• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot95

Neo Member
New Batman was sick. That was the only comic I got today. I did grab They're Not Like Us Vol. 1 at the shop though. Read the first issue for free on CMX and was interested enough to pay that low price of $9.99

Owzers

Finished Monsters! because there are no words to get in my way, who needs that kind of distraction in their comics? I liked the second story, Birds, the best out of three, I thought it was charmingly weird and I like how it unraveled. I'd give it a solid random 7, a bit higher into the random 8s if i had liked the first and third story more.

Just read The Walking Dead 144 today and holyshit Kirkman is pushing it to the edge now. That shock value got me hooked.
Is there not a general on GAF for the comics?

I was gonna argue that there's not much point in doing something like that for a thing that comes out once a month, but then it dawned on me that it's a far more consistent output than Berserk :(

Zombine

Banned
I was gonna argue that there's not much point in doing something like that for a thing that comes out once a month, but then it dawned on me that it's a far more consistent output than Berserk :(

Walking Dead is Bi-weekly now :)

Berserk's schedule is worse than Hawkeye and Sandman combined.

But staying on topic of Walking Dead, I'm working on an indepth Spoiler OT that'll be pretty stellar. I have to make a few updates to the character list after this issue though. :/

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Anybody familiar with Jeff Dekal's work? His commissions are gorgeous. He's in Florida. Hit him up Messi!

Once my birthday rolls around, Im jumping fully onboard Mignolaverse and buying every library edition.

You're right. There are so many panels in Marvel/DC that are just there. They're functional and still look good because of the skill of the artist, but they could do better.

right below

Great. I've saved it for when I finally get money to spend this friday. How much time are you putting in per day to make it? Two months per issue is pretty quick.

Yes. I think so too. There was a great round up some months ago where Declan Shalvey talked about the way he approaches action. Im gonna try to look it up but it was a while back.

sonofa-

ahem

how many rods/rails are you looking to have drawn, good sir?

Im always impressed with his work, but his character resemblence is really good. Amazing how he manages to pull it off within his own style. Masterclass artist.

Aja is too good. I look forward to seeing him draw about 3 more issues of anything before he dies.

Two months is me being EXTREMELY optimistic. More than likely, it will be a few months between issues. The writing has been done for a bit, but it's the pencilling, inking, coloring, and lettering that's taking the longest. It usually takes me a few days to do one page. Each issue is 22 pages. Coloring and lettering goes much faster, especially once I've decided on the color palette for the scene, and I do the lettering in Manga Studio (as well as pencils and inks), which is incredibly easy, and I just import the finished colors from Photoshop into Manga Studio, and do the lettering that way and export the pages.)

I have a pretty good work flow down. I usually devote a few hours a day if I can to producing the penciled and inked pages. I'm currently inking page 3 (I'm redrawing pages 1 and 2, as they were frustrating me, so I moved on to page 3 instead. Lol)

Just read The Walking Dead 144 today and holyshit Kirkman is pushing it to the edge now. That shock value got me hooked.

Is there not a general on GAF for the comics?

This IS the OT :O

I just remembered that I think I have the first volume of Walking Dead and I haven't read it. Humble Bundles for comics are dangerous. I remember I got the Boom bundle just for Six Gun Gorilla so I have all this extra shit in my account.

If I can get someone to contribute their photoshop skillz to the cause the OT will be up by Sunday night.

I'd offer but I have a feeling I'll be drained by then. Psych would probably be up for it I'm sure.

And all this talk of sillymonkey doing the next OT... I think I should do it.

it's probably exactly what you think
PiG6BW4m.jpg

also yo this comic is MAD sexist, lmao. Don't get me wrong, I was expecting it (it's Liefeld!), but after reading it I was wondering if the dude was working out some feelings or something. Like, the main driving plotline is Not-Deadpool trying to get his dick back from his ex, who's constantly called a bitch. Also, Bloodwulf eats two sexualized naked ladies (lotta cannibalism too?!?). I will say though, this comic wasn't boring! Trashy as fuck, but not boring! But iirc the first pages of the Covenant that I read were more violent than most of the stuff in here, so i might have to move that one up on the list to compare with this, it'd be weird for the dude's bible comic to be more violent than the one called BLOODSTRIKE

it is a BAD dick. did you have your Surge ready to go?
Just got two cases in this week actually!

Well, it's a good thing I contact IST customer service about my Aphrodite IX Complete copy. Sounds like there had been a mix-up on sending it a week ago in the system so it was listed as shipped but not actually shipped. So now it's actually shipped. Shipped shipped.

The Walking Dead
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Well, every comic needs
a culling of characters who have outlived their plotlines
now and then.

Well, it's a good thing I contact IST customer service about my Aphrodite IX Complete copy. Sounds like there had been a mix-up on sending it a week ago in the system so it was listed as shipped but not actually shipped. So now it's actually shipped. Shipped shipped.

Glad to hear it.

My word, the more i experience Valiant, the more i see that that ressurection article was Pure Truth. All these writers, all these artists. None of them sound familiar to me, but every single one is putting out good stuff. Moneyball indeed.

Early bloodshot could very well pass for an Avatar Press title, tho.

I dunno, guys. Manga gave us monster girls. What did comics ever give us?

Bloodstrike.

Cheska

Shutter was sooo good. Leila del Duca's art is simply gorgeous, and the color, especially how it was used to represent
Venice
was perfect. I do have a question for those who read todays issue, is this the first time they've brought up Kate's
sexuality? I'm assuming the cowboy at the end was her ex girlfriend?

Archie was so good.

Well, every comic needs
a culling of characters who have outlived their plotlines
now and then.

You got a problem with the way Kirkman does things? Huh!? DO YA!?

My word, the more i experience Valiant, the more i see that that ressurection article was Pure Truth. All these writers, all these artists. None of them sound familiar to me, but every single one is putting out good stuff. Moneyball indeed.

I have not read Bloodshot, so I can't comment on that, but I'm glad you're enjoying Valiant in general.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
eyeshield 21 is the only manga that didn't look absolutely terrible to me

still need to finish that....

what article?

i've got x-o manowar 1-18, bloodshot 1-8 and harbinger 1-8 all loaded up

gonna hit the beach Friday with my wife and some pot and get my Valiant on

pretty pumped

Busaiku

Single volumes are so much better than omnibuses.
Whenever a company announces 2 or 3 volume books, my interest automatically drops.

Thank Doom Viz didn't go stupid and is releasing One Punch Man properly, despite the late release.

Booo
why is manga rarely collected and why is it so commonly printed on the worst of paper at a miniscule size

why cant I have manga OHC like Nausicaa more often

Depends on the publisher. Viz does 3in1s and VIZBIG, which is a slightly larger TPB with better page quality.

Single volumes are so much better than omnibuses.
Whenever a company announces 2 or 3 volume books, my interest automatically drops.

Thank Doom Viz didn't go stupid and is releasing One Punch Man properly, despite the late release.

What's the hate for omnis over singles?

what article?
i've got x-o manowar 1-18, bloodshot 1-8 and harbinger 1-8 all loaded up
gonna hit the beach Friday with my wife and some pot and get my Valiant on
pretty pumped

Meet baller dudes doing baller stuff. Sausagefest though it may currently be, it is working.

I havent started on harbinger yet. Looks too much like filthy muties to me, so i'm saving it for later.

Booo
why is manga rarely collected and why is it so commonly printed on the worst of paper at a miniscule size
filthy lucre + tiny asian hands, i guess.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So you guys weren't kidding about Archie #1. Pretty fun read and this is the first time I've ever read Archie. Also Renew your Vows was amazing. Can't wait what they do with Peter's Daughter
and excited to see what powers she has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom