other fingers. Hmm...

tim1138

Tim is right, today I fell in love with Travel Foremans art in Justice League United today. Great first issue for the team. Really loved the moment where
Ivy geeked out meeting Swampy. Fun moment.

As if there was any doubt... :D

In regards to your spoiler
Ivy and Equinox have the best facial expressions in the backgrounds. They are constantly freaking out and making hilarious faces

Not gonna tag it since she's on the cover, Mera has never looked so fierce as with Foreman drawing her.
New to hope the book is successful and he and Parker stick around for a long time.

Ugh. All this Hellboy/BPRD talk makes me wish I didn't suck so much at actually reading comics.

Also, the newest Sufjan Stevens album is top notch.

Oh and also off topic, ever since my pinky started hurting at some point from bouldering, it's been getting cold much faster than all of my other fingers. Hmm...

Try the Birdie Method.

For every non-Hellboy-verse comic you read, read one Hellboy-verse comic.

Simple!

Lol (Reddit)
haha i love it
Some are closer to him than others. In the early years there's a ton of people trying to just Woody Allen it and do their best impression. But as the line grew there were a lot more unique artists coming on board, but Mignola was heavily involved on the layout side, so that immaculate storytelling is still completely intact, even as different voices come to the forefront visually.

But also, it's always Mignola picking new artists, so, except for a few wonky one-shots in the first BPRD Omnibus, you're looking at incredibly skilled craftsmanship.

Like when you get James Herren's work in BPRD: Hell on Earth, it's just unbelievable.
James Harren is just too good. Is gonna be regarded as one of the very best if he keeps it up.

You mean you never experienced seeing various Archie Digests and Double Digests there next to the mini-crossword puzzle books in the grocery checkout line? You missed out.

He never made his way to Ireland, sadly. My comics childhood was going to the newsagents the Beano, the Dandy, Transformers UK (with Zoids by Grant Morrison and G.I. Joe Action Force!) and reading my older brothers' stash of 2000 AD, Dan Dare and Roy of the Rovers.

Then I picked up this with my own pocket money one week....:

....and the rest is history!

Messi

He never made his way to Ireland, sadly. My comics childhood was going to the newsagents the Beano, the Dandy, Transformers UK (with Zoids by Grant Morrison and G.I. Joe Action Force!) and reading my older brothers' stash of 2000 AD, Dan Dare and Roy of the Rovers.

Then I picked up this with my own pocket money one week....:

....and the rest is history!

I read all those comics. I loved Beano. I hated Dandy. What am asshole.

Yup Archie never made it to Ireland. This is all new territory for me. My first issue I read was the one where he was killed. I only bought it because of the amazing Adam Hughes cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom