• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

"The dumb luck was that Robert Kirkman would tell Ed Brubaker “no” and so Ed would call me to join him on THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST."

Boy did we dodge a bullet or what
If Fraction wasn't involved with Iron Fist, he wouldn't have had a relationship with Aja when it came time to do Hawkeye, so that might not have happened either.

If Fraction wasn't involved with Iron Fist, he wouldn't have had a relationship with Aja when it came time to do Hawkeye, so that might not have happened either.

I'm glad I live in this universe. Especially cuz the second half of Immortal Iron Fist is basically All Fraction, All the Time.

New Bryan Lee O' Malley Graphic Novel

worst-world.jpg

shoutouts to Zarya

arkon

How about Hinderkind? Another 10s Vertigo dud.
Hinterkind. I actually ended up really liking it but it was clear after a certain point the story was being rushed forward due to impending cancellation. Shame really because I thought the core concept had potential.

Still need to finish off the last couple of issues actually.

Nah, I agree with Messi. Sometimes a little Fraction goes a long way. I still don't understand a single bit of ODY-C, and most of Casanova confused the hell out of me.

If the rest of ODY-C is like issue 1, it's because it feels like he's trying too hard. He wants it to read like an epic but the writing and narrative point of view was all over the place.

frye

Casanova's still the most Matt Fraction-y thing he's ever written, it's his most "here's all the stuff I like" comic

Mindwipe

I generally love Faction, but yeah I couldn't get on with ODY-C at all. I think I was actually relieved to get to the last page of the first trade so I could read something else.

Hard to believe its been ten years since he started on Casanova and its only like halfway done. When its all said and done, its gonna be his magnum opus, the one book you can point towards and say "That's the Matt Fraction comic", like Preacher for Ennis or the Invisibles with Morrison. Which doesnt mean its necessarily the best, but its clearly the one where they were free to do anything and everything they thought about life and art, and all their other work can be traced back to this in some way.

Messi

Nah, I agree with Messi. Sometimes a little Fraction goes a long way. I still don't understand a single bit of ODY-C, and most of Casanova confused the hell out of me.

I didn't mean it as an insult. I was doing an order for IST recently and I had both volumes of Immortal Iron Fist in my cart meter read it. So I asked opinions on it and was told fairly strongly not to get the second volume. Even though I live fraction.

Looking at that DC Comic Con panel schedule and it seems that Super-Sons has no confirmed writer, but the artist looks to be Jorge Jimenez. Wonder if they'll announce the second wave their.
Also a new policy on the signings and events: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-new-sdcc-wristband-policy-signings-events
I thought this would be dumb but it actually makes sense, given that it's all big signings that would be wristbanded anyway

hell yes

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't mean it as an insult. I was doing an order for IST recently and I had both volumes of Immortal Iron Fist in my cart meter read it. So I asked opinions on it and was told fairly strongly not to get the second volume. Even though I live fraction.

I didn't either. He's written some of my favorite comics, and I still love a lot of his stuff, but I feel like when he goes all out experimental, like in ODY-C or some of Casanova, he mostly loses me.

With the first issues of Casanova, I felt like the backmatter was essential. Added a lot of important and meaningful context to what could otherwise seem random for the sake of being random.

I value the backmatter so much that I eventually got turned off by the refusal to include that stuff in collections, and then reprints with different backmatter. Now that I've gone all-digital, I'm not even clear what's in these collected editions that are on CMX.

I haven't really followed Fraction since he left Marvel. The creator-owned stuff he's done since just doesn't appeal to me.

frye

The second half of Brubaker/Fraction/Aja Immortal Iron Fist =/= the second half of Immortal Iron Fist (collected in that volume)

With the first issues of Casanova, I felt like the backmatter was essential. Added a lot of important and meaningful context to what could otherwise seem random for the sake of being random.

I value the backmatter so much that I eventually got turned off by the refusal to include that stuff in collections, and then reprints with different backmatter. Now that I've gone all-digital, I'm not even clear what's in these collected editions that are on CMX.

the digital versions on CMX are the best. Not only do you get the more polished colors for the first two volumes in a nice HD resolution, not only do you get the original backmatter, but Matt Fraction actually puts annotations to his own backmatter in the here and now. Like how at the time he saw Peter Jackson's King Kong and its TURBO RACIST version of the black natives so 2006 Matt is like "fuck yeah gon make all the black natives super smart cuz I aint racist", only for 2014 Matt to note "of course this just goes in the opposite direction by making them magical negroes who only exist in the story to help the white man out, dummy". Hindsight and all that.

I hope you didn't skip on the second half of the Fraction/Brubaker/Aja Iron Fist run, because WHOOPS

arkon

We'll get more Orc Stain when Stokoe remembers he used to be an illustrator. Seriously, what a waste of talent.
He's been producing artwork pretty consistently over the last few years so I don't know what you mean by this. His problem is he's slow. Understandably so when he's drawing that many wrinkles on orc penii

the digital versions on CMX are the best. Not only do you get the more polished colors for the first two volumes in a nice HD resolution, not only do you get the original backmatter, but Matt Fraction actually puts annotations to his own backmatter in the here and now. Like how at the time he saw Peter Jackson's King Kong and its TURBO RACIST version of the black natives so 2006 Matt is like "fuck yeah gon make all the black natives super smart cuz I aint racist", only for 2014 Matt to note "of course this just goes in the opposite direction by making them magical negroes who only exist in the story to help the white man out, dummy". Hindsight and all that.
That's some of the best news I've heard in comics in a while. I gotta get back on that.

this attitude is how you get Wonder Woman/Greg Rucka lettering

Listen, I've read those early 90s Legends of the Dark Knight Batman stories where everybody wrote Batman/Bruce Waynes narration captions in hard-to-read cursive on bad paper stock cuz Frank Miller did it in Year One. I've been through the trenches. I can handle anything.

He's been producing artwork pretty consistently over the last few years so I don't know what you mean by this. His problem is he's slow. Understandably so when he's drawing that many wrinkles on orc penii

Is he working on a comic? Orc Stain? Commissions? If it's taking you years to do something then somethings gotta give in his life or work.

I never knew there were Mass Effect or Witcher comics. Love both properties, but am I safe to assume the comics are trash?

I haven't read the Witcher books, so I can't say. But Mass Effect comics (and by extension, Dragon Age) comics are trash. I wanted to like them given that I love the setting in Mass Effect, but yeah. It's just barely mediocre most times.

Man some super forgettable Image shit dropped around 2011-2012 from Image. Remember that book about that girl who fought those big robot creatures? Because I sure don't.

Damn, I do. Vaguely. I don't remember the title, though. How many of you remember this gem?

Ha. I knew he'd do another OGN. O'Malley has never done an ongoing before Snot Girl, right? So it'll be interesting to see how his work reads piecemeal like this.

I generally love Faction, but yeah I couldn't get on with ODY-C at all. I think I was actually relieved to get to the last page of the first trade so I could read something else.

The art in ODY-C is really freaky and interesting, but the writing just didn't carry my interest. I dropped it after a couple issues.

Am I Sillymonkey or is Sillymonkey me?

Worse. You're SillyMessi.

Top Bottom