• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

Yo...

tumblr_mkn2q0iuZN1sn5l9uo1_500.jpg
So it really is him?
So is he gonna be the new Thanos.

Read the Spire. Well worth the wait. Expected nothing less from Spurrier and Stokely. Lots of interesting stuff chucked in that first issue that I expect them to play with going forward. I liked some of the lettering choices too. Like the whispered asides and under-the-breath mutterings being in smaller grey text in the balloons. Adds that little bit extra to a scene.

Was surprised to see
them kill off the rhyming criminal as that seemed one of the most Spurrier characters in the book and one I can easily imagine him enjoying writing dialogue for.

One hand,
I'm happy oldey-timey rhyming man was kept as a one-issue wonder, a bit of flavor(antik-speak) that suggest a larger world. On the other hand, I loved him :(

Tizoc

It is. Believe me, I'm not into that Moe Magic Girl whatever garbage myself, but there are mangaka out there that say "fuck it" to what's selling and make story's that they care about, and generally those stories are metal as fuck. Berserk, Vagabond, Gangsta, Wolfsmund, Vinland Saga, ect. are masterfully drawn and violent as fuck.

You should def. give Otoyomegatari/A Bride's Tale a read, fantastic art in that one, and the story's really nice.

I'm gonna need to make a list of all the recommendations on the last page. All that I've nabbed so far is Lone Wolf & Cub vol. 1. I'm excited to read it.

Some good looking books there, guys.

i really enjoyed the new archie. love the redesigns of betty, reggie and archie especially. also the ferris bueller-esque narration really works for the character.

it's kind of weird how gangster jughead looks though, if he got rid of the hat he'd look like the toughest kid in the school.

i really enjoyed the new archie. love the redesigns of betty, reggie and archie especially. also the ferris bueller-esque narration really works for the character.

it's kind of weird how gangster jughead looks though, if he got rid of the hat he'd look like the toughest kid in the school.

Jughead was always dat dude tho, tbh

1894898-jughea9.jpg

Viewtiful I have serious question to ask you-
Have you read Blaster Knuckle?

Now that right there is some intractable writing stuff.

I tried to have a go at it right after Me and the Devil Blues. Didn't go well.

Still can't believe that the same dude that wrote MatDB does ButtPlanet, aka Prison School.

Should have added the ridiculous lines that they have in those. Every time I find a good video, there are these premises that just make me laugh out loud. lol

Btw, what are the digital prices?

haha I think the show is mostly bad but my wife loves it for its lewdness

I tried looking up an actual scene and found one but it was dubbed in russian or something. Otherwise I would have put the actual dialogue in there. I felt like I did a pretty good job approximating it though!

Re: digital prices Ill send you a pm in a bit

She didn't notice that you were talking about his? Those are a clear 10/10
I agree. But my wife is harsh in judgement

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty sure that's from when Black Fury thought it would be a great idea to drop the scientist he'd been tormenting for years on the scientist he'd been tormenting for years.

Actually it wasn't Fury, it was the USA president, and Maker nuked Washington in return.

Man screw Reed and screw Doom, I want Maker to come out of SW unscathed

Actually it wasn't Fury, it was the USA president, and Maker nuked Washington in return.

Man screw Reed and screw Doom, I want Maker to come out of SW unscathed

Iirc the prez wuz the one that gave the order to try to nuke the city from orbit. Dropping a hulk on it was Fury's standard modus operandi.

But you're the one reading it right now so i defer to you.

Btw, fair warning: when you see the conclusion to that arc you'll rage. hard.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Iirc the prez wuz the one that gave the order to try to nuke the city from orbit. Dropping a hulk on it was Fury's standard modus operandi.

But you're the one reading it right now so i defer to you.

Btw, fair warning: when you see the conclusion to that arc you'll rage. hard.

If you mean issue 12 then it's coming up. What was the other ones I had to read again? 28+ right?

fuck. Archie was SO GOOD. Sucks that Staples is only on for 3 issues. It's mean, actually. I guess i have to read that sci-fi comic she does now

Tizoc

MANGA!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Yup, it's called Blaster Knuckle, 3 volumes long.

Now that right there is some intractable writing stuff.

I tried to have a go at it right after Me and the Devil Blues. Didn't go well.

Still can't believe that the same dude that wrote MatDB does ButtPlanet, aka Prison School.

Lol rreally? I only have Vol. 1 and 2 of Devil Blues, I should track down the remaining volumes.

Blaster Knuckle's fan translation may seem outdated nowadays, but kudos to those that translated it so people can experience the badassness of a black man blowing up KKK
and vampires

I just read it as if it were Berserk but in late 18th century america and enjoyed it for that :p

Rhaknar

...sentient tumour. Whut?

What the fuck was that bullshit ending Hickman? That was awful :/

eyeshield 21 is the only manga that didn't look absolutely terrible to me

still need to finish that....

Just wanted to say that Eyeshield 21 is pretty legit. You should get on that.

Anyway, Comics!

I just read Infinite Crisis for the first time. It was fun. Last 20 or so pages are just nonstop madness and punching and explosions and I sort of lost track of things? But other than that, pretty enjoyable. I now more fully appreciate the "they forgot about me" bit from the '06 Blue Beetle series, because Jaime straight up vanished after they found Brother Eye. Cold.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Crazy day at work, but I finally had time for comics.

Archie was greeeeeaaaaaat! It will be a shame to lose Staples, but I'll probably keep checking it out as long as Waid is bringing that A game.

Runaways was all right, still a little too much set up for my tastes, but it was all saved for me when
they got their own Leapfrog

1872 was a bit disappointing, but I loved that they named the town
Timely
and Red Wolf isn't that offensive so far, so high hopes for him coming to 616.

Still got some books to read, Batman's at the top of the list.

Nope, just checked. He co-wrote 10, 11 and 12 with Hickman.

Whenever a writer suddenly gets a co writer on a marvel title it means they handed off their notes and the new co writer is the guy who is actually writing it. You can tell since the quality of the title took a huge dive when Humphreys came on.

Whenever a writer suddenly gets a co writer on a marvel title it means they handed off their notes and the new co writer is the guy who is actually writing it. You can tell since the quality of the title took a huge dive when Humphreys came on.

So true.

Same thing happened to Uncanny Avengers. Duggan was credited as co-writer for one of the last issues and now he's handling the series post-SW.

PsychBat!

Banned

Yup. the huge deus ex machina introduced in that issue was just head scratching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom