• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Echo, that dog thread, I didnt want to say anything there for obvious reasons, but is that like a suburban American thing, for dogs to be loose like that?

I have never, nor will I ever be outside with any dog I own without a leash. Granted I live in a city, but even then I still sometimes see people with no leash on their dogs and just cringe at seeing cars coming or something. Having a dog run over by a car is up there with my worst nightmares (which is why im also so paranoid with my doors)

Sandfox

The more I read about Death of X the more interested I become. Thankfully Marvel isn't going to be dragging it out and Lemire is saying things that could be taken as hopeful lol.

I'm hoping for some good words out of the X-Men and Spider-Man comic panels.

Echo, that dog thread, I didnt want to say anything there for obvious reasons, but is that like a suburban American thing, for dogs to be loose like that?

I have never, nor will I ever be outside with any dog I own without a leash. Granted I live in a city, but even then I still sometimes see people with no leash on their dogs and just cringe at seeing cars coming or something. Having a dog run over by a car is up there with my worst nightmares (which is why im also so paranoid with my doors)
I think it really depends on the person and their pet.

It's not universal or anything. I never let my dog out front off leash (but then he's a bullmastiff). We are extremely careful with our pets; both our cats are indoor-only as well. But yeah it happens often enough that sometimes those things just happen.

One of my neighbors has a little dog that she likes to let run around when she takes her kids to the bus stop in the morning. The shit that dog gets into just blows my mind, man. It runs under the bus and refuses to come out, or chases it. It ran up to my car once and I just had to stop in the middle of the road and ask the kids waiting at the stop if it was gone. That's a tragedy waiting to happen if you ask me, right in front of a bunch of kids. And they never do anything to stop it, they rarely even call it when it's running around in the road. It's a really small dog too so it wouldn't take much, especially with a fucking school bus. I don't get it at all.

Messi

So here is Bill Sienkiewicz variant cover for Harley #1. He was commissioned to draw a series of variants to go along with the regular issues (I wonder if the contract is a long as Cho's was at 24 issues). I am usually a fan of his work but this does nothing for me.

jun160219d.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
The more I read about Death of X the more interested I become. Thankfully Marvel isn't going to be dragging it out and Lemire is saying things that could be taken as hopeful lol.

I think it really depends on the person and their pet.
My most hyped event next to saga's first event this fall

So here is Bill Sienkiewicz variant cover for Harley #1. He was commissioned to draw a series of variants to go along with the regular issues (I wonder if the contract is a long as Cho's was at 24 issues). I am usually a fan of his work but this does nothing for me.

It looks kinda creepy. Are those supposed to be Joker's hands on her face?

Messi

It looks kinda creepy. Are those supposed to be Joker's hands on her face?

I took them to be severed hands. Maybe they are Jokers severed hands considering how comic Harley feels about Joker right now.

Oh and another thing. This cover seems tonally waaaay different than the book that team is putting out. There are so many other artists that fit into the style of the book and could do great work.

Oh and another thing. This cover seems tonally waaaay different than the book that team is putting out. There are so many other artists that fit into the style of the book and could do great work.

That was confirmed the minute they got Bill Sienkiewicz on board

Messi

That was confirmed the minute they got Bill Sienkiewicz on board

Oh I am very aware of the fact that this was done knowingly. You don't hire that man if you don't want art like this. I just think it is a very odd choice for a book that has gone out of its way to be light and fun.

Thanks. Out of curiousity, are there any differences between paperbacks and hardcovers, besides what kind of cover you get?

Like Freeza said, HCs may have extra stuff.

Some hardcovers are slightly larger in size than the paperbacks/single issues (I mean page size, not thickness of book). But they are priced higher too. Marvel calls them oversized hard covers and DC calls them deluxe editions.

Trickster

Alright thanks for the quick answers guys.

But I found another question :p

Basically, I was checking out the Infinity hardcover on that cheap comics site. And in the description it says this -
Collecting INFINITY #1-6, NEW AVENGERS (2013) #7-12, AVENGERS (2012) #12-23 and INFINITY INFINITE COMIC #1-2. Product Update (11/20/2013): Will now contain Infinity #1-#6, New Avengers #7-#12, Avengers #12-#23, and Infinity: Against the Tide Infinite Comic #1-#2 Product Update (12/12/2013): FOC change to December 16; On Sale Date remains February 5; will no longer contain content from Avengers #12 & #13

Does this mean that these big event books actually contain more than just the primary 6-8 issues from an event?

Does this mean that these big event books actually contain more than just the primary 6-8 issues from an event?

Depends on the story. In the case of Infinity, it was a big event that involved the Avengers books as well. The issues of Infinity itself covered the main portion of the story, but you'd miss a lot of it if you didn't read Avengers and New Avengers as well.

This is actually the reading order for Infinity (and the order in which the issues are printed in the Infinity trade):

Trickster

Depends on the story. In the case of Infinity, it was a big event that involved the Avengers books as well. The issues of Infinity itself covered the main portion of the story, but you'd miss a lot of it if you didn't read Avengers and New Avengers as well.

This is actually the reading order for Infinity (and the order in which the issues are printed in the Infinity trade):

Uhm, so just to be complety clear. The big Infinity hardcover book contain not only the 1-6 issues of infinty, but also the relevant avengers and new avengers issues that's on that checklist?

VanWinkle

Uhm, so just to be complety clear. The big Infinity hardcover book contain not only the 1-6 issues of infinty, but also the relevant avengers and new avengers issues that's on that checklist?

Honestly this kind of thing can get VERY convoluted. Try to keep it simple at first. Some events contain only the event, some contain the event and some essential tie-ins, and some contain the event and all of the tie-ins. Just pay attention to the description.

As an Inhumans fan and an X-Men fan, I am insanely excited for Death of X

Trickster

Honestly this kind of thing can get VERY convoluted. Try to keep it simple at first. Some events contain only the event, some contain the event and some essential tie-ins, and some contain the event and all of the tie-ins. Just pay attention to the description.

Basically my entire comic experience thus far lol.

I basically said fuck it and just made a list of series I wanted to give a shot. Sorted them by year and started reading one a time

Also the most boring.

I rather enjoyed his arc in Waid's DD. Also excited for what North and Henderson's take on him is.

I basically said fuck it and just made a list of series I wanted to give a shot. Sorted them by year and started reading one a time

Have you considered getting a couple of months of Marvel Unlimited? (They have one month free codes sometimes). Will help you decide what characters/writers you might want to dig deeper into.

Marvel does so many relaunches and renumberings that it can be very confusing to new readers. If you decide you want to continue the big Marvel stories after Infinity, these are the next two you would need to read:

It's all top-notch stuff.

VanWinkle

So, I'm a pretty new comics reader. Been doing it for a little over a year, almost exclusively in hardcovers and trade paperbacks. The absolute BEST advice I can give you is to start with a bunch of standalone or mostly self-contained runs and/or stories. Find characters that interest you and there are plenty of good runs/miniseries/etc for them. We'd be happy to recommend you stuff.

But you may be a long-time comics reader that is just now getting into the collected editions. Regardless, if you say some characters you're interested in, we could almost definitely recommend stuff.

Trickster

Have you considered getting a couple of months of Marvel Unlimited? (They have one month free codes sometimes). Will help you decide what characters/writers you might want to dig deeper into.

I'm already using Marvel Unlimited as my means of reading their stuff :)

Marvel does so many relaunches and renumberings that it can be very confusing to new readers. If you decide you want to continue the big Marvel stories after Infinity, these are the next two you would need to read:

It's all top-notch stuff.

I dunno, I don't really have a problem with the relaunches and renumberings. My main issue I think, is that these characters have been around for litterally a decade or more. And so when I as a newcomer am trying to get into the Marvel universe, there's so many references to past events, and/or character/organizations that are namedropped or introduced constantly with little to no explanation. Which can make it quite confusing to properly understand what's going on.

What I've decided to do in to try and avoid that problem, has really just been to read pretty much everything that is part of the proper marvel universe going back to right after the end of the first civil war event. Basically I have a list of close to 200 series/runs I want to try reading...So far I've read like 10 lol. I consider my comic book reading a long term project :p

Sandfox

I'm already using Marvel Unlimited as my means of reading their stuff :)

I dunno, I don't really have a problem with the relaunches and renumberings. My main issue I think, is that these characters have been around for litterally a decade or more. And so when I as a newcomer am trying to get into the Marvel universe, there's so many references to past events, and/or character/organizations that are namedropped or introduced constantly with little to no explanation. Which can make it quite confusing to properly understand what's going on.

What I've decided to do in to try and avoid that problem, has really just been to read pretty everything that is part of the proper marvel universe going back to right after the end of the first civil war event. Basically I have a list of close to 200 series/runs I want to try reading...So far I've read like 10 lol.

It really depends on the character, but you can honestly jump on at pretty much any point and your knowledge will increase the more you read and discuss comic related things, especially when many of the current books aren't that far in. If you want to go back multiple years Marvel Now from 2012 seems to be a popular spot outside of certain books like Spider-Man, which would be a bit awkward.

duckroll

So erm, I was told Manhattan Projects is completed. I bought it all, and I just finished #25, and erm, it's clearly not finished? I haven't read Sun Beyond The Stars yet, but isn't it a spinoff of sorts? I feel lied to...

The Dead Or Alive movie is my guilty pleasure lmao. It's such a fun movie. I probably like it more than Mortal Kombat tbh.

Anyways anyone still reading Injustice? Is Year Five any interesting?

Top Bottom