• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, anyone who is at SDCC this weekend and wants to pick me up one of the plush Krypto superpets toys drop me a PM.

Look at this guy, he's great!

plus my wife really wants one and it'd be a great surprise

OMG that is awesome. If anyone else wants to pick one up for some one I would be very happy if you did. That is so fucking awesome.

Straight from NYT best selling author... Mark Waid!

CBR: There are many talented black comic creators out there, Mark. Why are you, an old ass CAC supreme, writing this book?

Axel Alonso: Let me answer this one, Mark. It all comes back to the pizza analogy. We've got a certain amount of flavors going around Marvel that people love, and a couple we haven't tried yet. We could put say, some BLACK olives on there, but we don't know how that's gonna taste. We could hate it! So we went with something predictable that we KNOW we're gonna like. Especially on a new book like this, you want to step forward with your best and biggest creative names...or pizza flavors in this case *laughs*.

CBR: There are many talented black comic creators out there, Mark. Why are you, an old ass CAC supreme, writing this book?

Axel Alonso: Let me answer this one, Mark. It all comes back to the pizza analogy. We've got a certain amount of flavors going around Marvel that people love, and a couple we haven't tried yet. We could put say, some BLACK olives on there, but we don't know how that's gonna taste. We could hate it! So we went with something predictable that we KNOW we're gonna like. Especially on a new book like this, you want to step forward with your best and biggest creative names...or pizza flavors in this case *laughs*.

Mark-Wahlberg-Confused-In-The-Happening.gif

tim1138

06fa638adb5542d13258ab3c20fb3ed2.gif

I laugh but sadly this isn't too far from reality

So did DC announce who is on Lucifer?

"Lucifer" #1 by Holly Black and Lee Garbett

Here's a small interview with them.
Has spoilers from Hellblazer
LUCIFER

Any hint as to who the suspects are, biblically? Names we’d know?

Black : Well, the first name we will know isn’t so much a suspect as the former angel charged to solve the murder of The Presence — Gabriel.

I really loved Gabriel’s story line from “Hellblazer.” He ended up with his heart crushed and being sent to Hell as a mortal — which meant he was still in play. I was interested in the idea of forcing he and Lucifer to investigate a murder together. Gabriel knows Lucifer in a way that few other beings do, as a brother. And Gabriel has plenty of reasons to hate him, so there’s a lot of interesting tension. Yet, they also have a common cause.

Garbett: Yeah, that’s going to be a really strong aspect of the first arc, I think. The friction between the main characters, the mistrust and bad blood. I love drawing emotional beats and body language, so I’m really looking forward to portraying that dynamic in the artwork. That and all the magic, demons and horror.

With it being an ongoing series, will the God killer be a running theme as other matters come up, or is this just the first arc?

Black: The murderer will be discovered by the end of the first arc, but the answer may create more questions.

What’s life like for Lucifer on the road? What sort of car does he drive? What’s his favorite state besides California?

Black: Lucifer drives a white convertible with the top always down, even in rainstorms. I imagine that there’s no place where Lucifer doesn’t feel perfectly at home, but I suspect he has a preference for old cities, cities with layers.

Garbett: L.A.’s glitzy veneer, dark underbelly and even darker past is a perfect fit for Lucifer – but he pretty much owns any space he’s in, or certainly plays it that way.

What sort of odd-couple-on-the-road type moments will we be dealing with?

Black: One of the most fun parts of writing this has been sending Lucifer to familiar places, where things have changed in his absence. Some people are happy to have him back, many are less so. Writing Gabriel and Lucifer’s return to Hell was one of my favorite bits because of the way they play off each other.

Garbett: I can’t wait to get to that. The balance of light and dark in Holly’s script is one of the things that’s so fantastic about her Lucifer. Along with the genuine sense of weight and drama, you get these very cool character moments, with great dialogue that just really puts the flesh on the bones of the world. I started reading issue No. 1 and was totally hooked.

Axel: and in terms of diversity, we liken ourselves to the American staple of a chocolate chip cookie. You might lean over, snatch one up, examine it and say hey, this doesn't have too many chocolate chips, I think I'll try this one since I'm watching my diet. But when you bite into that cookie, you realize there were all these chocolate chips that you couldn't see on the surface and you begin to enjoy it more. We like our distinguished competition to a brownie. They see what we are baking down the street, or should I say across the country [laughs]. And so they rush to put together a product full of chocolate. And you find fans only like the corner pieces of those brownies because they are crisp. And who knows what is in the those brownies? I'm sure they lead to some of our distinguished competition's ridiculous ideas [laughs]

A female Blade, eh? If they really wanted to shake things up they should have contacted Wimberly about his Blade pitch... it would have been more unique than the now-predictable gender-swapping Marvel's addicted to. And this is coming from someone who absolutely wants more female/PoC characters/titles.

"Blade must come to terms with her new day job at the trendy but hectic offices of an up and coming urban news website and her immortal promise of hunting vampires. On top of all of this she shares an office with a mysterious and enigmatic coworker, Bill. Can the daywalker balance her personal life and take care of a few vampires along the way? Ones thing for sure, this one can blush. Fall 2015"

Let's hope they don't do something like this lmao. reminds me of how lazy the black canary #1 writing felt in order to let her stick with the rock band premise (a shame since the Art is so good)

"Blade must come to terms with her new day job at the trendy but hectic offices of an up and coming urban news website and her immortal promise of hunting vampires. On top of all of this she shares an office with a mysterious and enigmatic coworker, Bill. Can the daywalker balance her personal life and take care of a few vampires along the way? Ones thing for sure, this one can blush. Fall 2015"

Thiking how they could spike sales for something as ridiculous as that, the answer was obvious: spider-man love interest tie-in.

Then a question arose: has Peter ever been romantically involved with a black person?

According to the nerds at comicvine, nope.

Research did yield this panel, tho.
Hold that L, Richards.

I remember reading a story in the "kid friendly" Spider-Man UK comic back in the day where Sue got pissy with Reed and Namor fighting over her so she went on a date with Spider-Man to make them both jealous. Spidey made a mess of it by going for pizza and getting covered in bits of melted cheese.

Owzers

I like comic books today. I read East of West #5 out of my stack and it was okay, but best of all the floppy series has white covers that i don't have to worry about getting any splotch splotches on from my thumbs while holding it. The world is coming together a bit more but i'm stilling leaning to Manhattan Projects being the stronger of the two Hickman recent Image books. I think the book takes too much for granted jumping into things and Death's immediate journey isn't quite good enough to excuse it.

I keep thinking I'm done buying things in the Dark Horse sale, then I go back and buy a ton more

The difference between steam sales and digital comic sales is that I actually, and i know this sounds weird, eventually read most of the comics i buy. Although not buying 45 floppies a month has also helped me to be able to start on the backlog.

"Lucifer" #1 by Holly Black and Lee Garbett

Here's a small interview with them.
Has spoilers from Hellblazer

In.

I wouldn't mind waiting if it hadn't have already been 3 years and his job is only going to get busier. Should just collaborate with Parker.

Just let Parker do his thing. Geoff isn't doing anything with him.

Yes as stated repeatedly, Peter is no slouch in the looks.

He is an everyman with his responibilites. Nothing else.

That's why I always laugh when people bring up Peter as being some nerdy dude. He has women throwing themselves at him.

Did the issues people were mentioning with the Dark Horse books on comixology get fixed? Something about the splash pages being messed up I think.

Busaiku

Why would they launch a book called Spidey.
Couldn't they just have used Peter Parker again.

The image is too blurry for me, can anyone recognize the artist?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So with that new Vertigo book by Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke, who'd be doing the art? Cooke I guess? I love Beto's art very much, but I may be alone there.

PsychBat!

Banned
Is this an age of Marvel we're cautiously optimistic going in? Or are we still most of these are boring status?

I'm not being snarky, there are still too few books that I'm really excited about.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Is this an age of Marvel we're cautiously optimistic going in? Or are we still most of these are boring status?

I'm not being snarky, there are still too few books that I'm really excited about.

I'm on the same page. There's a couple things that I'm excited for, but most of it looks bland at best.

tim1138

I think one or two look good but the rest of the line looks like so much Marvel Unlimited fodder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom