• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Even if it's over a minor adjustment to the art, if it comes off like the only reason you're being asked to make changes is that the person asking has a personal issue with you, then yeah, you would walk away. Especially when you're an in-demand artist that can get similar work elsewhere without even trying, and not have tension with a creator on the other job.

Owzers

what if Cho is only saying this so he can sell Rucka Outrage covers with Rucka yelling at all the lewd wonder woman art?

Gonna get a lot of use out of this one.

6qZkVMu.jpg

Best character ever.

Didio had to (literally) kiss Greg Rucka's ass so hard, to give him whatever he wanted, for him to be writing for DC in 2016. If he doesn't want to associate with Frank Cho, you bet editorial is gonna give into his every whim to make him happy. And its not like Frank Cho can't find paying work elsewhere.

Owzers

Where is my darn Zatanna animated series figure.

WHERE? Ridiculous. It was supposed to come out in March!

All DC solicits should read " You can wait" for the release date.

Didio had to (literally) kiss Greg Rucka's ass so hard, to give him whatever he wanted, for him to be writing for DC in 2016. If he doesn't want to associate with Frank Cho, you bet editorial is gonna give into his every whim to make him happy. And its not like Frank Cho can't find paying work elsewhere.

I would pick Rucka over Cho every. Fucking. Time. Cho is a talented artist, but he can be juvenile. I wonder how much he's made drawing outrage covers at cons.

Even if it's over a minor adjustment to the art, if it comes off like the only reason you're being asked to make changes is that the person asking has a personal issue with you, then yeah, you would walk away. Especially when you're an in-demand artist that can get similar work elsewhere without even trying, and not have tension with a creator on the other job.
Still, it seems like all he wanted was at least the "panties" (I put it in parentheses cuz they honestly look like he bottom part of her outfit) to be cropped out. It's like whatever man the cover still gets made despite Rucka's gripe with the pose. But for some reason that tiny little edit is what did it.

Rucka has one foot already out the door whenever he's doing work-for-hire, so you can't let him have a bad day or he's gone. He quit Punisher in 2013, came back for Cyclops in 2014, and then quit that too.

PsychBat!

Banned
So I'm in Sacramento picking up my sisters and my mom from a business trip. I learned that a couple of days ago that my sisters went walking to the local mall and were stopped by two men in a car. They yelled out "this is America!" and drove away. Nothing else happened. I don't know how to feel.

Owzers

So I'm in Sacramento picking up my sisters and my mom from a business trip. I learned that a couple of days ago that my sisters went walking to the local mall and were stopped by two men in a car. They yelled out "this is America!" and drove away. Nothing else happened. I don't know how to feel.

Maybe they were arguing about what country they were in.

Rucka has one foot already out the door whenever he's doing work-for-hire, so you can't let him have a bad day or he's gone. He quit Punisher in 2013, came back for Cyclops in 2014, and then quit that too.

Because he's lucky enough to have made a name for himself, so he doesn't have to deal with the bullshit that publishers pull from time to time
frequently.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

God that sucks. Where were they?

Because he's lucky enough to have made a name for himself, so he doesn't have to deal with the bullshit that publishers pull from time to time
frequently.
I only like Rucka's work some of the time. Most of the time his writing comes off like he's one of these stereotypical novelists that have no business writing serialized comics because the pacing is so slow, with all these subtle details that no person can reasonably remember from month to month. Sometimes, if you read his stuff in trades, it's very good. I love Lazarus, and I love his Punisher.

I don't touch his work-for-hire stuff until it's completed because I don't trust him to not throw a fit and bail. It sucks to spend so much money on these expensive-ass books and then have the writer just leave you hanging. I don't trust Straczynski anymore for the same reason. I'm not entitled enough to say the writers owe it to the audience to stick around if they're having a bad time, but Rucka is so quick to leave that it seems like he doesn't even think about the readers in those cases.

Civil War 2: X-Men #2
So this is entirely just set-up for Death of X.
Seems like Magneto is a little late to the party, then, if that's what he wants. He didn't buddy up with Scott before? And on that point, who are the other mutant psychics worth going to at this point? Rachel won't side with him most likely. Emma is absent. The Cuckoos, I suppose. Quentin would also be ideal, but good luck getting that fucker to do anything he doesn't want to. Also Gambit beating Fantomex was funny. Especially considering Remender's AoA arc.

That. was. BULLSHIT. OUTRAGEOUS BULLSHIT.

For that BULLSHIT alone I give that issue a
uPIXzrc.gif

CWII X-Men II spoilers:
could be a fake out if their goal is trying to infiltrate the x men. For what purpose? No idea, other than recruitment.

CWII #3 spoiler:
Oh hey, Hank once again sticking his nose into affairs he should stay out of and not understanding their implications. Both Hanks keep fucking up.

PsychBat!

Banned
God that sucks. Where were they?
My sisters? They were walking to the local mall on a sidewalk. The guys, who my younger sister recalls they were early 20s white guys. Just pulled up next to them and said that. And now that I'm in Sacramento with my dad (who has vitiligo) and my sisters at the mall, there's a lot of white people. Normally I wouldn't care that much but I'm in a city that I'm not familiar with and it's hard not to feel uncomfortable when they stare.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
psych is that your pupper in your avatar or just a random pupper?

edit: wait is that even a real pupper or just a drawing? I cant tell these days with all the crazy filters

Well....They weren't wrong in their statement. Though I feel there was some racist motivation at work.

I only like Rucka's work some of the time. Most of the time his writing comes off like he's one of these stereotypical novelists that have no business writing serialized comics because the pacing is so slow, with all these subtle details that no person can reasonably remember from month to month. Sometimes, if you read his stuff in trades, it's very good. I love Lazarus, and I love his Punisher.

Man, you don't know slow pacing until you've read a Nick Spencer comic. Specifically Morning Glories.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

A driving GPS?

AI has gone too far

Man, you don't know slow pacing until you've read a Nick Spencer comic. Specifically Morning Glories.
I've never read Morning Glories, but Sam Wilson is my favorite ongoing book right now, and I love Superior Foes and The Fix.

The worst decompression I've ever seen was Rucka's "Return of the Native" arc on Wolverine. So little actually happened, and it was seven issues.

Sandfox

I've never read Morning Glories, but Sam Wilson is my favorite ongoing book right now, and I love Superior Foes and The Fix.

The worst decompression I've ever seen was Rucka's "Return of the Native" arc on Wolverine. So little actually happened, and it was seven issues.

That's a good book and I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more given how topical it is.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone quitting a paying job because a milimeter of ass was cropped out of a drawing.

We can expect a lot more OUTRAGE!!! sketches of Diana's tits popping out of her costume while she mocks Spider-Gwen's weak, ineffectual SJW womanhood.

Apparently DC Entertainment are reorganizing and promoting a bunch of people and some others are going to be asked to leave. BC are running the story but we shouldn't really talk about it until we get the official word since we have no real clue what's going on there.

Remind me how much DC Entertainment and DC Comics are linked. Could DCE chiefs fire lower levelled people at DCC without asking the heads of DCC?

tim1138

Where is my darn Zatanna animated series figure.

WHERE? Ridiculous. It was supposed to come out in March!

All DC solicits should read " You can wait" for the release date.

I'm still waiting on the Etrigan/Klarion set that I'm pretty sure was supposed to come out last year.

I'm still waiting on the Etrigan/Klarion set that I'm pretty sure was supposed to come out last year.

Diamond constantly updates release dates and shit on their site. I use them all the time to keep up with statue releases because DC Direct has a tendency to delay a lot. Current date for Etrigan is August 3
, until it gets delayed again

Edit: oh Jesus. My BvS Wonder Woman statue got delayed (third time) to December 28. Just waiting for the cancellation announcement now. Wonder if they had to resculpt the entire thing.

Max Landis has an Image comic coming out in October...
The knights of Kelodia are the finest in the land, but they’ve never faced a power like the one that resides in the Green Valley…
MAX LANDIS (Chronicle, American Ultra, Superman: American Alien) and GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (Amazing Spider-Man) welcome you to the world of Green Valley… where nothing is ever what it seems.
GREEN-VALLEY-1.png

From what I've seen over the week quite a few people want a classic Venom story after 5 years of Agent Venom.

I don't understand those people.

Eddie Brock Venom was always a terrible character. He worked out all right as a villain the first few times because he could bring a fight to Spider-Man in ways few villains could, neutralizing or easily countering almost his entire power set, and he knew all this personal shit about Peter because of his time with the symbiote. But eventually they stopped coming up with interesting ways to use him, the antihero popularity wave hit and they decided hey, let's make Venom a good guy. So we got Lethal Protector, which was an awful story. Virtually every story where Eddie Brock Venom was a good guy was legit cringe-inducing, bottom-tier garbage comics. The character was so completely ruined by the time Mac Gargan took over that him taking the symbiote was a relief. Fucking Mac Gargan.

Enter Flash Thompson. Here is a guy who has gone through a pretty incredible redemptive arc in his own right. He's a Real American Hero who lost his legs as a soldier (incidentally, that makes him one of the only fucking disabled characters starring in a comic book at either of the big two). By making Flash Venom Marvel got to have their cake and eat it too...they had a guy who could be an actual hero, not, ya know, a psychopath like Brock. They were able to create all kinds of interesting stories that acknowledged Flash's disability in a respectful way. And the bond between symbiote and host had much greater depth and authenticity than any of these fucking Venoms or Venom ripoffs running around. I could go on and on. Flash is a vastly superior Venom in every way.

And now Marvel is gonna throw that out? Gee another good sign that Marvel really gives a shit about diversity...let's get rid of our only disabled character!

Seriously this kinda pisses me off.

Top Bottom