• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Getting a new bed so I'll have to stack all my books up elsewhere. Will post pics for the first time of my small collection!

Leaving for NYC tomorrow so I'll not be able to post as much for a week.

Owzers

M7RYRBm.gif

I'm going to be bankrupt
Just think of hot toys as a way to vary your assets like investing in gold or variant covers.

Sonic got rebooted with #55 being the first issue after for Universe.

I haven't read any Sonic since the reboot and need to catch up since I got everything in the humble bundle.
I knew it got rebooted a few years ago. Wasn't sure at what point it happened, though.
It's remarkable how many people still don't understand what a Rotten Tomatoes score is actually saying. It's 2016.
What is it saying, then?

Just catching up on some of my Marvel books from last week. Vision continues to be amazing, Civil War 2 continues to be meh.

"Hey guys! Know how we are told this one thing will happen? Let's go see if it will happen!"

"You mean like alone? To kind of get a feel for the situation?"

"Fuck no! Let's take everyone!"

TheFlow

Banned
IMDB 9.4 = On average, people think the movie/tv show is a 9.4/10.

Rotten Tomatoes 94% = 94 out of 100 people think the movie is better than a 5/10.

just looked. Then that means people are ok with ghostbusters

audience score: 3.1/5

Critic average: 6.5

damn better than BvS

just looked. Then that means people are ok with ghostbusters

audience score: 3.1/5

Critic average: 6.5

damn better than BvS

Eh, I thought it was ok. 3/5 seems about right. With a better last 20 minutes or so I would have liked it a lot more. BvS I was miserable the entire time.

What is it saying, then?
People treat it like it's an average score or something, when it's the percentage of critics that found the movie to meet the minimum standard of "good".

Let's say there are 100 total critics. If every single critic gave a movie a 6/10, that movie would have a 100% on RT.

Now for the next movie, if 99 critics gave it a 10/10, and one critic gave it a 5/10, that movie would be a 99% on RT.

An amazing film with great reviews can have a lower score than a movie that everyone agrees is middling. And those two wildly different classes of movies can be a single point apart.

Looking at it from the other side, take a movie where all 100 critics give a 6/10 and then another movie that has all 100 give a 5/10, and now you're looking at a movie with a 100% on RT and a movie with a 0% on RT, even though they have almost identical ratings from critics.

It's a system that has very little valuable information to offer.

And as a positive/negative binary, it's a system that can (and often does) reward mediocrity. Safe, inoffensive films soar on Rotten Tomatoes.

TheFlow

Banned
People treat it like it's an average score or something, when it's the percentage of critics that found the movie to meet the minimum standard of "good".

Let's say there are 100 total critics. If every single critic gave a movie a 6/10, that movie would have a 100% on RT.

Now for the next movie, if 99 critics gave it a 10/10, and one critic gave it a 5/10, that movie would be a 99% on RT.

An amazing film with great reviews can have a lower score than a movie that everyone agrees is middling. And those two wildly different classes of movies can be a single point apart.

As a positive/negative binary, it's a system that can (and often does) reward mediocrity. Safe, inoffensive films soar on Rotten Tomatoes.
what? I see the opposite. bad films are low and good films are high with something new getting the fresh label

I never knew there were Mass Effect or Witcher comics. Love both properties, but am I safe to assume the comics are trash?

Rotten Tomatoes 94% = 94 out of 100 people think the movie is better than a 5/10.

Hence, why I find Rotten Tomatoes more worthwhile than other sources. I don't care about arbitrary ten point scale scores assigned to a movie, I'll happily make my own determination there. All I want to know is if a movie is trash so I don't waste money on it. RT provides a snapshot of that. The fresh designator tells you that critics feel the movie is above average.

Zombine

Banned
Man some super forgettable Image shit dropped around 2011-2012 from Image. Remember that book about that girl who fought those big robot creatures? Because I sure don't.

"The dumb luck was that Robert Kirkman would tell Ed Brubaker “no” and so Ed would call me to join him on THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST."

Boy did we dodge a bullet or what

Also, that Funeral for the Punisher is probably Fraction's first real highlight at Marvel Comics, Punisher: War Journal #4. Pick it up on Comixology if you want a good, funny high concept comic.

Top Bottom