• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I'm looking at this Lone Wolf and Cub sale on comixology, and I feel like I need some advice. It looks classic and like I'd really get into it, but there's like thirty 300 page books here. Is it a good series to just buy a couple books from or something?

Busaiku

Depends on the publisher. Viz does 3in1s and VIZBIG, which is a slightly larger TPB with better page quality.

What's the hate for omnis over singles?
They're like impossible to read.
Solanin was like 400 pages, this is the worst among what I own.
Have some double volumes, but those suck too.

I was gonna get Tekkonkinkreet, but that's like 600 pages.

Veelk

Banned
Is Batman and Robin still going on, or did Tomasi go on to bigger and better things?

I've been meaning to get back into B&R since damien died, and now that Gordon is Batcop, it seems the ideal time since it'll be easier not to clash with Snyder's characterization. If it's an ended run, all the better, since I can just finish up and not have to worry about a continuing storyline.

They're like impossible to read.
Solanin was like 400 pages, this is the worst among what I own.
Have some double volumes, but those suck too.

I was gonna get Tekkonkinkreet, but that's like 600 pages.

How are they impossible to read? I was interesting in picking up the D.Gray-man 3in1s/omnis, but if they're trash I'll refrain from doing so.

So I'm looking at this Lone Wolf and Cub sale on comixology, and I feel like I need some advice. It looks classic and like I'd really get into it, but there's like thirty 300 page books here. Is it a good series to just buy a couple books from or something?

It is one of the best comics ever written.

That ain't hyperbole. It is right up there with Sandman.

Just..try to forget that the bechdel test is a thing that exists while reading it.

Samurai Executioner is also absurdly excellent.

I wouldn't really say so. While there are "procedural" arcs in there, it is also one long revenge story. And one of the greatest comics ever.

Owzers

I am a really big fan of your previous OTs, not gonna lie

And Umbrella Academy opens with an intro by Grant Morrison? That's a good sign for me.

Thanks! I barely remember my last OT...i think it was about comics, I still read those back then.

COMICS! lOTl August 2015. They still make these things?

Also, googling Umbrella Academy to see if i read that before I started to like Morrison i stumbled across yesterday's news:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/07/07/universal-cable-dark-horse-entertainment-set-first-look-deal/29813237/

Dark Horse TV deal, one of four projects is an Umbrella Academy tv show. Crazy times.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wouldn't really say so. While there are "procedural" arcs in there, it is also one long revenge story. And one of the greatest comics ever.

It is one of the best comics ever written.

That ain't hyperbole. It is right up there with Sandman.

Just..try to forget that the bechdel test is a thing that exists while reading it.

Samurai Executioner is also absurdly excellent.
Wow, thirty phone books of greatness, I guess. So between this, Concrete and Usagi Yojimbo sales I'll be giving comixology way too much of my money again. Just put Preacher and Hellblazer on sale again guys, please?

Wow, thirty phone books of greatness, I guess. So between this, Concrete and Usagi Yojimbo sales I'll be giving comixology way too much of my money again. Just put Preacher and Hellblazer on sale again guys, please?

Btw, the Akira books are also terrific.

I mean, since you in japanese phonebook mode.

All-Star Section 8 was not as good as the first issue, IMO. The art is fantastic and the story was solid but it lacked the humor the first issue had.

Due to the more compact nature of the books, you can't really get them open without damaging the spines.

What a crock. It's ridiculous they can't find an effective way to collect those things.

it does seem like a bunch of white dudes writing white dudes but it's gotten too much buzz for me not to pay attention to at this point

Mostly white dudes writing, but there are few ethnic characters: Dr. Mirage, Toyo Harada, Rai, Livewire, Shadowman.

ElNarez

Banned
All-Star Section 8 was not as good as the first issue, IMO. The art is fantastic and the story was solid but it lacked the humor the first issue had.

I dunno, it still had a joke about
Bueno Excellente's boner being so big it can raise a table off the ground
. I can respect that. I generally think Ennis got better at jokes too. It's still a good read.

TheStig88

Welp, shouldn't have been reading those TWD spoilers. Had no intention of picking it up until I stumbled across Vol. 1 at the library today and figured why not. I just know those spoilers are going to stick with me, they always do. If I could just have a redo that would be great. Also snagged Locke & Key Vol. 1 and Batman: Year One while I was there. Rather light selection, but there's a couple other libraries in the area to pillage still.

reading good comics and non-anime avatars...AND dat new job?

This is the start of the new you, Rave my boy
mjcry1.png

If it makes you feel any better Comixology was being slow so I stopped reading and now I'm about to watch anime

Zombine

Banned
Coriolanus is added to my list of good company because he at least knows there's some badass balls to the walls non-moe manga that is worth any American comic reader's time. Check out Vagabond too if you haven't already.

ed6f2c2c03f5b98fbbea0fc50e78367b.jpg

Straight into my veins.

Coriolanus is added to my list of good company because he at least knows there's some badass balls to the walls non-moe manga that is worth any American comic reader's time. Check out Vagabond too if you haven't already.

ed6f2c2c03f5b98fbbea0fc50e78367b.jpg

Straight into my veins.

This looks insanely good

Owzers

omg Cooke style figures

DAY 0 on Harley

supergirl's smile kinda creeps me out, i want to see what they look like for real too, I've been kinda bummed out by concept to actual production on figures. Her pets look great.... *tosses figure out and keeps pets*

Straight into my veins.

I've been around the block with anime and manga, but I've never heard of this before you mentioned the VIZBIGs.

Shit looks cash as fuck.

Zombine

Banned
This looks insanely good

It is. Believe me, I'm not into that Moe Magic Girl whatever garbage myself, but there are mangaka out there that say "fuck it" to what's selling and make story's that they care about, and generally those stories are metal as fuck. Berserk, Vagabond, Gangsta, Wolfsmund, Vinland Saga, ect. are masterfully drawn and violent as fuck.

Owzers

This is a real problem.

I don't pre-order anything anymore, if it comes to amazon i will look at the actual photos people take of the figures after release and judge. Also amazon will let me return paint flaw statue stuff i think :/ Only dcbs thing i have on order is Batwoman Bombshell.

Also:

Not allowed to be photographed:

Lex Luthor Icons Statue
Bruce Timm Wonder Woman Art of War Statue

Bruce Timm wonder woman statue i do want to see this....

Yerp, read Vagabond. Actually bore a grudge on the book for years because i jumped into it straight after reading Yoshikawa's book. Can't deny how solid it is, tho.

This looks insanely good

Takehiko Inoue is one of the best artists alive. It looks that good consistently.

It is. Believe me, I'm not into that Moe Magic Girl whatever garbage myself, but there are mangaka out there that say "fuck it" to what's selling and make story's that they care about, and generally those stories are metal as fuck. Berserk, Vagabond, Gangsta, Wolfsmund, Vinland Saga, ect. are masterfully drawn and violent as fuck.
Yeah, I need to get back into good-ass manga again. Vinland Saga was on my radar for a bit, I should get on that now that i have $$ and that more collections out
Takehiko Inoue is one of the best artists alive. It looks that good consistently.
I've heard that name! *googles* yeah I think I read some of Slam Dunk, that was p cool but i think i'd be into this even more

Zombine

Banned
Yerp, read Vagabond. Actually bore a grudge on the book for years because i jumped into it straight after reading Yoshikawa's book. Can't deny how solid it is, tho.

Because you're so into Berserk, check out Wolfsmund. Mitsuhisha Kuji apprenticed under Muira and was the assistant illustrator
on Berserk. She's a badass Mangaka and really stuck to what he taught her.

ookami-no-kuchi-wolfsmund-4898389.jpg

ookami-no-kuchi-wolfsmund-5374265.jpg

Speaking of MANga, I need to get Batmanga volume 2 since that came out today. I'll probably order it along with Hellboy Library Edition 3, the first BPRD book, and Prison School volume 1 in a few weeks.

Because you're so into Berserk, check out Wolfsmund. Mitsuhisha Kuji apprenticed under Muira and was the assistant illustrator
on Berserk. She's a badass Mangaka and really stuck to what he taught her.

I'm caught up on wolfsmund. Also already read mugen no juunin.

Wolfsmund: for when you think other authors kill too many characters.

My current infatuation is with takemitsuzamurai, fwiw. Experimental art, but dear gods that thing is pure folklore.

hnnng

Zombine

Banned
Speaking of MANga, I need to get Batmanga volume 2 since that came out today. I'll probably order it along with Hellboy Library Edition 3, the first BPRD book, and Prison School volume 1 in a few weeks.

I'm a little irritated that the initial printing of vol 1 doesn't match vol 2 of Batmanga.

Wolfsmund: for when you think other authors kill too many characters.

Wolfsmund: when you feel like being depressed for 300 pages

Messi

I don't pre-order anything anymore, if it comes to amazon i will look at the actual photos people take of the figures after release and judge. Also amazon will let me return paint flaw statue stuff i think :/ Only dcbs thing i have on order is Batwoman Bombshell.

Also:

Not allowed to be photographed:

Lex Luthor Icons Statue
Bruce Timm Wonder Woman Art of War Statue

Bruce Timm wonder woman statue i do want to see this....

So buying.....please don't be terrible when you exist for real.

Also a Capullo wonder woman figure not allowed to be photoed. Hope.

I love both of those dudes work so I need to see these and will likely buy. Love the art of war series.

Bloodember

Well I read

Ultimate End #3, not sure what's going on there yet, and its not all that great so far, will keep reading it though.

1872 #1, not to bad.

Age of Apocalypse #1, this was good, really like it, and the art was awesome.

Just have Civil War #1 yet to read.

Sorry for reading comics, I know its frowned on.

mattiewheels

A lot to process in this DH sale.

Anybody here read Finder? Looks great but never heard of it.

Occasionally, I make cutesy comics about me and my wife.

I have the first 5 Vizbig volumes of Vagabond. I've only read half of the first one but I thumb through them often for drawing inspiration.

Gorgeous stuff

arkon

Read the Spire. Well worth the wait. Expected nothing less from Spurrier and Stokely. Lots of interesting stuff chucked in that first issue that I expect them to play with going forward. I liked some of the lettering choices too. Like the whispered asides and under-the-breath mutterings being in smaller grey text in the balloons. Adds that little bit extra to a scene.

Was surprised to see
them kill off the rhyming criminal as that seemed one of the most Spurrier characters in the book and one I can easily imagine him enjoying writing dialogue for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom