• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Owzers

Howard the Duck #8 was okay but it was the last issue i pre-ordered and i'm letting it fade away even before it's canceled. This run provided a few nice moments wrapped around nothing i'll remember outside of some wauggggggghs.

I don't think Civil War 2 has been middling so far.

I'm talking about finished events, Messi-kun. I won't make a judgement before CWII is done. But a lot of Marvel events are great for the first couple issues and then jump the shark. Fear Itself and Original Sin are both examples of this.

So in...

FF#1 - We get Mole Man ( a villain that is still around and active today).
FF#2 - We get the Skrulls
FF#4 - We get Namor reintroduced (and Sou Da's avatar it seems)
FF#5 - We get Doctor Doom

Damn, at this rate, was all of modern marvel created in just a couple of years or something.

So in...

Damn, at this rate, was all of modern marvel created in just a couple of years or something.
Pretty much.

Early Spider-Man was almost the same way

Busaiku

So in...

Peter was out of college in like 10 years since his introduction.
It's been like 5 years since.

TheFlow

Banned
Thought you were going digital and selling your physical books?
I did but I got absolute preacher and was like one more couldn't hurt.

But yea everything I own is gone except for some cheap hardcovers and absolute preacher. Not going to miss the marvel stuff since I can read that anytime

Have I ever told you guys about the time I got Absolute Death for $25 from a Barnes & Noble clearance sale? :D
Yea everytime. My B&N has all star batman and robin by frank miller but I heard that sucks :/

ElNarez

Banned
So in...

yeah there's a reason why Marvel says its universe started at Fantastic Four #1

Ponn

Banned
I did but I got absolute preacher and was like one more couldn't hurt.

But yea everything I own is gone except for some cheap hardcovers and absolute preacher. Not going to miss the marvel stuff since I can read that anytime

What we tell ourselves to enable Absolute purchases. Those Sandman Absolutes are honestly works of art though. Enjoy them.

I don't know if B&N should even bother carrying Absolutes. No one pays list price for those things anymore.

I refuse to buy used books at new prices from B & N anyways.

Hagi

I recently found out how Kyle died in Injustice.

..................it's pretty brutal.

All it needed was Sinestro taking his mustache. Was a bit much for me but that seems to be Injustice on the whole to be honest. The novelty of the series wore off rather fast.

All it needed was Sinestro taking his mustache. Was a bit much for me but that seems to be Injustice on the whole to be honest. The novelty of the series wore off rather fast.
It's just funny how DC won't allow fatalities in the game yet in the comic they allow the characters to die in the most grotesque MK like way. Like, Jesus dude, he already died from suffocating did you have to take it a step further?

Grayson's death is still hilarious.

Hagi

It's just funny how DC won't allow fatalities in the game yet in the comic they allow the characters to die in the most grotesque MK like way. Like, Jesus dude, he already died from suffocating did you have to take it a step further?

Yeah it's not even like deaths in DC can't be gruesome it's just all of this is so low brow it sticks out even more. The way Dick died did make me laugh for how ridiculous it was. I guess in regards to game vs comic it's an accessibility thing.

I think the difference is that Injustice isn't the main DCU, so they're more willing to let the creative team go nuts. Kind of the way Marvel did with Ultimatum. The difference between Injustice the comic and Injustice the game is the size of the audience. A lot more people are going to play the game than read the comic, and they want to keep the game open to as much of the audience as possible. An M-rating would seriously curtail that potential audience.

I think the difference is that Injustice isn't the main DCU, so they're more willing to let the creative team go nuts. Kind of the way Marvel did with Ultimatum. The difference between Injustice the comic and Injustice the game is the size of the audience. A lot more people are going to play the game than read the comic, and they want to keep the game open to as much of the audience as possible. An M-rating would seriously curtail that potential audience.
After Arkham Knight they can make exception.

Although AK's M rating was super tame.

mreddie

Howard the Duck #8 was okay but it was the last issue i pre-ordered and i'm letting it fade away even before it's canceled. This run provided a few nice moments wrapped around nothing i'll remember outside of some wauggggggghs.

The relaunch sucked and only got good with the Beverly issue. I assume the ANAD restart kinda messed things up but like Ant-Man, I assume this was planned.

Quick question that I might make a OT, do you guys like when comics get political? I follow a guy on Twitter who hates the recent Marvel books because of the LIBERAL AGENDA! (Turning some heroes into women is somehow a issue) and it got me wondering, aren't some books based on the political climate at the time? Hulk was made in fear of the Cold War, Iron Man was made due to the rich outnumbering the poor back in the 60s.

Messi

I'm talking about finished events, Messi-kun. I won't make a judgement before CWII is done. But a lot of Marvel events are great for the first couple issues and then jump the shark. Fear Itself and Original Sin are both examples of this.

Original Sin was crap from day one

every single work of art is political to some degree. It will always expose the author's own values and attitudes. Its a case by case basis if you like the work in question or not.

Peter was out of college in like 10 years since his introduction.
It's been like 5 years since.
The problem with keeping that pace going is that if you follow it to its logical conclusion, you get to Parker Industries. Let us be grateful for all the years of no meaningful progress.

every single work of art is political to some degree. It will always expose the author's own values and attitudes. Its a case by case basis if you like the work in question or not.
This. Before comics got to this phase where they're being criticized by some for having a political agenda, they were still a product of a system that favors the white, the male, and the straight, resulting in a product where those things are the default and disproportionally most prominent. Also, especially with superheroes, the idea of what is moral. That isn't apolitical just because it might not have been as deliberate and conscious.

frye

reminder that Engelhart made Nixon the leader of the Secret Empire in the 70s

Marvel has a long history of employing hippies

reminder that Gruenwald made Captain America really sad about shooting a terrorist with a gun cuz he's never shot guns despite being in WW2

CaptainAmerica322p04_edited.jpg

Copy%20of%20CaptainAmerica322p04_edited_001.jpg

Original Sin might be the worst Marvel event (of the ones I've read) since Disassembled kicked off the modern event era.

And I like Jason Aaron so much that I think he's the only writer working today where I will buy every issue he produces whether it sounds interesting on paper or not.

mreddie

You guys act like Sin kicked your dog, I liked the Iron Man vs. Hulk mini and some of the tie ins. I think the 2nd half is when shit got dumb. Especially when Strange/Rocket/Punisher teamed up.

Original Sin might be the worst Marvel event (of the ones I've read) since Disassembled kicked off the modern event era.

And I like Jason Aaron so much that I think he's the only writer working today where I will buy every issue he produces whether it sounds interesting on paper or not.
It's bad. But Axis is easily worse. And fear itself I'd say is worse as well

Original Sin left me feeling like a great Marvel even wasn't even possible. Like if Jason Aaron can't even pull it off, then there's some larger problem with the way events are produced and it doesn't even matter who writes them.

But then I adored Secret Wars, so I don't know what to think. I still think of that one as an anomaly.

It's bad. But Axis is easily worse. And fear itself I'd say is worse as well
I didn't read Axis and probably never will. Remender's Marvel work never did a lot for me and I stopped reading all of it before Axis came along.

Top Bottom