• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

So erm, I was told Manhattan Projects is completed. I bought it all, and I just finished #25, and erm, it's clearly not finished? I haven't read Sun Beyond The Stars yet, but isn't it a spinoff of sorts? I feel lied to...

So far as I know, the book underwent something of a format change. Sun Beyond the Stars is the first manifestation of that. If it's what I'm thinking, each new story will have its own numbering similar to the way Dark Horse handles a lot of their books. So you'll have Manhattan Projects: Subtitle #1-X for each arc.

Old fantastic four comics are the best. It feels like everyone on the team is on the edge of going nuts.

Someone has a mental breakdown every issue. Usually Sue or Reed. I remember Sue changing her hair style because no one was paying attention to her. Then she went invisible ON A MISSION WHERE THEY WERE BEING SHOT AT. Then when they were wondering where she was, she went "oh NOW you start to pay attention," and I thought Reed was going to beat her.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They must not have announced anything during the Star Wars comic panel in celebration cus I've seen nothing about it.

Old Man Logan #8

buffy.gif

The Vision #9

tumblr_nmkx7bcYce1qg1euzo2_250.gif

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1

fcd7ac80-4408-0133-5ba7-0aecee5a8273.gif

Action Comics #959

12054271.gif

Detective Comics #936

tumblr_nlh3olZjyb1qlqsnio1_500-1430494442.gif

Sandfox

Old Man Logan #8

buffy.gif

The Vision #9

tumblr_nmkx7bcYce1qg1euzo2_250.gif

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Rebirth #1

fcd7ac80-4408-0133-5ba7-0aecee5a8273.gif

Action Comics #959

12054271.gif

Detective Comics #936

tumblr_nlh3olZjyb1qlqsnio1_500-1430494442.gif
Old Man Logan is the real deal. Between that book and All-New Wolverine regular Logan can stay gone IMO.

Nopw hopefully Waid can deliver on what he said about young Cyclops.

Messi

I guess I've never really had an expectation that variant covers have anything at all to do with the contents of the book.

(I am Riskington.)

Amanda Conner did a large majority of the variants for the first series and they were all tonally in line with the series. This is quite a shift.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Echo, that dog thread, I didnt want to say anything there for obvious reasons, but is that like a suburban American thing, for dogs to be loose like that?

I have never, nor will I ever be outside with any dog I own without a leash. Granted I live in a city, but even then I still sometimes see people with no leash on their dogs and just cringe at seeing cars coming or something. Having a dog run over by a car is up there with my worst nightmares (which is why im also so paranoid with my doors)

Same. Then again I own Huskies and they are never to be trusted.

So erm, I was told Manhattan Projects is completed. I bought it all, and I just finished #25, and erm, it's clearly not finished? I haven't read Sun Beyond The Stars yet, but isn't it a spinoff of sorts? I feel lied to...

I find it strange how you only want to read stuff that is already finished. Then again I HATE ending so I am probably the strange one. I usually am.

200_s.gif

I doubt we'll get a sequel, but we're supposed to get Marvel Heroes on console at some point. Some key guy from that development team left the company a while back and had this farewell stream where he got drunk and said that was happening. It was suspected anyway because they went back and added controller support to the PC version.

(I am Riskington.)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Luckily I don't get hangovers :p

Drank last night for the first time in 2 years, was shit, clubs were boring, people were idiots.

Reminds me why I don't go out drinking anymore.

I've gotten hangovers since I was 21 and died of alcohol poisoning*.

I don't remember last night after about 9. My theory on drinking is if you can remember what you did the night before you didn't drink enough.

* I got bettah

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Looks like we were all drinking last night.

Though I am a lightweight. So a couple of craft beers is enough to give me a buzz

I think I drank about half a bottle of Captain Morgan. Not for sure since I left the bottle there. The bigger problem was this was the first time I'd drank since New Years Eve. I'm much more of a smoker these days but I couldn't do that there because it was my boss's party and she hates the doob........while smoking a pack of cigs a day.

Messi

The end of Walking Dead HC Vol 7 is savage.
Michonne chopping off and arm, Rick chopping off his girlfriends have so she gets eaten by zombies and then Carl straight up takes a bullet to the face/eye. Brutal.

TheFlow

Banned
I think I drank about half a bottle of Captain Morgan. Not for sure since I left the bottle there. The bigger problem was this was the first time I'd drank since New Years Eve. I'm much more of a smoker these days but I couldn't do that there because it was my boss's party and she hates the doob........while smoking a pack of cigs a day.
Damn half a bottle! Cray

arkon

You were fed some poor information then. They decided to change up the structure of the series post issue 25 and continue the story as a series of miniseries. The Sun Beyond The Stars is the first (and possibly the last?) of those. It got hit with a lot of delays and took them almost a year to get that miniseries out. I don't know if they have plans to do more at this stage.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've gotten hangovers since I was 21 and died of alcohol poisoning*.

I don't remember last night after about 9. My theory on drinking is if you can remember what you did the night before you didn't drink enough.

* I got bettah

If I get too drunk, I can't trust myself, I do silly things

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
When I get too drunk, I must hug everyone, because they're so lovely and mean so much to me. Then I find a comfy spot to lie down and I got to sleep. The two times I've blacked out, my friend have found me a little down the road curled up asleep on a lawn.

Messi

When I get too drunk, I must hug everyone, because they're so lovely and mean so much to me. Then I find a comfy spot to lie down and I got to sleep. The two times I've blacked out, my friend have found me a little down the road curled up asleep on a lawn.

I am a messi drunk.

I still find those early Fantastic Four comics very fascinating. The FF werent celebrities, they were freakshows. Conservative America hated them. They were unexpected and unsettling. And for the first time in superhero comic history, there was a real continuity from issue to issue. Somewhere along the way, the characters were codified into cliches, and their "best" stories(the one's held as the creative peak) introducing Black Panther, the Negative Zone, the Inhumans, the Watcher, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Dr Doom...it became more about the adventures they got into and not the protagonists themselves. I think that's why its a concept that frequently feels like its on the edge of breaking and needing reinventing or being cancelled outright(as it is now). Its like this embalmed period piece that became about spectacle and its just haunted the comic ever since. Everyone always constantly in the shadow of Jack Kirby's creativity.

I still find those early Fantastic Four comics very fascinating. The FF werent celebrities, they were freakshows. Conservative America hated them. They were unexpected and unsettling. And for the first time in superhero comic history, there was a real continuity from issue to issue. Somewhere along the way, the characters were codified into cliches, and their "best" stories(the one's held as the creative peak) introducing Black Panther, the Negative Zone, the Inhumans, the Watcher, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Dr Doom...it became more about the adventures they got into and not the protagonists themselves. I think that's why its a concept that frequently feels like its on the edge of breaking and needing reinventing or being cancelled outright(as it is now). Its like this embalmed period piece that became about spectacle and its just haunted the comic ever since. Everyone always constantly in the shadow of Jack Kirby's creativity.

I think that sort of identity crisis existed in early Hulk comics as well. The Hulk isn't a power fantasy, he is terrifying, something his alter ego wants to get rid of. And instead of the "leave Hulk alone" characterization that we got in later years with Trimpe on the book, Kirby and Lee's Hulk openly wanted to kill people. Lots of people. In a way Hulk was the hero and the villain of the story, and all those weird sci-fi villains that popped up were weird distractions.

Is it going to include the DLC, too? Because fucking EA pulled from the store and brought it back multipl times, but I never had the game when they had it up there so I never got to download. Even worse, the first version I got was the Wii version, which Gamestop allowed me to pre-order with the Juggernaut DLC bonus code. Problem? The Wii didn't have DLC options at the time. So now I have this worthless code that I couldn't use. I got the PS3 version eventually and tried to use the code, but it didn't work because EA pulled the content.
Old Man Logan is the real deal. Between that book and All-New Wolverine regular Logan can stay gone IMO.

Nopw hopefully Waid can deliver on what he said about young Cyclops.
Agreed on all counts

Ponn

Banned
Finally finished Rat Queens Deluxe. Hoping the 2nd one doesn't take too long to come out. Excellent fucking book, lots of interesting extras in the back with artwork and short one page spotlights on characters. The Braga one shot is also entertaining for some back story on what seemed like a background character. Loved how tongue in cheek this entire book is yet it doesn't degrade the story or turn it into some kind of spoof book. I could see how having a collected edition of this may turn someone off of it though. Taken as a monthly comic it may be refreshing but having so much of thrown at you all at once may turn someone off of it.

Ok, turning my full attention back to Foes of Spidey.

Messi

Finally finished Rat Queens Deluxe. Hoping the 2nd one doesn't take too long to come out. Excellent fucking book, lots of interesting extras in the back with artwork and short one page spotlights on characters. The Braga one shot is also entertaining for some back story on what seemed like a background character. Loved how tongue in cheek this entire book is yet it doesn't degrade the story or turn it into some kind of spoof book. I could see how having a collected edition of this may turn someone off of it though. Taken as a monthly comic it may be refreshing but having so much of thrown at you all at once may turn someone off of it.

Ok, turning my full attention back to Foes of Spidey.

The book went to shit after and turned fairly serious after that last issue you read. Kurtis Wiebe doesn't know how to get back to what made it great and the book is now on indefinite hiatus after he tried to bring back Roc Upchurch post assault on his wife. He also tried to do this all behind the current artist Tess Fowlers back but she blew his shit up on Twitter.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....s-depature-upchurchs-return-wiebe-denies.html

Don't hold your breath. That first hardcover was wonderful tho.

The book went to shit after that last issue you read. Kurtis Wiebe doesn't know how to get back to what made it great and the book is now on indefinite hiatus after he tried to bring back Roc Upchurch post assault on his wife. He also tried to do this all behind the current artist Tess Fowler.

Don't hold your breath. That first hardcover was wonderful tho.

I'm a non-drinker, but what happened to that book makes alcoholism very tempting.

It still hurts. It will always hurt, webcomic or no webcomic.

Top Bottom