• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

I don't remember how people felt at the time, but I feel like now the general consensus is that it's almost all together bad and kind of ruined Tony's character until the movies changed him.

I also feel like it's a terrible book as an entry into comics, but Marvel keeps pitching it as a gateway.

Interesting. I just got into reading comics after watching Civil War. So I started with the Civil War series (including all the crossovers; thanks Marvel Unlimited!) and I thought it was a great arc.

I can understand people not liking how they shaped Tony, but at the same time both sides seemed to have a pretty equal argument last time around.

This time I thought I was totally on the side of using Ulysess' powers, until Spider-man self fulfilling prophecied himself.

Sandfox

This week's issue of the ASM CW2 tie-in made me feel
bad for Clayton seeing how much his life sucks and how Peter was unintentionally treating him.

PsychBat!

Banned
I can understand people not liking how they shaped Tony, but at the same time both sides seemed to have a pretty equal argument last time around.
Nah, no one made a sane argument and started fighting from the get go.
They made no effort in trying to paint any side as equal, the Pro side were written as a bunch of dicks with no redeeming qualities and not just Tony.

Nah, no one made a sane argument and started fighting from the get go.
They made no effort in trying to paint any side as equal, the Pro side were written as a bunch of dicks with no redeeming qualities and not just Tony.

Let no one forget that Reed designed the Negative Zone prison

BookDepository says Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman Vol 1 TPB includes #195-213, yet the official DC website says it includes #195-205 + the Hiketeia.

Are there two versions of this tpb? Or is BookDepository lyin?

raw
Looks like the second version is the correct one. Rucka retweeted this.

If you have a Rebirth question, now's the time to ask it!

Btw, everyone who reads 'Tec should check Tynion IV's twitter feed for today, he talked (and is still talking, currently about Cass's name) a lot about the book.

Sejic also talked about the future since Sunstone is wrapping up in 8 strips, Mercy is being worked on and when asked about Death Vigil he posted this which I think we might've already seen but I can't remember:

Hated Flash #2, everything from the atrocious art to a story that feels like I've read it five times already. Close to dropping it.

Hal Jordan was a decent start, even for something I have not kept up with.

Nightwing! We did it, fam

I'll save the rest for tomorrow.

Invincible Iron Man #11
thats-it.gif

Civil War 2: X-Men #2
So this is entirely just set-up for Death of X.
Seems like Magneto is a little late to the party, then, if that's what he wants. He didn't buddy up with Scott before? And on that point, who are the other mutant psychics worth going to at this point? Rachel won't side with him most likely. Emma is absent. The Cuckoos, I suppose. Quentin would also be ideal, but good luck getting that fucker to do anything he doesn't want to. Also Gambit beating Fantomex was funny. Especially considering Remender's AoA arc.

I have an addiction to looking at comic book hauls on Youtube.
My friend had a similar thing where he watched a full channel of vids in a day of just a guy doing Yu-Gi-Oh! pack openings.
That. was. BULLSHIT. OUTRAGEOUS BULLSHIT.

For that BULLSHIT alone I give that issue a
uPIXzrc.gif
Ifound it hard to believe that Fantomex didn't know Gambit's power, because that's effectively the logic that this seemed to be operating under

Ross61

Detective Comics is only three issues in and it's the best team book not Ultimates out right now. Plus it's got gorgeous art by Eddy Barrows AND Alvaro Martinez.

Edit: I also love the explanation that Tynion just gave for why Cassandra Cain chose the name orphan.

Messi

Detective Comics is only three issues in and it's the best team book not Ultimates out right now. Plus it's got gorgeous art by Eddy Barrows AND Alvaro Martinez.

Plus it's got Batwoman. That alone instantly puts it above most of rebirth.

Civil War 2: Choosing Sides #1
Honestly didn't have much to do with choosing any sides: Fury Jr.
finding a secret organization within a bigger organization, a trope that's been exhausted for me at this point,
was pretty much there. Decent action with poor flow. Also a reminder from Marvel "We still remember that he saved Obama once!" Then there's Night Thrasher, who's cool and comes with an interesting point of view. Though I have no connection to him, so unless that ending is supposed to mean something, then it was a very strange way to end that. Damage Control was charming and funny, so it did its job. Again, though, not any side-choosing going on there.

All in all it was cool, but also there. Unless
Ulysses is the Leader
. Then that's the only way this pays off unless it's just little side stories. Have to read #2 to find out!

Rebirth Rankings

Detective=New Superman>GL Corps>WW>Flash>Action>>Nightwing

Honestly I liked them all but Nightwing. It just came off so corny and the dialogue was horrible. Only thing I liked from the entire issue is it finally referring to the end of Robin War.

Detective and New Superman was just a cut above the rest for me. Even though the reveal of Kate's dad was obvious The dialogue, the small jokes, and the team dynamic were all just great. New Superman was a complete surprise, I had been looking forward to it, but didn't think it'd be near this interesting right from the start. I'm also glad this is a monthly because I feel like the issue would have ended with the Dr showing up if this was a twice weekly.

Action Comics: Could this possibly be dragged out any more? I like the hints of mystery, but when is it going to become more than hints?

GL Corps: Yes it was mostly rehash and catch up but I really liked the way it presented it. Catching the readers up to everything that needs to be dealt with while starting it in on it's story.

WW I liked, but I feel like I'm missing details from not having the history with the character.

Flash I actually liked the issue. It feels like this issue actually moved on. I was a defender of the art on the last issue but man it really bothered me this time around.

So I never knew that "What if Venom Possessed Deadpool" comic was something rare and special, had it sitting in a drawer unbagged for years. Luckily it's still in good condition, but I was just surprised. Same for the X-Men Origins Deadpool being harder to find. So weird.

I'm dropping Rat Queens to trade waiting and only if it gets positive reviews. Completely convinced that Rat Queens was a fluke and that he has lost what made the first two volumes great.

Yeah,, this was one of my favorite books when Roc was on it,, even when Stjepan took over that was great,, after that tho the whole tone of the book changed imo. I just didnt get those feels anymore from it..

So I never knew that "What if Venom Possessed Deadpool" comic was something rare and special, had it sitting in a drawer unbagged for years. Luckily it's still in good condition, but I was just surprised. Same for the X-Men Origins Deadpool being harder to find. So weird.
Pretty sure Rick Remender wrote that one

And I'm pretty sure it's trash

Hal Jordan... I have a hard time recommending anyone read this unless they absolutely want to know what the hell happened in Venditti's run. It's about 50% catch up, 50% Hal and Sinestro talking about what they're going to do, and 0% substance. Now, that's not to say the next issue won't be good or bad or anything. This issue just didn't give much to go off of. I realize a lot of people are quick to tear down Venditti for his crappy Flash and GL runs, but us Valiant people know better. The guy can tell a story like nobody's business. Also, EVS's art is not great. So, for now, I'm still waiting and seeing. At least next issue, Rafa Sandoval comes on, so the art will be pretty.

Green Lantern comics post-Geoff Johns

IN 2016

seriously its like all downhill after that why pay money to read lesser versions of things you already read

TheFlow

Banned
Green Arrow #1-2

Hory shit this amazing. Like Court of the owls amazing. It is not just the artwork, but the color and use panels that make everything feel alive. Hands down in my top 5 ongoing atm.

Also
Diggle was a cool intro, and I don't think Emi fully betrayed Oliver. She might have left him that tracker on purpose

Rooster12

Green Lantern comics post-Geoff Johns

IN 2016

seriously its like all downhill after that why pay money to read lesser versions of things you already read

It wasn't even that good when Geoff Johns was there....it was only colorful.

Get rid of 5-6 of the other color Lanterns and I'm down.

You really only need Red, Yellow and Violet...no need for the rest of the them.

shingi70

Banned
New Superman is so damn good, it's weird a book with the premise of Eddie Brock getting powers instead of Peter Parker and being surrounded by knock offs of other heroes has so much heart to it.

Out of curiosity, do you guys get all your issues at your LCS? We have one in town and it's kinda out of the way, but I haven't found any good online retailers for single issues.

VanWinkle

Out of curiosity, do you guys get all your issues at your LCS? We have one in town and it's kinda out of the way, but I haven't found any good online retailers for single issues.

Most here buy digitally or through DCBS. I've tried to get a few Rebirth titles at my local comic shop and they're sold out every single time, so I've given up and gone digital.

Top Bottom