• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Max Landis is everything I hate about Hollywood shaped into a tooth pick looking human.
What if Kevin Smith were born the privileged son of a Hollywood director? What if he also exemplified the worst qualities of the millennial generation? What if the height of his creativity consisted of rehashes, mash-ups and hackneyed twists of better writers' work?

I gotta say, the response to the ANAD Mahvel lineup sort of goes a long way towards explaining why the industry is as insular as it is. I mean, it's one thing to be unexcited for books from known, crappy talents, but the idea that unknowns == boring is telling.

Not trying to call anybody out btw, just interesting.

Messi

AV-my-name-is-pearl-cropped.jpg

Yeah. Pearl is amazing.

What if Kevin Smith were born the privileged son of a Hollywood director? What if he also exemplified the worst qualities of the millennial generation? What if the height of his creativity consisted of rehashes, mash-ups and hackneyed twists of better writers' work?

I love you.

PsychBat!

Banned
Just a status update. I'm okay now. There's a good amount of stuff I want to see thanks to SDCC. Thank you for all of your support. To the old and new members here, it's gonna be a good year.

STAR WARS STEVEN UNIVERSE SECRET WARS ASH VS EVIL DEAD ANT MAN

Owzers

Just a status update. I'm okay now. There's a good amount of stuff I want to see thanks to SDCC. Thank you for all of your support. To the old and new members here, it's gonna be a good year.

Ash vs Evil Dead...finally a reason to not hate my cable package having Starz.

Zombine

Banned

And sit ups

Glad to hear your doing fine.

Did you get my package?

MG310

IST order is coming tomorrow already...they seem to have reduced the upgrade price too, only 1.50 to upgrade to Fedex Ground.

Also Kabuki must be a beast...10.5 lb. box for 3 books.

Messi

On my trip over here I finally sat down and read volume 1 of Low. HOLY.FUCKING.SHIT. What an absolutely stunning book from beginning to end. I am fully invested in this world and its characters. I felt pure sadness, rage, excitement and happiness. This is why I read comics. I was left itching for more but with how well this trade read I think I will keep with the trade waiting. It feels like a great conclusion to the first part of the story but leaves a hook out there that you want to follow.
The world feels alive, parts of the world feel seedy and dirty and pushing stels eternal optimism into that setting is really facinating. I love that she just won't give up in the face of ever increasing odds. She always believes.
Oh man the art. I know this art is love it or hate it but I absolutely LOVE the art. It has such a great sense of style and it is so colorful. The design of Stel and her son and daughter are really great (story spoilers from here on out)
and the outfits that Stel and her daughter are forced to wear infuriated me.

It is so rare that a book actually angers me but I hate Roln. He is an absolute piece of shit. Having Stels daughter refer to him as her father disgusted me. He is a villain that just gives off this massive air of arrogance that when he finally gets what is coming to him (and oh boy does he get what is coming to him) it is a massive fist pump moment. I smiling from ear to ear.

I cannot wait for more. Thank you to Zombeen for reminding me to read it. This arc is going straight into my fav comic volumes.

Messi

Low is absolutely great.

Sounds like Remender found Messi's buttons, and pushed them all simultaneously.

Low, Deadly Class and Black Science are all incredible. His work for Image is so good.

How is The Last Days of American Crime?

Vyer

Low, Deadly Class and Black Science are all incredible. His work for Image is so good.

That's actually one I haven't read. But since I like all the other stuff I can't imagine it isn't awesome.

COMICS |OT| August 2015. Here for you.

Oh wait I forgot I didn't send you any comics.

I received your copy of Seed of Destruction today. Thank you! Im gonna go through it this weekend.

Last Days is excellent. First thing I read from Remender. Then Frankencastle

I'm fucking stoked for this. Jeff Lemire writing a book, drawn by Ramos, with Storm leading? Day fucking one.
if I've read a book with Ramos drawing it in the last decade, it is almost always because the writing is strong. His work does nothing for me. He was good on Spider-Man when he was with Jenkins.

Now tell me how excited are you to see Land on X-Men

That's actually one I haven't read. But since I like all the other stuff I can't imagine it isn't awesome.

Last Days of American Crime is actually getting a reissue in hardcover. It was supposed to be out this month but got pushed back to mid-August.

I received your copy of Seed of Destruction today. Thank you! Im gonna go through it this weekend.
Great! Sorry about the binding though. You can probably fix it with some glue but its still readable. If you do like it I recommend you get the Library Edition.
If the art speaks quality:

55418900.jpg

Tocchini is good. Can't wait for the hardcover.

Messi

I keep telling people Low is clearly Remenders best image book. Glad to see maybe messi has joined my camp

IMO it is neck and neck with Deadly Class. Before reading it I had an idea in my head what low was about but I was totally wrong lol.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You know what book isn't good?

Wicked + Divine.

It's a book that seems like I should like it, and maybe even seems like it's pretty good.

But I can't fucking keep any of the damn characters straight, nor can I tell why there are so many of them when practically all of them read like the exact same character.

It's just.. blah.

Owzers

Wicked + Divine.

It's a book that seems like I should like it, and maybe even seems like it's pretty good.

But I can't fucking keep any of the damn characters straight, nor can I tell why there are so many of them when practically all of them read like the exact same character.

It's just.. blah.

*snaps fingers*

I should have abandoned it after the first issue of the second arc but i went all the way to #11. It's dead to me and Ed made the art to prove it.

Wicked + Divine.

It's just.. blah.
I liked it at first but was kinda over it after a few issues. Not for me.

Veelk

Banned

Wicked + Divine.

It's just.. blah.

Yeah, pretty much. I read the first issue and I was like "Oh fuck, Gods in modern day, this is my shit"

Like you said, every character reads in a very similar way. And I dislike the main character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom