• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
normansmile.gif

8gvZkfU.png

Zombine

Banned
So, I just read through all 5 issues of this Saga arc, and it was gorgeous to look at like always, but I still think that BKV is dragging out things that could be accomplished in an issue or two as the main arc of the story, and it seems like just as he brings characters who are even remotely interesting to the fold
he goes and kills them all, and it's my assumption that it's because he isn't sure what to do with them.

So yeah, it was good, but it's what I expect from the book.

sdcc is crazy guys

Got a little insomnia right now so I ended up reading that KSD profile in Vanity Fair linked a while back

There's a line in there ("in the so-called “Golden Age,” which lasted from the late 30s to the early 50s, they were read by males and females in almost equal numbers") that struck me because it reminded me that Patricia Highsmith used to script comics in the 40s before she became a famous novelist and here we are in 2015 where having that 1 woman in the lineup is seen as an accomplishment because the very real alternative is nada

it's just frustrating is all, that we're in a moment where the demand for particular voices in mainstream comics might be at an all-time high and mainstream comics is just utterly unequipped to deal with that demand while at the same time congratulating itself for battles that were already won decades ago.

the other aspect that I feel very ambivalent towards is how identity politics have been co-opted by billion dollar corporations to sell you More Stuff but maybe that's just the cynic in me talking but also isn't that the ultimate endgame in all of this? Marvel is much more guilty of this kind of shameless "look at how diverse we are!" promotion than DC is but it's present in both companies i think.

i dunno. My brain is running on fumes right now and i might just delete this whole this tomorrow
No i think you make sense

Vyer

picked up all of Knightfall. I read it before of course. But nice to have it in digital. Really considering 52....

Zombine

Banned
who cares

I keep telling people that Waid is kinda garbage trying to give different voices to his characters. Add whatever the hell that is supposed to be to 50 year old Brookyln accent Peter Parker.

Archie dances on that fine line. I thought it would be a bigger clusterfuck than it actually is, but Staples art shaves a good 20 years off the voices.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yeah, I wasn't super into that run. It was like Morrison going crazy with his campy brand of goofiness, as redundant as that sounds.

Batman & Robin is good on its own, but the Batbook tie-ins generally sucked. Pretty sure I read all the DotF ones and said to myself "Never. Again."

homie i am full on VALIANT right now

X-O 1-14 was a blast.

got Bloodshot / Harbinger through Harbinger Wars and Unity / X - O through Unity event. hyped.

I keep telling people that Waid is kinda garbage trying to give different voices to his characters. Add whatever the hell that is supposed to be to 50 year old Brookyln accent Peter Parker.

Archie dances on that fine line. I thought it would be a bigger clusterfuck than it actually is, but Staples art shaves a good 20 years off the voices.

Waid is weird man. When he gets serious it's bad.

homie i am full on VALIANT right now

X-O 1-14 was a blast.

got Bloodshot / Harbinger through Harbinger Wars and Unity / X - O through Unity event. hyped.

This new comic book place I found gets special variants of Valiant books. They have some deal with them too. They give away Valiant #1s after a few weeks.

tim1138

According to ComicVine's Twitter feed Milestone had renewed their partnership with DC and Static is going to be the first title

Tizoc

Eh I like the Killing Joke, I like the dialog and words, I like the art, I like the old original coloring. You can tell me it did not age well and I'd agree, but I still enjoy it.
If anything the concept should be revisited.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eh I like the Killing Joke, I like the dialog and words, I like the art, I like the old original coloring. You can tell me it did not age well and I'd agree, but I still enjoy it.
If anything the concept should be revisited.
I think its timeless. I cant think of one thing that would make it aged.

The Dark Knight aged much worse.

You know what book isn't good?

Wicked + Divine.

It's a book that seems like I should like it, and maybe even seems like it's pretty good.

But I can't fucking keep any of the damn characters straight, nor can I tell why there are so many of them when practically all of them read like the exact same character.

It's just.. blah.

Yuuuuup. The first issue was soo good and then each issue after just failed to live up to the first one. I dropped it like 2 issues or so ago, it was just going nowhere really fast.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't "get" Wicked + Divine.

I saw all the praise but the first trade left me pretty cold.

Shame, as I loved Gillen's previous work.

Fuck yes my man. I'm about to start the Armor Hunters event. My jimmies aren't ready.

Waid is weird man. When he gets serious it's bad.

This new comic book place I found gets special variants of Valiant books. They have some deal with them too. They give away Valiant #1s after a few weeks.

#TeamValiant

Also, I agree Waid works best when he keeps it light. Archie #1 gives me a lot of hope for the future of the franchise.

The guy's name is Brett Parson, and he's been the highlight of the new Tank Girl comics. He really hasn't done a whole lot outside of that and his Vertigo story in SFX Slam.

Josie.png

Dude's talent is fucking EXTREME. I'm following him and really waiting for any news of his own original series or something. Put this dude on a monthly.

speaking of which, i hope this guy gets put on the inevitable Josie book!

Like every single star wars live action film ever made, then?

The original Star Wars movies at least had memorable and interesting characters that you could care about and great villains. And that is what makes a good action/adventure movie for me. The Star Wars prequels and the new Star Trek movies just gave us forgettable and frankly boring characters. I don't even remember who the bad guy from the first Star Trek movie was.

The original Star Wars movies at least had memorable and interesting characters that you could care about and great villains. And that is what makes a good action/adventure movie for me. The Star Wars prequels and the new Star Trek movies just gave us forgettable and frankly boring characters. I don't even remember who the bad guy from the first Star Trek movie was.

I love the 09 Star Trek film. Pine and Quinto kill it as Kirk and Spock though I admit both villains have been forgettable.

Damn... the latest issue of WicDiv was pretty dry and I didn't much care for the more exaggerated expressions the new artist brought but WicDiv is still some hot business.

I don't think it's very difficult to keep track of all the gods. It seems a little direction-less now
without Laura
but theres still tons of intrigue left to be mined. Also it's only been one chapter since so there's still plenty of good will to burn through.

Really is a shame about the art though.

Zombine

Banned
Everyone I see talking about Wicked & Divine is like "Yeah so the characters are ass and the last issue was dry...and so was the one before that and the one before that...and the new artist sucks but man there is a whole lot to love here. Shit is going down." Lol

I think my favorite thing about Hellboy is how moody and atmospheric it can get. Those small panels of Hellboy looking off with a thought or muttering to himself draped in those Mignola shadows are so good.

Li Kao

He forgot one important point

Killing Joke suuuuuucks

waste of Bolland's talent

even Moore thinks its shite. and he always thinks he's dropping illmatics left and right

You mean, even his Avatar stuff ? ^_^
Just had to say it, don't mind me. On the disclaimer front, I'm so not a gore and Avatar fan, but what I glanced of Moore stuff with them was fucking underwhelming. I mean typical Lovecraft riff, nothing new, nothing particularly brilliant. I didn't read them, so I could be wrong, but it looks really vain. I was surprised.

Just had to say it, don't mind me. On the disclaimer front, I'm so not a gore and Avatar fan, but what I glanced of Moore stuff with them was fucking underwhelming. I mean typical Lovecraft riff, nothing new, nothing particularly brilliant. I didn't read them, so I could be wrong, but it looks really vain. I was surprised.

Crossed 100 was pretty decent, as far as Crossed go.

Its not the worst thing he's done, probably. Maybe you are referring to Tim's 'worst thing Moore did at DC' comment? I'd agree with him on that.

Watchmen, Superman, Swamp Thing were all excellent

Killing Joke is about way worse than any of those.

Hell, his notes on Twlight of the Superheroes got quasi influenced Kingdom Come.

I basically stopped reading Moore's work after LoEG Black Dossier. I think I may have read some Avatar work of his and thought it was bad. I listened to some of his music out of curiosity and figured I was finished with anything Moore would create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom