• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Good lord. I think I might have a dozen or so. But it takes a lot for me to buy one. Definitely looking forward to the Ripley and Alien Queen POPs next month.

Speaking of next month, we'll be getting the first episode of Telltale's Batman in August.

It was going to be July. Not a good sign for their promise that the whole series would come out this year. Especially when they have Walking Dead Season 3 coming as well, and there's still two more episodes of Minecraft left. I know they have massively expanded as a studio but it still worries me.

I like my POPs. Have 32 now, got Dad 76 and Movie Harley this week. Probably going to get a few more soon with my birthday coming up in a few weeks. Hoping to get a Star Trek Beyond Spock for sure. I don't buy the bigger ones usually but if they did a POP Rides with the Enterprise I'd probably go for that.

Is this like how Microsoft calculates things in number of crates destroyed in a game instead of sales?

I'm starting to find sales stuff to be gross, just too many relaunches and then seeing how well each company can do in their relaunch month while i'm still reading Walking Dead and Invincible issue 100something.

Sales stuff has always been gross, people take industry-relevant data and use it as a (really fucking thin) smokescreen for fanboy wars.

mreddie

Is this like how Microsoft calculates things in number of crates destroyed in a game instead of sales?

I'm starting to find sales stuff to be gross, just too many relaunches and then seeing how well each company can do in their relaunch month while i'm still reading Walking Dead and Invincible issue 100something.

Detective Comics and Action Comics are still with the real numbering.

Its just boring. Like who honestly gives a single solitary shit unless one of your fave books is in danger. Shock and awe, they ordered a bunch of #1s, variant covers, crossovers, and niggas still buy Batman comics no matter who's writer/drawing them. What the fuck ever.

What exactly makes Inhumans different from Mutants?

They just seem like shitty knockoff mutants in every way.

But functionally there really is nothing differetiating them from regular earth mutants, right?

They just had their dna messed with by aliens. But the result is the same.

So everyone on the planet had their DNA messed with by aliens and the mists just activate them?
The same way puberty activates the mutants extra genes or whatever?

Why are some people Inhumans and not others?
Trying to get my head round this.

Ok one final question. Why is Beast classed as an Inhuman now?
So Inhumans are descendants of way way way early ancestors of humans. At one point the Kree were going from planet to planet messing with various races' DNA in order to create new living weapons. They did so to humans, and then left after an Inhuman named Randac, the first Inhuman and the first Inhuman king, forced them out. Over time the Inhumans, believed to be a small group, pretty much lived in isolation. Away from the rest of the world, due to them no longer really being human, since now they were hybrids. Over the milennia, however, Inhuman DNA was naturally passed down and spread all over the world.

The Inhumans were created by the Kree using an element called "Terrigen." It is with this element that the Inhumans use to activate their transformations and become their true selves. Various different Inhuman cultures have varying opinions and policies on when and how Terrigen should be used.

Beast is with the Inhumans only because none of the mutants want to deal with him and he's researching a way to stop the M-Pox from killing off mutantkind.

ElNarez

Banned
Its just boring. Like who honestly gives a single solitary shit unless one of your fave books is in danger. Shock and awe, they ordered a bunch of #1s, variant covers, crossovers, and niggas still buy Batman comics no matter who's writer/drawing them. What the fuck ever.

The game is rigged as shit, it doesn't represent any sort of tangible reality, and it only matters if you need to feel validated for backing the right corporation.

Just read the dang books, talk about the art. That's the only good part. Comics itself.

Something I just noticed, but have CBR stopped with comic reviews? They haven't put up even one in a while. Must have to do with the new owner much like the increased amount of clickbaity headlines and ads.

dan2026

So Inhumans are descendants of way way way early ancestors of humans. At one point the Kree were going from planet to planet messing with various races' DNA in order to create new living weapons. They did so to humans, and then left after an Inhuman named Randac, the first Inhuman and the first Inhuman king, forced them out. Over time the Inhumans, believed to be a small group, pretty much lived in isolation. Away from the rest of the world, due to them no longer really being human, since now they were hybrids. Over the milennia, however, Inhuman DNA was naturally passed down and spread all over the world.

The Inhumans were created by the Kree using an element called "Terrigen." It is with this element that the Inhumans use to activate their transformations and become their true selves. Various different Inhuman cultures have varying opinions and policies on when and how Terrigen should be used.

Beast is with the Inhumans only because none of the mutants want to deal with him and he's researching a way to stop the M-Pox from killing off mutantkind.

Succinctly put. Thank you.

It's infotainment, same reason people obsess over box office or TV ratings. I just like DA NUMBERZ. It's honestly almost wholly divorced from my enjoyment of the actual comics.

Preeeeeetty much yeah

Like the only interesting sales numbers to me would be a month where there's no events or relaunches and the books have to stand on their own merits. Because no shit, relaunches and events sell. Batman sells. No. Shit.

We'll see if we ever get a month like that again.

I dropped the /Filmcast because the host won't shut the fuck up about budgets and box office performance.

It's a shame, because that show was a good way to find out about interesting things on Netflix or to rent that I wouldn't know about otherwise.

Wait, people browse comic book sites? Like, for fun?
I was linked to the new Star Wars concept art on the site. Pretty much the only reason I visit the site of my own free will now is when CSBG updates or when writers and artists do exclusive interviews and link the interview on twitter.

I like CBR. They have good features on dumb old comics, and outside of that stuff, I'm mostly just looking for news and interviews, not editorials.

People will do anything to avoid reading comics.

Most of the time I'd much rather be reading comics than reading about comics.

I would like if there were more books about the history of comics, stuff like Marvel Comics: The Untold Story which I really enjoyed. Grant Morrison's book Supergods was pretty good as well, part history lesson, part memoir.

Don't really enjoy reading long articles online, and converting to Kindle is far too much effort for the few that would interest me.

I would like if there were more books about the history of comics, stuff like Marvel Comics: The Untold Story which I really enjoyed. Grant Morrison's book Supergods was pretty good as well, part history lesson, part memoir.

Don't really enjoy reading long articles online, and converting to Kindle is far too much effort for the few that would interest me.
How about a comic book about the history of comics?

The-Comic-Book-History-of-Comics_TP_Full-660x1024.jpg

Supergods was great. Made it very clear that Morrison is nuts, but it's a great look at the history of comics.

I remember thinking Supergods made Morrison come off as a bit of an asshole, but it's been so long that I can't remember why. I didn't like that book and gave my copy to the library.

Hagi

Something I just noticed, but have CBR stopped with comic reviews? They haven't put up even one in a while. Must have to do with the new owner much like the increased amount of clickbaity headlines and ads.

Not at all pretty sure they have reviewed a lot of this weeks releases so nope still doing reviews.

Holy hell, Civil War #3 was awful.

This is the most forced, fake shit ever. Nothing about this event feels remotely organic.
Danvers gets on stand with fake ass tears and the issue ends her dumb speech about saving lives.
Ugh, it's all so awful.

CWII is gonna make me hate Carol as much as CWI made me hate Tony. And unlike Tony, I don't even like Carol that much to begin with.

Everything outside of art this event has been trash. I'm scared of how bad the rest will get.

Owzers

16 issues ive read

SIX TEEN

And FUCK ALL has happened

Duggan is a useless prick, I think I hate Deadpool, yet to read a story where he isn't shit

Does the new run have 16 issues or are you talking about the first Duggan run that started off with zombie presidents? I'm talking about the new run, previous run was a bunch of stuff wrapped around The Good, The Bad, The Ugly arc.

Holy hell, Civil War #3 was awful.

This is the most forced, fake shit ever. Nothing about this event feels remotely organic.
Danvers gets on stand with fake ass tears and the issue ends her dumb speech about saving lives.
Ugh, it's all so awful.

CWII is gonna make me hate Carol as much as CWI made me hate Tony. And unlike Tony, I don't even like Carol that much to begin with.

Everything outside of art this event has been trash. I'm scared of how bad the rest will get.
Drop the book. The bitchy, jaded "I buy things I know I'm going to hate" comic book reader is a bad look.

Duggan is a useless prick
His Hulk was good, and he had the only non-Spencer Standoff issue I enjoyed.

Owzers

it's really hard to avoid event books even if you know you won't like them, i barely dodged Civil War 2, events just consume all the comics attention. It's like voting for Trump, you know you shouldn't but he's just so strong...

I used to say they were hard to avoid too and I was wrong. People don't even try. It's very easy. Secret Wars and Civil War II are the only events I've read since Fear Itself and I read Marvel books almost every week. Even when the books you read have tie-in issues, the recap pages tell you everything you need to know from the main event.

16 issues ive read

SIX TEEN

Duggan is a useless prick, I think I hate Deadpool, yet to read a story where he isn't shit
Remender's Uncanny X-Force!
Drop the book. The bitchy, jaded "I buy things I know I'm going to hate" comic book reader is a bad look.

His Hulk was good, and he had the only non-Spencer Standoff issue I enjoyed.
Same thing with video games, movies, and TV shows.

dan2026

No problem. I actually really like the Inhumans, so I'm more than happy to talk about them. I can recommend some Inhuman-specific stories to read as well, if you're interested.

Sure you can do.
I've never been super hot on The Inhumans.
But I do like Maximus, cuz he's mad. And does machines.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force!

Agreed. Uncanny X-force was amazing.

That's the thing most people don't get about Deadpool.
The silliness is only one part of his character. The other part is that he is a sad, emotionally damaged, mess.
He should be a tragic character.

Hagi

16 issues ive read

SIX TEEN

Calling Duggan a useless prick is quite an overreaction to reading something you don't like. I haven't finished his first run yet but I've enjoyed it and Chewbacca was fun. Read Hawkeye vs Deadpool if you haven't, that's a really fun book.

I used to say they were hard to avoid too and I was wrong. People don't even try. It's very easy. Secret Wars and Civil War II are the only events I've read since Fear Itself and I read Marvel books almost every week. Even when the books you read have tie-in issues, the recap pages tell you everything you need to know from the main event.

I'm fine with just ignoring everything Civil War till it's finished. Does mean that the only Marvel book I'm pulling now is Black Widow though. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Calling Duggan a useless prick is quite an overreaction to reading something you don't like. I haven't finished his first run yet but I've enjoyed it and Chewbacca was fun. Read Hawkeye vs Deadpool if you haven't, that's a really fun book.

its Lashley

There has been a disgusting rise of bleeding cool links being posted here recently.

they got the scoops!

Maybe Rich actually managed to get a gaf account

Who could it be hmmmm
If Rich was here, you would know it. He searches for his name and joins conversations to defend himself or act like he doesn't know what the problem is. He did it to a group of my friends on Twitter when one of them mentioned him. They weren't talking to him and no one used his @ name.

Top Bottom