• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

"Hello"
"Yes, Hell Low indeed"

That is the worst Azz pun on WW so far.
Reigun reminds me when I dropped Wonder woman. Old dude walked in a bar with that black God and a bunch of dead bodies.

"Hello"
"Hell low indeed..."

:/

Azz...

Stahp

Edit: beaten lol

sF9wNy6.gif

I totally get the love of the old Perez stuff. But at the same time I thought the focus on Greek mythology was a nice shift from what DC had been doing previously with the character. New 52 was meant to be a reboot of DC's line, and the Azzarello / Chiang run accomplished that. It changed some of the long-running continuity of Wonder Woman, certainly, but I thought it was a refreshing take on her. Just because a story doesn't adhere to old continuity doesn't mean it isn't a story worth telling. Chiang's art really did wonders for the story, too.

Art-wise it was great, as I said. But Azzarello changed some fundamental WW stuff and by doing that he broke the character. It works for telling the current story, but do not if you start to think how the character got there.

And Rucka is undoing everything in the current run.

By the way, if Perez is too old school, the last Rucka run in WW pre n52 was great and had all that mytjologic aspects too.

Art-wise it was great, as I said. But Azzarello changed some fundamental WW stuff and by doing that he broke the character. It works for telling the current story, but do not if you start to think how the character got there.

By the way, if Perez is too old school, the last Rucka run in WW pre n52 was great and had all that mytjologic aspects too.
You're too hung up on how it relates to other comics. Look at it as its own thing.

e: damn those posts are from almost 4 years ago!!

I know, what the fuck right? Like why have we been here this long. It cant have been that long...

Im lookin at this old thread seeing who's still here and who isn't. TTOB left, Krytpo banned, GrandHarrier had enoughu of our Marvel talk, Rafa died, Spike got too old, Tetrax, ElNarez father_Brain and sillymonkey will always be here. Birdie left and then he came back and then he left and then he came back.

Messi

I know, what the fuck right? Like why have we been here this long. It cant have been that long...

Im lookin at this old thread seeing who's still here and who isn't. TTOB left, Krytpo banned, GrandHarrier had enoughu of our Marvel talk, Rafa died, Spike got too old, Tetrax, ElNarez father_Brain and sillymonkey will always be here. Birdie left and then he came back and then he left and then he came back.

Was I here yet?

Oh my god, I just found out Kirby's New Gods artist edition includes the whole of The Pact. I didn't need to know that.

Where's Isak_Borg btw, I though we were getting some juicy gossip once the NDA ended.

Messi

Oh my god, I just found out Kirby's New Gods artist edition includes the whole of The Pact. I didn't need to know that.

Where's Isak_Borg btw, I though we were getting some juicy gossip once the NDA ended.

giphy.gif

Nah, this was near the end of the TTOB era. In fact, I found the origins of the Messi era of ComicsGAF right here

I knew that was going to come up lol. Thats the thread where I learned about Batwoman

ElNarez

Banned

We don't know that yet. Could be. The whole point of the Rebirth #1 and of #1 is that it's all kinda up in the air at the moment, and the uncertainty has broken stuff on a level fundamental enough that the lasso of truth does not work.

Plus I do not get how you come to the idea that Azz can't write Wonder Woman when his run brought us this all-time classic page, which, as far as I'm concerned, is just about the perfect definition of who Diana is, and what sets her apart as a character.

dzz6Hrh.png

Messi

"I really don't like Superman or Fantastic 4, X-Men could go either way"

lol

Glad I got to really like the X-Men before the Inhumans killed them all.

Nothing has changed for me with Superman or the Fantastic 4 though.

frye

the last page of that thread has a bunch of Nick Spencer takes

I'm done with Morning Glories. 23 issues in, I have no idea what's going on.

Can't believe you made it that far. The covers are pretty great (though I don't think he/she is a very good comics artist, considering how fucking boring it is in that Mind The Gap book) but whoever does the interior art is awful.

Nick Spencer sucks shit at everything.

His Jimmy Olson comic was good!

But I hated his Secret Avengers/Thunder Agents/Morning Glories so much, I straight up refuse to buy anything else he does(unless it's more Jimmy Olson). Three strikes, you out, brotha

I will co-sign on that.

And I only read Bedlam, but it was like being beaten about the head and neck with his wildly out of control self love and colossal ego.

It felt like he was trying to write a Christopher Nolan Batman movie with none of the shitty action and all of the blow-hard "rousing" speechs.

Jeezus.

I think the only thing of his I've read since then was an issue of Superior Foes that I dismissed as a B- Hawkeye so I still kinda think everyone is collectively pulling my leg when they say things like "Nick Spencer is actually good"

I ended up in the next months thread and the Spencer takes continue
Spencer has talked about liking the comic medium before but it's clear he'd much rather be doing TV. Morning Glories and shit like Thief of Thieves are elevator pitches, not comics.

How does a thief stop being a thief???
- actual dialogue from a Nick Spencer comic

lmfao

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Bunch of newbz!

Well other than Spike. I remember him from the pre-NeoGAF days. Comic threads were way less newborn friendly than they are today though.

That Jimmy Olsen comic was good. It made me think this guy cared about telling rich, fun stories and not buffing out that page count for the trade. Then Im reading THUNDER Agents and nigga just wasted a full page, four boring panels of a woman getting a drink of water and its like "his smile and optimism...gone"

frye

I ended up in the next months thread and the Spencer takes continue

lmfao

i really hated his comics back then

That Jimmy Olsen comic was good. It made me think this guy cared about telling rich, fun stories and not buffing out that page count for the trade. Then Im reading THUNDER Agents and nigga just wasted a full page, four boring panels of a woman getting a drink of water and its like "his smile and optimism...gone"

I loved those as backups but for whatever reason when I read the one-shot that reprinted/completed the series the magic disappeared. That was the beginning of the end for me and him.

We as a community don't have many finer moments than this gem.
]

Can I just say that this was an earnest attempt to start a discussion about the Valiant bundle that I was reading (and mostly enjoying outside of the wack art!)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. My uncle, aunt and cousins are in the south of France for the summer. The house isn't in Nice, but they were canoeing near Cannes this morning and haven't given any updates since. They're probably fine, but still.

I was there. Somewhere right?

Edit: hah one post...but I was there that month!

I was there. Somewhere right?

So Valiant comics

All the new reboots seem to be getting a lot of good buzz but just like the first run I have a hard time feeling compelled to give books a shot.

Of the reboots what are the best books so far? Are they worth it? Right now i'm looking at X-O Manowar and Archer & Armstrong

Are any of the old runs worth it? I never really read them either

ah, valiant comics...

Top Bottom