• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Watching Community Season 5... My god, what have they done???

A lot of shows begin to fail during their later seasons because the characters that the actors are portraying become "self-aware" and try to act like how they think the audience thinks they want them to be. Not to mention that creative eventually runs out of steam as well.

Then you get amazing shows like My Name Is Earl that jump the shark in the best possible batshit insane ways possible.

Zombine

Banned
I really thought that the market scene in Hellboy II was the absolute peak of conventional effects. I'm glad that I was wrong.

I am just at episode 2 and its horrible.
It feels so different than all the seasons so far...

You liked season 4 or did you skip it? That's the only one I'd consider bad, and really just because of how different it was.

Also, "Cooperative Polygraphy" is one of the best episodes of the series.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You liked season 4 or did you skip it? That's the only one I'd consider bad, and really just because of how different it was.

Also, "Cooperative Polygraphy" is one of the best episodes of the series.
I didnt liked the fourth season but loved the Multiverse Episode.
But this one is far worser so far.

I didnt liked the fourth season but loved the Multiverse Episode.
But this one is far worser so far.

Jeez, idk man, I thought season 5 was really good. Season 6, despite the first few episodes being just okay, really captured the spirit of the first seasons, so at least look forward to that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Like it my head, its set to "can't not work"

like Axis after Uncanny X-Force / Avengers then

giphy.gif

I haven't even considered the idea of the Force Awakens being bad. Like it my head, its set to "can't not work"

At worst I'm expecting it to repeat Jurassic World. An ok movie that relies a lot on nostalgia bombs.

I don't think Disney will release a bad movie. They're playing it safe as much as they can.

Guess the Eisners were boring this year. Not much talk about them. Stand out for me is Gene Luen Yang winning best writer. Hopefully his Superman run is great.

Guess the Eisners were boring this year. Not much talk about them. Stand out for me is Gene Luen Yang winning best writer. Hopefully his Superman run is great.
Here are some winners/nominations and a couple thoughts

Best Continuing Series

Astro City, by Kurt Busiek & Brent Anderson (Vertigo)
Bandette, by Paul Tobin & Colleen Coover (Monkeybrain)
Hawkeye, by Matt Fraction, David Aja, & Annie Wu (Marvel)
Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples (Image)
Southern Bastards, by Jason Aaron & Jason Latour (Image)
The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, & Stefano Gaudiano (Image/Skybound)

We all like Saga, but I feel like Southern Bastards is absolutely nailing it and should have won

Best Limited Series

Daredevil: Road Warrior, by Mark Waid & Peter Krause (Marvel Infinite Comics)
Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland, by Eric Shanower & Gabriel Rodriguez (IDW)
The Multiversity, by Grant Morrison et al. (DC)
The Private Eye, by Brian K. Vaughan & Marcos Martin (Panel Syndicate)
The Sandman: Overture, by Neil Gaiman & J. H. Williams III (Vertigo/DC)

Never read Little Nemo. I would have expected Sandman Overture to win tbh

Best New Series

The Fade Out, by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips (Image)
Lumberjanes, by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Noelle Stevenson, & Brooke A. Allen (BOOM! Box)
Ms. Marvel, by G. Willow Wilson & Adrian Alphona (Marvel)
Rocket Raccoon, by Skottie Young (Marvel)
The Wicked + The Divine, by Kieron Gillen & Jamie McKelvie (Image)

Lumberjanes is a huge success although I would have expected Ms Marvel to win.

Best Humor Publication

The Complete Cul de Sac, by Richard Thompson (Andrews McMeel)
Dog Butts and Love. And Stuff Like That. And Cats. by Jim Benton (NBM)
Groo vs. Conan, by Sergio Aragonés, Mark Evanier, & Tom Yeates (Dark Horse)
Rocket Raccoon, by Skottie Young (Marvel)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man, by Nick Spencer & Steve Lieber (Marvel)

Birdie swears by Cul de Sac. Haven't read it. Does Sex Criminals not count here?

Best Digital/Web Comic

Bandette, by Paul Tobin & Colleen Coover, Monkeybrain/comiXology.com
Failing Sky by Dax Tran-Caffee, http://failingsky.com
The Last Mechanical Monster, by Brian Fies, http://lastmechanicalmonster.blogspot.com
Nimona, by Noelle Stevenson, http://gingerhaze.com/nimona/comic
The Private Eye by Brian Vaughan & Marcos Martin http://panelsyndicate.com/

No surprise. I would recommend checking out Bandette though. Gorgeous book

Best U.S. Edition of International Material

Beautiful Darkness, by Fabien Vehlmann & Kerascoët (Drawn & Quarterly)
Blacksad: Amarillo, by Juan Díaz Canales & Juanjo Guarnido (Dark Horse)
Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn, by Hugo Pratt (IDW/Euro Comics)
Jaybird, by Lauri & Jaakko Ahonen (Dark Horse/SAF)
The Leaning Girl, by Benoît Peeters & François Schuiten (Alaxis Press)

I found Amarillo a little disappointing and short tbh

Best Writer

Jason Aaron, Original Sin, Thor, Men of Wrath (Marvel); Southern Bastards (Image)
Kelly Sue DeConnick, Captain Marvel (Marvel); Pretty Deadly (Image)
Grant Morrison, The Multiversity (DC); Annihilator (Legendary Comics)
Brian K. Vaughan, Saga (Image); Private Eye (Panel Syndicate)
G. Willow Wilson, Ms. Marvel (Marvel)
Gene Luen Yang, Avatar: The Last Airbender (Dark Horse); The Shadow Hero (First Second)

Good news for his upcoming Superman run. I'll have to check out his ATLA work

Best Penciller/Inker

Adrian Alphona, Ms. Marvel (Marvel)
Mike Allred, Silver Surfer (Marvel); Madman in Your Face 3D Special (Image)
Frank Quitely, Multiversity (DC)
François Schuiten, The Leaning Girl (Alaxis Press)
Fiona Staples, Saga (Image)
Babs Tarr, Batgirl (DC)

Would have gone with Quitely myself. Pax Americana is a masterclass in storytelling.

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)

Lauri & Jaakko Ahonen, Jaybird (Dark Horse)
Colleen Coover, Bandette (Monkeybrain)
Mike Del Mundo, Elektra (Marvel)
Juanjo Guarnido, Blacksad: Amarillo (Dark Horse)
J. H. Williams III, The Sandman: Overture (Vertigo/DC)

JHWIII is the man. I hope Del Mundo wins one in the future

Best Cover Artist

Darwyn Cooke, DC Comics Darwyn Cooke Month Variant Covers (DC)
Mike Del Mundo, Elektra, X-Men: Legacy, A+X, Dexter, Dexter Down Under (Marvel)
Francesco Francavilla, Afterlife with Archie (Archie); Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight (Dark Horse); The Twilight Zone, Django/Zorro (Dynamite); X-Files (IDW)
Jamie McKelvie/Matthew Wilson, The Wicked + The Divine (Image); Ms. Marvel (Marvel)
Phil Noto, Black Widow (Marvel)
Alex Ross, Astro City (Vertigo/DC); Batman 66: The Lost Episode, Batman 66 Meets Green Hornet (DC/Dynamite)

Im not a fan of Cooke's artwork but this is another category Del Mundo should win in the future

Best Coloring

Laura Allred, Silver Surfer (Marvel); Madman in Your Face 3D Special (Image)
Nelson Daniel, Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland, Judge Dredd, Wild Blue Yonder (IDW)
Lovern Kindzierski, The Graveyard Book, vols. 1-2 (Harper)
Matthew Petz, The Leg (Blue Creek Creative/Top Shelf)
Dave Stewart, Hellboy in Hell, BPRD, Abe Sapien, Baltimore, Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder, Shaolin Cowboy, Aliens: Fire and Stone, DHP (Dark Horse)
Matthew Wilson, Adventures of Superman (DC); The Wicked + The Divine (Image), Daredevil, Thor (Marvel)

how many eisners does Stewart have? haha

Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism

Alter Ego, edited by Roy Thomas (TwoMorrows)
Comic Book Creator, edited by Jon B. Cooke (TwoMorrows)
Comic Book Resources, edited by Jonah Weiland & Albert Ching, www.comicbookresources.com
Comics Alliance, edited by Andy Khouri, Caleb Goellner, Andrew Wheeler, & Joe Hughes, www.comicsalliance.com
tcj.com, edited by Dan Nadel & Timothy Hodler (Fantagraphi

Comics Alliance is great, but I think has fallen off a bit ever since they started putting up more movie features. Im guessing thats because Screen Crush is a sister site? Anyway, Sktchd.com is amazing. Y'all should check it out.

Vyer

I see that Barnes and Noble will be 'doubling' the graphic novel and manga sections in their stores.

It's interesting that walking in there for the first time in a year or so and I see how the toys/'pop culture' sections have become huge. Another old bookstore/music store I used to visit is Hastings and I see they've increased a huge focus on the same stuff.

I guess this is how brick n mortar bookstores believe they can survive.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I see that Barnes and Noble will be 'doubling' the graphic novel and manga sections in their stores.

It's interesting that walking in there for the first time in a year or so and I see how the toys/'pop culture' sections have become huge. Another old bookstore/music store I used to visit is Hastings and I see they've increased a huge focus on the same stuff.

I guess this is how brick n mortar bookstores believe they can survive.

great news for both industries, imo.

speaking of which - does anyone have a good article on the state of the comics industry? i'm curious to see how well our beloved medium is faring out there in this post nobama communconomy

Vyer

speaking of which - does anyone have a good article on the state of the comics industry? i'm curious to see how well our beloved medium is faring out there in this post nobama communconomy

yeah, possibly so.

Though I didn't check, but can they carry single issues?

icv2 has monthly sales figures

Hmmm there's an article Im thinking of I cant find

but in general: top 300 comics are selling more than before, top 10 sellers dont sell quite as high as before, comixology doesnt give out sales data so we dont know how big digital is (some people speculate Ms Marvel sells more digitally than physically, maybe Isak can say something?), image trades sell really well in bookstores but marvel trades not so much, amazon doesn't release sales data on tpbs so no one knows much exactly about how big the industry is unless you maybe work for Amazon.

Here Kieron Gillen talking about how Wicked and Divine is doing specifically. He touches a little bit on the rest of the industry.

Archie 1 was pretty cool. First time reading anything to do with Archie outside of cursory glances at the comics on display in the checkout aisle. The art was great as expected and it scratched a little bit of that Jem itch on the drama front.

I need more Jem :<

Wow. Really digging the first volume of Batman Inc. Love that Batwoman is in this so much !

What court of owls/death of the family tie in books/new 52 bat fam books in general are worth checking out ? Batwing seems like a cool idea !

Also, excited about those new dc animated movies.
If the killing joke is handled at all like the dark knight returns I'll be happy. Here's hoping they do Batwoman justice !

Wow. Really digging the first volume of Batman Inc. Love that Batwoman is in this so much !

What court of owls/death of the family tie in books/new 52 bat fam books in general are worth checking out ? Batwing seems like a cool idea !

Batwoman was in it? I don't even remember that. Pre-Flashpoint Batman Inc or Nu52?

To answer your second question, none.

Batwoman was in it? I don't even remember that. Pre-Flashpoint Batman Inc or Nu52?

To answer your second question, none.

Yeah Morrison seems pretty into the character. She's been popping in and out of his run since the first few batman and robin books.

Ouch. No love for batgirl or batman and robin ?

Also, every book in every marvel cmx sale is, for the most part, (basically everything but MAx),all the books recommended above, all their recent stuff and a lot of star wars comics are on marvel unlimited A everyone get on the train !

Yeah Morrison seems pretty into the character. She's been popping in and out of his run since the first few batman and robin books.

Ouch. No love for batgirl or batman and robin ?

Also, every book in every marvel cmx sale is, for the most part, (basically everything but MAx),all the books recommended above, all their recent stuff and a lot of star wars comics are on marvel unlimited A everyone get on the train !

Yeah, I wasn't super into that run. It was like Morrison going crazy with his campy brand of goofiness, as redundant as that sounds.

Batman & Robin is good on its own, but the Batbook tie-ins generally sucked. Pretty sure I read all the DotF ones and said to myself "Never. Again."

This is the first time since I signed up for CMX that they haven't had anything I want to buy on sale. Feels pretty good.

52 issues of 52 for 20 bucks ? Every darkhorse book basically ? Hellboy and brpd and Conan and usagi and fear agent in HD !? looking through that dark horse 50% off stuff makes me freak out

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
52 issues of 52 for 20 bucks ? Every darkhorse book basically ? Hellboy and brpd and Conan and usagi and fear agent in HD !? looking through that dark horse 50% off stuff makes me freak out

I don't do collections. Not that I would want any of that in singles form either. I hate the vast majority of DC Super Heroes. And nothing I've seen recommended from Dark Horse has interested me yet especially Hellboy. I don't like the character nor do I like that art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom