• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god, Bendis.

J'Son, GotG #14: "YOU are the Starlord. That is your birthright. And you could use that to make the galaxy a better place, a safer place... instead you are a punishing disappointment."

...just shoehorn Quill into that "slacker" archetype so he matches the movie. Never mind the fact that he was one of the universe's biggest war hero celebrities for being the top strategist who fought off the bugs, the Phalanx and ultimately sacrificed himself fighting Thanos and closing the Cancerverse.

thanos+imperative+issue+6+010.jpg

Look at this eternal flame memorial of Richie Ryder and... an anonymous dude who just gets in barfights and stuff.

Marvel Now 2013 really is a harder reboot in some places than others.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh god, Bendis.

J'Son, GotG #14: "YOU are the Starlord. That is your birthright. And you could use that to make the galaxy a better place, a safer place... instead you are a punishing disappointment."

...just shoehorn Quill into that "slacker" archetype so he matches the movie. Never mind the fact that he was one of the universe's biggest war hero celebrities for being the top strategist who fought off the bugs, the Phalanx and ultimately sacrificed himself fighting Thanos and closing the Cancerverse.

Look at this eternal flame memorial of Richie Ryder and... an anonymous dude who just gets in barfights and stuff.

Marvel need to put everything from DnA in Omnibusses.

I pulled a muscle and bruised a bone playing Soccer. So I delayed going back to LA for a few days. I realized I forgot to pre-order Archie. I made my dad go out and get me the last copy from the comic book store in Fresno. Guy at the store said they got like 30 in and sold them in an hour.

Making your dad grab your comics is hilarious to me

Hey pops! Go and get me the freshest Archie from the funny books store will ya? I got a bum leg and a bad back

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just got measured for a new 3 piece black suit mmmm

Picked up Fear Agent in the sale today. Looking forward to it, seems like something up my alley.

Currently reading DMZ and Preacher. I'm returning to comics after a significant hiatus (20 years or so). Started with the Batman classics and moved on to Y The Last Man (loved it) and now I'm having a good time just browsing through all the comics that I've missed.

I think I prefer the non caped stuff, although Batman Year One, Hush and Black Mirror were really good. I guess that makes me part of the minority in this thread which seems very focused on Marvel and DC super heroes?

we all love cape stuff but know Image & smaller pubs are the real truth

let us know how you like Fear Agent, it's one of my favorites

Busaiku

Archie was fantastic.
I was hesitant cause of Fiona Staples dropping off after it barely started, but Mark Waid really knocked it out of the park.

Jughead too good.

Oh god, Bendis.

Where did that page come from? It always sounded like Bendis' GotG was so flagrant and inflammatory that it erased any previous iterations of the characters completely.

That page...shouldn't exist.

But...if it does...then...

Why does it ever matter what Bendis is doing now?

PsychBat!

Banned
Batman #42, brehs

a real step up from the last issue.
Where did that page come from? It always sounded like Bendis' GotG was so flagrant and inflammatory that it erased any previous iterations of the characters completely.

GOD DAMN IT

I just knew Birdie would respond :p

Angst

The thing that frustrated me the most when trying to get into marvel and dc caped stuff is that I felt I needed an reader's companion to fully understand everything. When I started reading Y and DMZ it was so much easier with no 75 years of publication history to think of (some of which are canon and some not) and no cross-over stuff to think about.
just got measured for a new 3 piece black suit mmmm

we all love cape stuff but know Image & smaller pubs are the real truth

let us know how you like Fear Agent, it's one of my favorites
Will do. It's in my backlog now :)

Just read Red Hood and Arsenal #1-2

Let's get something out of the way first: this book is dumb. Really, really dumb. And the art is bad. Not really, really bad, but pretty bad. The first issue is cartoonish in a bad way, and the second is like somebody imitating Rocafort, but they've only ever heard the style described to them? So they're just sort of throwing high-detail stuff all over the place. And the eyebrows. My god, the eyebrows.

But despite all that, it's fun! Dumb (really, cannot be emphasized enough) fun, but fun nevertheless. The videogame stuff in the second issue made me chuckle, and the internal dialogue (while sometimes grating) was good for some more. Roy Harper and Jason Todd are losers, and this is a title that embraces that. Fully. Hell, even Scott Lobdell catches some flack, and he's writing the damn thing.

Let's get something out of the way first: this book is dumb. Really, really dumb. And the art is bad. Not really, really bad, but pretty bad. The first issue is cartoonish in a bad way, and the second is like somebody imitating Rocafort, but they've only ever heard the style described to them? So they're just sort of throwing high-detail stuff all over the place. And the eyebrows. My god, the eyebrows.

But despite all that, it's fun! Dumb (really, cannot be emphasized enough) fun, but fun nevertheless. The videogame stuff in the second issue made me chuckle, and the internal dialogue (while sometimes grating) was good for some more. Roy Harper and Jason Todd are losers, and this is a title that embraces that. Fully. Hell, even Scott Lobdell catches some flack, and he's writing the damn thing.

what if that comic was about red hood coaching an english football club

Don't get me wrong, like I said a couple of pages ago, I like Bendis and I do like a lot about his GotG, but I just wish it wasn't such a hard reset button at times. There are these moments where the continuity shifts are just silly, and I guess the fact that I just recently read all of this kind of makes it stick out that much more.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont know what to think of Kevin Smiths Spidey/Black Cat book.
He writes a great chemistry between the booth characters, but man, he is going to do horrible things to Felicia.

Owzers

sillymonkey321, when you make next month's thread, bring back Book of the Month so we know what to vote for

Noted. I was thinking about making August's Comics OT about cooking/recipes, i want to make this raspberry peach aqua fresca blendy thing i saw on tv and i think that would make for a good comics thread.

Don't get me wrong, like I said a couple of pages ago, I like Bendis and I do like a lot about his GotG, but I just wish it wasn't such a hard reset button at times. There are these moments where the continuity shifts are just silly, and I guess the fact that I just recently read all of this kind of makes it stick out that much more.

yeah i hear you
i dont always need to go so hard in the paint
but he got game is my favorite movie
so

Making your dad grab your comics is hilarious to me

Hey pops! Go and get me the freshest Archie from the funny books store will ya? I got a bum leg and a bad back

It's not all my comics just Archie. My parents live like 40 miles east of Fresno. He just happened to being going to the city today so it works out.

It's still kind of blowing my mind that Archie, of all properties, is going through some kind of renaissance. It's like... that's the newspaper print thing in the checkout line, with the town perpetually stuck in 1959.

And now? Now, all of a sudden, people are raving about it! Crazy.

my general thesis is this–Strange Fruit #1 could literally have been comics’ Second Coming of the Messiah and I would still think it shouldn’t have been made.

Whats that rowdy galleon pulling into port, dad?
Thatsa censor-ship, son!

That is not and will never be censorship. Calling it such is a complete misunderstanding of what censorship is.

I don't think Superman 64 should've been made.

Still not censorship.

I didn't think the art was bad although if you look up Denis Medri and Paolo Pantalena art on instagram they are way better than what they drew on these comics. Maybe there new to drawing sequential comics. But yeah like you said, this series is gonzo-ass craziness that just goes for it and honestly is what Lobdell does best. They fight killer mimes, KILLER MIMES! That shit sounds dumb but fuck it they know it. The video game references in #2 were really good. Also
"Ex-Robin Agnst Attack!" "Trucker Hat Attack!"
lol

I didn't think the art was bad although if you look up Denis Medri and Paolo Pantalena art on instagram they are way better than what they drew on these comics. Maybe there new to drawing sequential comics. But yeah like you said, this series is gonzo-ass craziness that just goes for it and honestly is what Lobdell does best. They fight killer mimes, KILLER MIMES! That shit sounds dumb but fuck it they know it. The video game references in #2 were really good. Also
"Ex-Robin Agnst Attack!" "Trucker Hat Attack!"
lol

It's super dumb, but it works! Because it exults in the dumbness. It has no pretensions to being clever.

Also, the exchange at the end of #2 is hilarious. "You think it sounds funny, but it just comes off as mean."

I'm looking forward to the next one more than I thought I would.

HOOOOLLLLYYYY FFFFUUUUCCCCK. that was extreme. Liefeld brings his patented puns and dramatic irony to good use. Operative Alpha gets the drop put on him in Tokyo. The Mcaguffin that drives this story is that thi villainess Anna has stoles his junk and is going to use it for some nefarious purpose to bring down Bloodstrike. This is one situation he won't be able to eat himself out of. Also, his junk looks like a slinkie or an earthworm after a summer rain shower.

pics pls

u promised fam

We need pictorial evidence

it's probably exactly what you think
PiG6BW4m.jpg

also yo this comic is MAD sexist, lmao. Don't get me wrong, I was expecting it (it's Liefeld!), but after reading it I was wondering if the dude was working out some feelings or something. Like, the main driving plotline is Not-Deadpool trying to get his dick back from his ex, who's constantly called a bitch. Also, Bloodwulf eats two sexualized naked ladies (lotta cannibalism too?!?). I will say though, this comic wasn't boring! Trashy as fuck, but not boring! But iirc the first pages of the Covenant that I read were more violent than most of the stuff in here, so i might have to move that one up on the list to compare with this, it'd be weird for the dude's bible comic to be more violent than the one called BLOODSTRIKE
HOOOOLLLLYYYY FFFFUUUUCCCCK. that was extreme. Liefeld brings his patented puns and dramatic irony to good use. Operative Alpha gets the drop put on him in Tokyo. The Mcaguffin that drives this story is that thi villainess Anna has stoles his junk and is going to use it for some nefarious purpose to bring down Bloodstrike. This is one situation he won't be able to eat himself out of. Also, his junk looks like a slinkie or an earthworm after a summer rain shower.
it is a BAD dick. did you have your Surge ready to go?

Furyous

Civil War 1

THIS IS FUCKING GREAT. I'm sitting here glued every week like it's the end of Naruto. Something tells me Osborn's coup and defeat was staged. If Steve and Tony called a truce at the meeting then everything would end.

LOL at this unofficial alternate take on Civil War. This makes me ready for the Spider-Island alternate take.

*EDIT*

Spider-Island alternate take

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! This isn't for me right now.

Civil War 1

THIS IS FUCKING GREAT. I'm sitting here glued every week like it's the end of Naruto. Something tells me Osborn's coup and defeat was staged. If Steve and Tony called a truce at the meeting then everything would end.

LOL at this unofficial alternate take on Civil War. This makes me ready for the Spider-Island alternate take.

*EDIT*

Spider-Island alternate take

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! This isn't for me right now.

please do this every week

I dont know what to think of Kevin Smiths Spidey/Black Cat book.
He writes a great chemistry between the booth characters, but man, he is going to do horrible things to Felicia.
Imagine reading that as it came out, and having it go on hiatus with that implied ending as your cliffhanger for the next five years.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So thanks to this thread and the main Secret Wars thread, I only got Spider Man Renew Your Vows #2 and Archie #1. Wasn't even thinking about Archie but wanted to get at least 2 comics from my LCS lol. Went in thinking Spidey, Civil War, and 1872 but didn't see many raving about them. That and I didn't see the Skottie Young variants which would have pushed me over the edge.

Just read The Walking Dead 144 today and holyshit Kirkman is pushing it to the edge now. That shock value got me hooked.

Is there not a general on GAF for the comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom