• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Gordon will beat up or kill a Talon is season 3, mark my words. The show has introduced a large amount of his rogue gallery already from what I've heard about season 2 so all bets are off as to what they will do.

I'm expecting the inevitable fight with a Talon to go down more like the various Galavan fights tbh.

The only time Busiek loses my interest with Astro City is when he uses Steeljack. For whatever reason he's never resonated with me as a character. That said, it's amazing how consistent Astro City is and has been for so long.
For me I'd say Dark Age over stayed it's welcome. I was sooo hyped when he was finally tackling and liked the overall tale but felt it just lasted too long (when reading it as singles as they came out back in the day)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Agents of SHIELD #1 - who is this book for? The show has awful ratings so they cant expect the few people that watch it to rush out and get what is essentially a tie-in, and if its supposed to be the opposite, well thats just silly. I mean, did the previous volume sell a lot or something to justify this?

Anyway the book itself was whatever, I already forgot most of it.

TheFlow

Banned
Superman #1

I got goosebumps, not many comics make me go back and re-read certain panels 2-4 times but this did. I felt so bad for Jon
Trying to save your pet, only to kill it is tragic. and then being shooked by Batman and Wonder woman showing up wow.
The art and color is also top notch. I think we got a good creative team on this book

5/5 don't stop

Superman #2
Yet another great issue. Superman's new costume along with the great coloring brings it to life. The family moments were great, but this new threat is kinda confusing to me. Hopefully the bad guy stuff gets easier to follow

4/5

so far Superman and New Superman is on full throttle

Messi

Superman #1

I got goosebumps, not many comics make me go back and re-read certain panels 2-4 times but this did. I felt so bad for Jon
Trying to save your pet, only to kill it is tragic. and then being shooked by Batman and Wonder woman showing up wow.
The art and color is also top notch. I think we got a good creative team on this book

5/5 don't stop

Superman #2
Yet another great issue. Superman's new costume along with the great coloring brings it to life. The family moments were great, but this new threat is kinda confusing to me. Hopefully the bad guy stuff gets easier to follow

4/5

so far Superman and New Superman is on full throttle

Never in doubt when Tomasi and Gleason are together. Their Batman and Robin was incredible. Gleasons art is incredible.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I approve of this week's comics news:

SicDH1l.jpg
Royal City - Multigenerational family drama, done entirely by Jeff Lemire. It'll debut next year through Image, planned for 20 issues right now.

Ether - Matt Kindt and David Rubin have a 5 issue series at Dark Horse starting in November. It follows an interdimensional explorer reconciling his scientific mind with the real magic of another world.

TheFlow

Banned
Anytime you see Jeff lemire Coming out with a new series done entirely by him you better jump on it. I think his best work comes from his own original titles. Looks great

Never in doubt when Tomasi and Gleason are together. Their Batman and Robin was incredible. Gleasons art is incredible.
waiting for the Cmx to jump on all of it

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anytime you see Jeff lemire Coming out with a new series done entirely by him you better jump on it. I think his best work comes from his own original titles. Looks great
Word. He's got his Roughneck graphic novel coming in April, too, via one of Simon & Schuster's imprints. That's finally arriving after being announced nearly three years ago.

TheFlow

Banned
Jupiter's Legacy vol.1

Probably one of the best first volumes I have read in a while. The fact that this was a freebie blows my mind. I need more of this book asap.

7/5 yea that good

edit: sorry for double post

TheFlow

Banned
I've yet to try a Lemire creator owned book because he always seems to work with artists I don't care for.
Essex county, water welder, descender, sweet tooth.

Are all great but Essex county is one of my favorite graphic novels of all time. Glad to see eh is going to back to his roots again

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The 6th Gun #9 - I knew
Kirby
was too good to be true! I don't think he'll end up being that bad in end though. Bunn's dialogue gets better by the issue. Bunn also does a great job of letting the art tell the story at times and the artist does a great job of telling that story.

Essex county, water welder, descender, sweet tooth.

Are all great but Essex county is one of my favorite graphic novels of all time. Glad to see eh is going to back to his roots again

I'll check out Essex County and Sweetooth (Twisted Metal fan fic?).

Descender is one I was specifically referring to when I mentioned art I don't care for. Plutona was the other one I was thinking of.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #6 - Dat Salem origin story. ������

This is always one of the last books I read on whichever week it comes out, and it always turns out to be a really great comic.

edit: sorry for double post

No you're not.

Owzers

Finally got a Mercy legendary skin.

Imp.

The worst.

Only read another issue of Amazing Spider-Man on MU today, the new arc starting with #6, just as dull as the rest of the issues. I bet I'll like the next one though.

Sandfox

Imp.

The worst.

Only read another issue of Amazing Spider-Man on MU today, the new arc starting with #6, just as dull as the rest of the issues. I bet I'll like the next one though.

Slott has clearly been killing time in the ANAD run to set up the story he really wants to tell.

Agents of SHIELD #1 - who is this book for? The show has awful ratings so they cant expect the few people that watch it to rush out and get what is essentially a tie-in, and if its supposed to be the opposite, well thats just silly. I mean, did the previous volume sell a lot or something to justify this?

I enjoyed the pre-SW run of that book. Waid's run, obviously. Took a very sharp downturn after that, however. After the first couple issues I dropped it. I only bothered to pick up the Standoff tie-in.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting Simonson's Thor, but I'm trying a new thing where I don't just devour it 12 issues at a time. I'm only going one a day. Last night was the introduction of Beta Ray Bill, today's was their fight for Mjolnir. It's real good so far, and I love how easily BRB picks up the hammer. It makes the idea that none of Thor's friends (save Cap at dramatic moments) can't pick it up a bit ridiculous.

PsychBat!

Banned

The show has awful ratings? That's actually news to me.
Anyways, this book is corporate synergy at it's weirdest.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's ratings aren't awful, but they are not of a show worth keeping for more than two seasons. Or even one.

I agree. I'm just saying that someone stating the show having awful ratings is something I have never seen on this forum. Not even in the TV cancellation thread.

On the show itself, I have never thought it was anything beyond "good". It was mostly decent, and anyone saying an episode was great or that it had a compelling character arc is just cringe inducing. Now that I think about it, I have an issue with the fanbase rather than the show itself.

The only reason Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is getting another season is that it can go into syndication if they do one more.

It makes me sad that it's continuing and Agent Carter is no more.

Messi

Imp.

The worst.

The imp skin is awesome. Get the fuck outta here.

Drop the book. The bitchy, jaded "I buy things I know I'm going to hate" comic book reader is a bad look.

His Hulk was good, and he had the only non-Spencer Standoff issue I enjoyed.

Oh no, it's definitely dropped. It's just been downhill after the first issue so I don't kmow what I was thinking picking up this issue thinking it might pick up.

Dropping a bunch of stuff this week actually. Flash somehow managed to be just as bad, if not worse then the first issue.

On the other hand, really enjoyed Wonder Woman #2. But hated #1. Ugh.. I'm conflicted on what to do. Maybe I'll just skip every other issue.

TheFlow

Banned
The 6th Gun #9 - I knew
Kirby
was too good to be true! I don't think he'll end up being that bad in end though. Bunn's dialogue gets better by the issue. Bunn also does a great job of letting the art tell the story at times and the artist does a great job of telling that story.

I'll check out Essex County and Sweetooth (Twisted Metal fan fic?).

Descender is one I was specifically referring to when I mentioned art I don't care for. Plutona was the other one I was thinking of.
Descender's art is sooo gorgeous though

Ross61

Can't relate to the Flash hate. I'm really loving it, but that may be because I haven't read much Flash before. But this is good comics regardless.

I'm starting Simonson's Thor, but I'm trying a new thing where I don't just devour it 12 issues at a time. I'm only going one a day. Last night was the introduction of Beta Ray Bill, today's was their fight for Mjolnir. It's real good so far, and I love how easily BRB picks up the hammer. It makes the idea that none of Thor's friends (save Cap at dramatic moments) can't pick it up a bit ridiculous.

Thats a good idea, to savor one of Marvel's best runs. Especially those older comics, which weren't meant to be gobbled up all at the same time.

Really enjoying American Flagg. Well constructed future dystopia. Good pacing and interesting characters. Some great layouts.

A dope comic where now you can start to see the influence it had on everything from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns, Paul Verhooeven's Robocop, Wes Craig's work on Deadly Class, etc.

Top Bottom