• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And now for something random, whats the best Huntress story?

Sandfox

While that would have been indisputably amazing, Gotham is already the best comic book TV show ever.

Probably bring him in to replace new Wally after he ages out of the team.
The only way I see KF Wally being replaced is if people just don't take to him which is very possible. I pity the writer who has to fix Bart though lol.

And now for something random, whats the best Huntress story?

Cry for Blood #1-6, a mini by Greg Rucka and Rich Burchett

also the JL episodes where she teams up with the Question

edit: Psych, I got no idea b. Ed sent me one email to submit some of my opinions, but I've never been delegated to work on anything in any official capacity.

PsychBat!

Banned

edit: Psych, I got no idea b. Ed sent me one email to submit some of my opinions, but I've never been delegated to work on anything in any official capacity.

Ah sounds like he's doing the bulk of the work then. I only did the book he wanted me to do.

Yup Cry for blood is the best

PsychBat!

Banned
zxDqgoD.jpg

Got more amiibos.

frye

I'm reading The Spire and I picked up that Alan Brennart Batman book today

comics... might not be a mistake after all

I'm reading The Spire and I picked up that Alan Brennart Batman book today

comics... might not be a mistake after all

Oh no, they definitely are.

So I downloaded Gone Home today for PS4. It was a PS+ freebie a month or two ago, so I added it to my library back then. Played the whole thing in one sitting. Not at all what I expected, but really good.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, they definitely are.

So I downloaded Gone Home today for PS4. It was a PS+ freebie a month or two ago, so I added it to my library back then. Played the whole thing in one sitting. Not at all what I expected, but really good.

Technically, you can beat it in under a minute. There's even a trophy for it.

Good game. Also not what I expected.

frye

Please post opinions once you've read this. I know JC has been recommending it too.

I've only read one of these issues before, but it's really really good. From what I understand, even though Brennert only wrote a dozen or so issues of Batman comics pretty much all of them are considered classics.

Wonder Woman #1 - This continues on with the stuff from the Rebirth issue that I wasn't really enjoying. I know there will eventually be more to it, but I shouldn't be all the way to the end of the second issue before anything happens. And then the thing that happens isn't even an interesting twist or anything, it's just a character popping out. It really bothers me when writers pace comics like this when they know what people have to pay for them.

Wonder Woman #2 - I think the approach of alternating chapters of two different stories with two different artists is a good one. But with the way Rucka paces these books, it just adds to my frustration. I'm already getting impatient with the current day story taking its time getting going, and now this second story starts off spinning its tires too. This is certainly more dense than the previous two issues, but it still lacks forward momentum or drama.

I feel like the problem here is that Rucka is such a detail-oriented perfectionist that he can't just jump into something like this and hit the ground running. He has to take his time, carefully and meticulously putting all of the little pieces into place and laying the groundwork for how everything is going to connect and evolve instead of just keeping the backstory on his side and letting the reader intuit the background through current events.

Lengthy origins are played out. Give us some important facts in two pages and then tell a new story.

On a more positive note, I have very fond memories of reading a trade of the beginning of the George Perez run many years ago when I was a teenager, so after having a negative experience with these Rucka comics, I picked up the first seven issues of the Perez run on CMX. I want to read those issues again and see if they hold up, and hopefully have a great time and then continue into parts of the run I've never read before.

Messi

Wonder Woman #1 - This continues on with the stuff from the Rebirth issue that I wasn't really enjoying. I know there will eventually be more to it, but I shouldn't be all the way to the end of the second issue before anything happens. And then the thing that happens isn't even an interesting twist or anything, it's just a character popping out. It really bothers me when writers pace comics like this when they know what people have to pay for them.

Wonder Woman #2 - I think the approach of alternating chapters of two different stories with two different artists is a good one. But with the way Rucka paces these books, it just adds to my frustration. I'm already getting impatient with the current day story taking its time getting going, and now this second story starts off spinning its tires too. This is certainly more sense than the previous two issues, but it still lacks forward momentum or drama.

I feel like the problem here is that Rucka is such a detail-oriented perfectionist that he can't just jump into something like this and hit the ground running. He has to take his time, carefully and meticulously putting all of the little pieces into place and laying the groundwork for how everything is going to connect and evolve instead of just keeping the backstory on his side and letting the reader intuit the background through current events.

Lengthy origins are played out. Give us some important facts in two pages and then tell a new story.

On a more positive note, I have very fond memories of reading a trade of the beginning of the George Perez run many years ago when I was a teenager, so after having a negative experience with these Rucka comics, I picked up the first seven issues of the Perez run on CMX. I want to read those issues again and see if they hold up, and hopefully have a great time and then continue into parts of the run I've never read before.

I find Rucka's work reads much better in trade. Especially Lazarus which was heavy on world building early on and now its all awesome as we have this basis to work from.

I've only read one of these issues before, but it's really really good. From what I understand, even though Brennert only wrote a dozen or so issues of Batman comics pretty much all of them are considered classics.

The highest batting average of any Batman writer, blessed with some great artists for his strong scripts. whatsinaname, I know you'd really enjoy it.

speaking of whatsinaname, Im catching up on Astro City. Its really quite good.

Comics: sometimes they're really cool

Astro city is so great. Busiek can be hit or miss and sometimes goes too cheesy on some projects. But always seems to dial it to 11 when he does Astro City. Clearly his #1 love

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I just finished reading Birthright #17

Oh my god this comic is so fucking good.

Yeah it's easily one of the most tightly aced books I read. Never any filler.

Enoch
is one cool mofo...well until he's not.

What did you think of new and improved
Battlmage Brennan
?

I find Rucka's work reads much better in trade. Especially Lazarus which was heavy on world building early on and now its all awesome as we have this basis to work from.
I read the first issue of Larazus when it came out, then the next 20 in one shot. That was definitely the right approach.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah it's easily one of the most tightly aced books I read. Never any filler.

Enoch
is one cool mofo...well until he's not.

What did you think of new and improved
Battlmage Brennan
?

Enoch
is so calm and collected, he's great.

New
White Mage(?) Brennan
is so fucking awesome. This book's cliffhangers are hooking me and I don't want to escape.

Cool. Will include in my next order.

I've read some Batman runs (based on what's available at my library). Never read any which I would consider top tier comics. Hopefully this one is up there.

Astro city is so great. Busiek can be hit or miss and sometimes goes too cheesy on some projects. But always seems to dial it to 11 when he does Astro City. Clearly his #1 love

The highest batting average of any Batman writer, blessed with some great artists for his strong scripts. whatsinaname, I know you'd really enjoy it.

speaking of whatsinaname, Im catching up on Astro City. Its really quite good.

Comics: sometimes they're really cool

Yes! Astro City! I still have 1.5 trades unread, I am afraid to catch up.

Have you reached The Eagle and The Mountain yet? Or are you just reading the latest run?

Messi

I read the first issue of Larazus when it came out, then the next 20 in one shot. That was definitely the right approach.

I read 1-5 as they released and had the same kind of issues you are having with his Wonder Woman. Took a break and just last month got the two Lazarus hardcovers and blasted through them in 2 sittings. Loved it .

Yes! Astro City! I still have 1.5 trades unread, I am afraid to catch up.

Have you reached The Eagle and The Mountain yet? Or are you just reading the latest run?

The Eagle and the Mountain is up there with Busiek/Anderson's best work on the series, with "Confessions" and "Show 'em All"

tim1138

The Eagle and the Mountain is up there with Busiek/Anderson's best work on the series, with "Confessions" and "Show 'em All"

The only time Busiek loses my interest with Astro City is when he uses Steeljack. For whatever reason he's never resonated with me as a character. That said, it's amazing how consistent Astro City is and has been for so long.

Hagi

yea but that was after Batman defeated them like 15-20 years later. Gotham is supposed to be a prequel.

The Mask already exist. no need to change the winning formula

Prequel to what? There is no route to follow here, Gotham is beholden to nothing except Bruce becoming Batman at some point in the future and even that isn't a certainty lol They have been pretty forward about doing what they like so changing the masks to something even more befitting a masquerade ball is a-okay with me. Looking forward to seeing Gordon beat the shit out of a Talon.

TheFlow

Banned
Prequel to what? There is no route to follow here, Gotham is beholden to nothing except Bruce becoming Batman at some point in the future and even that isn't a certainty lol They have been pretty forward about doing what they like so changing the masks to something even more befitting a masquerade ball is a-okay with me. Looking forward to seeing Gordon beat the shit out of a Talon.

Isn't gotham set in the past with a young bruce, penguin, and riddler? A Talon losing would be wtf worthy.

TheFlow

Banned
Batman #1

Great issue! Batman is the king of prep, and I loved his talk with Alfred and Duke. I love How REBIRTH Batman is always giving his sidekicks huge probs. He
acknowledges that Dick is as good of a teacher as he is.
I really want to see Duke suit up more because I liked his yellow costume; super stylish.

5/5 great set piece.

Batman #2

Nothing noteworthy this issue. Just Batman being Batman.

3/5

Hagi

Isn't gotham set in the past with a young bruce, penguin, and riddler? A Talon losing would be wtf worthy.

Gordon will beat up or kill a Talon is season 3, mark my words. The show has introduced a large amount of his rogue gallery already from what I've heard about season 2 so all bets are off as to what they will do.

Top Bottom