• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

VanWinkle

So is Orphan the same character as the Batgirl back in the early 2000s or whenever where she had the full face-covering mask with stitching on it?

TheFlow

Banned
Okay, so I guess I can put off East of West until next year and grab the first two hardcovers. Wonder if the series will be closer to conclusion by then. How's Hickman's schedule on this one? Is he regular?

He is on full throttle. Already on year 3. Issue #29 releases next month and based on the summary I can see this ending around 60 issues

As it should be. I hope Harper shows up in the book at some point.

I am surprised we got clayface over Harper, but I like the guy so much over these 3 issues I can't complain much. I am sure she will come in eventually

duckroll

He is on full throttle. Already on year 3. Issue #29 releases next month and based on the summary I can see this ending around 60 issues

So about 4 hardcover collections? I guess jumping in midway when the second hardcover hits next year wouldn't be too bad?

TheFlow

Banned
So about 4 hardcover collections? I guess jumping in midway when the second hardcover hits next year wouldn't be too bad?

The whole series is on sale right now on CMX. 26 dollars for year 1-2 plus the first issue of year 3 is not bad. 4-5 hardcovers seems to be the sweet spot with most modern runs on comics.

If you don't mind waiting a year from the year two hardcover then go for it.

My issue was that I thought that the way Peter died was disrespectful and a spit in the face of the character, but the entire point of the story ended up being to show that Peter was in fact that Superior Spider-Man.
The ending of the story is so dope
Didn't have to be this way.
It has to be this way
I dont like you anymore
Nah I had similar problems. It did feel way too much like everyone was a complete idiot and it dragged a teensy bit too long. Barring that I still really enjoyed everything else.

Neoxon

For those who care, here's some concept art for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

CnYiBEWUAAA1uIy.jpg:large

Read all the Rebirth this week.

Action Comics #959 - ★★ - We're three books into this series, and it's starting to feel like a drawn out Dragon Ball Z fight. I can't get excited for Doomsday as a villain in 2016, just like I couldn't get excited for him in 1992. Calling him one-dimensional would be giving the character too much credit. Meanwhile, we've got all these potentially interesting questions being ignored in favor of large panels with Doomsday screaming, "AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!" Nope.

Detective Comics #936 - ★★★★★ - This book is hot fire! Love where everything is headed, perfect pacing, spot-on takes on the team. Brilliant comic.

The Flash #2 - ★- Everything from the atrocious art to a story that feels like I've read it five times already. Close to dropping it. This is a very bad book.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1 - ★★★ - This book wins an award for this week's most obnoxiously long name. Overall, a decent start to the new series, even for something I have not kept up with. I mean, absolutely nothing happened here, but this was a classic setup issue to establish the basics. Okay then.

New Super-Man #1 - ★★ - This book is not for me. I might revisit at some point in the future when it gets collected, but won't be picking it up at release.

Nightwing: Rebirth #1 - ★★★ - This has the makings of a fun book, especially if it riffs off the relationships and inherent contrasts between Dick and Batman. Damian is always a welcome addition to Nightwing stories, since they have a great dynamic and shared history. Optimistic for this series. 

Wonder Woman #2 - ★★★★★ - I think I'm going to vastly prefer the Year One storyline to the modern half of this book. Everything about this was perfect for me. Great back and forth between Diana and Steve keeps everything zipping along nicely.

Civil War 2: Kingpin #1
giphy.gif

Civil War 2 #3
This was really damn good.
There's no way Carol is coming out the good guy in this. In fairness to her, Hill was the one who really pushed things. And Beast. Neither of those should be surprising. And Beast was bitching about being put on the spot and on trial naught months ago for what was, what I would say and equal amount of probably cause. Yet here he is, doing the exact same thing and playing the high and mighty card. And how is Hill still in charge? Not a lot of applicants for Director of SHIELD? Fuck, Coulson or Quake can act as interims. They've done it before. Also did SHIELD model combat suits after the Destroyer armor? That's just lulz worthy, for some reason.

And finally, props to that cover for making Banner Hulk a truly horrifying monster. Drives that shit home hard.
What really matters is that I want it.

I prefer that costume as well.
Then we are agreed. The council is adjourned.

Sandfox

Civil War 2: Kingpin #1
giphy.gif

Civil War 2 #3
This was really damn good.
There's no way Carol is coming out the good guy in this. In fairness to her, Hill was the one who really pushed things. And Beast. Neither of those should be surprising. And Beast was bitching about being put on the spot and on trial naught months ago for what was, what I would say and equal amount of probably cause. Yet here he is, doing the exact same thing and playing the high and mighty card. And how is Hill still in charge? Not a lot of applicants for Director of SHIELD? Fuck, Coulson or Quake can act as interims. They've done it before. Also did SHIELD model combat suits after the Destroyer armor? That's just lulz worthy, for some reason.

And finally, props to that cover for making Banner Hulk a truly horrifying monster. Drives that shit home hard.

Then we are agreed. The council is adjourned.

Hill is only a public figure until they find a replacement and lost all of her authority after Standoff.

Good morning from a cloudy Sweden~

Picked up the SW issues I missed in the CMX sale. Marvel still sell them at full price with 0 reductions since they came out(18+ months for the first issue now!) so picking them up at a sale is pretty much the only option if you don't want to pay €4 for each issue.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Yeah it didn't really gel with me, but I suppose it fits her sexy death worshipper thing. When she's not fighting then she's fucking

Yeah after I made that post I started thinking about how it fit her because she was casually banging Dick in Annihilation.

Good morning from a cloudy Sweden~

Picked up the SW issues I missed in the CMX sale. Marvel still sell them at full price with 0 reductions since they came out(18+ months for the first issue now!) so picking them up at a sale is pretty much the only option if you don't want to pay €4 for each issue.

Hello from middle of the night Illinois!

And yeah I kept up with 26 of the tie-ins at full price last Summer. Sale much better.

Yeah after I made that post I started thinking about how it fit her because she was casually banging Dick in Annihilation.

Hello from middle of the night Illinois!

And yeah I kept up with 26 of the tie-ins at full price last Summer. Sale much better.
Remember how she misunderstood why Rich wanted to talk to her after Annihilation Conquest/the first issue of GotG?
(Actually sorta love that Bendis had her disappointed with Tony in bed because it implies Rich was really, really good)

My favorite version of her classic costume is probably the one she wears in the last issues after zipping up:

If anyone on the team needs a less MCU-esque costume it's her(and Quill who needs to go back to the uniform).

How is it that every single issue of Birthright is better than the last? This comic continues to knock my socks off. It's absurdly good urban fantasy.

Man I love Manapul's art.

I just PRAY that the middling writing on Flash and Detective Comics was more the work of Buccellato and less Manapul. Hopefully Manapul working alone here will prove better. Who knows.

Yeah I miss his work,,, last I remember Manapul was suppose to be coming out with his own series (Art and story)? I forget the name but it looked and sounded pretty cool.

Top Bottom